• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why the fuck does so many people like Dane Cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHakku

Oh boy. I sure love barely hearing reused jokes over eleven-year-old girls screaming constantly for two hours. "Vicious Circle" is probably the worst stand-up event I've ever not finished seeing.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Who? Oh wait that's the guy from one of recent episodes of Louie. Didn't know he's real.
As for the link... not funneh.

dane is a comic who doesn't put a lot of negativity or emotion into his comedy, and that's why he's as popular as he is (or was). for a lot of twenty-somethings now, his comedy central specials were kind of looking up to a funny big brother they wanted to have.

a lot of people like to laugh about things that aren't particularly deep or emotional, they just want to see someone who has a lot of charisma and can make them laugh without feeling bad about themselves.

i'm listening to his WTF right now, pretty good episode so far. http://www.prx.org/pieces/63071-wtf-episode-110-dane-cook-janeane-garofalo

blame space said:
dane is a comic who doesn't put a lot of negativity or emotion into his comedy, and that's why he's as popular as he is (or was).

for a lot of twenty-somethings now, his comedy central specials were kind of looking up to a funny big brother they wanted to have.

i'm listening to his WTF right now, pretty good episode so far. http://www.prx.org/pieces/63071-wtf-episode-110-dane-cook-janeane-garofalo
good summary, actually. and a lot of his material was easy to relate to but came with a funny twist that's easy to imagine. that's why his HBO special worked well.

blame space said:
dane is a comic who doesn't put a lot of negativity or emotion into his comedy, and that's why he's as popular as he is (or was). for a lot of twenty-somethings now, his comedy central specials were kind of looking up to a funny big brother they wanted to have.

a lot of people like to laugh about things that aren't particularly deep or emotional, they just want to see someone who has a lot of charisma and can make them laugh without feeling bad about themselves.

Kinda stole much of what I was going to say.

He's like the college big brother that's funny and a fantastic story teller. You'd probably get sick of him if you lived with him but he only comes home for the holidays and that's that.

I honestly don't get the hate even though I'm not a huge fan either. He gets way more hate than he deserves IMO.

Clydefrog said:
My ex-GF really liked his standup. She even burned me a couple CDs so I could listen to him in the car. Those CDs literally sat in my car untouched for months. She kept asking me, "have you listened to them yet?" Oh, sorry! I forgot! But they're in my car!

I miss her dearly though.

Nearly the same thing here. Replace "burn CDs" with "ripped and copied to my laptop". Every now and then when we'd be talking she'd reference a routine and asked if I listened to it.

I don't really miss her though, she was a bit crazy. Probably the only ex-GF I still talk to occasionally though.

blame space said:

Interesting episode. Yea I gained a lot more respect for him with that.

Being a comedian must be a pain - especially this day in age where all the negativity is easily viewed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
He is reasonably amusing. Or at least, the hatred for him is precisely as disproportionate as the love for Chik Fil A.

I've been thinking and I might know why a lot of us don't find him funny:

He's a good looking straight white male with the general and majority view on life. He has nothing going against him that he can make fun of, and yes you can be funny even if you're like that but let me explain.

Dane Cook doesn't bring any funny new perspective to things, he rambles on about something we all know too well in a way that it being brought up doesn't register any excitement or any realization, its just a retelling of the same old thing so therefor its boring. Its funny to hear a black guy talk about it not being easy to get a cab in new york city and bring up creative ideas about how he's being back in funny ways, but it still relies on the execution. Dane's concepts are the norm and are general knowledge or thought, so he needs to be an excellent comedian to twist it in a way where it seems funny, so these concepts rely a lot more on execution than others, and since Dane lacks any real comedic ability he tries to make up for it with his spastick movements and surprise physical comedy. He doesn't have any real comedic timing or the ability to deliver a punchline.

But to his fans, he's more or less speaking the truth, which they find funny just because it may agree with their world view, and since this is the majority way of looking at things that might be another reason why he has a big audience.

There's more to it I'm sure, but I'm not really in the mood to watch dane cook videos and start writing about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom