• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the fuck doesn't Android show you the downloads folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

What the hell is this shit!? Why is it hidden? I would have thought it common sense to be able to access the list of downloads without having to dick around my phone's settings for a half hour.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Android is weird about never wanting you to see the file folder system, probably because there's some confusing stuff in there, especially if you use an SD card. Download ES File Explorer or something similar if you want to easily view everything.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's been a download app in the main page on my moto G snce the kit kat days. A bit barebones but it fits the description of what you're asking about.

Which phone you got OP ?

Mr_Zombie

What the hell is this shit!? Why is it hidden? I would have thought it common sense to be able to access the list of downloads without having to dick around my phone's settings for a half hour.

No matter what flavour of Android you have, you know you can simply download a file explorer app and have access to all your folders without dicking around phone's settings?

Even more, nowadays most Android phones already have a preinstalled file explorer app; even clean Android does (at least since Lollipop).

HTC One M9:

Open app tray, click on "downloads". there it is. Or pin "downloads" to one of your homescreens.

Sounds like this is a pretty common solution to your problem and plenty of phones have it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Never seen an Android phone without a "downloads" app

Yeah, even if for SOME reason yours doesn't have it, you can download a crap load of file managers like ES explorer with a few touches on the play store.

Android is weird about never wanting you to see the file folder system, probably because there's some confusing stuff in there, especially if you use an SD card. Download ES File Explorer or something similar if you want to easily view everything.

Wut? Bolded is like the number 1 reason Android exists.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Wut? Bolded is like the number 1 reason Android exists.
I think that the number one reason Android exists is so that Google has more leverage in shaping the way computers are used. But maybe it's actually specifically because they were tired of using file explorers...

Most phones include some variety of file browser - Blame the manufacturer for this one, OP. Then go download ES File Explorer. Frankly, Google should just buy that app and bake it in. It's that good.

rambis

Banned
I think OP is complaining about how hard the folder is to find at first use, not that it doesn't exist. I can agree with this sentiment on my phone and its one of the many reasons I flashed mine with something more intuitive.

My Galaxy Note 5 doesn't seem to have this problem.

I think OP is complaining about how hard the folder is to find at first use, not that it doesn't exist. I can agree with this sentiment on my phone and its one of the many reasons I flashed mine with something more intuitive.
Is it any different than having to go to Windows Explorer and then your Downloads folder?

I've only had an android phone for 4 months and was able to find the downloads in no time at all. It was in a place that is extremely intuitive to me. If OP has problem finding it then its likely due to their unfamiliarity with typical file systems (or a crappy manufacturer).

Santiako

Calls OP...

dhhp6sL.jpg

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
fEeoWm3.png

stock android running 6.0.1. if your phone makes it hard to find then blame whoever made it and decided to mess about with android.

MogCakes

I looked all through my apps and the download app isn't there. I'm using an S6 on Android 6.0.1. I was trying to cancel a download at the time.

Bo-Locks

The default downloads folder is located on the internal memory. Does anybody know how to move the downloads folder and point all future downloads to an SD card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom