• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?

DOWN

Banned
I feel immense anxiety when a new multiplat game comes out and in the OT or PC performance threads there are numerous people who can’t even get the game to start across multiple troubleshooting posts

I actually had this discussion on this topic earlier today in a different forum. So here goes.

I own a very capable gaming PC. I have a system with an Intel i7, GTX 960, 16GB RAM, 256 Samsung SSD...the system simply runs great. I do own a very small number of PC games, but I prefer to game on a console.

I know the advantages of gaming on a PC. At the same time, I dont need someone to convince why it's better to game on PC. I already know, so save your time and breath. I dont need you to tell me why you're against console gaming. Again, save your time and breath because I dont care.

I prefer to game on a console. Simple as that. I can give you the overused excuses of

1) it just works
2) I dont want to tinker with drivers
3) I dont want to troubleshoot
4) I like controllers better
...and on and on and on, but I'm not going to give you those excuses.

I'll provide a simple reason why I game on console and not on PC. Preference. That's it. I have a preference towards consoles. What's not to understand?

Sometimes I'll read in threads, "as long as you're gaming on the platform of your preference, just have fun." Then the next day, I'll read, "I dont understand why people like to game on console when PC is so much superior."

So which stance will people support?

1) game on whatever platform you enjoy gaming on
2) PC because you cant fathom the idea of people enjoying consoles and PC is superior

Why can't people support both since they're statements by two entirely separate people?

Twenty years ago X-Wing vs TIE Fighter wouldn't even start without some form of joystick plugged in, so the concept of using controllers on PC shouldn't really be alien.

PRODPIC-33652.jpg

I used to have one of these bad boys back then.

joecanada

No problems here with the Xbox wireless adapter, had it for a few months (it came with oculus). I also use my Dualshock 4s via bluetooth with no issue. Just downloaded DS4 windows and set it to run in the background when my computer boots. Hit the PS button and they connect.

Yeah I bought a Bluetooth adapter too but just have been too lazy to set it up . Also didn't want to use my ds4s for both so was hoping for that wireless adapter. It doesn't work at all. Like disconnect every 10 seconds...there was a whole thread of people with same issue.

If one didn't know what to do, they shouldn't go opening up the computer and messing with the components. The intelligent option would be to educate yourself if the interest is there to learn, or hire someone to fix it for you. Or buy your IT friend a six-pack to fix it for you. The latter is most appreciated.

But as I have always said, if anyone wants to jump in to PC gaming, learn the platform so you can maintain it. A PC is not a console. You shouldn't plug it in and forget about it. Learn your platform and only then can you get the most out of it.
But isn’t that the point. Some people don’t want to do that, and that’s perfectly fine. I Don’t have a problem having to do it, I just prefer not to.

I am of the group that works on computers and phones (though mainly Macs/iPhones) all day at work currently, and I used to build computers on the side for money during college, but my preference is console. It’s nice to come home and relax nowhere near a computer or phone.

I just think people should game wherever their preferences lies, and not have to look down on others for their preferences. Each platform had their merits and their downfalls. Such is life. I do agree with you though that anybody getting into PC gaming has to “want it” to get the most out of it and if you don’t then that’s fine as well.

Life is too short, and there are things far more important to worry about then somebody’s preference for gaming.

ViolentP

But isn’t that the point. Some people don’t want to do that, and that’s perfectly fine. I Don’t have a problem having to do it, I just prefer not to.

I am of the group that works on computers and phones (though mainly Macs/iPhones) all day at work currently, and I used to build computers on the side for money during college, but my preference is console. It’s nice to come home and relax nowhere near a computer or phone.

I just think people should game wherever their preferences lies, and not have to look down on others for their preferences. Each platform had their merits and their downfalls. Such is life. I do agree with you though that anybody getting into PC gaming has to “want it” to get the most out of it and if you don’t then that’s fine as well.

Life is too short, and there are things far more important to worry about then somebody’s preference for gaming.

I think you and I are actually in complete agreement. I am a PC gamer first and foremost, but I will never sell the idea of PC gaming to one that isn't self-motivated to care and maintain one. The PC is not a gaming platform for people who have the money and want better performance. It is an investment, monetarily and physically. Those who understand what PC gaming entails and still choose to jump in are the right market for the platform. Many however do not want to mix work with leisure. I totally get that. A console is the much better option for them. It's only when these two markets look at the opposite without understanding each others reasoning that we get these unnecessary pissing contests.

RedSwirl

I think you and I are actually in complete agreement. I am a PC gamer first and foremost, but I will never sell the idea of PC gaming to one that isn't self-motivated to care and maintain one. The PC is not a gaming platform for people who have the money and want better performance. It is an investment, monetarily and physically. Those who understand what PC gaming entails and still choose to jump in are the right market for the platform. Many however do not want to mix work with leisure. I totally get that. A console is the much better option for them. It's only when these two markets look at the opposite without understanding each others reasoning that we get these unnecessary pissing contests.

Exactly. I see too many people here who think the entire appeal of PC gaming is just playing console games with sprinkles.

All PC gaming means is you're willing to experience video games on open-box personal computers, with all the intricacies personal computers involve. Hell, we're figuring out most people don't even really need to use personal computers anymore, with phones and tablets taking over for the most casual tasks. Who PC gaming is really meant for are people willing to tinker and experiment at least a little bit in order to have more freedom with the games they buy.

Top Bottom