• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Nintendo lying about Xenoblade 2 release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITT: People actually believe 2017 is the target date.

Personally, I thought it was their way of saying "PLEASE...PLEASE BUY THE SWITCH...PLEASE!!!"

Xenoblade is obscure enough that it'll be brushed over when it inevitably gets 'delayed'.

It's just not realistic.

They need to be called out for shit like this. They won't LIE to my face like Square Enix and Sony do to PlayStation fans all the time.

How do you know this? You personally have concrete information about when development began and what their internal projections are for when the game will be ready?

I don't understand posts like this.

This could very well be a game they started with their other team in Tokyo three years ago, when they were still working on Xenoblade X. For all we know, this game is nearly done, and it's being held back to space out the calendar, like Mario Odyssey.

I'm talking about the art style. Specifically the character design. It's the type of stylized design that plays well on the 3DS. I think it's possible that the game started it's pre-production life as a 3DS game. It would make sense. The 3DS is definitely a better option than the Wii U and the HD remake sets the platform up for a sequel.

Then the game moves to Switch.
There is no way this game started conception as a 3DS game. They had to make a lot of concessions to get the original to work on 3DS, and even then it had to be N3DS exclusive. The art style is a stylistic choice, nothing more.

Asd202

Lol this thread reminds me of this.

P5-Winter-PS3-Ann.jpg

If Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is far along in development it might make it to the holidays. I'm holding out for an early 2018 release just in case. A game with just a year projection always has me guesstimating the release a bit later.
Devs will give a year that they believe they can ship the product. But there are always bumps in development that could delay things.

Haha yeah Persona 5 release dates were a hilarious. At least from Japanese impressions the game totally delivered and that matters the most.

Malus

Why not?

The gap between Xenoblade chronicles (2011) & Xenoblade X (2015) is probably the largest gap the team has ever had. Making the engine open world engine for X is most likely the reason for this gap. Now that they have a kickass engine, they worked on Botw for exactly this reason, i think they'll start pumping games out.

Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (2002)
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (2003)
Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse (2004)
Baten Kaitos Origins (2006)
Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra (2006)

And many smaller titles inbetween even those.

I'm suddenly feeling more optimistic.

There is no way this game started conception as a 3DS game. They had to make a lot of concessions to get the original to work on 3DS, and even then it had to be N3DS exclusive. The art style is a stylistic choice, nothing more.

Yeah, they probably changed the character designs as a response to the complaints about Xenoblade X's designs. Didn't seem to have the desired impact though lol.

The idea that they moved production from 3DS to Switch would make me more pessimistic about a timely release if anything.

Mory Dunz

ITT: People actually believe 2017 is the target date.

Personally, I thought it was their way of saying "PLEASE...PLEASE BUY THE SWITCH...PLEASE!!!"

Xenoblade is obscure enough that it'll be brushed over when it inevitably gets 'delayed'.

um, they could've announced games for 2018 that would create a lot more hype and sell systems than....xenobalde. If that was the goal

routerbad

Banned
It's coming 3 months after 2016 launch day on the Switch.

It's coming 15 months after the first set of placeholder dates at retailers. Dec 2016 was never officially confirmed (as far as I can remember), and I'm sure by the time they could have confirmed that, they'd already moved the switch back to 2017 along with Zelda.

Can't wait to play it, but I'm willing to acknowledge that Nintendo, for better or worse (usually better) aren't afraid to delay games, but I don't doubt they plan on having XC2 ready for release this year.

I'm suddenly feeling more optimistic.
To be fair, the titles he listed are much more reduced in scope than the original Xenoblade, XBCX, and likely XBC2. Still, I think 2 and a half years is plenty of time for them to have made the game. It's certainly not unbelievable.

Toxi

Banned
I doubt it's coming out in 2017 with what we know, but I don't think that giving an unrealistic-looking target date is a lie. It's an estimate subject to change.

Zesh

I do think that very late 2017 is possible in Japan (still unlikely though, of course). No way it comes out this year in the west.

Buggy Loop

To be fair, the titles he listed are much more reduced in scope than the original Xenoblade, XBCX, and likely XBC2. Still, I think 2 and a half years is plenty of time for them to have made the game. It's certainly not unbelievable.

Scope is dependant of the era of developement. On PS2 & Gamecube era, they were as much of a big scope as they could be. With GTAIII starting the open world genre on PS2, nowadays it's almost everywhere. But i certainly don't recall Xenosaga trilogy as small scope.

You think there's no 2018 Switch bigger than.....Xenoblade??
I...what?

Heck I even think there's a couple more 2017 games bigger than Xeno.

Bigger than Xenoblade? Nope. Retro aside, I don't see them blowing our minds away. With Zelda, Mario, MK8 and Smash ports coming, Splatoon 2 and a supposed Pokemon Stars game, what will be bigger than Xenoblade 2?

Mario Party Switch?
Pikmin 4?

I'm talking about the art style. Specifically the character design. It's the type of stylized design that plays well on the 3DS. I think it's possible that the game started it's pre-production life as a 3DS game. It would make sense. The 3DS is definitely a better option than the Wii U and the HD remake sets the platform up for a sequel.

Then the game moves to Switch.
Even in terms of character designs, look at most 3DS games. Much slimpler or Chibi.
They got a new artist to make more stylized characters which was a big issue with XCX's ugly character models.
None of the environments show any signs of being from a 3DS origin, at least not enough to say "it started on 3DS and that's why it'll be out sooner"

Internally they are probably looking at 2017 in Japan and TBD everywhere else.

It's interesting that a major reason the first-party library in 2017 looks scarce to a lot of people is that nobody believed Xenoblade 2 would actually come so soon. I don't expect it either, certainly not in the west, although it's worth bearing in mind that as far as localization labour goes, it isn't directly competing with the crunch for any other localization-heavy games we know about, like the usual all-hands-on-deck projects—Animal Crossing (I doubt the mobile game will have as much dialogue in it as a standard entry), Fire Emblem (Echoes will be out the door in May), occasionally Paper Mario.

Even so, the first public showings of a partly localized Xenoblade X came 6-8 months before the game itself, from the Treehouse Direct in April 2015 where they first committed to the names of planetary regions and Skells instead of Dolls, to a trailer with English text (but no voices) at E3 that year. That might be a handy reference for clues to the production/release schedule in the west. And from it, it's not unthinkable from what we've seen that we'll get it by the end of the year, just not at all expected.

I think our preconceptions of Xenoblade as perpetually delayed come from a number of things:

- The experience of the first Xenoblade's belated western release;
- The three-year wait from the January 2013 unveiling of 'X';
- That a two-year gap from Xenoblade X to 2 seems implausibly short.

Concerning the third of these, I think it's safe to surmise that pre-production/concept/design/engine work could have been done concurrently with the late stages of X and the asset/environment support for BotW. And I expect there was less involved in those preparatory stages than the volume of labour in the early development of X, a staggeringly ambitious world (and tangled, overbaked plot) built up from scratch during a difficult period of transition to HD.

Rncewind

this suspicion "only" arrise because some people think it gonna be the scope of Xenoblade chronicles (or even bigger) and it gonna be more complex (or more complex)

two things that most people just imagine

this could be a far smaller game then the previous entrees

this suspicion "only" arrise because some people think it gonna be the scope of Xenoblade chronicles (or even bigger) and it gonna be more complex (or more complex)

I imagine it'll be fairly big, likely smaller than XCX which was 5x bigger than XC and it was also their first HD project. With the engine and assets I imagine it should be easier to make

Sandfox

Bigger than Xenoblade? Nope. Retro aside, I don't see them blowing our minds away. With Zelda, Mario, MK8 and Smash ports coming, Splatoon 2 and a supposed Pokemon Stars game, what will be bigger than Xenoblade 2?

Mario Party Switch?
Pikmin 4?

Fire Emblem has already been announced for 2018 so...

Mario Party Switch?
Pikmin 4?

Is this a real question... Fire Emblem is already announced and it is bigger than xenoblade..

udivision

Mario Party Switch?
Pikmin 4?

Let's put it this way.

Xenoblade is very niche.

SalvaPot

Well, if they reuse a few Xenoblade X assets and they got used to working in HD I could see it happening if they started working as soon as X was ready.

Malus

I find it pretty unlikely that the sequel will be far smaller than the original. FWIW ShockingAlberto heard that it's as ambitious as X (correct me if I'm wrong).

Let's put it this way.

Xenoblade is very niche.

I hope that changes as Nintendo continues to give the series bigger and bigger exposure.

It's just not realistic.

They need to be called out for shit like this. They won't LIE to my face like Square Enix and Sony do to PlayStation fans all the time.

Just because you think it's not realistic doesn't mean Nintendo is lying. I mean, it is still possible for them to release Xenoblade in 2017 due to various factors (having an engine for HD gaming thanks to XCX should cut down development time considerably).

Jesus, can we at least see how Xenoblade's development is going along before we crucify Nintendo?

Switch is region free, so they don't have to waste time localizing it.

Switch being region-free has absolutely nothing to do with localization.

tebunker

Banned
A61V7XCl.jpg

It's just not realistic.

Oh shit, you work for Monolith ?? Damn, any other hot insider tips?

no seriously, why do you care? Like if they hit the date they do? If they don't and the game still comes out? Sweet? Does it matter? Will your life not go on if this game or any other game doesn't come out or comes out late?

Are you being serious? Lying?

They don't even have a specific date. The game is clearly tentative, and see as you have no evidence of anything, the whole concept of this thread and s nonsense.

Oxirane

That's not how localization works... The system doesn't magically localize the game for each region.

But people could just play the Japanese version, assuming it releases this year. Meaning Nintendo could delay the localized version indefinitely and still have it hit the target date.
The Switch is now a global machine, so a release in any region counts.

DMONKUMA

LOL. I like that you single those two out when every fucking company including Nintendo has done this a couple times now.

I don't believe in 2017 for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom