• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Suikoden 2 on PSN?

CeePhour

Banned
I believe there are emulation issues with it. I'm sure there is a less-than-legal CFW answer for the PSP that can clear this up.

MrDaravon

This and the Tales games are the two absences that really actively bother me. I've seen speculation that Suikoden 2 might be due to some weird glitches and untranslated text at the end of the game, but that strikes me as odd if true. The Tales games I have no goddamn idea.

This question applies to a lot of games that are missing and would sell reasonably well. The answer is that there is no answer. It will always be a mystery

graywolf323

Konami is dumb

that's the only reason I can come up with

edit: I disagree with people who claim this is like a lot of other games that are missing, what other prominent series have the first game up but not the second?

Tomba doesn't count :p

For a bunch of reasons I am under NDA not to talk about.

But I can tell you it's NOT all these:

Cause Konami is clueless.

Because Konami hates Suikoden.

Konami is dumb

Because it isn't Metal Gear. Hur hur hur.

At least some people have come up with reasonable reasons (albeit incorrect):

Probably licenses, translation contracts, and those types of hurdles. Same reason Marvel games are not on PSN

Justified

The stipulations for PSone Classics are that they have to be submitted as is.

Breath of Fire III got around that by re-release on PSP and changing some things like:

Stallion's sprite being recolored
utmostattack_zps28cd7f4b.jpg

stallionpsp_zpsd554e939.jpg

Because they could have been sued by the creators of:

ultraman_zps7aabfea2.jpg

Dragon

Banned
Konami is dumb

that's the only reason I can come up with

edit: I disagree with people who claim this is like a lot of other games that are missing, what other prominent series have the first game up but not the second?

Tomba doesn't count :p

Breath of Fire III is on PSP in Europe but neither region has the ps1 version. Whereas BoF IV is up in the US.

Probably licenses, translation contracts, and those types of hurdles. Same reason Marvel games are not on PSN

yeah, no.

The marvel games WERE on PSN, and even got re-releases specific to the format with improvements. Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 1, AND Marvel Super Heroes were all PSN games. The marvel license has simply expired. Anyone who was really interested had plenty of time.

On the other hand, Suikoden 1 has been sitting on PSN for quite some time. It's not a licensing issue or THAT game wouldn't be there.

The likely reason Suikoden 2 (english) hasn't seen a re-release is because THAT game was notoriously riddled with bugs and translation errors, and Konami either does not want to or doesn't have the ability to fix the game to SCEA's standards.

Dragon

Banned
yeah, no.

The marvel games WERE on PSN, and even got re-releases specific to the format with improvements. Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 1, AND Marvel Super Heroes were all PSN games. The marvel license has simply expired. Anyone who was really interested had plenty of time.

On the other hand, Suikoden 1 has been sitting on PSN for quite some time. It's not a licensing issue or THAT game wouldn't be there.

The likely reason Suikoden 2 hasn't seen a re-release is because THAT game was notoriously riddled with bugs and translation errors, and Konami either does not want to or doesn't have the ability to fix those games to SCEA's standards.

Xenogears has a game glitching bug with one of the moves by a boss. At least on ps2 consoles. Gonna disagree with you.

Justified

yeah, no.

The likely reason Suikoden 2 (english) hasn't seen a re-release is because THAT game was notoriously riddled with bugs and translation errors, and Konami either does not want to or doesn't have the ability to fix the game to SCEA's standards.

Thats still the hurdle though. Sony requires that all PSone Classic re-releases be completely unaltered. Developers can't even fix typos or mistranslations, if they do I has to be significant enough to be a remaster. And if you read post #19, you would have your answer, unless of coure YOU are breaking NDA....

Xenogears has a game glitching bug with one of the moves by a boss. At least on ps2 consoles. Gonna disagree with you.

One obscure bug is one thing, and PS2 to PSX errors can be an issue with the emulation.

Suikoden 2 has a LOT of these translation and sound errors. It's not just one, they're not obscure, and it's a certainty that SCEA is aware of the state that game is in.

QUOTE=Justified;97009619]Thats still the hurdle though. Sony requires that all PSone Classic re-releases be completely unaltered. Developers can't even fix typos or mistranslations, if they do I has to be significant enough to be a remaster

Suikoden 2 WAS remastered for PSP, but SCEA rejected it. No one really knows the reason, but I'm willing to bet "same busted translation" has something to do with it.

Eusis

We had an example of how certain things can be an issue now that weren't for whatever reason.

Sony just needs to waive that requirement at this point, most of what can come out as-is has, at least require an explanation for changes or whatever when submitted if they want to be that anal and note that there may be differences on the PSN store front.

And Sony have been a pain in the ass about "new content" for NA releases while not caring in Japan, it was one if their most frustrating traits and hopefully they're over that now.

MrDaravon

Suikoden 2 WAS remastered for PSP, but SCEA rejected it. No one really knows the reason, but I'm willing to bet "same busted translation" has something to do with it.

Wasn't it something with them at the time requiring new/additional content? IIRC the PSP version of Suikoden 1 + 2 just added the widescreen.

I would LOVE to know what on earth kind of licensing or translation contract could exist that would prevent Suikoden 2 from being listed, since that makes no sense for a ton of reasons. It would have to be something completely out of left-field.

B.K.

SCEA rejected Suikoden I&II because they didn't want 2D ports on the PSP at the time.

The stipulations for PSone Classics are that they have to be submitted as is.

Breath of Fire III got around that by re-release on PSP and changing some things like:

Stallion's sprite being recolored
utmostattack_zps28cd7f4b.jpg

stallionpsp_zpsd554e939.jpg

Because they could have been sued by the creators of:

ultraman_zps7aabfea2.jpg

Where was the Black Stallion? On PSP?

Eusis

SCEA rejected Suikoden I&II because they didn't want 2D ports on the PSP at the time.
Little wonder some of us were so down on them years back. Absolutely frustrating when they get the niche game support only for the NA branch to go "nope" to releasing for stupid reasons that don't even involve potential controversies.

Aretak

I believe there are emulation issues with it. I'm sure there is a less-than-legal CFW answer for the PSP that can clear this up.
It ran absolutely perfectly on the PSP when I tried it years ago. Made a customised EBOOT for it with an XMB video, music and everything which was pretty cool.

graywolf323

SCEA are idiots because this action affected us European players as well.

it is odd that SCEU allowed Breath of Fire III and Tales of Eternia yet Suikoden I & II didn't get released

then again maybe Capcom and Namco thought it was worth it and well Konami is dumb

SCEA's problem wasn't with the games being 2D, but rather them being straight ports. They wanted additional content, which is why the Megaman Legends PSP ports also got blocked.

So again we're back to "Konami is too lazy to make marginal improvements to re-release the game."

Valkyrie profile re-recorded some cutscenes. Breath of fire recolored a dude. Konami can't be bothered.

Why is Valkyrie Profile 2 not on PSN?

Good question. That's a damn good game. maybe some issues with the emulation? That was one of the only 480p games on the system- maybe it pulled some unorthodox tricks to get there.

SCEA's problem wasn't with the games being 2D, but rather them being straight ports. They wanted additional content, which is why the Megaman Legends PSP ports also got blocked.

What ???

But why was the Powerstone collection ok ?

Sony !!! *shakes fist*

Top Bottom