• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They don't? You get a notification of a new patch, you download it, done. No need to modify .ini file, no need to download .dll file. I cannot launch Dark Souls on my PC. I cannot get pass the title screen. It never happened to me in my 15 years of console gaming experience.

I do play PC games, but some PC users here are just trying to convince people black is white. And throwing insults like "they are lazy/dumb" around only makes the PC crowd look more insecure, immature and ignorant. Some people only have so much time on gaming and they want to spend every minute of it on actually playing games. I do programing and troubleshooting at work, I prefer something else at home.

I hate the trend console is going. But let's be real. You have PS4 and PS4 Pro, that's it. Asking in general how the game run on PS4 Pro is not the same thing as asking how it runs on a specific PC setup that maybe you're the only one using.
Console users want ease of use at adequate performance.
PC users want options at greater performance.

They are 2 different markets that are both getting what they want. Not sure why both sides have their users who demand validation for their preference.
These.

It turns out they do, actually.
Hahaha

This is a difficult discussion to be had when many people would rather resort to petty platform-warrior nonsense.

Gaming on PC is as difficult as you want it to be.
No. Someone who wants to over-optimize their game to take advantage of their shiny new card, sure. But someone experiencing crashes or unexpected problems isn't making life difficult for themselves, FFS.

As another poster said, to clear misconceptions. Like we STILL have people thinking (or trying to spread this false narrative, don't know why though) that you can't play PC hooked into your TV, being comfy on your couch, using a controller.
Don't know why? Then allow me to tell you (again):
when someone says "I want my controller and couch" they are not saying "it's impossible to have those things with PC gaming", only that they are not practical or trivial to setup for them

Is PC gaming hard in 2017?

If your brain is damaged, yes.
K

Timu

If I have to say one thing, it's that PC gaming is much easier to get into now than the past, and I was building PCs even as a teen. I mean, yeah, something can go wrong and might be annoying to fix, but for the most part PC gaming is pretty simple if you know how to build them now.

sikkinixx

If I have to say one thing, it's that PC gaming is much easier to get into now than the past, and I was building PCs even as a teen. I mean, yeah, something can go wrong and might be annoying to fix, but for the most part PC gaming is pretty simple if you know how to build them now.

I agree. Just when things go wrong, if you aren’t PC inclined I could see it being a deal breaker. My brother in law sold his pc a couple months after building it because he couldn’t handle trouble shooting stuff, having to dick with settings to get things to run how they should run, the jankyness of Big Picture Mode.

Frankly I really really wish Big Picture Mode could just work like a console does. Too many times a game crashes or an update pops or whatever and suddenly I’m not in the game/steam window anymore, I need to get up, walk to my PC, muck around with it, then get back to playing on my TV. If I only played on my monitor it wouldn’t be too bad. Plus it just looks ugly as shit.

I can never understand people that say they like to easy of use of consoles, yet when they game on PC they become people that have to spend hours tweak/optimize/benchmark the perfect settings for their rig

Sändersson;250225715 said:
Well that is actually the dumbest thing I have read on this forum. xD
It's not dumb at all. I do that shit. I spent an hour tuning GTA V last May to kill the cutscenes stutter and enjoyed the game that much more for it's consistency and smoothness afterward. Different strokes.

I can never understand people that say they like to easy of use of consoles, yet when they game on PC they become people that have to spend hours tweak/optimize/benchmark the perfect settings for their rig

Well, that's exactly why I like playing on consoles. Because on PC I HAVE TO "spend hours tweak/optimize/benchmark the perfect settings".

It's a neurological disorder I think, ha. Like I stated elsewhere, I wish that wasn't the case.

Tain

when someone says "I want my controller and couch" they are not saying "it's impossible to have those things with PC gaming", only that they are not practical or trivial to setup for them

I fully believe this is the case for you, but I do not think that most of the people I've seen in the past making arguments about couches and gamepads are arguing from the same position.

Regarding the gamepad thing specifically, for example, I've seen many people suggest that gamepad use in Windows is somehow a complicated and unreliable thing. In reality, it's pretty much exactly like the Xbox consoles: you plug in a 360 or One gamepad and it works in pretty much all modern games where it would make sense to support it. You've pointed out that you greatly prefer DS3/DS4, though, and yeah, using those involves jumping through hoops. But I have no reason to believe that the average gamer is as much of a Dualshock die-hard.

I get the general conception about TV use, though. Couch keyboard use isn't the most obvious thing, at least not compared to grabbing a gamepad and going, and most users aren't going to set up a completely keyboard-free situation for getting to their games lol.

Frostman

I have only just gotten back into PC Gaming in August, and it is easier than it was, no doubt. But it still has a way to go before it meets a console as far as maintenance and ease of use.

The problems I have had since my build have been:

Ram unable to run at its rated speed (Ryzen compatibility problem, returned it), I suppose you could blame me, but it really does depend on the die you receive. Samsung B is best for Ryzen.
GPU fan bug (Fans would spin up to 100% on start up, contacted Gigabyte, had to return it). This problem occurred a month after I finished my build, all was fine until I started up my PC one afternoon.

Other than some bugged in-game settings (HBAO + in the Witcher 3 is currently fucked on AMD cards) everything has been fine. It's nice to be back and able to mod again. Cheaper games are fantastic, and so is 60fps.

But I can absolutely see why some are not interested, just speaking to my brother about the problems I've had his response was, "sod that". It really isn't for everyone and it won't ever be.

ZoronMaro

I think it's pretty normal to not worry about problems that you can't do anything about, but then when in a situation where you could do something you can't ignore them.

Well, here's the thing, when something goes wrong on fixed hardware, let's take PS4 for example... you're at the mercy of the publisher/developer putting out a patch to fix it. On PC, someone else just might stand up and say "I fixed this" and share with everyone.

It's why I love PC and looking back, endured the hard times back in the day of building my very first rig. I fucked up the pins on my CPU, lol. With that said, it's so much easier to build your own PC these days, I am seeing many more Females get into building too. That says a lot! 👌

Way more accessible now at days than it's ever been and people are definitely more intelligent and open to the concept of building their own.

Is it troublesome to troubleshoot a problem on PC? Yes, but it's not always a chore to seek out a solution to a problem, unless it's something rare or a hardware failure.. hardware failure is troublesome, with unseating everything and checking cables and such.

Most problems with games have been identified and have an available solution online, while not ideal, it still means you have the that power, the ability or what have you, the ability to fix your own problems and while the simplicity of a PS4 or Xbox 1 are very much appreciated, beyond that I can appreciate the flexibility and nimbleness of a GOOD 'future proofed' rig over a console, any day of the week.
Especially when you have a good CPU that will last for a few generations of GPUs.

I know I didn't answer the question, but I really do think the perception of PC is only getting more positive and less intimidating for people than when I started building my own. (2003)

It's not dumb at all. I do that shit. I spent an hour tuning GTA V last May to kill the cutscenes stutter and enjoyed the game that much more for it's consistency and smoothness afterward. Different strokes.

And that's just it. Different strokes.

What's important to you isn't important to me and vice versa.

So why is it we see more PC evangelist threads where PC users roll in and make insulting posts than we see console evangelist threads?

It's possible people make "Consoles R 4mazing" threads but I can't remember the last time I've seen one.

For the PC? Yeah. Weekly.

c0Zm1c

For the consoles I tend not to be concerned about problems with performance (unless severe) because I know there's nothing I can do about it, you just accept it 'as is' and all that entails. On PC we have the opportunity to fix or change things for a better experience so naturally the inclination will be to do so. Unless a given PC game has a serious problem, extensive tweaking isn't essential either (in some uncommon instances it can be fruitless anyway!)

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member
I think it's pretty normal to not worry about problems that you can't do anything about, but then when in a situation where you could do something you can't ignore them.

That's the most annoying and best of playing games on my comp. If the framerate starts dipping I don't just shrug it off and keep playing, I sit there and spend 15 minutes tweaking things to see if I can get the experience more consistent. And sometimes when I don't want to worry about it I end up just down ressing crap and making it look worse (even on my 1080ti!)... it's nice sometimes not having to think about it and just playing on console.

Also, it gets worse when you start getting mod obsessed. Playing through Skyrim and stop, notice that a tree is lower res than it should, spend 45 minutes finding a tree mod, finally get it working, well shit now that bush looks bad next to this nice tree. Rinse repeat, never finish game.

It's why I first play through vanilla in elder scroll games on console, than play again on PC.

zeopower6

I don't really play any games on PC because of all the issues that can happen if your setup isn't proper. I'd rather just play on console easily.

Peroroncino

I used to play on PC, however when my main fixation switched from games I didn't play yet to what temperature my GPU is running I knew it was time to sell my gaming PC and go back to consoles. And I did, so far I'm not regretting my choice.

Sure, I may play games in worse quality, but I'm actually playing them without giving a fuck about .ini that makes shadows look better, elimantes stuttering etc. or temps on my components.

Inb4 'why couldn't you just ignore that stuff?' because I couldn't, I don't know what to tell you, it was stronger than me, always tweaking in that .ini, evga precision etc. With consoles my only worry is 'when does that fuckin' patch come out?' aaaand... I like it that way.

Today, the front audio header on my case went out. So I took my pc apart, figured it could use some cleaning of the case anyway and put everything back together. No video from either motherboard or GPU, both are working properly and getting proper power but not even a bios.

Now I’m perfectly capable of fixing it, (I work on electronics for a living) and it will get fixed at some point. BUT what if I didn’t know about computers and what to do?

I’m not even going to bother fixing it right now, I’ll get to it at some point, but I don’t feel like “tinkering” with it right now.

I work in IT and go to school for network administration. I work with computers roughly 60 hours a week.

I don’t really want to mess around with windows in my spare time

elohel

I swapped out my 780ti to a 980ti 2 years ago though, but even that was surprisingly easy: power down the computer, loosen the cables and screws, pull out the old card, plug in the new card, reconnect the cables and tighten the screws, power up the computer. Done.

You didn’t tinker but you had to open something up and perform a physical upgrade

Maybe others have bad bad experiences with this

Maybe people don’t want to have to open shit up and just power on their console for several years and have updated auto applied etc.

You just disproved your own point by the third block of text lol YA tinkered!

even with a pre built system(which we didn’t find out if you had that or not and most don’t hence tinker) you have to update drivers etc unless that magically changed recently

And update steam and games there’s multiple layers

I don’t know why “the people” you brought up were against it but I have the capacity to look at everything you just said and respect that some people do not like that.

You didn't tinker but you had to open something up and perform a physical upgrade

Maybe people don't want to have to open shit up and just power on their console for several years and have updated auto applied etc.

Up until recently we had to open up our PS4s to get more storage. ;)

I play on both console and PC, and there is definitely the possibility for a little more ”work" when playing on PC, but that is now generally if people are trying to optimize performance. If people want to treat their PC like a console and just got with whatever settings a game defaults to, it really isn't much different.

But, there is no right or wrong - everyone should just play what they like. I never understand PC gamers talking shit about console gamers and vice versa.

Jimrpg

I used to play on PC, however when my main fixation switched from games I didn't play yet to what temperature my GPU is running I knew it was time to sell my gaming PC and go back to consoles. And I did, so far I'm not regretting my choice.

Sure, I may play games in worse quality, but I'm actually playing them without giving a fuck about .ini that makes shadows look better, elimantes stuttering etc. or temps on my components.

Inb4 'why couldn't you just ignore that stuff?' because I couldn't, I don't know what to tell you, it was stronger than me, always tweaking in that .ini, evga precision etc. With consoles my only worry is 'when does that fuckin' patch come out?' aaaand... I like it that way.

I know what you're saying. Because the choice is there, you're compelled to make it the best you possibly can.

However can I point out that most graphical options are in the graphics options menu and there aren't even that many of them that actually matter any more. What I mean is most of the games look pretty darn good at higher resolutions and medium graphics anyway. The way I do it is set everything to high and see if I get 60fps and if not tweak until I do. I don't really care about shadows and AA, but ill leave them in if performance is good.

I rarely ever go into ini files, I can't remember the last time I did, but for slower PCs I guess this might be neceesary.

One thing that is unbeatable though with PCs vs console at the moment, is hardware price. There's great performance right now even in a OG PS4, and I've seen it as low as AU$299 (about US$240). You can't buy a PC at that price. A laptop maybe but that'd be for very low spec games without the need for a discrete graphics card.

Welcome to the club. Liberating isn't it?

TriAceJP

One thing that is unbeatable though with PCs vs console at the moment, is hardware price. There's great performance right now even in a OG PS4, and I've seen it as low as AU$299 (about US$240). You can't buy a PC at that price. A laptop maybe but that'd be for very low spec games without the need for a discrete graphics card.

You can easily pick up a gaming PC equal to the specs of the ancient stuff in a PS4 for that price :D

daviyoung

Banned
PC gaming is as hard or easy, lazy or time consuming, shallow or detailed as you want it to be. If you buy a good rig with Steam you'll be able to run new games at default graphics, default sound, default controls. Just as the developer intended. But the main difference with PC is that you can customise your experience to how you intend it. If you're happy with the console experience of plug and play you can have that with your PC. It's the base level of owning one, but it can go beyond.

So why is it we see more PC evangelist threads where PC users roll in and make insulting posts than we see console evangelist threads?

It's possible people make "Consoles R 4mazing" threads but I can't remember the last time I've seen one.

You and one other person keep exaggerating the frequency of PCMR-type threads, but that's BS. Anyone can search threads and see that's BS. Anyone who's been here for more than a few weeks knows that's BS. And even though I'm sure you feel like that's true... I'm also sure you can't actually back that notion up.

And you should probably consider that in most of those threads (the ones that aren't contentious enough to stick around for 50 pages), it's pretty likely that you (like many of the people who whine about this) are letting the actions of very few posters in those threads color your perception of PC gaming discussion on GAF. As though similar sentiments (and shitposts) aren't seen elsewhere on GAF relating to other platforms and products.

Arklite

Troubleshooting is alive and well on PC, as evidenced by threads here. GPU driver updates and issues that arise with them are alive and well. Hitches and bugs are alive and well with Windows updates. And new to PC, an abundance of bullshit UI and account systems you didn't have to deal with before are alive and well in PC. The OP smooths over small but consistent issues that still exist and keep PC from being as hands off as consoles. For this, they are still considered finicky.

Zojirushi

I flipped on this a couple of times now from being a console gamer not even considering PC to almost exclusively PC and wondering how I ever thought playing on consoles was fun to now being kinda equally frustrated with both.

Consoles are cool until you see some stuff on PC and go back and notice stuff looks and runs pretty bad in general. Also paid online, bad UIs, no backwards compatibility etc. Lots of bad stuff and restrictions everywhere, generally too many to make me wanna use these things more than for the occasional platform exclusive.

PCs are cool until your hardware gets a little old and you become annoyed how suddenly you have to fps cap and put settings down to console level even though your PC should still be way stronger and that always comes with PC specific problems most importantly frame time consistency at lower framerates.
Going down the hellish road of trying different combinations of ingame, driver level and tool based combinations of Vsynch and fps limiters is still my least favorite thing in PC gaming.

And now on top of all this shit consoles are going down the iterative upgrade path as well so going "PC for multiplatform and consoles for exclusives" has become way weirder as well because am I really gonna buy a console twice for like five games I'll ever play on it or buy the first iteration and accept worse performance or wait a bunch until they release PS5pro in 2025 or something.

Focusing on the bad stuff here of course, games are still kinda fun most of the time :D

Mascot

I was nervous about PC gaming but four months in (and with VR) it's been an absolute breeze, literally no harder than console gaming apart from a right faff I had trying to get 5.1 surround sound through my amp. But that was just lack of knowledge on my part about PC audio.

Wish I'd done it years ago.

Aaaaaaaand... right on cue, I lose all audio and can't get it back.

Arklite

Aaaaaaaand... right on cue, I lose all audio and can't get it back.

Sometimes you'll find quick solutions to this stuff in 5 minutes or less. And sometimes you won't find it till next week. And sometimes something else goes wrong next month. It's just the nature of PC.

badjab326

Neo Member
I don't get how people argue that the statement isn't true. I switched from pretty much console only to PC only and as much as I love it, I'll admit it's not for everybody. There's millions of different configs people could be using so troubleshooting could produce different results for every single one of us. We're basically dependent on the devs to support whatever hardware we're using.

So yes, PC gaming is still probably too complex for your average plug n play gamer.

However, I've noticed console UI's are getting more and more complicated, and with the hardware variations I'm honestly disappointed that they don't keep it simpler for consumers.

I used to try to convince all my console friends to switch to PC, but ultimately I just want crossplay to happen more often so we can all play together regardless (Come on Sony!).

RedSwirl

You ever think there might be a demand for some platform to try to stick a middle ground between the advantages of PC and consoles?

A lot of this thread has been about hardware bot to be honest, software is the main reason I stick with PC over console right now. I'm fine with how a lot of AAA games look and run on my original PS4, but I also like having them on a platform that almost always guarantees backwards compatibility. I'm willing to navigate the greater variety of games being released on PC. In a more ideal world, I think it would be cool if someone managed to create a closed-hardware console with that same kind of open software environment. It doesn't work now because console gaming profits are tied up in licensing. Hacking consoles for homebrew and ROMs essentially brings about this kind of environment, just without the backing of AAA game publishers.

I think that's what it would take for me to switch completely back over to consoles though. Even if tinkering with advanced PC hardware got too frustrating for me, I could just retreat to a laptop or pre-built desktop and still have thousands of good games to play. An ideal console for me would be, basically, a PC with an established minimum hardware spec. That and being able to play singleplayer first person games with a mouse & keyboard. Maybe what I'm describing is what 80's and early 90's home computers were like. Those came and went just before my time.

I think that part of the problem also is that PC gamers build up, over time, a huge reservoir of knowledge that they don't even have to think about, which makes getting over small hiccoughs or problems trivial. But it's not trivial if you don't have that knowledge. The example stated earlier re: the headphones is a good example, but in reality there are all sorts of things which are easy to fix when you know how and require a lot of research when you don't. This leads us to the situation where experienced PC gamers can't understand why people find it so tricky because for them it is simple and for new people it is tough. No one has to be wrong for this to be the case.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
You have a far lower opinion of most console games than the PC elitists in this thread. Your average console gamer sounds like this -

450px-Dspwoow.jpg

very accurate for some people here xD

I sold my consoles and bought a portable surface pro which I use on the go and dock it to the tv, similar performance as a switch

Have had it a couple of days now, days filled with finding the missing .dll files, having windows 10 updating and fail

Guess it should be easier after a week but so far its been alot of stuff to fix. Not like a console at all :p

Oh and getting a xbox one x controller with wireless adaper tomorrow. Worried it will be alot fixing to get it to run with all my software

That said, not regretting my swap at all! So far

who here is an evangelist? you think people that say why they prefer platform x is because they want you to buy one? I sure don't care what you do lol

and there's plenty of people saying they prefer consoles in this very thread.

Today, the front audio header on my case went out. So I took my pc apart, figured it could use some cleaning of the case anyway and put everything back together. No video from either motherboard or GPU, both are working properly and getting proper power but not even a bios.

Now I’m perfectly capable of fixing it, (I work on electronics for a living) and it will get fixed at some point. BUT what if I didn’t know about computers and what to do?

I’m not even going to bother fixing it right now, I’ll get to it at some point, but I don’t feel like “tinkering” with it right now.

not sure what you're trying to say, what do you do when a connector on your console stops working?

Regarding the gamepad thing specifically, for example, I've seen many people suggest that gamepad use in Windows is somehow a complicated and unreliable thing. In reality, it's pretty much exactly like the Xbox consoles: you plug in a 360 or One gamepad and it works in pretty much all modern games where it would make sense to support it.

Most games that should have gamepad support on PC do. Most, not all. Of the games that do have gamepad support, some of them have launchers or menus that don't support gamepads, so you still have to use a mouse or keyboard. Most don't, but not all. Of those games, some of them have poor/nonexistent control binding for the gamepad, resulting in you having to set up the controls yourself. Most don't, but not all. Of those games, many of them don't have proper button icons when you're using a gamepad, so you may keep having to refer back to the settings screen to remember what the buttons do. Some (most?) don't, but not all.

So yeah, many PC games do have total gamepad support with a sensible default control scheme and correct contextual button prompts. But you can't count on it, and it's not always easy to figure out if that's the case. On consoles you can count on it, 100%. That's what people mean when they complain about gamepad support on consoles vs PCs. It's a relatively minor issue in the scheme of things, but it's just one more thing you sometimes have to worry about when using a PC.

ViolentP

If one didn't know what to do, they shouldn't go opening up the computer and messing with the components. The intelligent option would be to educate yourself if the interest is there to learn, or hire someone to fix it for you. Or buy your IT friend a six-pack to fix it for you. The latter is most appreciated.

But as I have always said, if anyone wants to jump in to PC gaming, learn the platform so you can maintain it. A PC is not a console. You shouldn't plug it in and forget about it. Learn your platform and only then can you get the most out of it.

Sometimes you'll find quick solutions to this stuff in 5 minutes or less. And sometimes you won't find it till next week. And sometimes something else goes wrong next month. It's just the nature of PC.
"Why is PC gaming still considered difficult with too much tinkering?"

I actually had this discussion on this topic earlier today in a different forum. So here goes.

I own a very capable gaming PC. I have a system with an Intel i7, GTX 960, 16GB RAM, 256 Samsung SSD...the system simply runs great. I do own a very small number of PC games, but I prefer to game on a console.

I know the advantages of gaming on a PC. At the same time, I dont need someone to convince why it's better to game on PC. I already know, so save your time and breath. I dont need you to tell me why you're against console gaming. Again, save your time and breath because I dont care.

I prefer to game on a console. Simple as that. I can give you the overused excuses of

1) it just works
2) I dont want to tinker with drivers
3) I dont want to troubleshoot
4) I like controllers better
...and on and on and on, but I'm not going to give you those excuses.

I'll provide a simple reason why I game on console and not on PC. Preference. That's it. I have a preference towards consoles. What's not to understand?

Sometimes I'll read in threads, "as long as you're gaming on the platform of your preference, just have fun." Then the next day, I'll read, "I dont understand why people like to game on console when PC is so much superior."

So which stance will people support?

1) game on whatever platform you enjoy gaming on
2) PC because you cant fathom the idea of people enjoying consoles and PC is superior

joecanada

I fully believe this is the case for you, but I do not think that most of the people I've seen in the past making arguments about couches and gamepads are arguing from the same position.

Regarding the gamepad thing specifically, for example, I've seen many people suggest that gamepad use in Windows is somehow a complicated and unreliable thing. In reality, it's pretty much exactly like the Xbox consoles: you plug in a 360 or One gamepad and it works in pretty much all modern games where it would make sense to support it. You've pointed out that you greatly prefer DS3/DS4, though, and yeah, using those involves jumping through hoops. But I have no reason to believe that the average gamer is as much of a Dualshock die-hard.

I get the general conception about TV use, though. Couch keyboard use isn't the most obvious thing, at least not compared to grabbing a gamepad and going, and most users aren't going to set up a completely keyboard-free situation for getting to their games lol.

You just said plug in your Controller .... This is why people talk about the comfy couch thing. Noone wants wired headsets or controllers on the couch. Although you can plug headphones into the controller for tinny sound if you want. This is my biggest pet peeve buying the Xbox wireless adapter and it not working even remotely consistently.... I guess they released a new one now but I'm skeptical it actually performs better

MazeHaze

Banned
You just said plug in your Controller .... This is why people talk about the comfy couch thing. Noone wants wired headsets or controllers on the couch. Although you can plug headphones into the controller for tinny sound if you want. This is my biggest pet peeve buying the Xbox wireless adapter and it not working even remotely consistently.... I guess they released a new one now but I'm skeptical it actually performs better

No problems here with the Xbox wireless adapter, had it for a few months (it came with oculus). I also use my Dualshock 4s via bluetooth with no issue. Just downloaded DS4 windows and set it to run in the background when my computer boots. Hit the PS button and they connect.

So do I for various games. Thankfully we can use controllers on many PC games, in fact there's a lot of games that have controllers set up from the get go(definitely with a 360 controller).

Oh I know. I've played a few games on PC with both the 360 and XBO controllers.

So do I for various games. Thankfully we can use controllers on many PC games, in fact there's a lot of games that have controllers set up from the get go(definitely with a 360 controller).

I'm assuming here but I presume they're talking about Multiplayer games. I mean I like using controllers on pc too but I wouldn't play battlefield or whatever competitively with them.

Top Bottom