• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Nintendo lying about Xenoblade 2 release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
From November 2015 (source)

I think it's safe to assume that some of those hires were assisting on Breath of the Wild.
Very possible. They are being intentionally vague though, as expected. And just because they state something doesn't mean it's set in stone. I mean heck, look at all the 2017 date deniers for evidence of that!
No need to be rude--educate them instead.
Yes... educate me on how a series who's latest installment released in April 2015 in Japan couldn't possibly have a new title out by the end of 2017. People are making too many assumptions about the timeline of its development, given that it is an actual Xenoblade sequel while X was an offshoot, much work could have gone on concurrently.

Everyone is skeptical of the date... but I prefer to come at it from the angle where I acknowledge I don't know what goes on inside the studio or where all of their hires go, and that the 2017 date is a possibility since they have multiple times stated it.

But I don't want to bore some people with my "parroting" -- rude af tbh.

Peltz

Holidays 2017. Just you wait.

g64M2bP.gif
What is this from?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
E3 2017: Xenoblade 2 video.
E3 2018: first playable demo, gets lackluster impressions from gaming press.
E3 2019: conspicuously absent
E3 2020: Nintendo reveals a completely revamped X2 with realistic graphics
Holiday 2021: X2 released a couple weeks before Switch 2.

Halabane

Maybe they're not?

It's still 2017 for a whole 10 plus months. Really chill out. Don't call people liars until...oh I don't know...they lie maybe? Because right now well..lets say...you are using some form of #alternativefacts. I know this is a thing now with the old people. But lets see what happens. If it does then yup they were wrong but they got about a year. Lets chills till then.

Very possible. They are being intentionally vague though, as expected. And just because they state something doesn't mean it's set in stone. I mean heck, look at all the 2017 date deniers for evidence of that!

Well we know now that Monolith Soft's Tokyo studio has had a larger role in assisting on with Breath of the Wild than it did with Skyward Sword (source)
Monolith Soft. did assist with the development of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, though it was mostly with art / design. The thing is, their way of developing games was too different from Nintendo's for Eiji Aonuma and his team to be able to learn anything from them.

It was different for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, since Monolith Soft. is used to wide worlds, which is why their level designers assisted Eiji Aonuma's team with topography. It does make sense after all: Monolith Soft. successfully created a massive open world in Xenoblade Chronicles X, so they definitely knew a thing or two about world building.

The game is also featured prominently alongside Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the studio's recruitment website: http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/special/index.html#top

That being said, Monolith Soft still only played a supportive role in Breath of the Wild's development, so I'd imagine most of the Tokyo studio has been working on Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Malus

Well we know now that Monolith Soft's Tokyo studio has had a larger role in assisting on with Breath of the Wild than it did with Skyward Sword (source)

The game is also featured prominently alongside Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the studio's recruitment website: http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/special/index.html#top

That being said, Monolith Soft still only played a supportive role in Breath of the Wild's development, so I'd imagine most of the Tokyo studio has been working on Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

That quote gets me so hyped for BOTW.

EhoaVash

yeah this game screams to me 2018 lol

the presentation footage looked pretty rough with the framerate

anyway is it me or does this game feel so less ambitious than Xenoblade x ._.

X's first trailer was hype as fuck epic everything while i'm liking that they're going for more story in this game similar to xenoblade 1, so far i'm disappointed in character designs ( too young looking kids ) damn monolith can't just get characters right lol

X's first trailer was hype as fuck epic everything while i'm liking that they're going for more story in this game similar to xenoblade 1, so far i'm disappointed in character designs ( too young looking kids ) damn monolith can't just get characters right lol

The jump from Xenoblade Chronicles to Xenoblade Chronicles X felt a lot bigger to me because of the larger difference in power between the Wii and the Wii U compared to the Wii U and the Switch.

Xenoblade Chronicles X had a brand new HD engine designed for an open world game and pilotable mechs. Since the Switch isn't a drastic leap in power from the Wii U, it makes sense for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to be using the same engine that Xenoblade Chronicles X had. We also don't know if Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will have a structure closer to the first game or X.

That being said, the sense of scale seems promising to me.

tumblr_ojq2d0laic1urjgxlo1_400.gif

skypunch

Banned

X's first trailer was hype as fuck epic

Did X have you running on top of the body of an enormous, living, breathing creature which moved in real-time as you explored on top of it?

X trailer was pretty hype, but the game was a bit of a disappointment for me. A trailer is just a trailer.

Servbot24

Banned
Gamers' obsessions with the idea that people are "lying" to them is so bizarrely childlike. It sounds like you're about to go tattle to your moms or something.

No one is lying to you. No one is trying to get away with something. They are planning to release a game in 2017. Maybe they'll accomplish that, maybe they won't. Who cares.

kswiston

It will probably slip into next year. The equivalent reveal for XCX had a 2014 target, and that ended up being spring 2015 for Japan and December 2015 for the west.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It will probably slip into next year. The equivalent reveal for XCX had a 2014 target, and that ended up being spring 2015 for Japan and December 2015 for the west.

Yup, when "X from Monolith Soft" as Xenoblade Chronicles X was known then was revealed in the January 2013 Direct, it was scheduled for 2014.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be 2018. I'm under no illusions that it's almost done, regardless of what Nintendo is saying now. It will be a masterpiece when it's done though, that you can be sure of.

C8h1eGr.png

StereoVsn

Yup, when "X from Monolith Soft" as Xenoblade Chronicles X was known then was revealed in the January 2013 Direct, it was scheduled for 2014.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be 2018. I'm under no illusions that it's almost done, regardless of what Nintendo is saying now. It will be a masterpiece when it's done though, that you can be sure of.

C8h1eGr.png
Considering that Xenoblade Chronicles had its flows and Xenoblade X had huge problems, I don't know about masterpiece. I do agree on 2018 being quite likely and almost guaranteed for the Western release.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Considering that Xenoblade Chronicles had its flows and Xenoblade X had huge problems, I don't know about masterpiece. I do agree on 2018 being quite likely and almost guaranteed for the Western release.

It's all a matter of opinion. I thought XCX was an amazing game, and XC is one of my favourite games of all-time. What they've done with the Xenoblade franchise is just amazing for me. If there weren't a new 3D Zelda, hopefully a new Splatoon campaign, and an open-world 3D Mario coming, then Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would be the only Nintendo thing I am really, really hyped for.

I can tell you for sure though, that if Monolith Soft didn't get as much time as they are given, they wouldn't be able to make games nearly as good. As long as Nintendo doesn't force them to actually rush games, their overly optimistic release dates on some titles are relatively harmless, just don't expect 2017, especially outside Japan.

Khrno

http://i.imgur.com/A61V7XCl.jpg

It's just not realistic.

They need to be called out for shit like this. They won't LIE to my face like Square Enix and Sony do to PlayStation fans all the time.

Maybe the game won't release in 2017 and you might be vindicated, but OP, who are you to call other people liars? Where is your proof, what's backing you up, I think you are the one that should be called out for shit like this, for us you are just in the same position as you think of Nintendo.

skypunch

Banned

Come off it. Even masterpieces tend to have their flaws.

Would've preferred this a launch title instead of Zelda but yea Zelda gonna sell them a shitload of switches. Hope xc2 hits 2017. It will be lit.

I'd love it this year obviously, and it is possible, Monolith Soft do seem to be able to do impressive work in decent amounts of time.

But it wouldn't surprise me if it slipped into 2018 and Nintendo were just cheekily sticking it on the release list as a 'you never know, fingers crossed eh' type thing to help the release list look a little more filled out to those 'yea but then what????' people.

J@hranimo

Banned
Dudes really can't fathom that a new Xenoblade game can come out 2.5 years after Xenoblade X

like what

Let's revisit this after E3, ok?

Pikma

Banned
To be fair that's not always true anymore, you have games like Slain that came out in a very bad state but after patches is a much better game.

you couldn't fix No Man's Sky initial perception with a hundred patches, people will not suddenly start giving the product a 2nd or a 3rd chance that easily. It's not about the state, it's about the first impression

mieumieu

you couldn't fix No Man's Sky initial perception with a hundred patches, people will not suddenly start giving the product a 2nd or a 3rd chance that easily. It's not about the state, it's about the first impression

it only applies to hyped up games. And even so, you can always find ways to relaunch.

OmegaDL50

it only applies to hyped up games. And even so, you can always find ways to relaunch.

Pretty much. Driveclub is a testament for a game with a poor launch having an amazing turnaround.

A first impression isn't everything. If that was always the case then no amount of patches and updates would have changed the perception around Driveclub.

Same applies to Starbound which had a poor reception during it's pre v1.0 state and becoming much better experience when it finally got out of pre-release. Another good example is Diablo III at launch pre-Reaper of Souls with constant error 37's and loot system being completely screwed up over emphasis of the auction house. Once RoS came out with patch 2.0, the game was a dramatic improvement overall.

With proper updates and continuous support on a game, an initial impression of a game isn't end be all of a games chance for good critical reception or acclaim.

scamander

Banned
They just announced it and said confidently at multiple occasions it will launch this year in all territories. This is not the same situation as with XCX at all, which was announced in January 2013 with a projected 2014 release date.

Be prepared to eat crow, y'all.

Gutss

Cant blame you op to be this mad about this, playing a full openworld console game on a handheld is new to us and its exciting, we know its easy to develop a game on the switch maybe thats why this is coming this year, and this is not a port, this is a game developed within the switch.

Malus

I find it pretty unlikely that the sequel will be far smaller than the original. FWIW ShockingAlberto heard that it's as ambitious as X (correct me if I'm wrong).

Found the quote after a bit of digging. No other insight but at least I wasn't imagining it heh.

It exists, don't know if it will be shown at the reveal.

Exact words to me were "as ambitious as Xenoblade X was."

TDLink

People really need to learn the difference between a lie and an unmet goal.

This.

Also, Nintendo's not Square. It's rare for them to reveal a game that is years from release. They almost always only show games releasing within 12 months of that announcement. Zelda games are one of the few notable exceptions. If they're repeatedly saying this game is coming out this year then I definitely believe that's the intention.

Really suprised that people can't believe that 3 years is enough time for a new Xenoblade, especially when Takahashi said that the reason X took so long in the first place was that it was their "test game" for HD development and most of the time was spent learning how to go about it. Essentially they spent most of the time developing X laying the groundwork for their HD development framework. Now that they have all this down 2 coming out 3 years after development of X finished really isnt that far fetched.

takriel

This should be one of their big hitters for next year tbh. Breath of the Wild will still be on people's minds if this launches this year.

Felensis

Banned
Solely based on the footage shown I think its realistic to assume they will release it in 2017. Footage didn't look to me like something alpha early on in development. Quite the opposite, it looks really decent. While I absolutely can imagine that it might be postponed to 2018 right now I'm absolutely confident it will make it's 2017 target. Call them liars right now seems way over the fence to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom