• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Sony struggling to reach the next step ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuminus3

I don't know why they don't offer me the option of removing demos from my games list after I uninstall them. They better fix this or they're going out of business for sure.

dealer-

I wonder if there's some amount of laurel-resting to blame for these problems. Microsoft is losing its' sales lead, and thus has incentive to push back and fix the many flaws of the XBox UI & interface. They need to polish out all of the complaints to make it a more attractive product, ASAP.

Sony's not in that positon. They're more than able to coast on their market leader status, and let the natural network effects of that 1st place spot push the hardware. For the whole generation its' going to have the focus of third parties for ports & marketing, and be the place your friends already play games. What's the point of enhancing the user experience, when the users are coming anyways?

Well I hope they aren't thinking like this, even if they are coasting now it's not a good look. Personally, I'm happy with how things are at the moment as long as they keep bringing worthwhile updates in the future.

Microsoft updates the Xbox One monthly with features requested by the community, and they have a dedicated section of the website where you can suggest these features and give your feedback. Overall Microsoft has been far more open with what they are doing with their platform, and I would say that's doing better than Sony.

You mean like this? http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/archived-ideas/

In fact, I believe Sony had that first.

Don't forget @Toshimasa_Aoki!

We asked him for PNG screens and he delivered. We also asked Sony for YT uploads and we eventually got those too, along with a whole mess of cool stuff like SharePlay and communities.

OP, any requests/suggestions you have, @Toshimasa_Aoki is the person you want to be sending them to. Be polite, though. Use the PS Share blog linked above, too.

Of the points made in the opening post, I would like to see tweaks made to the UI. Namely in the form of folders and pinning tiles.

jjonez18

The only problem I have with Sony and the PS4 is the updates. They're rare and they often don't deliver what the fans want. Some of the features are neat little features like SharePlay and Communities, but they should build a base before adding in all of these extras. Folders, PSN name change, offline status, friend notification and the like should have been there from the start.

As for the games: that's just your opinion of PS4 vs XB1. Would like for them to be more punctual about delivering games, though. The amount of delays and undated games from Sony has been ridiculous. Games like Rime, Witness, Uncharted, etc... that were announced like 2 years ago is what I'm talking about.

sora87

People never bought Sony consoles for the first party.

This board overrates Sony first party, imo.

Sony has always been about third party support.

I think the amazing first party support is what turned the PS3s fortunes around last gen and ultimately helped it outsell the 360. They certainly didn't have many third party exclusives.

B.O.O.M

I see people a lot of people talking about games perspective and I didn't have a PS3 at the time, moving directly from 360 to PS4 so I gladly take some remastered collection that I really enjoyed like TloU or Uncharted collection but for the rest of their IPs released since the beginning of this gen are pretty bad besides Bloodborne and Until Dawn, Killzone is far from being a Halo killer ( but I think it could be a better competitor if doing better ), Forza is the king ( until GT7 ?) and there is no Gears of war like games on Sony PS4 atm...

I don't want to really move on a Microsoft vs Sony type or thread, I'm really focusing about what Sony can do better because I really like my PS4 beside the things I talked about in my first post.

See the software situation is an easy one to explain. Unlike MS with Xbox360 Sony didn't basically abandon the PS3 in the last year. PS3's last major year in the market was filled with first party titles. Guess which approach fills consumers with more confidence?

First party situation is a nonissue. You will see this especially next year.
and your taste in games doesn't really mean it's a widely accepted fact. Like you mentioning collections for Sony and a few other games while omitting games like infamous or Driveclub while also ignoring clusterfucks for xbox like the MCC or the fact that PS4 actually has a larger software library.

You make direct comparisons between the two companies and their outings and then proceed to say you don't want such a conversation? Make up your mind why won't you?

People who want folders are not the majority. Social features and streaming are for the majority. Heard of twitch and YouTube? Those are the people that matter right now. The diehards will get their features eventually. Microsoft's problem was that they didn't even have the diehards so they had to rush those features in after the casuals didn't buy in either.

Angel_DvA

It's interesting to read people thought about the situation, it seems like Sony is doing strong for everyone when I think they can do better, people turned it into a console war thread too but it was expected, I shouldn't have talk about MS but whatever, it's funny but Killzone SF was my first Killzone ever but I couldn't help myself to say things like, damn if they could have done this or that, if only the level was more open or more like that the game could have been much better but everyone looks like to have enjoyed it, funny.

Not getting updates you want doesn't mean they're coasting. They've added a lot of improvements and features since it launched. Yeah there's still a way to go, but let's not pretend they've been sat on their hands.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think your being somewhat unfair OP. Yeah there are places they could definitely improve, but Sony started at a pretty good place to begin with this gen so its not really a huge urgency for them to improve their weaker points like MS.

For BC on PS1/PS2, it seems like we'll get that before the end of the year, and also, updates do come with a lot of features every time, so eventually things will be as you want.

You do now MS is pushing out updates to gain consumers, I would bet a nickel that if MS was winning this gen their wouldn't be Backwards Compatibility or a new OS mainly because they would still have DRM and Kinect OS.

Sony's PS4 is fine, they just need folders.

border

PSN is down too frequently, and download speeds on the network are just hot garbage.

PS Now is ruined by terrible pricing structure. As impressive as the technology is, people would have been a lot more wow'ed by actual backwards compatibility.

Morhpeus seems like a very expensive diversion that will flop hard due to cost of entry and poor software support.

Most of this stuff can be fixed but I'm not so sure if Sony is interested in doing it. How long did it take them to get the suspend/resume feature running? Well over a year...

Game quality issues will be subjective, but it has been bizarre to me that they have been unable to deliver any big holiday games, with both The Order and Uncharted getting delayed. New Gran Turismo is nowhere in sight. What is going on over there?

People who want folders are not the majority. Social features and streaming are for the majority. Heard of twitch and YouTube? Those are the people that matter right now. The diehards will get their features eventually. Microsoft's problem was that they didn't even have the diehards so they had to rush those features in after the casuals didn't buy in either.

This. Most people wont give two shits about added folders. I want them and many on gaf do but we are the minority. Features like communities is far more useful and exciting to most people, even to me

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
PlayStation fans by a PlayStation to play those Sony IP that are different than what everyone else offers, not to look at some menus. It appears you prefer Xbox, but fell into the PS4 hype. Here's a suggestion sell your PS4 and get an Xbox. If you want to play Halo, Forza, and Gears why get a PlayStation in the first place ? If you like online shooters why get a PlayStation ? Playstation fans know what we like, and that's those diverse and "different" games that you can't get anywhere else.

MrBenchmark

The system is OK for the most part is fine hardware is fine system eraser design was dumb but whatever.
The UI is also OK but needs game organization I can’t stand that games move around.
Also Sony needs to give a shit about their services! PlayStation VUE which costs $50 a month has been a hot mess for over a month I had to cancel it because they just cannot be bothered to try and fix it.
Never mind that the Vita and PSTV are a joke I cannot believe I wasted so much more having faith in Sony to actually make my Vita and TWO PSTV’s useful.
The PlayStation store still sucks I can’t ever stand to try and load it on the PS3.

I’d appreciate if they could actually try and make the stuff they have work properly especially services people pay for never mind I haven’t even brought up there online which is now a paid service and still needs improvement.
Love my PlayStation stuff but for all of Microsoft shortcomings I find myself using my Xbox’s more because I can count on the services working consistently.
Everyone loves to shout from the mountains how great Sony is and sure they have a good system and games for the most part but they really need to start giving a shit about the services they charge people money for and also all these device they sell then just don’t support.

Special C

I feel like the PS4 is geared much better for the casual gamer, its simple, snappy, and runs most games better.

Xbox One is great for people that care about a more complex, sometimes unwieldy, yet more feature rich UI. Also premium enthusiast things like the Xbox Elite controller.

Or just buy the system with the exclusives you like. Microsoft and Sony are pretty much on par with each other at this point in the generation so it's down to personal preference.

More opinion spouted as fact, the UI is great, I don't care about backwards compatibility, I played the ps1 and ps2 games years ago why would I care about them on my new machine? Online is reliable, and a crop of AAA is coming, next year will be a great time to be a ps4 owner.

None of the talking points you are raising hurt them in sales and most are talking points raised in forums, general public don't give a fuck.

First/second party output is disappointing cause they released a ton of games in 2013 for the PS3. Why they did that I don't know but it is what it is at this point.

Wabba

The reason why you dont see a Halo killer or reboot of old franchises is because Sony gives it developers total freedom to make the games that they want to make. Could you ever picture yourself a Media Molecule Dreams game on Xbox? If you want slightly better online features and hardcore FPS then go for Xbox if you want unique first party games like The Last of Us, Dreams, Horizon and The Last Guardian then choose Playstation. Different brands different strengths.

PSN is not as weak as some people here try to believe, its on par with LIVE and has more next gen sharing features. Shareplay, Req to Watch others and more.

And PS4 has more exclusives and games in general than competition (if you like it or not is a matter of taste really), also it has more upcoming games than competition.

UI is miles better than X1, faster, snappier and to the point, you can start playing your disc in 30 seconds or less something you cant say about X1. all gaming focused features work flawlessly, what else you want here? metro grids filled with bugs and slow to crawl?

You are just over-exaggerating here.

The Truth

Conduit

Banned
It's interesting to read people thought about the situation, it seems like Sony is doing strong for everyone when I think they can do better, people turned it into a console war thread too but it was expected, I shouldn't have talk about MS but whatever, it's funny but Killzone SF was my first Killzone ever but I couldn't help myself to say things like, damn if they could have done this or that, if only the level was more opeb or more like that the game could have been much better but everyone looks like to have enjoyed it, funny.

Why you open this thread at the first place?

neurosyphilis

It's interesting to read people thought about the situation, it seems like Sony is doing strong for everyone when I think they can do better, people turned it into a console war thread too but it was expected, I shouldn't have talk about MS but whatever, it's funny but Killzone SF was my first Killzone ever but I couldn't help myself to say things like, damn if they could have done this or that, if only the level was more opeb or more like that the game could have been much better but everyone looks like to have enjoyed it, funny.
Have you ever owned a PlayStation before the PS4 ? If you did you know shooters aren't Sony's strong suit. Killzone 2 though was probably one of the best shooters of last gen.

I agree that I wish Sony was more aggressive with addressing flaws and making overall improvement, but I also think the problem is largely overblown. Sure, the PSN needs to be faster and especially more stable; but I don't think there are that many problems that I think Sony should have already addressed or at least started working on (like changing PSN names).

As for their 1st party stuff, that's really subjective. Killzone has always been a disappointing series - very pretty, very cool guns, very fun world; but the games have consistently had poor writing. Killzone: Shadow Fall is a solid launch game that generally plays well. infamous: Second Son is a good game - too short, but good. Knack is a game that has a lot of promise but I never expected it to be the revival of the PS2 era Action Platformers (though a sequel would be nice). So the launch lineup was decent. Bloodborne is fantastic. The Order 1886 was super disappointing, but IF they get a chance at a sequel, they have laid the foundation for an awesome game (very good shooting mechanics, a few super fun guns, gorgeous graphics and aesthetics, and very cool lore). I haven't played Until Dawn, but it seems like a definite sleeper hit. DriveClub had a disastrous launch but a lot of people seem to think it's a great game.

So sure, after two years the PS4 has only one must have 1st party game and only a few good games. Nothing stellar. However next year we have Naughty Dog's Uncharted 4 which looks to be incredible. We have Horizon: Zero Dawn which is damn exciting. We still haven't had some major studios/franchises like Sony Santa Monica (God of War), Polyphony Digital (Gran Turismo) nor do we know what other studios are working on. Oh, and while I don't know what kind of quality to expect from The Last Guardian, it's at least a very intriguing game.

Sony historically has inconsistent quality (generally good mind you). Sometimes I think people expect Nintendo 1st party consistency, but that's unrealistic for Sony due to the technical difficulty and ambition of many of their games.

And if next year Uncharted 4 and Horizon: Zero Dawn are both GOTY contenders, that's more than acceptable.

They're annihilating the competition, so they don't really need to care. I would rather that Microsoft and Nintendo hadn't been completely incompetent in their current-gen systems to promote innovation between the three. MS is doing a ton of stuff because they are getting killed in non-US markets, so it's forcing them to do a bunch of cool (depending on your opinion, of course) new things to attract customers.

Jawmuncher

I will say I hope sony will fix the UI on the homepage. Hate having a long bar of stuff.
Let me choose what i want there and what order they go.

Game quality issues will be subjective, but it has been bizarre to me that they have been unable to deliver any big holiday games, with both The Order and Uncharted getting delayed. New Gran Turismo is nowhere in sight. What is going on over there?

Sony doesn't have to force unfinished games into a holiday schedule like third party AAA publishers do. They sit back sell hardware and collect license fee's.

Crzy1

I can't see the benefit of backwards compatibility or trying to clone Microsoft. Each system offers it's own experience. There are some things that could be done better, but Sony doesn't have pockets as deep as Microsoft, so they have to pick what will benefit the majority of users over what a vocal few want.

B.O.O.M

They're annihilating the competition, so they don't really need to care. I would rather that Microsoft and Nintendo hadn't been completely incompetent in their current-gen systems to promote innovation between the three. MS is doing a ton of stuff because they are getting killed in non-US markets, so it's forcing them to do a bunch of cool (depending on your opinion, of course) new things to attract customers.

Here's a different perspective..Sony is doing well 'because' they care (may not be about you personally value) about the consumer base.

The system is OK for the most part is fine hardware is fine system eraser design was dumb but whatever.
The UI is also OK but needs game organization I can’t stand that games move around.
Also Sony needs to give a shit about their services! PlayStation VUE which costs $50 a month has been a hot mess for over a month I had to cancel it because they just cannot be bothered to try and fix it.
Never mind that the Vita and PSTV are a joke I cannot believe I wasted so much more having faith in Sony to actually make my Vita and TWO PSTV’s useful.
The PlayStation store still sucks I can’t ever stand to try and load it on the PS3.

I’d appreciate if they could actually try and make the stuff they have work properly especially services people pay for never mind I haven’t even brought up there online which is now a paid service and still needs improvement.
Love my PlayStation stuff but for all of Microsoft shortcomings I find myself using my Xbox’s more because I can count on the services working consistently.
Everyone loves to shout from the mountains how great Sony is and sure they have a good system and games for the most part but they really need to start giving a shit about the services they charge people money for and also all these device they sell then just don’t support.

Which services aren't working for you?

This is the third xbox system I gave away to my brother in law.

neurosyphilis

He knew what he was doing and getting into. They all do when they start these stealth console war threads. That goes for every side. I think people create these ind of threads out of spite. And then when it goes the way it goes, they try to pretend like they're surprised.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Sony has more exclusives coming out early next year then the competition will have for the rest of the year based on lists.

Why does 'holidays' matter so much? Because everything else was labeled 'preseason'?

Bgamer90

Banned
He knew what he was doing and getting into. They all do when they start these stealth console war threads. That goes for every side. I think people create these kind of threads out of spite. And then when it goes the way it goes, they try to pretend like they're surprised.

Fully agree.

FelipeMGM

So, OP is a Xbox fan triyng to pass as a PSation fan?
/jk

Srsly though, Sony have problems with the UI and The Psn and we all know that, but that doesnt really makes it a bad console. And I think you are making a very weak analysis on the games lineup, Xbox had very little first party IP so far, most of their games are Tp exclusives that were bought and that also came to PC.

I think the Xone is Just now becoming a exclusive powerhouse with Halo 5, which is the biggest fp exclusive Between the consoles this far in the generation.

Duxxy3

I wish they could do what Microsoft is doing right now, being #4theplayers.

You really think Microsoft is doing better than Sony?

At supporting players - yes.

Sony did everything right in the beginning. Powerful hardware. Solid price. No ridiculous online requirements. And those moves in the beginning are still paying off today.

PSN is still crap. We're still missing basic features in the OS that we had with the PS3. First party games have been largely disappointing. Worst is that it seems like Sony is not listening like they did at the beginning of the generation.

King_Moc

Banned
Why would they make new versions of Killzone, Knack etc? Public perception of those games is probably set in stone. If they spend millions making a great game, they may well sell less than a new IP would have because of people not liking the previous games.

Game4life

Banned
PSN is down too frequently, and download speeds on the network are just hot garbage.

PS Now is ruined by terrible pricing structure. As impressive as the technology is, people would have been a lot more wow'ed by actual backwards compatibility.

Morhpeus seems like a very expensive diversion that will flop hard due to cost of entry and poor software support.

Most of this stuff can be fixed but I'm not so sure if Sony is interested in doing it. How long did it take them to get the suspend/resume feature running? Well over a year...

Who really cares when Bloodborne this year will be better than all the holiday games combined on any console :)

He knew what he was doing and getting into. They all do when they start these stealth console war threads. That goes for every side. I think people create these ind of threads out of spite. And then when it goes the way it goes, they try to pretend like they're surprised.

This. Embarrassing OP.

nib95

Banned
They obviously have a lot of work to do still, but the UI and overall features have been solid from day one. Very quick and snappy, with the social stuff pinned down pretty well. If anything in terms of speed, usability and efficiency, it's been the competition playing catch up.

And in terms of exclusives, I don't think systems are necessarily going to have exact like for likes, nor would I want them to. I bought the systems to have different experiences. Uncharted isn't supposed to be just like Gears of War, Gran Turismo isn't supposed to be just like Forza, or Drivelclub like Horizon, Bloodborne like Scalebound, God of War like Fable, InFamous like Sunset Overdrive, Last of Us like Dead Rising etc etc. Similar genres? Sure? The same exact type of game? No.

I much prefer the PS4 UI to the current XB1 UI (not beta). I press the Playstation button and I'm immediately at the dashboard, checking my communities or the store, inviting friends to join, watch or play my game. I press the button again and I'm immediately back in the game. It's all faster than XB1, and I don't have to deal with shit like Snap.

I do think Sony have been taking their time with some requested features that should be easy to add though, like folders for games and other applications. They've done a good job with the PS4 firmware in my opinion, but they could certainly do better with both that and PSN.

viHuGi

Banned
Well The Order and Knack were mediocre, and Driveclub wasn't my cup of tea, so I'm pretty worried about the future of Sony.

Like, what do they have coming out next year? Street Fighter V? That's on the PC too - a Microsoft system.

Sony is too complacent with first place. That's why Sony players will have nothing to play come a few months.

/s

Joke Post?

Dreams, Uncharted 4, SF V, Horizon, Last Guardian, Ratchet and Clank, No Man Sky´s, Gran Turismo 7 (Likely), Singularity (might slip to 2017), God of War IV (might slip to 2017), Rime, Wild.

I'm not dismissing your opinion OP... But I bought a system to play games.. Not to play operating system. Playing games and making sure they run and my system doesn't blow up is number one.

Everything else is secondary and a bonus. I have waaaaay too much electronics to constant cry over certain features that just are extra. I do believe that smaller things like folders and external HDD support is a must but I'm not here trying to type my essay on my gaming console and snap this that and the third etc etc etc.... Just play my games, let me watch Netflix before I go to bed and talk to my friends and I'm good.

Elios83

OP if you like what Xbox is offering more, buy a Xbox, it's as simple as that.
That doesn't mean that Sony can't improve their system and its features (there are a few requested things like folders, login notifications and others that are still missing), but they're constantly improving the system.
PS4 right now is certainly not the same product it was in 2013 at launch, it does a lot of things more. We didn't have suspend/resume, access to OS functions during BR playback, 3D Blu Ray support, DLNA, png support, ability to ask players to share gameplay, Youtube support and streaming to Youtube, now communities and events and many other features.
Downplaying all these things just to focus on what's still missing means you're not watching at the full picture.
The first party issue will be dead and buried by the end of next year. They're just late, they had a few key teams starting PS4 development late because of strong PS3 support until 2013, even a few teams doing things on Vita (Bend, Cambridge) and they got hit by delays this holiday season with Uncharted 4 and Ratchet&Clank. It's clearly a matter of development time, not certainly a lack of investements in the platform.
And if you're not that excited about future first party games they have announced, again, maybe you've chosen the wrong console for your tastes.

Angel_DvA

Because it's a gaming board and I have an opinion to share, good or bad, it's probably doesn't suit you and I don't really care ; )

Have you ever owned a PlayStation before the PS4 ? If you did you know shooters aren't Sony's strong suit. Killzone 2 though was probably one of the best shooters of last gen.

Yes I owned all of them beside the PS3 because the 360 had better games for me at the time like Mass Effect, Fable, Gears of War, Forza motorsport and Halo then I moved to the PS4 and hope Sony would have improved in some genre like the FPS one for example.

Sony is struggling on many ways. The success if the PS4 is a minor improvement. Fact is, Sony is in financial struggle since many years, and it gets worse every year, they have simply not enough money to spend on many first party games or Vita.

IndustryX

Give me folders, the ability to change my psn and online notifications and we're all good.

The hdd issue is a non issue swapping mine was so simple

Uncharted 4, a new GT, playstation VR, the last guardian AND Horizon Zero Dawn next year? Not to mention Dreams, Sony Santa Monica project, bend studio, and other studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom