• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Suikoden 2 on PSN?

MCD

Sorry to break y'all's hearts.

I'm the guy who struggled with two of my compatriots (Casey Loe and Jeremy Blaustein) to make some sense of the mess that was Suikoden II's script—in the format Konami delivered it. I had already played the game for 90+ hours, and was confused.

We were delivered the script among code, with no indication as to who was speaking. Text was bunched together based on location. The solution? Play the game multiple times, searching as we did so for strings to gather context.

We did our best.

In any case, Murayama's departure from Konami was a grievous incident. We were actually provided with his personal cyclopedia and log of Genso Suikoden's world... it rivaled the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros and beyond in complexity.

But Murayama resigned from Konami. They tinkered around—GSIV, distant prequel, GSV, distant (geographical) sequel, hoping he might come back.

He didn't.

Hence the DS and PSP games.

Oh god

this hurt

Murayama why :(

Niahak

I'm the guy who struggled with two of my compatriots (Casey Loe and Jeremy Blaustein) to make some sense of the mess that was Suikoden II's script—in the format Konami delivered it. I had already played the game for 90+ hours, and was confused.

We were delivered the script among code, with no indication as to who was speaking. Text was bunched together based on location. The solution? Play the game multiple times, searching as we did so for strings to gather context.

We did our best.

In any case, Murayama's departure from Konami was a grievous incident. We were actually provided with his personal cyclopedia and log of Genso Suikoden's world... it rivaled the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros and beyond in complexity.

But Murayama resigned from Konami. They tinkered around—GSIV, distant prequel, GSV, distant (geographical) sequel, hoping he might come back.

He didn't.

Thanks for your work on Suikoden II. It's still one of my favorite games. Haven't seen the original script, but the translation comes across pretty well with only a couple unimportant hiccups. I've heard about the constraints you guys were under and I'm amazed you were able to put together a product that was so consistent in tone/feeling.

I was pretty happy with Suikoden V, despite how derivative certain parts are. I'm curious how consistent with Murayama's original vision it was, but I'm not sure it matters too much -- it captured the feeling of Suikoden pretty well.

Xelinis

I too am curious: how consistent was Suikoden V with Murayama's vision?

Eusis

I'm having trouble finding my original source from awhile ago, so if this information is incorrect I apologize and I'm going off of memory (maybe someone who is better at the Internet than I knows where to find the facts). And this information I believe only applies to the US PSN, other countries probably vary.

What I had read was that when games are put on PSN they have to be evaluated to make sure they meet certain requirements. If they are PS1 games they must be submitted as is. When BoF3 was reviewed for PSN release it was deemed that it was deserving of a Mature rating as opposed to the Teen rating it had originally received. Supposedly, this is because of a scene or two featuring full rear nudity (been awhile since I've played it). So you'd think they bump up the rating, call it good and sell it right? Wrong. I guess part of the rules is they can't alter the rating or content. Oh, and according to what I had read you can only submit your game once, there's no second chances. I had read this awhile ago, maybe rules will change someday. Either way, here's hoping we see BoF3 on PSN someday.

Edit: I really wish I remember where I read what I posted above. A little more digging directed me to a forum post on Capcom's forums from Christian Svensson responding to someone asking why BoF3 wasn't released on PSN: Still, dumb, stupid requirements that Nintendo wouldn't bother with once they dropped the censor happy ways IS historically my biggest problem with Sony.

Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...96581/sven_bof_3_and_4_cleared_IP_or_not?pg=6
There was a picture where a significant boss had been colored like Ultraman originally, but we recolored for the PSP port. That alone is the kind of thing that'd probably damn it, even in the US they probably wouldn't want to run the risk of a new release keeping that, and it sounds like whether or not the rating thing's true (gotta dig through some of those PSN games as I'm sure at least one or two rating drifted) the other stuff sounds like what we heard. They HAVE to lighten up there because there's all sorts of stupid shit that was done then that they couldn't (or don't think they can) get away with now, and better to have a single recolored enemy or replaced textures than not having the game at all.

The rating thing would be absolute madness though, like someone there seriously did not understand that ESRB's matured since then and there's a lot of E or T games that'd be higher now. Nevermind the invention of a whole new one (E10+.)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hey Nick! I thought it was you and Casey that had a hand in the translation but hearing the details always makes it sound like it was a nightmare to work on. Thanks for sharing.

randomkid

We did our best.

Is it true you guys only had two weeks or is that rumor an exaggeration?

Galamauth

Thanks so much for your insight. I'll never stop dreaming about the expanded world Murayama intended us to see and it's become like the Atlantis/Shangri-La/El Dorado of games to me.

Hope to see Suikoden II re-released in some form so I can stop having to set up emulators for my friends.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

We did our best.
Holy shit. That sounds like an absolute nightmare. Considering this information, I can safely say that the Suikoden II translation was a phenomenal effort. Thanks for your hard work. Personally I never noticed any significant problems with it, maybe a few minor issues but that's it, nothing to really complain about. So... great work!

Edit: oh you're Nick Rox? Cool.

We did our best.

He didn't.

Yup.

I remember you guys talking about it on a podcast.

What podcast? Oh but WAHP. I remember that podcast. I wonder what happened to it *sobs*

J_Ark

We did our best.

He didn't.

Thanks for making me possible to understand my favourite game of all time.

I wonder after reading your post if we should address to Murayama instead of Konami. The cyclopedia rivaling the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros is pretty painful. Dozens of incredible Suikoden games cast into oblivion... It's so hard for us, Suikofans... :'(

Eusis

Murayama you broke my heart.
He may not have really wanted to work under Konami though, so we don't know the whole story there.

Probably would've been good though that if they were going to do a new world they could've at least tried to build it up the same way the original series was, rather than new worlds each time or whatever. Not that it mattered much since we didn't get the second PSP game and it wasn't well regarded anyway.

Murayama you broke my heart.

Agreed. It would have been easier if there had been no 3 and gaidens to set so many additional plotlines in motion.

Maybe someday he can do something like Tear Ring Saga (without the lawsuit) and make a spiritual sequel with the serial number filed off.

It is sad that it seems Murayama has no interest in coming back to the series currently, but as I said before, the series doesn't need him to continue.

Suikoden V was great. They could continue to make great Suikoden games, sadly, they aren't doing that. :/

Syril

We did our best.

He didn't.

First of all, thank you so much for all your efforts. Suikoden II is one of my favorite RPGs ever and I never thought any of the little mistakes hurt the game in a significant way.

Second, holy shit, there's a giant encyclopedia of the Suikoden world? And it's just lying around at Konami somewhere, probably the company who cares the least about any of their older games. At least Capcom cares enough about that kind of stuff to put it into their Complete Works books.

ramuh

I would fucking BUY an official Murayama Skimped encyclopedia for 100 bucks.

I would enjoy this as well. Well, maybe not the 100 bucks part. There has been many times I've wanted to start playing throughout the series (1-5, tactics) and pull information about things they hint at. It's like there is still so much mystery in the Suikoverse to explore.

ta9qi

Thank you Aokage and the rest who translated the game, your work was truly remarkable, with all the chaos in the original script you bring us one of the best JRPG off all time
very sad about Murayama refusing to return back...always thought konami was the reason behind this :(
even though who worked on suikoden 5 ? it was my first and best game in the series..i wish it continue in this way

Erekiddo

After being an ignored EarthBound fan for years, it really irks me that companies choose radio silence rather than making a statement.

Communication has changed. Fan groups put way more effort into campaign rallies and collaborations - some of which rival the games marketing campaign itself.

It seems silly a company chooses silence rather than put together a small statement stating "no". Doing the former just creates a hostile fanbase that are quick to say, in this case, 'Konami sucks'.

I'm not expecting every company to bend to every game inquiry, but when there's been years of clamoring, stop being stubborn.

Paertan

We did our best.
You made it possible for me to play the best game I ever played. Your work is very much appreciated!!

OmegaDL50

This makes me think back on the time Murayama brought up that reference of crossing the Rubicon

The possibilities of what could be. It really makes me wonder.

Recall

We did our best.

He didn't.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts like this should be saved even for just when the same topic rears its head again or just for knowledge sake.

Arthea

It is sad that it seems Murayama has no interest in coming back to the series currently, but as I said before, the series doesn't need him to continue.

Suikoden V was great. They could continue to make great Suikoden games, sadly, they aren't doing that. :/

Even if I would like Murayama working on series again, I have to agree that V was great as a Suikoden game, it had technical issues though, loading times and such. I even liked 4, actually, so they could make a good Suikoden games, they just chose not to.

We did our best.

He didn't.

This post and thread really needs to be in the NEOGAF "best of."

rarely do we get such a clear and concise explanation from the source as to why One of GAF's favorite games turned out the way it did, and I'd hate for this to be just "lost" to the forum ether.

what do we do here, PM a mod?

I knew there must have been some kind of outline of the story and the numerous plot points they set up. Agreed on wanting to buy the encyclopedia at a high price, if only to have some closure on things (even though I'm sure just reading about all the awesome stuff Murayama had planned and never being able to play it will be depressing).

Paracelsus

Technically once you have the lore and the scenario by the original author it's not that hard to put a game together.

Quite frankly, considering the amount of programmers, pixel and sprite artists we have, it wouldn't be that hard to pull a Pier Solar better than PS itself and make a proper relevant Suikoden 4 (or 6, depends on how much you care about those later PS2 entries) making it look exactly like Suikoden 2 but with all the updates fitting of this era.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I'm glad I was able to shed light on some things. Hey, Genso Suikoden II is my favorite JRPG of all time—I have a vested interest ;)

If it were within my legal rights to share Murayama-san's personal Gensuiverse cyclopedia, I would. It went so far beyond the landmasses explored in I, II, Suikogaiden and III... truly a bible for a stunningly complex fantasy world.

What I can say is that IV and V were faithfully based on it. In fact, IV and V carefully skirted the lines of the overarching storyline left hanging at the end of III, and I personally believe this was because Murayama's former compatriots (Junko Kawano especially) hoped he would eventually return to complete his singular vision.

I see little chance for that now, alas.

Taruranto

I have to say, It's kinda weird to see that Konami technically still cared for Suikoden, since they made the offer to Murayama and all.

I'm glad I was able to shed light on some things. Hey, Genso Suikoden II is my favorite JRPG of all time—I have a vested interest ;)

If it were within my legal rights to share Murayama-san's personal Gensuiverse cyclopedia, I would. It went so far beyond the landmasses explored in I, II, Suikogaiden and III... truly a bible for a stunningly complex fantasy world.

What I can say is that IV and V were faithfully based on it. In fact, IV and V carefully skirted the lines of the overarching storyline left hanging at the end of III, and I personally believe this was because Murayama's former compatriots (Junko Kawano especially) hoped he would eventually return to complete his singular vision.

But does it contain all the answers? Like what's up with the Sindar, Harmonia, Jeane and Vicky, etc?

Man, such a tease. :(

maltrain

I read Aokage post... can you explain me why then Suikoden won't ever be on PSN?

I'm a bit lost (maybe is because I don't speak english natively and I'm lost in some words?).

I understand it was a hard work (and I'm VERY pleased because this is one of my TOP 3 games of all time) but... the job is done already, right?

I don't care if Konami need to remove or change some things... I only want the game on my Vita or PS3... or Play Now even... :(

J_Ark

Murayama-san made that decision :/

It was a joke ;)

Thanks for all the answers. I hope there's still a chance Murayama returning to the saga. The bible refered by Aokage is the proof of his love for the world he created. I really think we should focus on showing our Suiko-support to Murayama instead of Konami.

Xelinis

But does it contain all the answers? Like what's up with the Sindar, Harmonia, Jeane and Vicky, etc?

The Sindar are not hard to figure out. Considering Murayama's affinity for Michael Moorcock's work, their Eternal City is likely based on Tanelorn, whose nature is to is to appear and disappear both in place and time throughout the multiverse, as it sees fit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn

Everything else is still a mystery to me. :-/

(Though, I like to think that Viki has an important role in the Eternal City subplot.)

He didn't.

Whoa, how'd I miss this post?

So, Murayama basically handed over his whole plan for the series, but we'll never see it.

Tierkreis indeed.

Necrovex

What if someone walked into your home, "stole" your cyclopedia, and decided to upload it onto the internet? No one could blame you for that. :p

Top Bottom