• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Why not Texit?" -- Texas nationalists look to the Brexit vote for inspiration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/19/texas-secession-movement-brexit-eu-referendum

How closely is Daniel Miller tracking the news ahead of the referendum about whether Britain should leave the European Union? “Hourly!” he grins. The Sun’s recent editorial calling for the UK’s departure got him quite excited.

Miller, though, is not from London or Liverpool. He hails from Longview, Texas, and we are talking in a cafe in the bleakly industrial Gulf coast town of Port Arthur, some 5,000 miles from Westminster.

Culturally, too, we are a long way from Europe. Heck, we are even a long way from Dallas. But the referendum matters deeply to Miller and like-minded Texans. As the president of the Texas Nationalist Movement, which wants Texas to secede from the United States, he is hoping for a Leave vote that he believes will ripple all the way from Austria to Austin.

“There are a lot of people asking, if Brexit why not Texit?” he says. “I do talk with some folks over there on a pretty regular basis that are involved in Ukip and the Conservative party.”

Added to the near-miss of Scottish independence in 2014, a vote for Brexit on 23 June, Miller tells me, “only helps our case because there is a concrete first world example of a modern democracy having a legitimate and public debate where the people of a country, not the political class, get to vote on how they govern themselves and that will resonate not just through Europe but here as well”.

The arguments are fundamentally identical, he insists. “You could take ‘Britain’ out and replace it with ‘Texas’. You could take ‘EU’ out and replace it with ‘US’. You could take ‘Brussels’ out and replace it with ‘Washington DC’. You could give you guys a nice Texas drawl and no one would know any different. So much of it is exactly the same.”

The current body calling itself the Republic of Texas believes that Texas never actually ceded its sovereignty to the United States when it joined the union (some prefer the term annexed) in 1845. “The great deception can be undone – stay tuned,” their website states. They run a parallel system of government, with Republic of Texas identity cards and coins.

The TNM, meanwhile, seeks secession through political avenues and calls for the people of Texas to decide via a referendum. Miller claims that the group has 260,000 supporters. It has fans in Russia among mischief-makers who would relish the break-up of the United States.

It also has advocates in the Texas Republican party, even though removing one of the biggest and most reliably red states from the US would make it far easier for the Democrats to win presidential elections.

Shortly after Obama’s re-election, the White House was forced to respond to a Texit petition that garnered more than 125,000 votes. The answer was no.

Another petition drive last year to put the matter to a non-binding vote did not gather enough signatures, but secession was debated at the party convention in Dallas last month, a notable moment even though it narrowly failed to make it to a floor vote.

Jeff Sadighi, a TNM backer, wants “Texas solutions” on hot-button issues such as gun rights, marriage equality and, perhaps above all, immigration and border control. “The bottom line is, the federal government due to their legal structures can only offer one size fits all solutions,” the 54-year-old says. “People in Massachusetts aren’t going to approach challenges the same way we are.”

What would the country of Texas be like? “I don’t think we’ll have checkpoints at the border with Louisiana,” Miller deadpans. “Trump may have to move his wall a little further north.”

Well, the real answer is because the Constitution doesn't let you do this.

It would probably be great for the rest of the US if they actually did this though.

Burt

I hope the White House's response to that petition was literally just "No."

Maybe with a "Sincerely, B. Hussein Obama" at the bottom.

Golly I wonder what Jeff Sadighi's position on marriage equality could be, surely he'd believe the government has no business in the private affairs of citizens because otherwise that'd make him a bigoted hypocrite!

gogojira

Leave it to my dumbass state to push forward with this. I see way more secede bumper stickers than I ever should. Not that it would ever happen, but I swear to shit that would be the last excuse I need to ditch this fucker.

Hahahaha, nope!

Gee, if only there was historic reference point of some kind of trying to split off parts of the USA or something and it's aftermath.

my6765490

What's funny is, a secession would lead to a lot more mexican influence, which I can bet he or his party doesn't want..

Archer

giphy.gif

WedgeX

Banned
Don't they realize just how awful their state government is?

Or the elected representatives they send to Washington?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
They can't leave but Texas does have the weird power of imploding itself and becoming up to 5 separate new states whenever it wants.

...and given what Scotland and N. Ireland and Gibraltar are considering...

Yeah, I guess they could kinda do a Texit.

Don't they realize just how awful their state government is?

Or the elected representatives they send to Washington?
No, cause they're to worried about the dirty Mexicans taking their jobs that they don't even do. Oh and guns and abortion....how to fuck up text books....list kinda just goes on and on with that state.

watershed

Banned
Let them go. Texas would be a wasteland in 9 months or less. Just let sensible people leave the state before they officially secede.

KevinCow

Banned
Let them go.

Let Texas turn into its own little Republican/Tea Party "paradise" that all the American conservatives can move to to get away from us horrible libruls. Then the US would actually be able to get shit done and make progress, and we could all laugh as Texas completely implodes.

Fathead

They can't leave but Texas does have the weird power of imploding itself and becoming up to 5 separate new states whenever it wants.

...and given what Scotland and N. Ireland and Gibraltar are considering...

Yeah, I guess they could kinda do a Texit.

They can't split without the consent of Congress. Just like any other state.

Let them go.

Let Texas turn into its own little Republican/Tea Party "paradise" that all the American conservatives can move to to get away from us horrible libruls. Then the US would actually be able to get shit done and make progress, and we could all laugh as Texas completely implodes.
Joking aside..kinda
Texas is actually quite important to the US.

Secessionist movements boil up every few years in various parts of the country. Nothing will happen and precedent has been set on what it takes for a state to leave.

Just opportunists trying to make the news cycle.

Pastry

Banned
No one other than a handful of loons in Texas wants to leave. Like seriously, they probably make up .00001% of the state.

Yes we're proud of being Texan but most of the state also has a huge fucking boner for the US.

Tigress

And why do we want to keep them? They keep giving us crazy politicians and control what goes in out textbooks. Let them secede and take their damned politicians with them.

Mumei

Aside from the fact that they can't go, why would we want to lose $1.65 trillion from the economy? If it's political, just wait.

I don't feel like the Civil War was a light thing.

The aftermath, not the war itself. Though I remember reading that the Union Army didn't make much headway into Texas itself until fairly late.

Burt

Let them go.

It'd be a lot more efficient if Kansas just had better advertising

And wasn't a fucking wasteland from a few years of Republican/Tea Party "paradise"

And why do we want to keep them? They keep giving us crazy politicians and control what goes in out textbooks. Let them secede and take their damned politicians with them.

I would be very frightened for the fate of my LGBT+ and immigrant friends to say the least.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No one other than a handful of loons in Texas wants to leave.

Yes we're proud of being Texan but most of the state also has a huge fucking boner for the US.

Yeah, I want to make sure we're clear about this. Nobody in Texas actually wants this.

kswiston

I would be very frightened for the fate of my LGBT+ and immigrant friends to say the least.

Texas isn't even majority white anymore without the Hispanic population. I think what these guys think their new country would be after secession and what it would actually be would be two different things.

besada

Banned
Texas isn't going to secede. It's a dumb thing Texas politicians bandy around when they're cranky about the federal government, and the fevered dream of a bunch of pig ignorant white nationalists who keep calling themselves Republic of Texas, even though every group that does winds up in jail or in a losing firefight.

Texas and the rest of the country are too tightly wound together, culturally, politically, and economically to ever break apart. And no one but a fringe of whiny assholes on both sides of the border wants it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom