• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why the fuck does so many people like Dane Cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peagles said:
I'd never heard the name before I read this thread, if that makes you feel better OP.

This is only the second time I've heard of him. The first time was a while back when someone started a thread not unlike this one.

daviyoung

Banned
He's the American Michael McIntyre. I've only seen him in one thing I think, where he worked in a hardware store. Or maybe it was another guy. I dunno, y'all look alike to me.

I've never seen his stand-up.

kottila

woolley said:
I find him to be hilarious. It seems he gets more hate for being more popular than other comedians which is stupid. People act like his fault for being more popular than other people.

well, I've barely heard his name before going into this thread and I don't think I've ever seen him perform, but after seeing a few youtube videos now, he's not funny at all.

scitek

WrathOfOtaibah said:
Every Dane Cook fan I know is a girl, and they all admit its only cause he's good looking(yes girls are as shallow as guys).
This is what I've attributed Jimmy Fallon's success to for a while now. I figured women found his stupid ignorance to be cute or something. I can't stand him or Cook on similar levels.

Monocle

I don't think I've seen so much submediocrity crammed into a single comedian since I watched a clip of Carlos Mencia. This guy's "jokes" are fountains of vapid drivel.

I just watched the scene with him and CK before I left for work. The acting seemed pretty damn genuine and Cook is definitley starting to show his age. Are we supposed to think Cook hooked him up with the Gaga tix because he knew he stole CKs jokes?

Derrick01

Banned
As awful as his standups are his movies are surprisingly decent and not as painful to watch. It's almost always the other way around for comedians...guess that says everything that needs to be said about his comedy.

Angry Fork

I laughed at 2 of his sets during one of his specials I don't remember which one. There was one where he was talking about how he was in an elevator and some guy was about to sneeze and he mentioned how people look like they're about to transform into a warewolf when they're about to sneeze like back up etc. which I laughed a lot at. Another was talking about when you take a girl to a movie theater or whatever and the shit that happens there I laughed at some of that.

But yea everything else is pretty obnoxious. He yells stupid things and tells a lot of bro stories. I'm not someone that hates him but I don't think he's a real comic. He's able to point out obvious things that are subpar material for anyone familiar with good comedians but for the average person who doesn't watch stand up all of his stuff is fresh and interesting to them.

I haven't seen any of his newer stuff I'll probably re-watch his old to see if I like any of it and then check out some new stuff and see if he's gotten any worse.

scitek said:
This is what I've attributed Jimmy Fallon's success to for a while now. I figured women found his stupid ignorance to be cute or something. I can't stand him or Cook on similar levels.
Fallon can be witty, he's just hit or miss. I liked him a lot on SNL even though he broke character too much. He's great at impressions and is a likeable guy imo, he means well. He knows he's not the best ever and he doesn't try to be he just does what he likes. Dane Cook however just looks and acts kind of douchey though and plays that up to his audience.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
On the internet it isn't enough to just 'not like' something. You have to hate it, and then talk about how you hate it to other people who also hate it, eventually becoming just as annoying as the thing you hate.

Oppo

I don't hate the guy but I really an dumbfounded when I see the kinds of arenas he plays, and the crowd he draws. It's so surreal. You hear these middling observational tropes and the crowd just goes fucking berserk. It's almost like it was edited with tons of extra laugh track and clapping, but ... there's the people. Just so odd.

Dane Cook's comedy is terrible. I can't stand watching his stuff.

He's popular because he offers an alternative to the stereotypical comedian. He's well adjusted as opposed to cynical. He's energetic as opposed to dry. He's an antagonist as opposed to a protagonist. Today's "it's all about me" youth can better relate to him than to someone who gripes about life.

Does nothing for me, though.
faceless007 said:
Dane Cook parody. You can't even tell it's parody.
I've seen this years ago, and it's still spot on.

Marleyman

Banned
PortTwo said:
I don't hate the guy but I really an dumbfounded when I see the kinds of arenas he plays, and the crowd he draws. It's so surreal. You hear these middling observational tropes and the crowd just goes fucking berserk. It's almost like it was edited with tons of extra laugh track and clapping, but ... there's the people. Just so odd.

I think they go beserk because he does. I don't hate him either; find myself randomly laughing at things he says.

Your waaay late to the Dane Cook hate train.

For a long time there were rumors that he stole jokes... specifically a couple from Louis CK. He was actually on Louie (Louis CK's TV show) a little while ago and they talked about it (though, to be fair, Louie is a sitcom not a talk show or anything like that). Otherwise, the only reason he's so "hated on the internet" is because he was very popular. Internet nerds hate to go along with the rest of popular society, less they be compared to a "frat guy" or a "college douche". He's also considered relatively good looking and broke into a couple of small acting roles.

He was never a favorite of mine but his stand-up never bothered me, I remember laughing pretty hard at some of his old ones on TV. The last one I saw was that HBO special he did, where he stood on that big circle stage, I thought it was funny.

Davidion

He's entirely decent comic that has quite a few holes in his routines. He goes for the simple laughs and comes at it with a typically frat boyish energy and attitude, so as expected half of the jokes turn out real well while the others just come off as being stupid.

Don't think he's the greatest comic in the world, but he has quite a few good moments and to tag him as being everything that's wrong with comedy is probably going way too far.

Rubashov

Part of the problem with Cook is that his audience makes him difficult to watch. His fans don't laugh; they applaud. They are mostly made up of young women who take any excuse to scream at the top of their lungs, and the dudes who tag along because they want to get lucky. One of those guys is in this thread!

soultron said:
When we started dating, a GF decided to surprise me with tickets to Dane Cook. I fucking hate Dane Cook. The one comedian who opened for him was way better.

I never had the heart to tell her I hate Cook. Haha.

I bet she was really worked up by the end of the night.

I remember listening to some audio clips of him before I knew who he was, and it was funny. They were recorded in a small bar with a real comedian's audience and it was normal. You listen to the jokes and you laugh or not. Fast forward years later and trying to watch his arena shows becomes a chore. You listen to the joke, cut to the audience, hear the girls start to scream and the whole place starts clapping and wooping. It's worse than watching a State of the Union address.

Furret

Banned
PortTwo said:

He's bland and inoffensive.

Most people are bland and inoffensive, ergo he has a big audience.

I haven't heard of or from dane cook for years. It was a good few years. Thanks a lot thread for opening up the wound. You owe me a hug or something.

Houston3000 said:
He was never a favorite of mine but his stand-up never bothered me, I remember laughing pretty hard at some of his old ones on TV. The last one I saw was that HBO special he did, where he stood on that big circle stage, I thought it was funny.

That's the only stand up of him I have seen and it wasn't as bad as everyone said. As an earlier poster mentioned his observations are from an energetic, positive pov which is not typical for comedians.

BriareosGAF said:
Not really familiar with his comedy (more of a Mr. Show kind of guy), but it took guts to do that bit on Louie.
I don't think a lot of comedians despise him at all but the fans seem to, which is a bit odd.

Noirulus

He fits in with the youth crowd and his jokes are targeted for that audience, so he does well even though his comedy is utter garbage. My friends like him but I don't find his jokes all that funny or original.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
man... wtf did i just watch?

at first i was thinking, "ok, this is going to be some concert, this guy is a singer?"

then he started talking to the crowd and i thought, "oh, this guy is some kind of motivational speaker."

then he just dragged on about nothing in particular and it dawned on me, "wait a minute... is he a stand up comedian? people laugh at this? it's meant to be funny?"

and then i kept watching hoping it might get better.... and it simply didn't. it got worse.

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT?

he's some pretty boy, with a lot of energy and stage presence and absolutely NO comedic talent.

Makes no sense. Can't stand him. I remember going away for a weekend with some friends back in college and the people we went with were absolutely OBSESSED with Dane Cook.

SalsaShark, why make a thread that brings more attention to this unfunny douche? Just when I thought he'd pretty much gone away...

Fusion//Torch

Neo Member
If you ever start to chuckle, just a tiny bit, when you're watching D.C., you need to cure that with an immediate application of C.K.

That is all.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I had this co-worker a few years back that was like a fat version of Dane Cook. He'd tell these overly long stories, that you kept waiting to get interesting and funny, but really just ended up being 10 mins about how his wife and him went to KFC, then afterwords stopped as a gas station, then picked up a pint of Ben & Jerry's for the ride home.

I like to think I know my comedy and have good taste. I'd always avoided Cook because of the reputation he got, but I've recently seen a few bits from the show you linked and I got a few laughs. Sure, he's not the best comic out there, but meh. I might watch the whole thing just for something to do some time and get a few giggles.

JaseMath

I think Dane Cook gets unfairly judged, being that the internet hive mind at some point decided it was "cool" to hate on him. Sure, he's not the funniest performer to ever grace the stage and the allegations that he steals material has sullied my opinion of him, but he has his moments and I have no problem admitting that I used to be big fan. Hell, I even saw him live.

J-Rzez

-PXG- said:
You know what's worse? People like Jeff Dunham.

Kill me now.

I came in here to see if someone mentioned this guy, as he's terrible. Cook is better than him easily, but that said, I don't find Cook nearly as funny as Louis C.K. or Daniel Tosh.

shamanick

Davidion said:
Haha, is the whole Randy schtick a stab at Dane Cook? Didn't pay too much attention to it before.

It was my understanding that it was a wink and a nod to Dane Cook, I know I've read that in a few places - I doubt that Aziz would ever state that outright out of a professional respect.

Clydefrog

My ex-GF really liked his standup. She even burned me a couple CDs so I could listen to him in the car. Those CDs literally sat in my car untouched for months. She kept asking me, "have you listened to them yet?" Oh, sorry! I forgot! But they're in my car!

I miss her dearly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom