• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Sony struggling to reach the next step ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony is struggling on many ways. The success if the PS4 is a minor improvement. Fact is, Sony is in financial struggle since many years, and it gets worse every year, they have simply not enough money to spend on many first party games or Vita.

What is this? Vita sales don't justify the cost of major 1st party offerings. If people had bought tearaway and killzone, we wouldn't be in this message. As far as the rest of this post, LOL

Withnail

I think the UI is fast and efficient and the recent additions like communities are fun. The online works fine for me. There are more good games than I have time to play.

Opinions huh.

AmyS

2yO2Q1a.jpg

Conduit

Banned
Because it's a gaming board and I have an opinion to share, good or bad, it's probably doesn't suit you and I don't really care ; )

You opened a thread without doing any research. Especially this post of yours :

I think they do, they are listening to their fan base, bring Backward compatibility, new IPs that are looking really great like Scalebound, Quantum Break Sea of thieves etc..., they already released some good games like ori, Forza series, Sunset Overdrive etc... and has their first party studio at full speed, they have a good online service, a great customer service, updates are frequently released and a new UI is coming next.

That post is just full of shit.

Game4life

Banned
Sony is struggling on many ways. The success if the PS4 is a minor improvement. Fact is, Sony is in financial struggle since many years, and it gets worse every year, they have simply not enough money to spend on many first party games or Vita.

They should consult KratosEnergyDrink and get some tips on how to manage finances considering how your vast knowledge and in depth analysis of Sony's balance sheet allowed you to come up with such an informed conclusion.

While I'll admit the title is some straight-up troll bait, at some point it seems weird that somebody can't complain about the PS4's UI & network issues without it scrambling into a console war.

SURGEdude

I think they do, they are listening to their fan base, bring Backward compatibility, new IPs that are looking really great like Scalebound, Quantum Break Sea of thieves etc..., they already released some good games like ori, Forza series, Sunset Overdrive etc... and has their first party studio at full speed, they have a good online service, a great customer service, updates are frequently released and a new UI is coming next.

Wait, great customer service? HAAAHAAA!!!!!

XBL customer service is terrible. Their reps are usually clueless at best. I can list off half a dozen times they either screwed me and I never got it resolved or they tried to and I got it reversed.

Sony's is pretty much just as bad but it's like Comcast vs. Time Warner. They're both dumpster fires.

King_Moc

Banned

What the hell are you talking about? They make a crazy number of first party games. they're probably not far off Nintendo in that area. This is a really, really bizarre thing to say in a thread that's basically turned into MS v Sony.

While I'll admit the title is some straight-up troll bait, at some point it seems weird that somebody can't complain about the PS4's UI & network issues without it scrambling into a console war.

The OP's post seemed fine until he went straight up fanboy at the very end. Hard to have a proper discussion when someone wears their biases on their sleeve like that.

And I still don't see what there is to complain about with the PS4's UI. Is it that you have to go out of your way to find the adverts, and the games you last played are right there when you turn it on?

SaitoH

You already bought the console. They got your money. They are winning the war. So they are complacent. don't give a fuck anymore. If you want Sony to start giving a fuck you have to light a fire under their ass. If every gaffer bought 5 or so The Ones (a platform where the platform holder is actually giving a fuck) that would teach Sony a lesson and maybe make them actually try again.

I mean, just look at the difference in leadership. When Shu goes to panels, he doesn't give a fuck. He just falls asleep. Sony habit. Phil, on the other hand, just oozes hunger and ambition. There is a fire in his eyes. Intense, yet durable. He has muscles like a cheetah in the jungle, ready to strike at any time, and a voice that commands authority and presence. That is ambition. That is willingness to do better.

This is one fantastic post. Thank you.

Nesther

Redesigns are a dangerous thing. Never forget the PS3 store redesign. Ran like utter shit, and still does.

I'd rather they stick to the current one that's snappy as fuck, and add some minor things like notification.
And let us hide the live section under each game, ffs.

Another redesign that I ended up disliking was the 360 one. Loved the initial 360 blades UI. The new one was a step down in my opinion.

kingkenny76

You already bought the console. They got your money. They are winning the war. So they are complacent. don't give a fuck anymore. If you want Sony to start giving a fuck you have to light a fire under their ass. If every gaffer bought 5 or so The Ones (a platform where the platform holder is actually giving a fuck) that would teach Sony a lesson and maybe make them actually try again.

I mean, just look at the difference in leadership. When Shu goes to panels, he doesn't give a fuck. He just falls asleep. Sony habit. Phil, on the other hand, just oozes hunger and ambition. There is a fire in his eyes. Intense, yet durable. He has muscles like a cheetah in the jungle, ready to strike at any time, and a voice that commands authority and presence. That is ambition. That is willingness to do better.
tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn.gif

MrBenchmark

Which services aren't working for you?

This is the third xbox system I gave away to my brother in law.
Just to state it I own every console every generation so I’m not fanboying. Pretty sure I stated what services aren’t working for me in my post.

And which things I would like improved. Xbox isn’t perfect either but I always feel safer giving my money to Microsoft for services as I know they will work and be supported SONY needs that desperately but won’t bother when they are selling systems like hot cakes unfortunately whether that is thru arrogance or incompetence I’m not sure.

When system 2.0 released PSVUE was crashing the system requiring a reboot and file check then that stopped and PSVUE just works like shit or not at all now the support forums are full of issues and Sony does not even respond to the issues. this is the kind of shit I can't tolerate.

Like I said the system is OK games OK but it the little things they kind of ignore.

and for reference all my systems are hard wired on a gigabit network with 105Mbps internet.

I just want that if i pay them money for services PSVUE PSN ETC, that they actively improve them and not abandon them I.E VITA PSTV.

Sony is a good hardware company but they are very Nintendo in there services competency not as bad but still just not good.

Game4life

Banned

Your tag is appropriate lol. This post is amazing.

-Horizon-

I just want a nice way to organize all my stuff on the menu and on my purchase list for all my Sony devices. I'm not really asking for much :/

leroidys

I think the UI is fine, but it's ridiculous that the PS4 still isn't as good at multimedia as the PS3, and that there's still no support for ps1 or ps2 games. These are all facts. Then there's my opinion that it's been SCE's weakest output on any console they've ever released. I feel you OP.

They don't give a fuck, thats why at E3 2015 we got this:

hype2qplvg.gif

Nobody wants those things, they clearly don't give a fuck... sigh

PensOwl

Banned
They're a little slow on the OS stuff, but tbh I was surprised by the controller remapping and the increase in cloud storage. They made good on the dlna media player, communities, YouTube streaming. So not the most commicative or fast, but getting there, with some nice surprises thrown in (I really never thought we'd see button remapping on consoles)

This is the Sony we've all come to love and hate. I don't know why everyone expected being in first place to Change that. Sony strength is and always has been their unique and wide ranging first party studio of games they've never been ahead of the game in terms of OS features or online stuff and being in first place isn't going to change that.

x0DkfTh.gif

Never stop hydro

Online notifications are definitely something that needs to happen soon. I guess they massively prioritised other things. On the whole it's a great platform, I just hope the quarterly sub hike will help fund seriously needed server expansion.

Trace

Banned
The PS4 UI is fine. The Xbox One UI is unusable, I don't really see the problem. Like one of the main reasons I don't turn on my Xbox One that often is because it takes me like 20-30 seconds to do what it would take me 10 on the PS4.

Grief.exe

They don't give a fuck, thats why at E3 2015 we got this:

hype2qplvg.gif

Nobody wants those things, they clearly don't give a fuck... sigh

This generation both platform holders are cool with releasing games on PC as well as their platform. Mentality where as long as the competing console doesn't get the title, then it's a win.

Consumer friendly in a way, where at least it gives the consumers options rather than complete exclusive.

revelationsg3k99.gif

Why in the hell did the OP even buy a PS4 if he just wants an Xbox?

I know it's viewed differently on this forum, but I feel like the Xbox is a better fit for the more mainstream gamer as far as total library in 2015.

Just outside opinion, I don't own either platform.

Rad-

Sony always gets a bit lazy when it leads.

I personally do hope they make PSN more stable and faster considering I pay for the service.

gabagool

Banned
Well The Order and Knack were mediocre, and Driveclub wasn't my cup of tea, so I'm pretty worried about the future of Sony.

Like, what do they have coming out next year? Street Fighter V? That's on the PC too - a Microsoft system.

Sony is too complacent with first place. That's why Sony players will have nothing to play come a few months.

/s
Took me a little too long to figure out you were kidding.

Dreams, Last Guardian, Horizon, Uncharted 4, Street Fighter V, Persona V, Dragon Quest XI, Rime, Wild, Rachet & Clank, No Man's Sky, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, Gravity Rush 2, What Remains of Edith Finch, all to launch in 2016...

Then you have the share features, streaming options, and not mention VR and lots of first party games for that hardware.

You can't be on all fronts, you bet on future or rely on playing it safe.

My only real complain is something that couldn't happen: A better The Order 1886, a success Sony Santa Monica game that had to be cancelled, and the delay of Uncharted 4. But I'm glad that I got Bloodborne, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Until Dawn, Batman Arkham Knight, The Witcher III, Metal Gear Solid V, is not that I'm staring on my PS4 cursing...

ironcreed

Banned
The UI is bare bones, but it is fast and easy to use. As far as PSN goes, it was better for me on PS3 than it is now with the slow downloads and such. Overall I enjoy the system, but I don't feel like it is really going to start flexing it's muscles for me until next year.

Jigorath

Banned
This generation both platform holders are cool with releasing games on PC as well as their platform. Mentality where as long as the competing console doesn't get the title, then it's a win.

Nah. We're never going to be playing Bloodborne or Halo 5 on PC.

It's more about paying 3rd parties for exclusivity deals where they don't mind PC releases as much.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
There's more to a good UI the just how clean and fast it is. It's far away from a perfect UI when I have no controls over the location of my games and it sucks when they are just thrown all around without no way to change the order of them or put it in folders. Speed of the UI means nothing to me when I have to take time going through games in the bar or library instead of having everything in set places where I know exactly what I want to look for.

I complain about this exact thing whenever the topic really allows me too, and sorry if people get annoyed by it. I feel it's the only way to get heard and I think it's something that would only further improve the user experience on the UI and take whats an decent UI and make it something truly great. Just look at how the Vita is, it's so quick and easy to use when I have everything labeled and accessable where I want it.

I never said it was perfect. Of course it can be improved. The library is one such area.

The person I quoted claimed the whole UI was a bad user experience which it is far from being and that is largely down to it being very quick and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom