• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there a popcorn button on microwaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, every single brand of popcorn tells you explicitely NOT to use the button. In bold and underlined.

What the hell is the point of that button then? Why have it when microwaves are being designed?

MIMIC

Banned
I don't get it either. There are a lot of buttons no one uses.

I only use the reheat and defrost (when I don't feel like letting the bacon thaw)

HUELEN10

It's for non-microwaveble ready-packet popcorn. See for yourself in the enclosed instruction books of many microwaves.

Many microwaves nowadays, except for very basic models, will actually have a humidity sensor built into them. They measure the moisture content coming off of your food to determine when it's done, because microwaves work by exciting water molecules in your food. The different food buttons basically narrow down the expected range of humidity, because if you think about it, your popcorn has a much different moisture content than Grandma's turkey dinner. In microwaves that don't have a sensor, they're basically just ball-parking the cook time and power level.

There you go.

I do what I want, bag of microwaveable popcorn. If I want to use the button, I'm going to use the damn button. I own you, I own the microwave, and I'll cook you however I like.

EDIT: I just cooked a bag with the "popcorn" button. Delicious.

kick51

Banned
"The popcorn conundrum," to use industry parlance, subtly aids in the making of executive decisions. They removed the popcorn button from all models produced in 2004 and found that car accidents in the u.s. increased by 5% as a result, so they put them back on the 2005 models.

Jedi2016

The popcorn button on my microwave is perfectly timed for the popcorn I use. Why would I not use it? It's not like I'm outside mowing the grass while the popcorn is cooking, I'm usually standing right there next to the microwave anyway.

MIMIC

Banned
I just tried it for the first time.

Now my apartment is filled with the smell of burned popcorn xD

I knew it was gonna burn because there was a whole minute left after the last kernel popped.

Allforce

Ours has a billion buttons and all I ever do is press the "+30 seconds" button as many times as I need to. So I press it 5 times for popcorn (2:30). That seems to do the trick.

There's probably a billion different tricks and secrets to microwaves that I have no idea about, all I ever do is press that "+30 seconds" button for every single thing.

MIMIC

Banned
Ours has a billion buttons and all I ever do is press the "+30 seconds" button as many times as I need to. So I press it 5 times for popcorn (2:30). That seems to do the trick.

There's probably a billion different tricks and secrets to microwaves that I have no idea about, all I ever do is press that "+30 seconds" button for every single thing.

2:30?! Jesus! lol

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I use the super secret setting that nobody knows about. Which is activated by pressing all the buttons on the microwave at once.

Allforce

2:30?! Jesus! lol

I do the "listen for 2 seconds between pops" to ensure a perfect bag of popped corn with just enough kernels remaining to crack into.

But mostly we use a Whirly Popper anymore anyways, which is a way more chaotic and fun way to pop popcorn.

DrkSage

I used the chicken button to cook my popcorn

So... Popcorn chicken?
happy-ba-dum-tss.png

i laughed way to hard at my own post... I should probably go to sleep...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Because College kids are morons and when they don't use the Popcorn button they burn their shit and set off dorm room fire alarms at 3am in the middle of winter forcing everyone outside for 30 minutes while security makes sure everything is OK.

Zeppeli

Banned
They're in cahoots with the life insurance people. They're trying to get you to burn your house down and yourself included.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Look, maybe I don't want to "read" or put out effort. Who has time for that? I just want some popcorn.

The same people who use the button also microwave their Pop tarts instead of just toasting them

Edit: Anyone else notice that popcorn cooks faster now? I could almost swear it was 5-6 minutes as a kid.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I too never had a problem with that button.

I always assumed (Newer higher-end) microwave technology was smart and had sensors that could tell when the popcorn was popped enough somehow and would stop it in time.

I mean, I don't know exactly how technology works completely. There are sensors out there that can do anything.

Microwaves have reheat features that can tell the inner temperature and make sure it's cooked right, so why not have one that can make perfect popcorn?

Whenever I DON'T use that button, that's when I end up burning it or undercooking it. The first time I used the Popcorn button it popped it perfectly with hardly any unpopped kernels. I assumed that was what it was for.

My popcorn button goes for 2:00 min. But if manually pop for 1:52 it is perfectly popped. Those eight seconds can lead to some overdone kernels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom