• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why the fuck does so many people like Dane Cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but enjoy Dane Cook, even when I'm surrounded by people telling me he's a hack stealing jokes and such.

I think this is what it's like to be a Twilight fangirl.

Sethos

Banned
travisbickle said:
There's nothing funny about that; The whole story was made up so he could air his grievances with people who don't believe in God, pathetic.

Comedians that make up stories? No way man, no way.

travisbickle said:
There's nothing funny about that; The whole story was made up so he could air his grievances with people who don't believe in God, pathetic.
Seemed more like he was being a dick to someone who was being a dick to him first.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i like him.

and with dane cook its always been about his mannerisms and the way he acts on stage rather than what he's saying.

but the "you know those parking structures? what do they pave that with??" joke is killer cause of his awesome Pterodactyl sound. he makes the best one ever. i can make an okay one but its really loud.

Mikeside

I quite like Dane Cook

What I don't like is people who feel the need to shit on everything they don't like - if you don't like something, fair enough, be vocal about it or whatever, but don't try to invalidate my opinion because it differs. <- That isn't aimed at anybody specific here, before somebody takes it personally.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
travisbickle said:
It's not about the joke being made up, it's about the joke being made up as a way to promote his religious beliefs and disparage others.

"i am going to write a joke in such a way that will promote my religious beliefs yet disparage others."

must be a really hard or extremely easy process.

Professor Beef said:
Seemed more like he was being a dick to someone who was being a dick to him first.

The situation was made up, there was noone being a dick to him. He was being a dick to an imaginary person.

Mikeside

travisbickle said:
It's not about the joke being made up, it's about the joke being made up as a way to promote his religious beliefs and disparage others.

It's just a joke... and to be honest, I've heard similar jokes with atheists shitting on Christians many many times - as an atheist, I didn't find it offensive anyhow.

davepoobond said:
"i am going to write a joke in such a way that will promote my religious beliefs yet disparage others."

must be a really hard or extremely easy process.

It's pretty easy when you are just one man on stage and you can sway the audiences opinions on how the other person acts.

Anteater

IamMikeside said:
I quite like Dane Cook

What I don't like is people who feel the need to shit on everything they don't like - if you don't like something, fair enough, be vocal about it or whatever, but don't try to invalidate my opinion because it differs. <- That isn't aimed at anybody specific here, before somebody takes it personally.

It's the same case with Justin Bieber or anyone that's successful, but the vocal ones are usually the ones that helps giving them publicity.

I don't have problems with Dane Cook myself, but I certainly wouldn't know the guy if it's not my friend linking me all his videos and he's like "OMG I HATE THIS GUY! Here are some more videos of him.", I'm sure if he tell like 10 guys about it, there would be 2-3 people or more who wouldn't have a problem with him or even enjoy his ridiculous over exaggerated expressions (which I admit I quite enjoy).

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I've listened to his comedy. It's not my thing. I don't like his delivery, and he has stolen jokes, which I find distasteful.

His fans have reputations of being douches, but I only know one person who likes him who is an actual douche.

Oh wait, he did one funny thing. He auditioned to be Captain America.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
soco said:
why did people like like jeff foxworthy? or carrot top? or ...?

Exactly, he doesn't have to make everyone laugh. He doesn't make me laguh at all, except for the Captain America thing. He's an earnest performer and I can see that he puts alot of effort into his shows.

But, does absolutely nothing for me.

I liked most of Vicious Circle. It start to get long in the tooth after about an hour for me...but I enjoyed that hour a lot.

I don't get the hate.

ChiTownBuffalo

Liquid Helium said:
He was great in that episode of Louie. I think I saw a stand up of his a while ago and I remember not liking it.

That's the episode where they discuss the jokes that he allegedly stole from Louie.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'd never heard of Dane Cook so I clicked the thread to find out more.

Watched the OP video for maybe 6 or 7 minutes and didn't so much as chuckle. Total garbage, it's hard to believe so many people are there cheering him on like he's some kind of spiritual leader.

Now, Eddie Izzard, Russell Peters, Mitch Hedberg, Stewart Lee, Michael McIntyre, Billy Connolly... that's proper stand-up comedy.

edit... add Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran to that list. I'm gonna be watching stand-up all day now.

hteng

Banned
thelatestmodel said:
A wannabe comedian with a big mouth and very little actual talent. Check the video in the first post!

i watched for about 2 mins, didn't get what he was babbling about, skipped to the middle, watched a few mins, still have no fucking idea what he's on about.

thelatestmodel said:
I'd never heard of Dane Cook so I clicked the thread to find out more.

Watched the OP video for maybe 6 or 7 minutes and didn't so much as chuckle. Total garbage, it's hard to believe so many people are there cheering him on like he's some kind of spiritual leader.

Now, Eddie Izzard, Russell Peters, Mitch Hedberg, Stewart Lee, Michael McIntyre, Billy Connolly... that's proper stand-up comedy.

edit... add Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran to that list. I'm gonna be watching stand-up all day now.

Slight conflict of interest there!!

Didn't you see Stewart Lee's TV show? He sang a song, in a Bob Dylan style, about how much he hated McIntyre!!

I used to think he was hilarious, but that was when I had no taste for good comedy. Now I realize all he does is state things. There's no real insight or point to what he's saying except to say it in a goofy way.

hteng said:
i watched for about 2 mins, didn't get what he was babbling about, skipped to the middle, watched a few mins, still have no fucking idea what he's on about.

Why would you? He's a story teller comedian. You need to watch it from the beginning.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
travisbickle said:
Slight conflict of interest there!!

Didn't you see Stewart Lee's TV show? He sang a song, in a Bob Dylan style, about how much he hated McIntyre!!

Of course! I like them both, just for different reasons. It just depends what I'm in the mood for.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
thelatestmodel said:
A wannabe comedian with a big mouth and very little actual talent. Check the video in the first post!

I don't like the guy, but you can't call him a wannabe. The guy is huge. As in massive, as in awesome comedians dream about his kind of success. He's like... Chris Rock level of popular. (Is that a good comparison? I think it might be)

Amory

Dane Cook is a pretty decent comedian who's gotten way too much hate from people simply because of how popular he's become. It's the same thing as what happened to Family Guy years ago.

Enosh

travisbickle said:
It's funny that you are being buthurt over this given that there are a billion atheist comedians who constantly make fun of religion, it's a joke, get over it

Tom_Cody

SalsaShark said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=donBLIykVOA

the fuck am i watching?

was he always THIS big?

holy hell, that's a lot of people considering the guy gets hate pretty much everywhere on the internet. I can tell you now that outside of the US he just comes off as some sub-par crappy holywood actor, had no idea his stand-up attracted this crowd, what the fuck.

and they just cheer every time he opens his mouth or moves an elbow as well, doesnt even have to say anything funny.
Jesus christ, everyone in that crowd should be ashamed of themselves. I remember watching part of that with friends a few years ago. He walks out- 2 minutes of roaring applause, he tells horrible joke after horrible joke and the crowd goes nuts every time.

He reminds me more of a motivational speaker than a comedian.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Surely he's not good most of the times but he gets hated too much usually.

LM4sure

Banned
He's still popular? Several years ago I know he was extremely popular, but I thought that all faded after he came out with several movie bombs. Interesting...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
thelatestmodel said:
Comedians are funny. Dane Cook wants to be funny.
He's hilarious, to a massive audience. I'm not part of that audience, but it's easy to understand that these people exist.

jediyoshi

Darknessbear said:
Lol, that's so sad. "How dare you try to make me laugh. I don't like you..."

Wow, great analogy there.

"How dare people hate wall street, they're only trying to save our economy!"

dane cooks first comedy central thing was pretty funny like 8 years ago. hes been pretty awful since, like he blew his load too quickly

woolley

I find him to be hilarious. It seems he gets more hate for being more popular than other comedians which is stupid. People act like his fault for being more popular than other people.

I agree that he got bigger than he probably should have and now gets more hate because of it than he should. His first special was pretty funny, the second was ok and the last one I saw just wasn't funny at all. Might be because his schtick only goes so far but hopefully the guy kept a lot of his money because it appears he's on the downside of his career.

ChiTownBuffalo

negreenfield said:
I agree that he got bigger than he probably should have and now gets more hate because of it than he should. His first special was pretty funny, the second was ok and the last one I saw just wasn't funny at all. Might be because his schtick only goes so far but hopefully the guy kept a lot of his money because it appears he's on the downside of his career.

His brother or half-brother embezzled most of it.

Sad trombone.

Wickwire

I used to like him in the late 90s when I was in highschool. He used to give out his AIM screen name and allow people to enter chats with him and his fans. I thought that was pretty cool. Most of the chat rooms were nothing more than this:

xxx: is this really dane cook
cook: yes, it's really me
xxx: oh cool
xxx:....
cook: signed off

I grew pretty tired of his stuff when I got out of highschool but back then I thought he was funny as shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom