• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?

univbee

I'm not trying to say that Windows is perfect.
But I don't think someone has the right to complain that it's 2017 and things should "just work", when they are running an OS that was released in 2009, has been superseded twice, and support for it ended years ago

Windows 7 is still supported until 2020, it's just not getting new service packs or major new features now. Hell, most places selling PC's for enterprise use still come with Windows 7 Pro installed by default (and a Windows 10 Pro license in the BIOS so you can straight-install that if you want).

All paid Microsoft software that isn't games has a 5-year period following its initial release of "mainline" support where major new features can be added, including new service packs (which you were expected to install within 2 years of release to keep receiving security updates and support, and this was also true for normal smaller security updates), new Internet Explorer builds back when that was still a thing, things like that. You were also allowed free technical support calls to Microsoft (but I think there was a limit on how many) within this time period, as long as you actually bought a full retail boxed version of the OS (OEM copies were the responsibility of the system seller to support). Once that runs out, they offer an additional 5 years where no new features are added, but security updates continue releasing monthly. Support is still available for retail copies but it's a pay-per-incident service. Generally software will still be supported by Microsoft in this period of time but exceptions exist, like Microsoft Office 2013 cut off Vista and XP even though both OSes were still receiving security updates (and Vista only just stopped receiving them last month I think).

For super-huge businesses who need a bit more time (this was really common with XP and really terrible intranet sites that only worked with IE6), Microsoft does offer a service where you cut them a big cheque (like REALLY big) and they'll supply you with security updates for an extra year, with the cheque getting exponentially bigger every subsequent year; I've heard rumors that NASA may be doing this to maintain some Windows NT systems but I have no idea if there's any truth to that. I did work with a company in 2011 that was doing this for Windows 2000, while I was working there they migrated straight from 2000 to Windows 7, and needed a crazy-custom image of Windows 7 which had VMware ThinApp (another "really big cheque" application) so they could run IE6 for their intranet sites which still required it.

Things went a bit weird with Windows 8 in terms of the timing requirements to install the upgrade to 8.1 (and how to install it also changed drastically for pushing it over a network), and then "Windows 8.1 Update" which was a "think fast you have to install this within 30 days" update, and again with Windows 10 since it's more of a rolling upgrade OS where "new" versions of the OS are, at least for the time being, free and imposed (you can't opt out of them), and can't decline to install security and other updates deemed important by Microsoft. But they still have the Enterprise LTSB builds of Windows 10 for companies who need "don't fuck with the OS core other than security updates for 10 years" installs.

Windows 7

this is 2017

give me a break

No, you give me a break. lolololol.

I mean I got Forza Horizon 3 at launch and it just became playable last week, 8 months later. PC has it's downsides.

I got Forza Horizon 3 at launch for PC, I've been playing it at high settings @ 60fps (with a very slight occasional stutter - less stutter than I felt playing Bloodborne, or Dishonored2/MankindDivided on PC - therefore, unplayable) and I'm at level 333 right now.

Patch last week removed the stutter and allowed me to jack my settings up to almost universally Very High.

ds8k

Last night I had an Xbox One controller and a DualShock 4 bluetoothed to my desktop with their respective dongles. Hours of games were played without a single problem.

This morning not a single game recognized the Xbox controller. Big Picture Mode detected it, but no game reacted to my button presses.

PC gaming is great but there's a level of frustration that doesn't really exist with consoles.

Paragon

I mean I got Forza Horizon 3 at launch and it just became playable last week, 8 months later. PC has it's downsides.
Playable at a locked 60 FPS.
It was not "unplayable" before, it just wouldn't run at a locked 60 FPS on most hardware due to poor optimization.
You could still run it at 4K30 and beyond with better graphics than the Xbox One version, just not locked to 60 on most hardware.
I guess the Xbox One version of the game must still be "unplayable" to you then, since it's always going to be locked to 30 FPS.

Windows 7 is still supported until 2020, it's just not getting new service packs or major new features now. Hell, most places selling PC's for enterprise use still come with Windows 7 Pro installed by default (and a Windows 10 Pro license in the BIOS so you can straight-install that if you want).
High priority security updates only. Not features or hardware support. That stopped years ago.

univbee

High priority security updates only. Not features or hardware support. That stopped years ago.

"Hardware support" stopped with the Kaby Lake processors which is something of a new move on Microsoft's part, although again, like I said, a lot of companies selling bulk PC's will still come with Windows 7 out-of-the-box if they're not Kaby Lake machines; my brother's company purchased a batch of PC's 2 weeks ago where this was the case. And aside from Kaby Lake processors I don't know of any other hardware which doesn't have at least Windows 7 drivers. Hell, the just-released 1080Ti still formally supports Windows 7.

It was not "unplayable" before, it just wouldn't run at a locked 60 FPS on most hardware due to poor optimization.
You could still run it at 4K30 and beyond with better graphics than the Xbox One version, just not locked to 60 on most hardware.
I guess the Xbox One version of the game must still be "unplayable" to you then, since it's always going to be locked to 30 FPS.

The game was unplayable dude. I have a 4670k and R9 290x and couldn't run it at 1080p medium with locked 30. When water was on the road I dropped to 24-25fps. Unplayable.

Nice of you to defend the garbage port's honor tho, brave warrior.

I play on an above average laptop and ps4/360 and a little bit of Wii. For me I've bought plenty of PC games that I've had to mess around with for an hour or so before they work properly, others just straight up won't work at all on my system. With consoles it's universal so you know any huge game breaking issues will probably be fixed, with PC that's not the case since every system is different. I'm still salty Pillars of Eternity doesn't work at all.

Xcom 2 which I should have been able to run according to my specs couldn't even handle medium settings at 720p without dipping in to the low/mid 20's.

petran79

Banned
Easier than windows automatically downloading OS updates for you ? Driver updates again are done through an automated process unless looking for a specific version, I don't see how it can be easier.

Dont get me wrong, Windows 10 is the worst and I wouldn't let it automatically update on my machine... but thats a much bigger... different problem.

Easier, since you know what is happening.

Regarding Windows 10 update, sometimes the bar freezes and you have no idea when updates are going to be downloaded or installed. 1 hour later a message appears for a reboot. You dont even know if actual updates are downloading. I use Rainmeter and download numbers remain at zero. Windows Update prevents external programms from reading download speeds.

Update process is a nightmare if you use non-SSD hard disk drives. Sometime up 30 minutes of disk reading, crawling the system.

NeonBlack

I play on an above average laptop and ps4/360 and a little bit of Wii. For me I've bought plenty of PC games that I've had to mess around with for an hour or so before they work properly, others just straight up won't work at all on my system. With consoles it's universal so you know any huge game breaking issues will probably be fixed, with PC that's not the case since every system is different. I'm still salty Pillars of Eternity doesn't work at all.

Xcom 2 which I should have been able to run according to my specs couldn't even handle medium settings at 720p without dipping in to the low/mid 20's.

but its still a laptop with a laptop GPU. Those things have to be considered for heat and power consumption, unlike a desktop. I'm pretty sure those same games would be running better on a desktop that cost half the price.

LilJoka

Agreed, it's crazy that some PC gamers just refuse to admit or believe this. It's clearly the best platform to game on but I wouldn't tell my mom/sister who just got a PS4 to get a PC instead.

I think using the word playable is an exaggeration. I hate fps issues but I still managed to finish the game a month after release with a GTX 970 at 1080p. I had a handful of crashes, so definitely one of the worst experiences I had, but that's only in comparison to 99% of other games that I have no issues with. Doesn't make the platform a disaster.

vesp

I think PC gaming is great, but I've stopped maintaining a current era gaming pc and mostly stick to consoles for a couple reasons (and I fully understand that there are many people that look at these cons as perks to the platform):

Having variable performance drives people crazy. If a console runs crappy, there's no real changing it so you're not compelled to spend hours optimizing it. I've bought too many games, started them and decided to wait for an optimization patch or hardware upgrade that never came and never went back to the game, while in general I find it much easier to suck it up and just enjoy console game as best as possible. And that's on top of the very base level idea that without some research it's hard to even make a good guess on what will run on your machine if it's a little long in the tooth or not enthusiast specced. Consoles make the game purchase selection process far more foolproof and worry free.

Comfy couch pc gaming has come a long way, but there's still too many different ui's and multiple input devices to make it feel seemless, and even after spending a lot of money and time, I've still never found a mouse and keyboard solution for the living room that truly made me happy, which means playing at a disadvantage in a lot of games if you choose to use a pad or just making some games completely unplayable.

Different strokes for different folks

Budi

Yeah that game performed really poorly for a long time, though with the turnbased nature of the game it didn't really interfere with gameplay. Still one of the best games to come out last year even with those issues.

I think using the word playable is an exaggeration. I hate fps issues but I still managed to finish the game a month after release with a GTX 970 at 1080p. I had a handful of crashes, so definitely one of the worst experiences I had, but that's only in comparison to 99% of other games that I have no issues with. Doesn't make the platform a disaster.

Read the post you quoted dude.

I said "it's clearly the best platform to game on". Where did I say PC was a disaster? I'm using it right now and it's great. The defensiveness of some of you people is exactly the same as the hardcore Sony/Nintendo fans you despise so much.

Almost all of the crashing games I've listed have known problems with crashing. Steam reviews also show this. I've updated and downgraded my GPU drivers often enough to get some games to run, one of my friends with a 1080 has even more problems with recent drivers - thats probably karma though, after laughing at me for buying an AMD card with "crappy drivers that crash every thing." ;-)

I don't need no "expert" checking my PC, it's fine, passes every stresstest and benchmark and does some heavy rendering jobs now and then. Again, almost all of my listet games are known for having bad performance. Things like Alan Wake might've been a faulty driver but that's my bloody point.

Holy shit guys, alright.

Just because other people have issues with crashing doesn't mean it's a wide spread problem. Hell, Overwatch is know for good performance and playing well on almost anything, but still has an official thread on crashes.

Like I said PC gaming is more difficult, but if you are crashing that much it's your hardware that's the problem not the games. Have you checked your temps? I was getting terrible performance in Witcher 3 and it was because my GPU was throttling. I hadn't considered it at first, because it had never happened before. If not that then do a clean driver install by using DDU display driver uninstaller to remove all video drivers then install the latest official drivers.

The game was unplayable dude. I have a 4670k and R9 290x and couldn't run it at 1080p medium with locked 30. When water was on the road I dropped to 24-25fps. Unplayable.

I said "it's clearly the best platform to game on". Where did I say PC was a disaster? I'm using it right now and it's great. The defensiveness of some of you people is exactly the same as the hardcore Sony/Nintendo fans you despise so much.

Speaking of being defensive. If anyone is exhibiting "warrior" mentality it's you.

beastlove

PCs still have problems at times but let's not pretend that this generation of consoles do not have issues as well. Witcher and Fallout ran at sub 20 FPS in places on my ps4. Lego star wars had a save big that resulted in my son losing his 90% complete save file. Deus ex also had serious frame rate issues. A bad PC port is usual has bad performance on a console as well.

LilJoka

Not actually being defensive... PC is more complex to game on for a worthwhile experience for the money spent. Saying a game isn't playable makes it out like it's a disaster, that's all.

Speaking of being defensive. If anyone is exhibiting "warrior" mentality it's you.

If anything I'm a warrior for PC. I haven't turned on my PS4 Pro in like a month and my Switch has one game but I use my PC for like 10 hours a day at least.

I will say I've never seen such a strong defense for Forza Horizon 3 pre-patch before this thread. It's really weird but I guess I was wrong and my PC just wasn't strong enough to handle it.... until the patch ;)

LilJoka

If anything I'm a warrior for PC. I haven't turned on my PS4 Pro in like a month and my Switch has one game but I use my PC for like 10 hours a day at least.

I will say I've never seen such a strong defense for Forza Horizon 3 pre-patch before this thread. It's really weird but I guess I was wrong and my PC just wasn't strong enough to handle it.... until the patch ;)

No, I think if it was another game I would go ape shit, but the game was kinda good which for once let me forget the occasional stutters. I gave it tons of headroom by reducing graphics settings to medium/high. On PC there really aren't many good arcade racers like FH3 with a nice career, upgrades and car selection. Probably why most chose to play it in what we would generally deem as "broken" for PC standards.

When R* broke GTA V frame pacing - i called that unplayable. That was a lot worse though.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
The vast majority of PC games launch without issue. That is not an opinion, it is a fact. More than 30 games release on Steam every week, very few of them have noteworthy issues. A few high-profile cases do not constitute the rule.

The issue is, it's usually PC gamers trying to convince console gamers to switch over to PC to play those very same "high-profile" games which more often than not are farmed out, low effort ports which need top of the line hardware to brute force to run at the fabled "4K ULTRA 60FPS" settings they switched over for.

If like many of the regular posters on here you're interested in Activision, Ubisoft, EA and Take Two games (aswell as all the big name console exclusives), you really are better off just playing on console unless you're willing to drop a decent chunk of change on a nice i7/GTX1070/16GB of RAM system and even then you're missing out on Sony's exclusives.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Performance issues are annoying yes, but they're not that common and even at their worst PC ports are still better than the console version in almost all cases. But then you get a game like Dark Souls 3 that's 30fps and under on console with horrific frame pacing issues which I played maxed out at 60fps stable on PC, it was a dream to play it like that whereas the PS4 version felt awful in comparison when I tried it. Simply put the small annoyances do not outweigh the massive benefits. I will say I do love having a PS4 for exclusives though, even if I can't fully enjoy them due to their frame rate.

I can't speak on FH3 pre-patch. I play on my 1070 at 1440p at 60fps now with max settings. I have seen people complain about games having performance problems that I was not having.

Like the poster with all the crashes saying the DOOM Demo not launching in Vulkan. It's the demo so that could the issue, but Vulkan ran way better on my 7870XT. It was the full game though so might be a difference there. Some people are more sensitive as well. I played AK pre-patch and it was bad. The performance only bothered me one time in a cutscene, but textures not loading really sucked. I did use some extremely custom settings to make the performance good though. Point is after the first major patch people still complained but I was fine, albeit at 30fps, which for my GPU was expected.
The issue is, it's usually PC gamers trying to convince console gamers to switch over to PC to play those very same "high-profile" games which more often than not are farmed out, low effort ports which need top of the line hardware to brute force to run at the fabled "4K ULTRA 60FPS" settings they switched over for.

If like many of the regular posters on here you're interested in Activision, Ubisoft, EA and Take Two games (aswell as all the big name console exclusives), you really are better off just playing on console unless you're willing to drop a decent chunk of change on a nice i7/GTX1070/16GB of RAM system and even then you're missing out on Sony's exclusives.

Most ports are fine. If you switch for true 4K 60fps you're delusional. i7 is unnecessary. You will pay double what a PS4 Pro costs if you go for a system like that with an i5, but it's also easily twice as powerful. It will do 1440p 60fps, which is comparable to PS4 checkerboard if not better with better AA and setting in general. Exclusive are subjective and PC has plenty.

Also the exclusives look damn fine on a base PS4 so I say switch to PC and keep the base PS4 for exclusives.

Aenima

Because it just is. When u develop a game for a machine that is not gaming dedicated thers a bigger chance you will find issues there.

PC gaming is now much more stable and user friendly than like 10 years ago, but i still keep finding issues both in games or trying to run some games than i dont find on consoles.

Just 2 recent examples:
- I had Skyrim on PS3, but decided to pick it up on a promo for PC as the PS3 version reaches a point where the game get serious performance issues. On my PC the game was runing beautiful untill i tryed to explore underwater. While on PS3 the underwater effect was nice, on the PC it was bugged to the point i could not see nothing making any quest impossible to complete if there was a need to pick something that was underwater. I had to search from a water mod that made the underwater visible, but still the underwater effect was nicer on PS3.

Even more recently, like just 2 weeks ago, my Xbox app on win10 just refused to open, i dont buy anything from the windows store but if i had bought a game that needed the xbox live to play i would be screwed. Spent an entire day trying all the fixes solution to the probem and none solved the problem. The store app was also afected, while the store worked the downloads was super slow to the point a 50Mb app would take around 1h to download.

Just last week, everething got fixed by a major automatic win10 update.

Also i always spend a lot of time tinkering with the game options to find a good balance between frame rate and decent graphics. As i never buy a top of the line gaming machine so its always a need to waste time on for every new game i play.

But all that appart, is not as bad as most make it sound. Especially in this day and age. I was a PC gamer like 15 years ago, and that was the days where i had to spend more time tinkiring for every little thing. I dont have patience to that crap anymore, but PC gaming is much more user fliendly now. I dont even remember the last time i installed any drivers.
I also have my PC conected to my HDTV and always play with controller, even games that dont support controllers i use Xpadder (yup, more tinkering) to map out the keybord buttons to the controler (I played Elder Scrolls Online that way and played it much better on the controller than using spider hands in the keyboard.)

But in the end, i prefer much more to keep playing games on consoles, and leave the gaming PC for just some games i cant get on the console, and i really want to play.

Marceles

Pretty much every time there is a console vs PC gaming discussion going on there are a bunch if people saying that PC gaming require too much work compared to consoles.

I used to be a console-only gamer, enough to even get me banned by trying to shut up PC gamers in my console threads.

Then I bought a PC 4 years ago. Windows 7, i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, 780ti. Windows preinstalled.

During these past 4 years I haven't "fiddled" with any driver or patches, I've just bought the games on Steam and everything has just worked with zero tinkering. The fiddling is taken care of by Steam without me knowing about it. Quite amazing really. Steam sometimes says that it has been automatically updated and restarts with one mouse click and a 10 second start up time, that's pretty much how far my tinkering has gone. If I want to use a controller I just plug it in and it instantly works and the UI in the games swap to indicate buttons instead of keys. Quite amazing really.

Honestly, PC gaming could be sold with Apple's "It just works." slogan from my point of view.

I swapped out my 780ti to a 980ti 2 years ago though, but even that was surprisingly easy: power down the computer, loosen the cables and screws, pull out the old card, plug in the new card, reconnect the cables and tighten the screws, power up the computer. Done.

Those who complain about how difficult PC gaming is simply cannot have used a modern PC with Steam.

You definitely _can_ fiddle with a bunch of stuff if you want to. But you don't have to if you don't want to, that's the thing. I'm one of those that don't want any hassle, I just want to play games, and that's exactly what my PC has let me to do.

So where does that complexity talk come from? From my point if view it's just as easy to game on PC as consoles.

It's more simple nowadays. If anything, I feel like with things like game patches and rest mode becoming console features that consoles are taking more of a PC route. Other than waiting for patches to download, console owners seem to like these features which have been on PC since forever.

but its still a laptop with a laptop GPU. Those things have to be considered for heat and power consumption, unlike a desktop. I'm pretty sure those same games would be running better on a desktop that cost half the price.
Yes but the same issues would come about since only half of my point was about specs (and even then eventually you'd run in to issues if you don't upgrade)

sleepnaught

Hell, just now trying to get Doom to work for my nephew with the XB1 pad. Steam was trying to force my Steam controller settings onto the XB1 pad and now its completely borked, been trying to fix it for an hour now. That's why I would never recommend PC gaming to someone who isn't experienced with PCs already. Absolutely maddening sometimes.

Fredrik

It's more simple nowadays. If anything, I feel like with things like game patches and rest mode becoming console features that consoles are taking more of a PC route. Other than waiting for patches to download, console owners seem to like these features which have been on PC since forever.
Yup, PCs are less complex than before and consoles are more complex than before. The gap is closing. Things like hardware upgrades (Pro/Scorpio) and settings which affect the performance (boost mode, resolution changes) which makes gamers running the same games with different performance are now on consoles too. This used to be what console gamers don't like about PC gaming. Sooner or later the gap will be closed and the differences will just be about exclusive titles and the cost. That's what I believe at least. And the thing is, while there seem to be annoyance that devs can ignore super sampling or the boost mode won't always work it still seems like at least many GAF console gamers seem to like that they can now tweak the games a bit to get better graphics or performance, so it's not like minor tweaking is considered super scary anymore.

sikkinixx

Last night I had an Xbox One controller and a DualShock 4 bluetoothed to my desktop with their respective dongles. Hours of games were played without a single problem.

This morning not a single game recognized the Xbox controller. Big Picture Mode detected it, but no game reacted to my button presses.

PC gaming is great but there's a level of frustration that doesn't really exist with consoles.
I had that with a max Payne 3 of all games. Worked amazing that morning. Closed it. Fired it up that afternoon: hard crash. Checked if it updated...
Nope. Windows didn't either. Didn't even shut down steam.

Uninstalled the game. Reinstalled it. Still broken. No idea why. Just uninstalled it and carried on with life. Such as Pc gaming. Gotta pay for those cheap games in some fashion

If you are mainly interested in big releases from Activision, Ubisoft, EA and Take Two then there's no question that you are far better off playing on PC rather than on console. I don't see how this is even debatable since almost all of the games from these major publishers look and run much better on even a modest PC compared to the console versions. Other than a couple of Koei Tecmo ports based on the PS3 versions and Pro Evolution Soccer I struggle to think of a single title that was actually a better experience on console. Maybe Arkham Knight and Dishonored 2 at launch? Everything else is better on PC in every way. Multiple Digital Foundry face-offs prove that.

Fredrik

If you are mainly interested in big releases from Activision, Ubisoft, EA and Take Two then there's no question that you are far better off playing on PC rather than on console. I don't see how this is even debatable since almost all of the games from these major publishers look and run much better on even a modest PC compared to the console versions. Other than a couple of Koei Tecmo ports based on the PS3 versions and Pro Evolution Soccer I struggle to think of a single title that was actually a better experience on console. Maybe Arkham Knight and Dishonored 2 at launch? Everything else is better on PC in every way. Multiple Digital Foundry face-offs prove that.
Yeah consoles for the exclusives and a PC for the multiplats is like the de facto standard for awesome gaming experiences nowadays. There are a few rare examples where multiplats are worse on PC, like SFV not getting the same content and DOA5LR being based on the PS3 version rather than PS4 version, Tomb Raider 2013 never got the Definitive Edition upgrade, for example. But all in all PC versions are on a whole other level, in many ways just because they have that video settings menu I've requested for decades which many console gamers seem to be scared about, because if a PC game runs badly you can just tweak it to run well again. Other than when games are strangely capped at 30fps there is no 30 vs 60 fps situations to deal with on PC. Everthing is 60fps, or more, if you want to.

Mozendo

Would have believed you if I didn't have to deal with a Silverstone case.
Just because you had a bad experience with a certain case doesn't mean PC building in general is complicated. The fact that you're using experience that seems to be a combination of picking components that won't fit with a bad quality case to make a general statement is incredibly dumb.
"Able to fit full size graphics cards" - panel doesn't close.
If that panel doesn't close that an issues with the width. Some cards are wider than what is considered the norm and every graphics card and case specify their dimensions and the dimension of what graphics card/ component can fit inside.

Got an i7 5820k and 2x GTX 1080's. RoTTR still won't get 60fps lock at 4k. Please explain to me how this is all my fault.
You do know that not all games scale well with SLI right or it can be your setup? I don't understand what this has to do with your "you constantly need to do research to make sure your computer can run the game" statement. Your computer can run the game, you're just complaining because it's no running at the resolution and frame rate you want.

Apologies, phrased poorly and the web client wouldn't let me change my reply.
Just stop.

dock

Marvelharvey, that's terrible! I hope you're able to find a fix, but it must really suck for your son to be unable to enjoy the lego games properly because of strange controller glitches.

<snip> many real world examples of issues with PC games</snip>
Thank-you for sharing this, and I'm sorry that people are being so defensive about your situation. I'm often surprised and disappointed how quickly people will dismiss another person's technical problems in the PC game scene.

Some unpleasant reactions we're seeing here:
  • Person shares their real-world examples of technical problems. People quickly say this person has a 'bad PC', or should have 'googled better'. Deny their problems where possible, with remarks like "I didn't have a problem".
  • Make remarks about imaginary 'general user' that doesn't know how to use their PC at all, suggesting that every game works fine so long as you know how to use your PC in the most basic manner.
  • Assertions about how they've been playing PC games for 54 years without a single technical fault. That's great! We all wish for this. Do you deny other people have had problems?
  • "you don't HAVE to mess with the settings"
    implies that people boot up a game, it works okay, but the player decides to 'break it' in the settings
  • '/everyone/ knows you /just/ have to install X...'
    Some of the arcane tricks necessary or common with certain games are like knowing the solution to a Layton puzzle and being annoyed at anyone that spends any time figuring it out, or lacks the energy to pursue this at the time they wanted to relax and play a game.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

That's not my experience at all. Most Ubisoft games have terrible performance on decent hardware (my PC has an OC i5 to 4.5Ghz and a 970). Ryse kept dropping to ~40fps at any settings, Arkham Knight and Mortal Kombat were disasters, Pro Evo and FIFA are based on older console versions, Dishonored 2 was poor, people couldn't get a locked 60fps on Forza Horizon 3 with any hardware recently which admittedly has now been fixed several months after release. I know that is a relatively small number of games but they were games I wanted to play on PC.

On top of all that multiplayer focused games like CoD and Battlefront are wastelands after a couple of weeks on PC and certain third party games like Red Dead Redemption don't come to PC at all while others like GTAV, Final Fantasy and Destiny 2 release later on PC.

I'm not saying PC is a terrible platform but I'm just trying to add some balance looking at the platform from a certain console gamers perspective. I've been tempted into the PC fold several times over the past decade and each one of the three times I've had games ruined for me by publishers not giving a fuck about some big name games by farming out or delaying ports (Arkham Knight was an extremely bitter pill for me to swallow after spending the best part of £900 on a new rig).

My honest advice having sampled both sides of the fence is that if you're into the big budget AAA games (which are often mp focused and built around console hardware) I'd advise to play on console. The fact that console hardware is not being left to fester for 6-8 years is now is even more reason to just play on console.

oneils

Your experience is not at all typical of what it's like to game on PC. If you're experiencing crashes across the board and bad performance then you need to get the PC checked by an expert. It sounds like PSU or GPU issues.

It might be a pain sometimes to run old games but your son wouldn't be able to play an old game on any other platform. I think that it's worth the fiddling in this case.

Those are all common problems with those games on pc though. I think most of those issues have guides in steam, to fix. Or at least big long threads of people trying to fix them.

Fredrik

That's not my experience at all. Most Ubisoft games have terrible performance on decent hardware (my PC has an OC i5 to 4.5Ghz and a 970). Ryse kept dropping to ~40fps at any settings, Arkham Knight and Mortal Kombat were disasters, Pro Evo and FIFA are based on older console versions, Dishonored 2 was poor, people couldn't get a locked 60fps on Forza Horizon 3 with any hardware recently which admittedly has now been fixed several months after release. I know that is a relatively small number of games but they were games I wanted to play on PC.

On top of all that multiplayer focused games like CoD and Battlefront are wastelands after a couple of weeks on PC and certain third party games like Red Dead Redemption don't come to PC at all while others like GTAV, Final Fantasy and Destiny 2 release later on PC.

I'm not saying PC is a terrible platform but I'm just trying to add some balance looking at the platform from a certain console gamers perspective. I've been tempted into the PC fold several times over the past decade and each one of the three times I've had games ruined for me by publishers not giving a fuck about some big name games by farming out or delaying ports (Arkham Knight was an extremely bitter pill for me to swallow after spending the best part of £900 on a new rig).

My honest advice having sampled both sides of the fence is that if you're into the big budget AAA games (which are often mp focused and built around console hardware) I'd advise to play on console. The fact that console hardware is not being left to fester for 6-8 years is now is even more reason to just play on console.
Regarding performance, dropping to ~40fps and not being able to get locked 60fps is still above most console releases, even on the upgrades in many cases since the focus seems to be 4K instead of 60fps. And if you add those upgrades into the mix when saying that consoles are better you have to add in the increased cost too, which many might think makes consoles even less attracting.

Forza Horizon 3 runs at 60-70fps on triple screens on my 980ti rig now.
https://youtu.be/BbkWvQ0WnMw
I guess we don't know for sure how capable Scorpio is yet but I seriously doubt that the Scorpio version will ever touch the PC version with either visuals or performance.

I suspect that they'll just focus on 4K with Scorpio just like with most Pro upgrades, which means that you'll not only have payed for the Scorpio but also a 4K TV to get the full benefit of the console upgrade.
If you're a multi console owner you can add a Pro to the cost too. Pro+Scorpio+4K TV.
In the end you might actually get quite a decent PC rig if you just keep your old consoles and use those console upgrade related pennies on a PC rig instead.

Fredrik

No hiding from the truth here, so I'll update this thread with one more hassle for me.

Unpacking the prepurchased and predownloaded Tekken 7 on Steam !!!

This is the worst user-experience yet for me on PC! Why does it say that it takes HOURS just to unpack!!!??? Gaaaaah!!!

Apparently some just delete the predownload and download it all again. But with the hammered servers it would probably take ages for me.
I'll go to work now, lets see if it's ready when I get home. Probably not.

Aters

Here's why:
If you know a game runs fine on someone's PS4, you know it will run on yours. If you know a game runs well on others' PC, it doesn't mean shit to you because you can always be that unlucky guy that just can't get it to work while everyone else is enjoying their game. It's not that some games don't run well on PC ---- many games don't run well on PS4 either. It's the fact that you never know if a game can run on your PC before you test it yourself that annoys me. I don't mind trouble shooting, waiting for patches, messing around with setup files and all that, I just hate the unpredictability.

Garou

No hiding from the truth here, so I'll update this thread with one more hassle for me.

This is the worst user-experience yet for me on PC! Why does it say that it takes HOURS just to unpack!!!??? Gaaaaah!!!

Apparently some just delete the predownload and download it all again. But with the hammered servers it would probably take ages for me.

LOL, the global network of Steam-servers is not getting "hammered" because of Tekken, that's a drop in the bucket.
And if decryption takes too long, you should look into getting a SSD.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Here's why:
If you know a game runs fine on someone's PS4, you know it will run on yours. If you know a game runs well on others' PC, it doesn't mean shit to you because you can always be that unlucky guy that just can't get it to work while everyone else is enjoying their game. It's not that some games don't run well on PC ---- many games don't run well on PS4 either. It's the fact that you never know if a game can run on your PC before you test it yourself that annoys me. I don't mind trouble shooting, waiting for patches, messing around with setup files and all that, I just hate the unpredictability.
Yeah but not long ago we had a thread here where a user complained about broken PS4 games and everyone came out of the woodwork saying his console is broken or whatever when others report the issues as well.

There is a higher chance it'll work, but it's not a given anymore.

And you have no way to fix or diagnose this alone.

t1ld3

Neo Member
It's a hell of a lot easier than it was. I gamed in the early 90s. Now that shit was tough.

Where I live the preconception lies in the experience older gamers had had in this era as well as the 00s. Also, mainly because of the high taxation on relevant hardware/software the cost of buying a mid-range dedicated gaming PC for someone who isn't able to build it and tinker with it as needed should currently be up to 1000-1300 euros (excluding a retail Windows license).

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated

I want to just comment on this line. It's true - console-focused online shooters like CoD and Battlefield/front do really badly on the PC these days. There's no getting around that.

That said, this is not an indication of anything dysfunction around PC gaming numbers. The reality is that PC gaming communities are based around PC-centric games. TF2, Overwatch, CS:GO, and the strategy-oriented stuff like ARMA.

Those two tentpole console franchises abandoned PC primacy years ago - and the audiences redistributed to other titles. The PC is still the biggest overall market in multiplayer gaming.

Moz

My gaming PC is legitimately a lot less hassle than my PS4 pro, which has a complicated and poor-value series of upgrades which differ from game to game, doesn't work properly with my Samsung 4k TV or my modern receiver properly, came bundled with a broken controller and doesn't update itself or it's software library very elegantly. But muh drivers so complicated etc

Hektor

A yes, deadly premonition: the directors cut, a game that runs like shit on every platform it was released on with the only exception being the original not directors cut 360 version, made by a dev who released a ps3 exclusive game that ran at single digits and even crashes on consoles called "Drakengard 3".

Truly a good example of muh bad pc ports

Ascheroth

The unpacking depends on your HDD speed. It's decently fast on an SSD. I have no HDD numbers, but I *think* it took 30-60 minutes unpacking NieR on my SSD.
Though if you have a blazing fast connection that downloads gigabytes in minutes, yes, there's no point in pre-loading.
But as someone whose internet is powered by a snail, I take unpacking half an hour to an hour over downloading for hours anytime.
But yeah, if they managed to speed up the unpacking that would be ideal.

Also Steam has no hammered servers when a new game releases, that's a drop in the bucket, lol.

Carn82

My gaming PC is legitimately a lot less hassle than my PS4 pro, which has a complicated and poor-value series of upgrades which differ from game to game, doesn't work properly with my Samsung 4k TV or my modern receiver properly, came bundled with a broken controller and doesn't update itself or it's software library very elegantly. But muh drivers so complicated etc

Thats funny, my PS4 Pro legitimately is a lot less hassle than my PC, which has a complicated and poor-value series of issues which differ from game to game, doesn't work properly with my Samsung 4k TV or my 5ghz wifi, and came bundled with a broken PU.

/s

in all fairness; PC Gaming has become -much- "easier" these days. Building one is easy, and if you can build one yourself you can also google the most common issues. If you don't want to do this, or are not able to, then I would get a console. Get both if you can.

Pjsprojects

Odd,i run a 290x and have it set to near max locked at 30fps. Unlocked i get around 40fps.

Top Bottom