• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why the fuck does so many people like Dane Cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cereal KiIIer said:
That's because you used underscores and it's just 1 big word. PM a mod he will change your name and take them off.

Will do, thanks. I figured they wouldn't give a fuck so I've never bothered, 'cause it has bugged the shit out of me since I started posting. PM'ing a mod is a little intimidating.

Tenck

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
Will do, thanks. I figured they wouldn't give a fuck so I've never bothered, 'cause it has bugged the shit out of me since I started posting. PM'ing a mod is a little intimidating.

It's only intimidating if you have a guilty conscience.

I've never outright hated him. Back in 2006 when he blew up I listened to a few CDs of his with some friends, and they all laughed far more than I did. What he lacks in material, he more than makes up for in sheer stage presence. Nowadays I'll catch his shows on Comedy Central at midnight when I'm half-asleep, and I usually chuckle at a good deal of stuff he says. Plus his appearance on Louie was incredible, and some of the best television of this year.

Even at his worst, Dane Cook is light-years better as a comedian than Jeff Dunham will ever be.

Tenck said:
It's only intimidating if you have a guilty conscience.

Haha. Just feel like I'm whining about shit and don't want to bug them. I just PM'd one that is online now, so hopefully I'll stop fucking up peoples pages soon.

SmZA

Salon.com's epic analysis/demolition:
So what explains Cook's popularity? His comedy is most notable for what it lacks: a critique of the political climate (Dennis Miller, George Carlin, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher), a commentary on our culture (Chris Rock, David Chappelle), a slightly tweaked perspective (Ray Romano, Steven Wright, Jerry Seinfeld), outrageously dirty material (Eddie Murphy, Andrew Dice Clay), or just a goofy, oddball routine (Howie Mandel). Although his delivery can be chafingly smug, Cook doesn't present himself as anything special. He likes video games and chicks and sports and other general-purpose guy stuff. He's not particularly baffled by the world, or all that perceptive, or all that self-aware. He's a little self-deprecating, a little bit cutesy and a little bit aggressive, but most important, he treats mundane experiences like they're huge revelations: Breakup sex is the best, right? Right! Sometimes you have to lie to get out of stuff you don't want to do. I know you've done it, too, bro!

I liked him sophomore year of high school, so that was... back in 2006 I guess. I listened to him because my friends listened to him. I enjoyed it for awhile till everyone quoted the crap out of him. This one guy would get mad if you did it though because it was his original jokes that he was paraphrasing from someone else.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
judging from his popularity, 80% of this thread secretly love him.

I missed the hate bandwagon and he just seems like a 'not great' comedian. Saw a couple of his routines and smiled in bits.

That Louie thing was incredible and made me like him a little more to be honest (not for his act)

He sent his brother and sister-in-law to prison!!

Man, that's going to be an awkward thanksgiving, can you imagine it it would be like "pass me the cranberry sauce" "I'll fuckin' pass you the cranberry sauce" *gesticulate wildly* and they'd be all sat around thinking what the fuck, because that's what I would be thinking...right?

See I could write dane Cook's material.

CabbageRed said:
Hell yeah! At first I felt like the joke was dragging a bit. Do you know what I mean? The joke was dragging... just a bit. Right? The joke was dragging... a bit. But then he hit the bit about the ghost and I was like, "O.M.G." That stands for "oh my god" for any old people reading this. So anyway, I was like "OMG, that was so random!"
I don't like you're tone sarcastic sally but yes, he just talks at the audience there aren't any discernible punchlines.

Barrage said:
To those who think Cook fell off, career-wise..he was the second highest earning Comedian last year.

http://www.therichest.org/entertainment/highest-paid-comedians/
I don't doubt his financial success but that list is definitely inaccurate.

I find his material tolerable - some of it is pretty clever - though I would agree he's not nearly as funny as his popularity suggests. Sold-out arenas and shit? Seriously? Fucking U2 of comedy? Really?

Chamber said:
Have I been living under a rock? I didn't think Dane Cook was still relevant.

Also this. Thread is like a time warp back to 2005 or something.

ToxicAdam said:
A similar example would be Russell Peters. No one in America really knows the guy, but he is huge everywhere else and incredibly wealthy.

I find it funny that you're other example is another unfunny comic.

schnedier-carrot.png

Salsa

Kaizer

Banned
I'll admit, I used to watch Dane Cook back in like '08-'09, enjoyed Vicious Circle, etc. Trying to watch some of his stuff now is sorta painful though.

I ask this same question about Russell Brand, ever since I saw him for the first time on the VMAs years ago he's annoyed the shit out of me. I don't get what's funny about him at all honestly. Was he a huge success in the U.K. before he crossed over? The fact that he's piledriving Katy Perry every night is just depressing.

Buckethead said:
That being said, I thought some of his bits from A Vicious Circle were funny as hell, e.g.: "Atheist on a Subway" bit.

That was fucking terrible. I know they're jokes and all but magical cloud airport in the sky is more realistic than becoming apart of nature after its used your body's energy? The fuck?

When I used to go to high school, there was this kid who would ONLY TELL Dane Cook jokes. He was in my home room and some of my classes(Freshmen Year) so I would hear these jokes multiple times during the week.

I thought it was okay the first 3 weeks, but I promise you, he kept it up the entire school year and I finally told him to stfu with Dane Cook jokes and look up more comedians....He calmed down with Dane Cook and move onto other comedians every now and then, but still Dane Cook jokes were mostly what he told.

Like I said this was freshmen year and we ended up having classes together every single fucking year after that.

"OMG am I the only one who hates Dane Cook!?!"

His haters are far more obnoxious than he is. He's far from being one of the better comedians for sure but there's far worse that are just as popular if not moreso. He is not on the level of Dunham (Or Brand for that matter) guys.....

Salsa

Darknessbear said:
You keep making me check the dates of posts!

What? How is he still relevant?

people are commenting and uploading videos all the time, and he was on tour last year, and movies, and etc

he's gonna come back, i just know it

entering the stage from a fucking helicopter or something

jediyoshi

employee of the month was a guilty pleasure. i think i dislike comedians in general though so i couldn't pick out anything in particular about him.

jediyoshi said:
employee of the month was a guilty pleasure. i think i dislike comedians in general though so i couldn't pick out anything in particular about him.
Lol, that's so sad. "How dare you try to make me laugh. I don't like you..."

i've never heard of the above guy before but i hate him already

SalsaShark said:
what's weird is that its like the first case of someone making it this big on the US and not reaching other countries.

have you missed the entire country & western industry, plus whatever the fuck they call stuff like dave matthews band? if you're only talking about comedy then people like carlos mencia and carrot top obviously don't get very far either, and i don't think anyone except american people watch two and a half men.

tons of stuff is pretty much american-only in appeal, just like any other country.

Salsa

345triangle said:
i've never heard of the above guy before but i hate him already

have you missed the entire country & western industry, plus whatever the fuck they call stuff like dave matthews band? if you're only talking about comedy then people like carlos mencia and carrot top obviously don't get very far either, and i don't think anyone except american people watch two and a half men.

tons of stuff is pretty much american-only in appeal, just like any other country.

Ive heard a ton of stuff by dave matthews, im aware of carlos mencia and carrot top, and two and a half-man is one of the most watched shows in my country.

what im getting at here is that Dane Cook is insanely popular even when every bit of media i see regarding him online suggest otherwise, that's why i wasnt expecting this. He gets a ton of hate online, but then look at all the people who go see him. That's where im getting at.

you're "aware of" them, but are they popular? i mean, you were "aware of" dane cook, but it's not like you or i or anyone we know would consider actually listening to the guy.

you wouldn't have thought nickelback or farmville or titanic had any fans either if you solely went by collective internet opinion.

Salsa

345triangle said:
you're "aware of" them, but are they popular? i mean, you were "aware of" dane cook, but it's not like you or i or anyone we know would consider actually listening to the guy.

you wouldn't have thought nickelback or farmville or titanic had any fans either if you went by internet opinion.

Nickelback doesnt have a TON of fans, and farmville doesnt get any hate other than it being a stupid facebook game, tons of people play it all around the world.

I dont see how its so hard to get surprised at thousands of people going to a show when everything i heard about him is how absolutely terrible he was, and how he stole jokes etc. That's all.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I like to think that for every Dane Cook and Wil Anderson, we'll get proper comedians like Dave Chappelle and Dylan Moran. I can continue to ignore the rubbish if it allows me to drink wine with the true kings of comedy.

Codeblue

I liked him when I was in high school. I had poor taste. It's not so much that he's bad, its just that there are plenty of better comedians doing original material that I could be listening to.

Dunham though. I've always hated that bastard. IT'S SPELLED AHMED YOU UNCULTURED SWINE!

Never got the hate for him, to be honest. I don't think he's a comedy god or anything, but he's not bad enough to deserve all the scorn people seem to dump on him. I liked Vicious Circle, loved Isolated Incident, so he's alright in my book.
airmangataosenai said:
"OMG am I the only one who hates Dane Cook!?!"

His haters are far more obnoxious than he is. He's far from being one of the better comedians for sure but there's far worse that are just as popular if not moreso. He is not on the level of Dunham (Or Brand for that matter) guys.....
I agree with all of this. It's almost like people go out of their way to announce how much they hate him. I've found that he's actually a lot better when he's not acting like he's hopped up on cocaine. Employee of the Month was a surprisingly good movie, and he was pretty good in "Dan in Real Life," both of which are movies that had him turn down the crazy.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
SalsaShark said:
holy hell, that's a lot of people considering the guy gets hate pretty much everywhere on the internet. I can tell you now that outside of the US he just comes off as some sub-par crappy holywood actor, had no idea his stand-up attracted this crowd, what the fuck.

and they just cheer every time he opens his mouth or moves an elbow as well, doesnt even have to say anything funny.
Just view him as the American Russel Brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom