• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Nintendo lying about Xenoblade 2 release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

I hope you are looking forward to the E3 trailer dubbed in Japanese. Hahahahahahaha.

I mean, Fire Emblem Echoes is out in 4 months, and that trailer was in Japanese. So it wouldn't mean anything for Xenoblade 2, especially when X had a JP trailer at E3 2015 and still came out that year.

TheJoRu

I think it has a chance of making 2017...in Japan. For the rest of us I'd say something like April or June 2018 is more likely.

Though that's my more optimistic guess; could see it being something like April 2018 in Japan and then September-October for NA/EU as well.

My personal belief is that Fire emblem warriors and Xenoblade 2 are coming out in Japan only in 2017.

I believe Splatoon 2, mk8, arms, Mario will all be worldwide releases.

I still believe that either Retros game or Metroid are coming out in 2017, along with Pokemon stars.

I also believe while not many, Nintendo has a few third party surprises for us at E3, Fifa, Nba, Skyrim, Sonic we know.

I still think we get a western third party shooter for the holidays (Cod, destiny 2, star wars, Overwatch, or something else).

objection-vector.png

He's just bullshitting.

VDenter

Banned
what size pray tell

Its probably reasonable to expect this game to be the same if not bigger size than the first Xenoblade. Games these days with that scope rarely have a dev cycle of 3 years unless you want an unfinished mess. Heck its hard to take Nintendo seriously, remember when Breath of the Wild was coming out in 2015?

Dweebo

Banned
I'm happy with the release schedule of the Switch but yea they added this in there to fluff that up which I don't think they should have. Late 2018 at the earliest.

Maybe Nintendo could have been working on it for a while? I mean all SE and sony ever does is give us a trailer with nothing on it

jay

It's a PR lie so it doesn't count as a lie. PR people wouldn't have much to say if you start limiting them to truth.

Blobbers

yeah, if your release date is literally just *year* or "early *year*" and it's supposed to come out in 12 months or less from the time of the announcement, I'm not gonna pay it any mind.

The exact same thing happened to Nioh and Nier, and maybe Horizon. Who are you trying to fool? We know you're giving us these false release dates because game development takes time and you just can't wait 3-6 months before the actual release date to announce your big AAA game. Gotta start that hype cycle early

SRTtoZ

Yea its most likely not coming out this year but Nintendo is trying to get people to buy in early. I can't really blame them, all the companies use bullshit release dates.

_PsiFire_

Well, that's 2017 fiscal year, they have more than 1 year to finish the Japanese version of the game.

They finished XCX early 2015 since the Japan release was April 29th that year.

They will have had 3 years since that time.

Xenoblade Chronicles came out June 10, 2010 in Japan.

To think, they reworked an engine for HD in less than 4 years. An engine they probably didn't have to expand too much for the Switch.

It's possible they can complete XB2 in approximately 3 years.

Nibel

Dunno, the game looks "simpler" than XCX for example

And who knows what the scope will be and how long they've been working on it

ksamedi

Why is it not realistic? It uses the same concept as xenoblade. The engine and battle system of X is probably heavily reused. 2 and a half years sounds about right for me.

Eolz

What if they're not lying at all? New tag?
Wouldn't be the first time that they unveil something close to release and don't show much until later tbh...

Its probably reasonable to expect this game to be the same if not bigger size than the first Xenoblade. Games these days with that scope rarely have a dev cycle of 3 years unless you want an unfinished mess. Heck its hard to take Nintendo seriously, remember when Breath of the Wild was coming out in 2015?

Is it? It's not like we didn't see a bunch of the game already, it seems like it's pretty far in development. We don't really know the size, how much time has Monlith been working on it and if they have some extra help from Nintendo or not. I mean, I think a 2018 release is entirely possible and maybe even probable but that just conjecture at this point, we don't know anything about it

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Maybe Japan but there's no way its releasing in North America this year.

Wagram

I don't think they're intentionally lying, but I do believe they're overly optimistic. This team will not hit 2017 and I would be shocked if they even hit 2018.

Oregano

Monolith is making a big deal about the fact they are releasing two big games this year on their website. They might miss 2017 but they at least seem to be actually aiming for it.

bigmac996

Maybe they're way further along than expected? The trailer definitely seemed like they were pretty far along.

But so did the first major xenoblade x trailer, and that was a couple years before release. I'm definitely hoping they're further along, need a Monolith RPG on my future switch asap!

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't think they're intentionally lying, but I do believe they're overly optimistic. This team will not hit 2017 and I would be shocked if they even hit 2018.

2018 would be a full 3 year development cycle. Plus they have the engine and tools this time, which they didn't have for XCX because they had to build those things.

btrboyev

No reason to believe they are lying. It's using the same engine as Chronicles X, they have been working on it for at least 2 years.

It's also not a huge open world game like C was. It will be more linear for sure.

Nintendo's pants are surely on fire with this one.
On the other hand it's nice to see Nintendo adhering to modern gaming standards here.

To make it seem like the first year of the Switch has more games than it does. They've done this before. Like with The Wonderful 101 announced to be a launch window game when it was announced, yet in the Iwata Asks it was revealed that the game had a long way to go at that point. And then I seriously doubt Nintendo ever had any intention of releasing Tropical Freeze in 2013 less than a month from 3D World even though Retro was done with it. It's just what they do, and yes, they SHOULD be called out for it.

But hey, maybe Xenoblade 2 will be released this year, we don't know, but I get your reason to doubt them.

Josh5890

Coming out and saying that Nintendo is lying is a stretch of a statement, unless you have inside knowledge of the development going on?

jrcbandit

Maybe Japan but there's no way its releasing in North America this year.

That's true enough, but even if it is Japan only 2017, there's nothing wrong with listing it as a 2017 release date. The event it premiered at was in Japanese, taking place in Japan...

My personal belief is that Fire emblem warriors and Xenoblade 2 are coming out in Japan only in 2017.

I believe Splatoon 2, mk8, arms, Mario will all be worldwide releases.

I still believe that either Retros game or Metroid are coming out in 2017, along with Pokemon stars.

I also believe while not many, Nintendo has a few third party surprises for us at E3, Fifa, Nba, Skyrim, Sonic we know.

I still think we get a western third party shooter for the holidays (Cod, destiny 2, star wars, Overwatch, or something else).

Your beliefs are interesting to say the least, lol. It is much more likely that FE Warriors and Xenoblade 2 will release this year in the west than it is for Switch to get Overwatch, Battlefront, or Call of Duty.

Brannon

Oh it's coming out in 2017.

In Japan.

People need to stop forgetting that Nintendo is Japan-centric as all hell and that that is what colors everything they do.

"StreetPass 1.0 is worthless in Oklahoma!"

"Well that's just a weird way of saying Osaka lol."

wrowa

Stranger things have happened. I don't doubt that they are targeting a 2017 release for Japan (and if it slips, then only into early 2018) and with them repeatedly giving it a 2017 window for the west as well, they might just have managed to change the production pipeline in a way that a simultaneous localization is possible this time around.

Fire Emblem Echoes is coming out shortly after the Japanese release in the west as well, so maybe they'll be able to manage the same thing with Xenoblade 2. With Monolith more and more becoming one of Nintendo's flagship studios, it certainly would be to the benefit of everyone to reduce the gap between Japanese and western release.

RK128

My bet is that it will make 2017 in Japan but will be a Spring/Summer games for NA/EU in 2018. If they are confident in hitting 2017, they likely are talking about the JP version and NOT the US/EU version.

Nintendo did this song and dance before with Xenoblade X and that game taking ages to finally release (two years after it's announcement) so I wouldn't be shocked if they pulled the same thing to make the Switch line-up more impressive looking.

But like another poster said, it has voice acting. That indicates the JP script is making progress, which also shows that the story is likely in the final phases of being complete. So it could help the statement that it will release in 2017. But I strongly, strongly doubt it will make 2017 in NA/EU.

I half expect them to announced a Xenoblade X port for the Switch to make up for the likely delay for Xenoblade 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom