• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Nintendo lying about Xenoblade 2 release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

If they say 2017, i'll believe it till otherwise.

Personally I don't think it's gonna happen, but i'm not going to pretend to know how much they've probably been working on the game outside of the fact that they just seem to want to have more consistent WW launches.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
After Zelda I won't trust them, and the vague 2017 date obviously means late 2017 at best, any small delay probably will push it to 2018... but hey, it makes the list look good.
Switch is region free, so they don't have to waste time localizing it.
They still have to localise it (presuming they want to)

They can't be lying if they're merely just delusional.

maxresdefault.jpg

I have little reason to see XC2 come in 2017. It's probably going to be finished next year. I know how long the development these kinds of games are.

MicH

This thread seems extremely premature. There are still 10 months left of 2017 so it being released this year is not impossible at all. For all we know this has been in development for a long time.

I have little reason to see XC2 come in 2017. It's probably going to be finished next year. I know how long the development these kinds of games are.

But you don't even have a clue how long Monolith, or parts of monolith, are working on this game. So every assumptions are meaningless.

All we know is the TBA 2017 date, and saw a trailer with different locations and even story cut scenes, that hints of a game far in development.

imjust1n

Banned
Monolith split into 2 teams one was Xenoblade Chronicles X team other was Xenoblade Chronicles 2 team....its not hard to realize that a game can come out a year after..when there are 2 teams lol

skypunch

Banned
Monolith split into 2 teams one was Xenoblade Chronicles X team other was Xenoblade Chronicles 2 team....its not hard to realize that a game can come out a year after..when there are 2 teams lol

Where did you hear this? This is completely false. There is only one Xenoblade team. The same team who is working on XB2 is the same team who worked on X.

I keep seeing people bring this up but have never seen any actual evidence supporting it.

-Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X were made by the same team in Monolith Soft's Tokyo studio
-Monolith Soft's website shows the Tokyo studio is developing Xenoblade Chronicles 2
-Although Monolith Soft does have a second studio in Kyoto, it works as an asset house that assists on other projects instead of developing any games on its own
-The only second team at Monolith Soft seems to be the one that has developed the Project X Zone games which are much smaller in scope than any of the Xenoblade titles

DMONKUMA

Pretty much both Sony and MS 2015 E3s were basically vaporware showcases.

Well more to the point is that everyone has massive delays and vaporware. Scalebound and Project Giant Robot were most recent. Long delays see stuff like Zelda, Persona, FFXV, Last Guardian, The Division and etc...

jmizzal

How do you know? Have you been in the room with the devs developing the game? Thats the target release date, if it gets delayed it wont be the first and wont be the last game to be delayed

Caelus

I think it's a pretty reasonable target year.

I know people are burned out by Breath of the Wild's several release year changes, but that game's development involved extensive open-world physics testing and simultaneous porting.

I think we'll see Xenoblade 2 late this year or early next year, knowing nothing about its development time of course.

Kyzer

Banned
I thought this was going to be the rumored monolith 3ds game when it was being shown, maybe thats how it started development, and theyve been working on it a while?

bigmac996

You mean the one with no dialogue, no properly established characters and not a single hint of a plot?

XB2 at the very least already has the characters established, some plot established and more notably it has VA recorded.

Yet barely any gameplay footage, and no battle footage unlike the X trailer. A bit of cutscenes and story footage doesn't really say anything about how far along the development process is. Look at the Final Fantasy 7 remake trailer from 2015. It has cutscenes, story footage and voice acting and yet it's still a long way off.

All we can really do is wait and see. Everything we're saying is pure conjecture. I think we all want it this year anyway, but it'd be good not to get hopes up.

They're trying to sell a new console, that's why. People for whom Xenoblade is a console-seller aren't going to pre-order this thing if they know they have an entire year before the game is out. They'll wait and see. Maybe there's a price cut, maybe launch units have a hardware defect, etc.

Rootbeer

Banned
Doesn't it used a different dev team within Monolith than X did, which is why they are able to release it so close to X?

I just hope it makes 2017. At least in Japan. If we have to wait until Q1 or Q2 of 2018 for it in the USA, I'll accept that. Hopefully not much longer though.

I think this is an important title to get out there in 2017/18 to have a strong JRPG presence on the Switch. It will help get other developers making similar games on board once the install base for those fans takes off.

I'm honestly amazed that people can still have hope in their hearts in this era of every video game getting delayed. I just mentally add a year to every release date I see and don't believe anything until I see that a game has gone gold.

DonShula

Of all the unwarranted crap reasons to make a thread out there, I'm actually a little sympathetic to this one. No, there's no proof. But when Nintendo gives you a list of games with dates, and all of them landing this year have at least some semi-specific timeframe attached to them except one, and you know Nintendo's history... yeah. I'll believe it when they date it. I'm not even 100% reassured they won't delay Mario, and it got a season.

I thought this was going to be the rumored monolith 3ds game when it was being shown, maybe thats how it started development, and theyve been working on it a while?

Monolith Soft's Kyoto studio was recruiting for a 3DS project a few years back, but that studio doesn't make its own games. Instead it assists on projects like Animal Crossing New Leaf and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. I'm pretty sure that's where the rumors of a Monolith Soft 3DS project came from since a lot of people don't seem to know the Kyoto Studio is an asset house.

Kyzer

Banned
The Kyoto studio was recruiting for a 3DS project a few years back, but that studio doesn't make its own games. Instead it assists on projects like Animal Crossing New Leaf and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. I'm pretty sure that's where the rumors of a Monolith Soft 3DS project came from.

Probably false. The artwork was just for recruitment.

welp. 2018-19 confirmed.

skypunch

Banned
There was talk of a hiring spree some time back, I remember it being discussed in a previous XB2 thread.

I don't understand how that leads people to conclude that the Xenoblade team is being split into an X team and a Xenoblade team. It makes no sense.

If I remember correctly, the hiring spree was mostly for Kyoto Monolith.

OmegaDL50

That is not enough for a game of this size.

That's not necessarily true. For one thing Takahashi did admit that Xenoblade X was an experiment for future development. In this case they could be using the same underlying engine that Xenoblade X was developed with but with new assets such as character models.

As he stated in this interview here = http://time.com/4149809/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-tetsuya-takahashi/

Takahashi said:
"The design focus for this game was on map exploration and character builds during battle," says Takahashi. "We deliberately distanced ourselves from having philosophical themes intertwined with the core of the story. Given that we at Monolith Soft had no experience with developing HD titles, our goal with this project was to experiment with and implement the assorted tech skills we needed for HD game development. We decided that trying to balance that with an epic theme-laden story would pose difficulties. Our hope is that we can start by creating the core system, then expand on the story and thematic elements in our future project."

An engine itself is arguably the most challenging part of development. If they have a workable engine to use already then they can immediately start on asset creation.

Xenoblade when it was at it's code name of X in earliest points of development and the initial teaser trailer which debuted in 2013, only for it to come to a full release in Japan on April 2015. Two Years.

It seems much more likely that Xenoblade 2 isn't being developed entirely from the ground up from scratch on an entirely new engine, which would explain a very long development period. The only reason for possibly a quick turn around is if Monolith is simply reusing the engine they already have from Xenoblade X and are just doing new asset creation such as character and monster designs and world layout.

2 years isn't out of the realm of possibility if you consider engine reuse.

There was talk of a hiring spree some time back, I remember it being discussed in a previous XB2 thread.
From November 2015 (source)
Back in October, Monolith Soft posted a notice about a "mass hiring" for 3D designers, and many assumed another one of these lengthy JRPGs was in the studio's future. But Takahashi explained that that particular posting was for support roles; in the past, the company has helped on titles like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, and more recently, both new Animal Crossing 3DS games and Splatoon. Monolith is currently supporting a handful of other Nintendo projects, specifically projects needing map design and "interesting adventure elements."
I think it's safe to assume that some of those hires were assisting on Breath of the Wild.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
A61V7XCl.jpg

It's just not realistic.

They need to be called out for shit like this. They won't LIE to my face like Square Enix and Sony do to PlayStation fans all the time.

Lol is this a joke post? They're targeting 2017 for release. That's not lying. It could be an overly optimistic estimate, but that's not lying lol. So I guess every cancelled game is a lie then right? "Scalebound is coming to XB1.... Years later, we cancelled Scalebound". Clearly Microsoft was lying, right? :p.

What a ridiculous post. They've stated multiple times it'll be 2017 for both US and Japan. You don't know what state the game is in yet.

Atlus did this too. Knowing full well it had no chance.

Either way though, I love Takahashi's games so it'll probably be great whenever it comes.

I agree - no chance it releases in 2017.

Would love to be wrong, of course. But I won't be.

This. I hope I'm wrong but I fell for it with XCX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom