• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why isn't Suikoden 2 on PSN?

hiro_x

Suikoden 2... one of the reasons why I bought a vita, hoping that one day it will come to psn and let me play it on the go.

I am still hoping.

The civilization of Sindar has decided to not tell the story of Genso Suikoden anymore. They made a deal with Konami and disappeared.

Hikusaak, Harmonia... Kanakan.... The Howling Voice Guild and the other True Runes

The finale of the duel of Yuber and Pesmerga.

I won't be able to see you... snifff...
SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

But seriously, to think of all the different places the story could have gone and what nations/countries we could have visited....man.

We'll never find out the truth about Jeane either :(

SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

But seriously, to think of all the different places the story could have gone and what nations/countries we could have visited....man.

We'll never find out the truth about Jeane either :(
Suikoden will never die.

Leknaat is waiting to tell us another tale of fate vs. free will.

Eusis

Nah, even when Sega finally let NISA localise Sakura Wars, there were still a lot of games they had no interest in letting anyone else touch.

And while developer bottlenecks are a decent excuse, there are some localisers (like Vic) who have the staff to localise games entirely by themselves. At that point I don't think there's any real excuse outside of simply not giving a shit.
Well, when I said Sega used to be better about this I meant even further back, by the time Sakura Wars was picked up that was the exception rather than the norm. But they licensed out other games during their earlier years of being a third party, and while they were a first party did license out games, most of WD's Saturn games were Sega titles as I recall and pretty sure Popful Mail was Sega developed even if the IP's Falcom's.

Well, when I said Sega used to be better about this I meant even further back, by the time Sakura Wars was picked up that was the exception rather than the norm. But they licensed out other games during their earlier years of being a third party, and while they were a first party did license out games, most of WD's Saturn games were Sega titles as I recall and pretty sure Popful Mail was Sega developed even if the IP's Falcom's.

Oh ok, I didn't know you were going that far back.

Wereroku

Popful Mail is a Sega Falcom game but it was the only collaboration they ever had. As to working designs only 5 of their 29 games were sega developed. They were Magic Knight Rayearth, Sega Ages, Shining Wisdom, Dragon Force, and Popful Mail. So i don't think Sega was ever too friendly with letting other people handle their stuff.

Rambone

The melody and lyrics are soooo touching, quite related to consequences of war, a central theme of the series.

Suikoden 1+2 IMO OST was spectacular, even the misc Suikoden CD's featuring enhanced music from the series were breathtaking. Suikoden 1+2 has to be up there in the Top 5 RPG sound tracks, at least in my mind. The music was one of the many highlights to those games that I sincerely enjoyed.

Rambone

Suikoden 1+2 IMO OST was spectacular, even the misc Suikoden CD's featuring enhanced music from the series were breathtaking. Suikoden 1+2 has to be up there in the Top 5 RPG sound tracks, at least in my mind. The music was one of the many highlights to those games that I sincerely enjoyed.

Apologizing for quoting myself here but for those that are interested in the various Suikoden music collections out there, here is an entire list of whats available. I've listened to them all and they will leave any Suikoden fan+music fan very very happy.

http://www.squareenixmusic.com/series/suikoden/discography.shtml

Tarahiro

I would buy Suikoden 2 straight away if it ever went on PSN. I'd probably buy a Vita too if it was compatible so i'd be able to play it whenever I want.

I had the chance to buy Suikoden 2 a long time ago. I was in town shopping and went into a game shop. I had enough money to buy 1 game so I spent a while looking at them all. I saw Suikoden 2....but then I saw Vandal Hearts 2. I chose VH, as I had played the first game and loved it. Since I could only afford 1 game, I decided to go with the one I was already familiar with. Vandal Hearts 2 came with a demo of Suikoden 2 in the box. I played the demo and then whenever I went near a video game shop I always went in to see if I could find Suikoden. Never saw it again, but saw Vandal Hearts 2 on the shelves plenty of times. Kind of wish I could send a message to young me saying 'get Suikoden 2 now and Vandal Hearts next time...' ah well.

Maybe one day i'll get to play it! :D

J_Ark

Agree with that. Higashino music was superb and will always be attached to the brand.

Wereroku

As one who has never played the series, is the first game good enough to warrant playing at this point?

Suikoden 1 is great and still an enjoyable experience. However it is a shorter game and involves a little bit of grinding. Also if you want to 100% it without replaying it you need to read a guide because some points require alot of grinding early on to meet specific scenarios.

Suikoden 1 is great and still an enjoyable experience. However it is a shorter game and involves a little bit of grinding. Also if you want to 100% it without replaying it you need to read a guide because some points require alot of grinding early on to meet specific scenarios.

Cool. I loved the old Lunar games, and have been itching for an old school ps1 rpg that isn't Final Fantasy to play.

Wereroku

Cool. I loved the old Lunar games, and have been itching for an old school ps1 rpg that isn't Final Fantasy to play.

I am sure you will like it and the save transfers over if they ever release 2. However it is one of the most unbalanced games ever. There are 108 characters and some are just garbage. Also some runes are crazy overpowered and sadly you have to equip a specific rune to be able to run which is just silly.

I'm positive Konami knows that Suikoden II is one of the most popular/hard to find games in their library.

Given that this is the same company that absolutely murdered Beatmania for US consumption (by removing everything that made IIDX great and introducing a bunch of garbage nobody wanted), one cannot be so sure!

linkboy

I lucked into my copy of Suikoden II a few years ago, when someone traded it in to the Play N Trade in town. $80 in store credit and it was mine.

First thing I did was to convert the game to run on my PSP and that's how I play it (but that's how I play all of my PS1 games, either my PSP or my Vita for PSN released games).

The day I can play Suikoden II on my Vita (either by the system being hacked or legit) will be a great day.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Being a resident of fairy dreamland I know its because Konami i getting ready to release a Suikoden collection like the MGS collection for PS3 and 360. Its why 3/4/5 aren't up in the PS2 classics yet. Right?

RIGHT?

J_Ark

I don't remember any grinding moments on the first one. There are some missable stars, so a spoiler free guide would be recommended if you want to do only one run. The game is short, about 15~20 hours.

Jarnet87

They also haven't put Vandal Hearts on PSN.

Were never getting Suikoden 2 or Vandal Hearts, but we can continue to dream.

Wereroku

I don't remember any grinding moments on the first one. There are some missable stars, so a spoiler free guide would be recommended if you want to do only one run. The game is short, about 15~20 hours.

What I was mostly referring to was
Pahn surviving the fight with the main chars father which required quite a bit of early grinding for Pahn.
Otherwise it is a fairly good game with a decent amount of encounters and a good pace.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Do Americans and Europeans hold Suikoden in a higher regard than the Japanese? It just always seems like there's a crazy dedication to it here but I wonder how strong it is there. I heard I+II PSP sold like 5 digits.

Xevren

They also haven't put Vandal Hearts on PSN.

Were never getting Suikoden 2 or Vandal Hearts, but we can continue to dream.

Yeah, would love them both but at this point I doubt we'll get either.

Those blood fountains in Vandal Hearts were so good.

J_Ark

Yeah, would love them both but at this point I doubt we'll get either.

Those blood fountains in Vandal Hearts were so good.

What I was mostly referring to was
Pahn surviving the fight with the main chars father which required quite a bit of early grinding for Pahn.
Otherwise it is a fairly good game with a decent amount of encounters and a good pace.
Wops, I forgot. Yes, if you don't use Pahn normally the combat is a pain in the ass (it is anyways xD).

So, if it's strictly a "cost benefit" issue- why was Suikoden 1 which sold less and doesn't have half the demand available as a PS1 classic, while 2 is missing?

The only viable explanation (and cost to benefit does not make sense here) is that they're prevented from simply re-releasing it as a classic due to a problem- and a problem that doesn't exist for suikoden 1. That immediately rules out licensing or creative issues, as was the case with the marvel games. It's also not an issue with voice actors or music, (silent hill ran into this) as suiko 2 HAS no voice acting or music with vocals. hell, some of the sound that SHOULD be there *isn't*, because of bugs.

I don't understand why they don't release it as is? I played the ps1 version when it came out of sk2 (mad I sold it in 2001 errrr damn rent ) .

The fact that untranslated ps1 games from japan go on psn weekly makes it even worse. I can put up with a few misspellings or such, I won't buy a game not in my language and with no subtitles either.

I have been waiting for this and crisis core from se to release on psn for over 5 years now... My first post on neogaf, and a topic dear to my heart.

B.K.

As one who has never played the series, is the first game good enough to warrant playing at this point?

Yes. It's short, but it's still good. You really want to play it if you're going to play 2. The first two games are tied together a lot more than the rest of the series.

Konami has an excuse for Suikoden II, I'm sure it's sound too (re: bugs and localization errors).

But what excuse do they have for putting a hard brake on all TurboGrafx-16 Wii Virtual Console releases? 3DS VC releases? PSN releases?

MrDaravon

Konami has an excuse for Suikoden II, I'm sure it's sound too (re: bugs and localization errors).

But what excuse do they have for putting a hard brake on all TurboGrafx-16 Wii Virtual Console releases? 3DS VC releases? PSN releases?

IIRC aren't VC releases entirely at Nintendo's discretion? I could be wrong, but for some reason I thought that publishers basically just licensed the VC titles to Nintendo, and Nintendo made the calls on actually putting stuff out. Or that maybe was something early on that got changed.

IIRC aren't VC releases entirely at Nintendo's discretion? I could be wrong, but for some reason I thought that publishers basically just licensed the VC titles to Nintendo, and Nintendo made the calls on actually putting stuff out. Or that maybe was something early on that got changed.
I think Nintendo schedules release slots, but it's up to the individual publishers to step up to the plate and say "we want to release this."

Hudson was very aggressive in supported Virtual Console (and started on PSN right before.. "it" happened).

OmegaDL50

Ah Suikoden, one of my most beloved RPG franchises of all time.

I had a basement flood due to poor weather and a large majority of my PSX and earlier game collection back in 2002 that was in storage in the basement no less was destroyed due to water related damage.

It was terrible. So terrible.

I would so love to play Suikoden 2 again.

I've took a look over a Ebay and noticed most Suikoden 1 copies are $35 to $40 which seems fair, I'd figure the existence of the digital PSN release curbs the price from getting too out of control.

And yet every single copy of Suikoden 2 is over $100, I wonder what a PSN re-release would do to the pricing of this physical copies, regardless of their collectors value.

From various interviews I've read about (particularly Japanese) game companies, you would be shocked at how many examples there are where they've lost either the source code or the original assets to their classic games. My favorite example is when Capcom shut down Clover Studos and then lost most of the hard drives, including the original source code for Okami. Okami for Wii had to have a lot of it rebuilt from scratch. Which is one of the reasons the American cover had the embarrassing IGN watermark in the background -- they didn't have any original assets to work with.

Konami THEMSELVES lost or misplaced the (finished) source code to silent hill 2, which is half the reason why that port was as terrible as it was. I don't have a ton of faith that Suiko 2 is intact.

Konami lost the complete source code for Silent Hill 2 and 3, leaving the team behind the Silent Hill HD Collection to work with unfinished versions of the games.

Senior associate producer Tomm Hulett revealed the unfortunate loss for a 1UP feature on HD remasters.

“We got all the source code that Konami had on file – which it turns out wasn’t the final release version of the games,” he said.

“So during debug we didn’t just have to deal with the expected ‘porting’ bugs, but also had to squash some bugs that the original team obviously removed prior to release, but we’d never seen before.”

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/28/silent-hill-hd-collection-ported-from-incomplete-code/

Now I'm worried for the code of Suikoden 3 xDDDDD

Let's be honest here. If the source code for silent hill 2 and 3, which sold a bazillion more copies than all suikodens combined was "lost", you're pretty much out of luck hoping for suikoden.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more evidence there is that Konami is just incompetent here.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I remember buying a used copy of Suikoden II about 8 years ago for 70 dollars. And I never regretted it. One of the best RPGs I have ever played and I would buy it in a second if it was available on PSN.

Eusis

Let's be honest here. If the source code for silent hill 2 and 3, which sold a bazillion more copies than all suikodens combined was "lost", you're pretty much out of luck hoping for suikoden.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more evidence there is that Konami is just incompetent here.
So many damn Japanese companies have seemingly done this that I'm singling none of them out for it. Better to find ones that actually were good with this stuff.

Though I think that matters more for a PSN release due to editting and that'd be a moot point if Sony doesn't allow that anyway. The game straight up, just get a loose copy and rip it. Not as if all those CFW people either stole/borrowed masters from companies or were wizards conjuring them up out of nowhere.

What's the story with that? Breath of Fire IV is up there.

And no, I don't think it's simply the coloring of one monster, regardless if it was changed for the PSP port.

I'm having trouble finding my original source from awhile ago, so if this information is incorrect I apologize and I'm going off of memory (maybe someone who is better at the Internet than I knows where to find the facts). And this information I believe only applies to the US PSN, other countries probably vary.

What I had read was that when games are put on PSN they have to be evaluated to make sure they meet certain requirements. If they are PS1 games they must be submitted as is. When BoF3 was reviewed for PSN release it was deemed that it was deserving of a Mature rating as opposed to the Teen rating it had originally received. Supposedly, this is because of a scene or two featuring full rear nudity (been awhile since I've played it). So you'd think they bump up the rating, call it good and sell it right? Wrong. I guess part of the rules is they can't alter the rating or content. Oh, and according to what I had read you can only submit your game once, there's no second chances. I had read this awhile ago, maybe rules will change someday. Either way, here's hoping we see BoF3 on PSN someday.

Edit: I really wish I remember where I read what I posted above. A little more digging directed me to a forum post on Capcom's forums from Christian Svensson responding to someone asking why BoF3 wasn't released on PSN:

Guys, I don't get sent a list of issues by the IP legal review team in Japan so the exact reasons I couldn't tell you.

If it doesn't clear, it doesn't clear. There's some sort of legal exposure to us either from potential risk to someone else's IP or there are lapsed or non-covered middleware, voice work or soundtrack contracts.

No, you can't just "pull these things out" and resubmit. There is no provision for new development in the PS1 re-release program. One needs to submit the ROM exactly as it was released.

Trust me when I tell you, we'd love to make you happy and for my business purposes, I'd love to have the revenue.

We aren't holding these things back just to upset you.

Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...96581/sven_bof_3_and_4_cleared_IP_or_not?pg=6

Tiu Neo

Is there anyone from Sony, on twitter, that we can pester about PS1 and PS2 Classics releases? Like "Third party classic games public relationship person"?

There are so many good games that still don't have PS1 Classics versions. Suikoden II, BoF3, Megaman Legends 1 and 2, Tron Bonne, the PS2 Wild Arms (that were published by Sony!), Persona 4 (for the people who can't play Golden)...

They need to fix that.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Sorry to break y'all's hearts.

I'm the guy who struggled with two of my compatriots (Casey Loe and Jeremy Blaustein) to make some sense of the mess that was Suikoden II's script—in the format Konami delivered it. I had already played the game for 90+ hours, and was confused.

We were delivered the script among code, with no indication as to who was speaking. Text was bunched together based on location. The solution? Play the game multiple times, searching as we did so for strings to gather context.

We did our best.

In any case, Murayama's departure from Konami was a grievous incident. We were actually provided with his personal cyclopedia and log of Genso Suikoden's world... it rivaled the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros and beyond in complexity.

But Murayama resigned from Konami. They tinkered around—GSIV, distant prequel, GSV, distant (geographical) sequel, hoping he might come back.

He didn't.

Hence the DS and PSP games.

Top Bottom