• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Nintendo lying about Xenoblade 2 release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimeBeef

It's just not realistic.

They need to be called out for shit like this. They won't LIE to my face like Square Enix and Sony do to PlayStation fans all the time.

How do you know? How do you not know it is the Japanese release date? Do you know when production began?

Everyone else does. Why should Nintendo not?

Just do what I imagine most of us do at this point, don't expect launch targets to ever be right unless it's like 6 months away.

Oregano

But so did the first major xenoblade x trailer, and that was a couple years before release. I'm definitely hoping they're further along, need a Monolith RPG on my future switch asap!

You mean the one with no dialogue, no properly established characters and not a single hint of a plot?

XB2 at the very least already has the characters established, some plot established and more notably it has VA recorded.

Stranger things have happened. I don't doubt that they are targeting a 2017 release for Japan (and if it slips, then only into early 2018) and with them repeatedly giving it a 2017 window for the west as well, they might just have managed to change the production pipeline in a way that a simultaneous localization is possible this time around.

Fire Emblem Echoes is coming out shortly after the Japanese release in the west as well, so maybe they'll be able to manage the same thing with Xenoblade 2. With Monolith more and more becoming one of Nintendo's flagship studios, it certainly would be to the benefit of everyone to reduce the gap between Japanese and western release.

The other thing to note is that Treehouse hasn't had anything to localize in quite a while, considering the small amount of releases for WiiU last year. I'm sure they've had time to work on localizations for Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and other games during their development. I'm not saying Xenoblade is for sure coming out in 2017, but it's not unbelievable if the game is fairly far along.

mp1990

Banned
Your beliefs are interesting to say the least, lol. It is much more likely that FE Warriors and Xenoblade 2 will release this year in the west than it is for Switch to get Overwatch, Battlefront, or Call of Duty.

i don't think overwatch is that big of a stretch (i remember blizzard tweeting about the Switch the day it was announced) but yeah the rest is just wishful thinking

Eolz

They can't be lying if they're merely just delusional.

reece.JPG

wrowa

How do you know? How do you not know it is the Japanese release date? Do you know when production began?

Pretty sure this is not about the Japanese release date.

Nintendo's release schedule lists Xenoblade 2 as a 2017 title not only for Japan, but for the US and Europe as well. It's been listed as a 2017 release on NoA's site ever since its reveal, actually, and I believe Reggie also talked about it as one of NA's 2017 releases. So, currently, it's officially slated for a 2017 release worldwide. The question is whether or not that's actually realistic (which Sammy obviously thinks it's not).

You mean the one with no dialogue, no properly established characters and not a single hint of a plot?

XB2 at the very least already has the characters established, some plot established and more notably it has VA recorded.
First trailer didn't even have a name either

hatchx

Banned
I doubt XC2 has the online components or sheer size of XCX. It's also kind of the third in a trilogy, so the engine and tech is in place already.

The only reason I'd not believe a 2017 release was due to the rocky performance and rough trailer they showed on Jan.12th.

I can see it going both ways really, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, and it seems to be standard practice with games publishers to overpromise on release dates.

At E3 2013 the Zelda trailer finished with a '2014' at the end. Remember that?

They're lying because it's standard in this industry to put dates that you know you won't make out there.

Anyone that has followed release schedules for games for even a few years knows there's about a 1% chance that game is coming out this year.

But that's the norm so they're doing it. Hard to blame them as an individual entity

i don't think overwatch is that big of a stretch (i remember blizzard tweeting about the Switch the day it was announced) but yeah the rest is just wishful thinking

Considering kids at the library I work at can play Overwatch on the tiny toasters we have, I don't doubt the Switch can run the game. It's more a matter of Blizzard wanting to port the game and support it on the platform. I do think it would do well with the Nintendo audience though.

"Man there must be something Switch related left to bitch about..."

They mulliganed the entire year last year and Monolith has had two years to work on it. My guess is it will come out in early December after Mario hits in late November.

routerbad

Banned
I understand where you're coming from OP. I want to believe that it will come this year, or that they intend for it to... That said.. I remember this:

2965039-2016.jpg

13ruce

Banned
Early 2018 if it does not make it in Eu and US, they can always announce retro's game or a smash port etc and make people go crazy in a good way.

2 years or more after Xenoblade Chronicles X released, how is this not realistic?

(I still hope they release Xenoblade Chronicles X, and every other Wii-U exclusive on Switch at some point.)

RK128

"Man there must be something Switch related left to bitch about..."

They mulliganed the entire year last year and Monolith has had two years to work on it. My guess is it will come out in early December after Mario hits in late November.

Likely longer considering most of the work done on Xenoblade X wrapped up in Late 2014 (with the early half of the year getting the game hitting 'gold' and them working with the Treehouse for localization with a smaller team most likely).

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a 2017 release in Japan but I doubt NA/EU will get the game this year. But considering how much of a push NoA and NoE is putting behind it.....I guess they are confident in hitting a 2017 release.

Hattori

Banned
I understand where you're coming from OP. I want to believe that it will come this year, or that they intend for it to... That said.. I remember this:

Screen-Shot-2015-11-12-at-3.00.38-PM.png
Surrounding the circumstances of the target platform at the time, I can't really blame them for delaying the game. It's a flagship franchise, there was no way they'll let it rot with the Wii U i.e. Skyward Sword

Going off what they shown in the trailer, 2017 Japan seems feasable.

Compare the first trailers for Xenoblade and Chronicles X

You see a whole lot of nondescript gameplay moments, placeholder UI and other rough edges in general. You don't even see the the faces until the very end in XCX's case. Xenoblade 2's trailer has cutscene clips and voice acting. That alone makes me think its farther along than the other 2 games when they were revealed.

mp1990

Banned
Considering kids at the library I work at can play Overwatch on the tiny toasters we have, I don't doubt the Switch can run the game. It's more a matter of Blizzard wanting to port the game and support it on the platform. I do think it would do well with the Nintendo audience though.

yeah i feel that an easily approachable FPS with a cartoony artstyle like OW would do well on the switch

routerbad

Banned
Surrounding the circumstances of the target platform at the time, I can't really blame them for delaying the game. It's a flagship franchise, there was no way they'll let it rot with the Wii U i.e. Skyward Sword

I don't blame them at all. I understand Nintendo's ethos when making games. They want it to be as good as it can be. I'm glad they are like that, because BoTW looks to be masterclass game design.

I do remember, though, that I was supposed to have been playing it in 2015, then in 2016.

When did Sony lie about a release date? Anyway I don't doubt that it's coming out in Japan this year, the localisation is another story.

Malus

You see a whole lot of nondescript gameplay moments, placeholder UI and other rough edges in general. You don't even see the the faces until the very end in XCX's case. Xenoblade 2's trailer has cutscene clips and voice acting. That alone makes me think its farther along than the other 2 games when they were revealed.

Eh when looking at the trailers I just see two games that are focused on different things. X showed a lot more combat and enemies, all the different abilities of the Skells, and a wider view of the world. 2 is showing more story, characters, and towns. 2 doesn't show a UI at all.

edit: I just realized you posted the original Xenoblade and Xenoblade X trailers lol my bad. I'm talking about X and Xenoblade 2 which people are comparing above.

edit2: Damn the original Xenoblade trailer wasn't so great. That song choice :x

EndMerit

Not that I'd ever do that, but I kind of wish I had enough confidence to walk in the middle of room full of people and start screaming.

Looking at the artstyle, I think it's possible that the game started its life as a 3DS game and then moved to the Switch. With that in mind, I don't think it's unreasonable to say that it could be ready this year.

Pokemaniac

The trailer looks significantly farther along than initial trailers for the previous games. And if they got an early start on localization, the gap between Japanese and English releases could be significantly reduced. I don't see why the 2017 release date should just be dismissed out of hand.

Kindekuma

Banned
Lol this thread reminds me of this.

P5-Winter-PS3-Ann.jpg

If Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is far along in development it might make it to the holidays. I'm holding out for an early 2018 release just in case. A game with just a year projection always has me guesstimating the release a bit later.
Devs will give a year that they believe they can ship the product. But there are always bumps in development that could delay things.

Nanashrew

Banned

XCX trailer also shows only a single area of the game while the XC and XC2 trailer show many.

Lol this thread reminds me of this.

P5-Winter-PS3-Ann.jpg

If Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is far along in development it might make it to the holidays. I'm holding out for an early 2018 release just in case. A game with just a year projection always has me guesstimating the release a bit later.
Devs will give a year that they believe they can ship the product. But there are always bumps in development that could delay things.

Perfectly reasonable. Spring 2018 could be a possibility.

I have no doubt the game will be ready by then.

The real concern is if Nintendo will be compelled to let Mario carry their upcoming holiday lineup solo and push X2 to Q1 2018 if nothing big can be released that quarter.

You might need to look at more 3DS games

I'm talking about the art style. Specifically the character design. It's the type of stylized design that plays well on the 3DS. I think it's possible that the game started it's pre-production life as a 3DS game. It would make sense. The 3DS is definitely a better option than the Wii U and the HD remake sets the platform up for a sequel.

Then the game moves to Switch.

Maybe development is going fine so far and they're not anticipating a delay as of this moment?

Oh no, that couldn't be it. All developers know precisely how long game dev lasts and what issues and when they'll run into them.

I hope the game hits 2017 to expose the stupidity of this thread.

Buggy Loop

Why not?

The gap between Xenoblade chronicles (2011) & Xenoblade X (2015) is probably the largest gap the team has ever had. Making the engine open world engine for X is most likely the reason for this gap. Now that they have a kickass engine, they worked on Botw for exactly this reason, i think they'll start pumping games out.

Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (2002)
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (2003)
Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse (2004)
Baten Kaitos Origins (2006)
Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra (2006)

And many smaller titles inbetween even those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom