• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Sony struggling to reach the next step ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's not perfect but most things work as intendended. cant complain much. the only thing that boggles my mind is that i cant see when my friends go online but apperently it's very important to tell me when someone joined a party.

You already bought the console. They got your money. They are winning the war. So they are complacent. don't give a fuck anymore. If you want Sony to start giving a fuck you have to light a fire under their ass. If every gaffer bought 5 or so The Ones (a platform where the platform holder is actually giving a fuck) that would teach Sony a lesson and maybe make them actually try again.

I mean, just look at the difference in leadership. When Shu goes to panels, he doesn't give a fuck. He just falls asleep. Sony habit. Phil, on the other hand, just oozes hunger and ambition. There is a fire in his eyes. Intense, yet durable. He has muscles like a cheetah in the jungle, ready to strike at any time, and a voice that commands authority and presence. That is ambition. That is willingness to do better.

Let's face it, all Microsoft is doing is pandering to their fans who haven't switched yet. Everything about the Xbox One pre-launch was a mistake. It's messaging was unclear at best and downright stupid at worst. It was released in the awkward time between Windows 8 winding down and Windows 10 gearing up for launch. They priced it completely wrong and it was underspecced and harder to develop for. Yeah Phil Spencer is going to preach the good word about gamers. They want that audience now. They really thought they were also going to go for an audience who wanted a TV box in addition to a game console. Suffice to say it didn't work. Now they have to turn around and go "Oh baby I'm sorry please come back."

Sony meanwhile did everything right out of the gate. They created a console that was powerful enough. Made developing for it easier and welcomed smaller developers with open arms. Not to mention your wrong about Shu. The market has decided. People want the PS4. It ended up being the better buy in the end. Nothing you can do to change that. Microsoft can promise a supermodel now with an Xbox One and they would still not convince customers to switched.

There is one thing that majorly bugs me with the PS4, and that's no external storage. And that I, and a small handful of users worldwide, have been unable to log into PSN for the past two days.

They don't give a fuck, thats why at E3 2015 we got this:

hype2qplvg.gif

Nobody wants those things, they clearly don't give a fuck... sigh

So they get the credit for TLG twice?
NMS and Horizon hype is a tautology btw. Circular hype.

Really coming out these bushes eh? Mods getting them shovels ready no doubt. And it's not even E3 or CBOAT or ntkrnl thread... Just wanted to go up on a Saturday I guess lol.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
UI:

I wish I could put games, apps where I wanted them instead of them going on by most, last played, used.

I wish I could remove uninstalled, deleted games from the console library.

If these are the biggest issues with the UI I have...they did something right. Its minimal but not to a fault IMO.

I wish the PS4 had external harddrive support.

Thats about it from me.

They did so many things right with the PS4 MS had to change course just to keep up. I dont know if whatever cons the PS4 has means they are struggling to reach the next step but they are doing many things right. So much so it made the XBO better in some areas just by the changes MS did.

I don't actually understand the desire for folders. Scrolling to the right to the games list is perfectly fine for me in the rare cases that's necessary.

Daouzin

The PS4 UI is fine. The Xbox One UI is unusable, I don't really see the problem. Like one of the main reasons I don't turn on my Xbox One that often is because it takes me like 20-30 seconds to do what it would take me 10 on the PS4.

Yeah, I'll never understand why people like an Ad hub over basic usability, I can't stand the new windows tile based visual look and every time an Xbox One dashboard shows up, I cringe a bit.

In order of usability/my personal preference I'd order console UI the following:

PS4>PS3>360 old blades>Xbox 360>Xbox One

I love how simple Sony UI is. I will never understand the hate for PS4/PS3 UI.

Why was OP banned?

Also I don't see what's wrong with the PS4 UI. It's not slow af like the UI on my XB1 so it's not an issue for me, personally.

N.Domixis

Banned
it's not perfect but most things work as intendended. cant complain much. the only thing that boggles my mind is that i cant see when my friends go online but apperently it's very important to tell me when someone joined a party.
Probably has to do to the fact that you can have thousands of friends so you'd be spammed online notifications? Maybe?

FranXico

So they get the credit for TLG twice?
NMS and Horizon hype is a tautology btw. Circular hype.

Horizon hype is a "tautology"? Circular hype? As in, hyped without any reason to begin with?
The gameplay demo had nothing to do with the hype?

This thread truly delivers.
#4theLOLz

Footos22

Well The Order and Knack were mediocre, and Driveclub wasn't my cup of tea, so I'm pretty worried about the future of Sony.

Like, what do they have coming out next year? Street Fighter V? That's on the PC too - a Microsoft system.

Sony is too complacent with first place. That's why Sony players will have nothing to play come a few months.

/s

Ms had nothing to play for 8 months of this year so what's your point?

jaypah

Dude came with a pitchfork and got circle jerked on lol. I don't know how he could see this thread going any other way. Oh man, nice thread!

chadskin

PSN is down too frequently, and download speeds on the network are just hot garbage.

I've been playing Rocket League like every other day since it was released and PSN never went down for me (Europe). Really, since I bought a PS4 on launch, the only time I noticed PSN being down was at the end of 2014 when both networks got DDoS'd over the Christmas days.

It seems as though whenever people mention here or elsewhere that they're experiencing PSN issues, it's being taken as PSN must be down for everyone when in fact that's not necessarily always the case. There are often continental, regional or even local issues with ISPs or the PSN itself that only affect a subset of users.

Download speeds were indeed pretty terrible for a while for me, too, but FW 3.0 fixed that on my end and others.

i-Jest

I've gotten use to the UI, however, a change would be nice, but I do wish they'd update the browser and deliver better customer service, especially when it comes to issues of theft.

OmegaDL50

I don't really think Microsoft is the ideal example for Sony to look at here when it comes to services, Sony should take a look at Steam and see what Valve is doing right there. Feels like Sony took PSN in the opposite direction of what they should've taken; One snappy, customizable, consistent and above all, free. Also, no NTFS support? What year is it?

NTFS is a file system that is wholly owned by Microsoft. The PS4 runs on the FreeBSD OS, which doesn't natively support write and usually read-only on NTFS partitioned drives.

It can be done as shown here - http://virtuallyhyper.com/2012/10/mounting-an-ntfs-disk-in-write-mode-in-freebsd-9/

But the process is more complicated then necessary. There IS a reason that most non-MS OS devices don't have native NTFS support without tricky workarounds.

oRuin

I love the simplicity of the PS4 UI. All I want is to play a game. Left/Right and X. I dont turn my console on to do battle with a UI. I also don't want to be bombarded by ads.

I hope Sony has something in the works in terms of UI. It's incredibly banal, and feels bare bones in a bad way.

I get it's all about games for Sony, but their interface is not good looking. It's functionality at all costs, and I think there's a place somewhere between looks and functionality that Sony should move closer to.

Microsoft is getting there with the Xbox, and I wish Sony would move there as well. A redo of the playstation OS would give them the option to right the wrongs right now, and add in stuff like folders.

Bolivar687

Banned
Hey I noticed OP and a few others in here get banned, with comments that don't really seem off the mark of what we regularly see here.

Astroturfing?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I hope Sony has something in the works in terms of UI. It's incredibly banal, and feels bare bones in a bad way.

I get it's all about games for Sony, but their interface is not good looking. It's functionality at all costs, and I think there's a place somewhere between looks and functionality that Sony should move closer to.

Microsoft is getting there with the Xbox, and I wish Sony would move there as well. A redo of the playstation OS would give them the option to right the wrongs right now, and add in stuff like folders.
Besides being able to pin games/apps and folders, the PS4 UI is fantastic. It gets straight to the point and doesn't fuck around, no need to complicate it further.

Besides being able to pin games/apps and folders, the PS4 UI is fantastic. It gets straight to the point and doesn't fuck around, no need to complicate it further.

Being able to pin stuff on the PS4 UI would be surprised nice.

Personally I don't like the long line of icons on the PS4, and the grid would go a long way.

Something that would fuse the Update Wall ting on PS4 with a pinned apps would be cool. Something that isn't as static as it is now.

It's of course very subjective, but I really don't like the simplistic nature of the PS4 UI. I get why a lot of people like it and its "Get down to business" attitude. I just want a bit more then that. Of course, very subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom