• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why The Last of Us Was Disappointing (Video)

I don't think the hostility comes from fully disagreeing with what OP is trying to say, more with the manner in which he is trying to get his point across; by creating a video with cherry-picked moments from several playthroughs in which he was apparently actively trying to make the A.I. look as stupid as possible as to support his point, and claiming that it is representative of regular gameplay on the highest difficulty.

I don't think anyone here is legitimately arguing that the A.I. hasn't been downgraded from the E3 demo, nor that this downgrade was disappointing or that the A.I. doesn't have its problems. It's just that the OP has chosen to massively exaggerate the problem and pass it off as regular gameplay, in a thread with a pretty inflammatory thread title (The Last of Us was a disappointing game as opposed to the much more accurately describing the contents of this thread The Last of Us A.I. was disappointing).

He said he went into it looking forward more to the enemy encounters than anything else. If he managed to break them and be disappointed with how they played out vs what we were shown in previews, I think that's a valid reason to call TLoU disappointing.

If it's the way he's argued them or him getting something wrong, I can understand debating it, but a lot of the posts are flat out dismissal just because it's TLoU, or due to some offhand comment about Bioshock/DmC.

You're trying to make me out to be a liar just because you can't accept that I personally had a poor experience with the AI.

Oh brother... Play the victim now why won't you.

I said right from the start I didn't believe it was all or mostly all from survivor and I didn't even knew about the glowing stuff. What a coincidence that turned out to be the case huh?

R&R

Fucking annoying that this game has suddenly become like the holy grail of gaming...why do I have flashbacks to MGS4 time on GAF? (like THAT game didn't have any flaws...).

You blame the OP for nitpicking and then you start nitpicking yourself about not all footage being from Survivor...so what lol, the point the OP is making is that the AI is not on the level shown at E3 and you CAN NOT get the interactions then presented possible from the AI in the final game no matter what difficulty. That should be clear to ANYONE who has played the game and is familiar with the E3 presentations!

And yet...TLOU is a great game, especially narrative wise. But seriously guys, you have to drop the "flawless masterpiece" shit.

I think people are nitpicking. The Last of Us does so many things right that the bar is put even higher then other games. You must realize that the game is running on 512 MB of Ram, making unique and very advanced AI is almost impossible.

I think because A.I. is something slightly more intangible, the concerns and critiques are more overt and potentially unrealistic because the limitations don't manifest in a very obvious way, as they would if somebody complained that The Last Of Us should be 1080p/60fps. Criticism has to be realistic, and although I wouldn't dismiss the OP's concerns as completely invalid, because he uses the e3 demo, you wonder how valid the criticism is in light of the technical capabilities of the PS3.

Popular games, critically successful games get more attention and more people will notice what's wrong with them than less popular games.

Are the criticisms of Bioshock and TLoU sound?

I think if a person wants to they can find fault in anything. Nothing and nobody is perfect. If u don't like something that fine. I never liked Mario games and I don't like Guacamelee. That being said I've played a few Mario games and Guacamelee. I know why I don't like those games, but that has more to do with ME AND MY PERSONAL TASTES AS A GAMER. I could see why Both games are great, but me bitching about the things I don't like in either game would be like me saying each and every game must be tailored around me and my personal tastes. EVERYTHING ISNT FOR EVERYBODY.

But it seems like nowadays If u don't like something but other ppl do, we must tell them they're wrong and this is why the game isn't good. Everyone wants to spread negative energy too often. Our hobby is becoming too filled with negativity lately n my opinion and I feel things like this contribute to it

Okay, a few clips of footage on hard, yeah? I said almost all of the footage was on survivor, just for clips like that.
You're trying to make me out to be a liar just because you can't accept that I personally had a poor experience with the AI.
Oh, pity you. Maybe you should have said that in your video. It would have cleared up some points. And you weren't being so honest about the survival thing, which in my book makes you appear as a liar. You said the footage was from survival. And then people prove some of it isn't. Wow.

"Like I said, this is all on the highest difficulty". [6:09] on the video.

Fucking annoying that this game has suddenly become like the holy grail of gaming...why do I have flashbacks to MGS4 time on GAF? (like THAT game didn't have any flaws...).

You blame the OP for nitpicking and then you start nitpicking yourself about not all footage being from Survivor...so what lol, the point the OP is making is that the AI is not on the level shown at E3 and you CAN NOT get the interactions then presented possible from the AI in the final game no matter what difficulty. That should be clear to ANYONE who has played the game and is familiar with the E3 presentations!

And yet...TLOU is a great game, especially narrative wise. But seriously guys, you have to drop the "flawless masterpiece" shit.

Actually most of the interactions ARE in the game. The problem is the E3 demo was scripted (both in the game and in the way it was played) so that they would happen one after the other in perfect succession to give a better end result.

And if that was the point the OP was trying to make, then there's way better ways to make it without resorting to misleading and flat out lying.

DryvBy

I only click things that give you ad revenue, sorry.

But seriously, did you finish The Last of Us? I didn't like it that much until a few hours in. The beginning blew me away, then it was really slow. After that slow section, game was exciting and interesting the entire rest of the way.

Oh brother... Play the victim now why won't you.

I said right from the start I didn't believe it was all or mostly all from survivor and I didn't even knew about the glowing stuff. What a coincidence that turned out to be the case huh?

No, like I said in the video "almost all" which implies some isn't. You think by showing me that I was telling the truth when I said "almost" you're now proven right? What the hell?

Is this thread like when people that didn't like bioshock infinte found a video of someone criticising the game and made a new thread because they thought the same and wanted to be vindicated?
Because it sure looks like it.

And im not even that fond of last of us.

But isn't that kind of thinking toxic to any potential discussion. If you go into the thread thinking that they have a combative stance in need of vindication, then the discussion will just degenerate into a glorified mud slinging competition.

"enemies are goddamned morons"

Worst game confirmed?

Here's why OP claiming the video footage is on survivor difficulty is false.

95ip.jpg

l5ij.jpg

Only dropped melee weapons glow in survivor difficulty.
Bricks, bottles and dropped ammos don't glow.

hehehehe

No whats annoying is people like you who think people loving this game means they think its the holy grail of gaming. Tell who has said that in this thread apart from you?

OP claimed most of it was from Survivor and the rest was hard. We don't believe it especially in how much survivor gameplay we are seeing.

2. OP claimed AI would always run at you despite having a gun, ambushes were taken out. Bullshit.

E3 demo had better AI or at least the Ai was its fair share of problems are stuff many players can agree with. Making it seem like these problems are a regular thing in gameplay or represent usual AI on the highest difficulty is disingenuous.

terrier

The problem here is that you're seemingly putting these opinions on a pedestal, hence the hostile reaction. People give awards because it's a way of honouring these amazing experiences they've had; a chance to showcase the best games over the course of the year. When it comes to criticism, If we don't challenge in any way why it is we enjoy these games and what flaws they possess, then we're not challenging ourselves.

It's a mindset thing, if you come at it from a hostile perspective that somehow your enjoyment of the game is being challenged, then you'll throw up a wall. On the other hand, if you just accept it as another opinion in the mix, then maybe you'll get something out of it, outside of your own experience with the game.

I don't put anything on a pedestal. I do not care about awards, and the only thing that kinda annoys me is seeing this kind of threads so often. Nitpicking threads.

Then people would discuss multiplatform games too. That's not what happens. Only exclusives get hate threads.

This

Oh, pity you. Maybe you should have said that in your video. It would have cleared up some points. And you weren't being so honest about the survival thing, which in my book makes you appear as a liar. You said the footage was from survival. And then people prove some of it isn't. Wow.

But I did say it in my video. I said "Nearly all of the footage in this video is from survivor difficulty"

R&R

Actually most of the interactions ARE in the game. The problem is the E3 demo was scripted (both in the game and in the way it was played) so that they would happen one after the other in perfect succession to give a better end result.

And yet...not ALL of them are, which was the point OP was trying to make originally.

And if that was the point the OP was trying to make, then there's way better ways to make it without resorting to misleading and flat out lying.

He said not all of it was from Survivor in the original message...how is he lying? And again, it is missing the point.

And yet...not ALL of them are, which was the point OP was trying to make originally.

He said not all of it was from Survivor in the original message...how is he lying? And again, it is missing the point.

Except he specifically mentioned stuff that are in the game as not being in the game.

What i get from this thread, TC made a video fitting his points and agenda for his argument

When somone posts the opposite proving him wrong to fut their agenda it's brushed off.

Bottom line is the game has AI issues from time to time, people have said that since it launched. But the game is good enough overall to overcome it IMO

Alienous

Missing the point yet again. He claimed the AI flat out doesn't do stuff that video shows them doing. Doesn't matter for what reasons I played and recorded it.

Ah. That's fair.

That said, using that small example to erode the validity of the OP's argument doesn't agree with me. He can only be informed by his impressions, with the jist of the opinion being that the AI doesn't perform like in the E3 demo. Never experiencing the AI grabbing my gun I don't factor it into what I think the AI is capable of, even if someone else has experienced it. It would be too obscure. Anyway, it's fair to correct any misinformation from the OP, but that doesn't undermine his viewpoint, IMO. Experiencing the TLOU as I have, I didn't know that enemies retreating from a drawn gun was a thing. Let's assume neither did the OP.

Making a video to show what the AI is capable of is as relevant as the OP making a video to show what glitches occur. Footage with no ulterior motive, recorded without trying to prove a point, is really the only valid footage for disproving the OP. Outside of you fact checking a single element (with the AI retreating), which I apologize for misinterpreting earlier.

In the video he SPECIFICALLY states that much of the footage is from survival, not all of it. Also, your avatar and name should immediately disqualify you from an unbiased discussion on the merits of a Naughty Dog game.

Again, I love this game. It was fantastic. Having said that, the dynamic AI they showed in the demo was a clear misrepresentation of what we got in the final product. Naughty Dog even confirmed that it was an accurate showcase of the game (in fact they said it would improve from that demo). This is beyond obvious, and the primary point OP is making.

We need to acknowledge that it's important or us to hold developers accountable for these kinds of deceptive marketing techniques (YES, even our favourite developers). The evidence is right there. I played the game, I enjoyed the game, but the AI was a let down or me after what I saw in that demo.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. He's not insulting your mothers.

While I agree, maybe he should have that reflected in the thread and video title, I think the thread would have benefited greatly

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
He said he went into it looking forward more to the enemy encounters than anything else. If he managed to break them and be disappointed with how they played out vs what we were shown in previews, I think that's a valid reason to call TLoU disappointing.

If it's the way he's argued them or him getting something wrong, I can understand debating it, but a lot of the posts are flat out dismissal just because it's TLoU, or due to some offhand comment about Bioshock/DmC.
Again, that's what I'm saying; the downgrade in A.I. was disappointing, and if that made the entire game disappointing for OP, then that's fine. However, the video he posted along with it to support his claims shows cherry-picked clips from multiple playthroughs in which he is actively trying to make the A.I. do stupid stuff, while claiming that it is an accurate representation of regular gameplay on the highest difficulty, which it factually isn't (due to it being clips of him actively trying to break the A.I., it being clips from several separate playthroughs and, as has now come up, it not all being clips from the highest difficulty as he was claiming.). Yes, there are some drive-by posts, but you'll have those in every thread.

Wow...in just a few short pages...OP got OWNED.

I feel sorry for the OP, because in most peoples minds this thread has become a competition to see whose truth is absolute. There's no interest in any kind of discussion, but it's now about beating him into submission rather than entering into a more intricate debate of whether his expectations were realistic? Is the a.i. disappointing in relation to other games? But, no, OP got OWNED. All because a few people don't like anybody saying anything negative about their favourite games.

In the video he SPECIFICALLY states that much of the footage is from survival, not all of it. Also, your avatar and name should immediately disqualify you from an unbiased discussion on the merits of a Naughty Dog game.

Again, I love this game. It was fantastic. Having said that, the dynamic AI they showed in the demo was a clear misrepresentation of what we got in the final product. Naughty Dog even confirmed that it was an accurate showcase of the game (in fact they said it would improve from that demo). This is beyond obvious, and the primary point OP is making.

We need to acknowledge that it's important or us to hold developers accountable for these kinds of deceptive marketing techniques (YES, even our favourite developers). The evidence is right there. I played the game, I enjoyed the game, but the AI was a let down or me after what I saw in that demo.

I like Crash, Naughty Dog and CriterionGames? CriterionDog. = Criterion Games + NaughtyDog. Jeez.
And nope, he states his footage recorded is all on the highest difficulty.
I love this game and understand his disappointment with it, but he didn't get the best footage for it. People have already made it clear that he wasn't always playing survivor, and he even admitted it. Another poster already linked us to uncut AI test of the survivor run, and he/she never really runs into buggy AI.

jadedm17

Dissappointingly too good??

This.

Everything has faults so I think keeping that in mind - and expectation/hype levels in check - helps a lot. Personally I don't care for Dark Souls but I can see why someone would find it amazing. The journey Last of Us provided, the atmosphere and characters, everything was top notch. I loved it.

On a related note I can't help but find when people criticize overwhelmingly popular things to be baffling. I can't believe how many people on GAF don't care for The Avengers? Apple products aren't my thing but I can't argue they're undeniably good at what they do. The Avengers, The Last of Us, how do you argue these aren't "good" things? Your opinion can be to not care for them, wish they went other routes, things like that... but to deny them being "good" is crazy to me.

Donos

It's not that TLOU is untouchable and should be the holy grail, but the kind and tone how a thread gets set up brings people out to critize the op.
But it will get filed under "sony gaf flaming critisism of their darling".

But i don't agree that only exclusive get that kind of threads. Almost every AAA blockbuster with high metacritic score and awards gets such threads. I remember the heavy flack GTA 4 got after a while.

Bedlam

Great, great game. One of the best I played this (last) generation.

I'm not making a video about how great it is though.

Jesus, go to 6:10. "Like I said, this is ALL on the highest difficulty."
You did not say nearly.

3:40 time he does but its still disingenuous and he flat out lies late on like you showed.

It would be better to have an annotation indicating what difficulty each piece of footage is.

So because the game isn't in survivor it excuse a shitty ai ?

Yes because getting some clips of the Ai performing at its worst somehow represents usual gameplay.

I can get some clips of Dark Souls AI performing horribly then make a thread saying Dark Souls is disappointing and then link the vid as my justification. See how disingenuous that is?

R&R

The point I was trying to make, well put.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
But I did earlier at 3:33.

I think you to just say that you cultivated your clips. Pretending otherwise is silly and not honest. You had a conclusion, then found clips to support. Nothing wrong with that, but it's clear you didn't find what you wanted in Survivor. Also, stop editing your previous posts to reflect your newer, softer position on how much you played from Survivor.

But I did earlier at 3:33.

Alright, I apologize. I watched the whole video and got off track with the middle of the video. With all the postings about the non survival capture, I went overboard. But, it just confuses me when you state at 6:10 you declare it was all captured on the highest difficulty, even though earlier you say something different. But, whatever. Just enjoy the game. I guess I forgot what you said at the earlier time stamp and I apologize.

I don't really get the clear point though. Were you honestly playing on survivor most of the time or hard? You state at first "nearly all footage is from survivor" to saying later "like I said, this is all recorded on the highest difficulty". It is pretty much lying later on. Ugh.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
I think if a person wants to they can find fault in anything. Nothing and nobody is perfect. If u don't like something that fine. I never liked Mario games and I don't like Guacamelee. That being said I've played a few Mario games and Guacamelee. I know why I don't like those games, but that has more to do with ME AND MY PERSONAL TASTES AS A GAMER. I could see why Both games are great, but me bitching about the things I don't like in either game would be like me saying each and every game must be tailored around me and my personal tastes. EVERYTHING ISNT FOR EVERYBODY.

But it seems like nowadays If u don't like something but other ppl do, we must tell them they're wrong and this is why the game isn't good. Everyone wants to spread negative energy too often. Our hobby is becoming too filled with negativity lately n my opinion and I feel things like this contribute to it

Criticism doesn't necessarily equate to giving out negative energy. If you could explain your reasoning for disliking a Mario game in a direct manner, that discussion could lead to information that is potentially enlightening. For example, Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb has said he disliked Super Mario 3D World's wide and empty level design. I don't entirely agree, but for me it brought to mind issues I had that I wasn't entirely conscious of while playing, specifically camera positioning or the occasional wonky platforming section. That sort of discussion helps me reinforce and/or restructure my tastes through reevaluation.

Horp

This topic is hilarious. Obviously not the OP; the video is nicely put together and brings up a number of good points. However I must say that the things the video brings up can be brought up regarding pretty much any game ever. Which is sad :/

What is hilarious is the TLOU defense force (yea sorry, I used the term defense force) in the thread. Oh My God guys. It's embarrasing how hurt you are when someone has a negative opinion about your fav darling.

def sim

I just started survivor and, though I'm early in the game, am I to expect a change in AI? I've played hard and experienced many of hyperbit's complaints with the AI and, so far, survivor feels like the same game with fewer materials to find.

I find it hard to believe dynamic AI is only available in survivor.

This topic is hilarious. Obviously not the OP; the video is nicely put together and brings up a number of good points. However I must say that the things the video brings up can be brought up regarding pretty much any game ever. Which is sad :/

What is hilarious is the TLOU defense force (yea sorry, I used the term defense force) in the thread. Oh My God guys. It's embarrasing how hurt you are when someone has a negative opinion about your fav darling.

Hilarious are posts like these. It's not about negative opinions, its about flat out lies.

Whats embarrassing is your jump to conclusions.

We are disputing the claims made in the video and you would know this if you read the posts but I doubt you read any of them.

I like Crash, Naughty Dog and CriterionGames? CriterionDog. = Criterion Games + NaughtyDog. Jeez.
And nope, he states his footage recorded is all on the highest difficulty.
I love this game and understand his disappointment with it, but he didn't get the best footage for it. People have already made it clear that he wasn't always playing survivor, and he even admitted it. Another poster already linked us to uncut AI test of the survivor run, and he/she never really runs into buggy AI.

I've watched both videos, and played the game. I can tell you that my experience is closer to a mixture between OP's video and the one the other poster shared. Sometimes it works, but often it doesn't, and it's NEVER as dynamic and engaging as the E3 demo. That's the comparison OP is examining. We really can't deny that it doesn't match up.

Anyway, to me it's borderline semantics, but he does say in the video at one point that a lot of the footage is from survivor, which by nature implies that it isn't all from survivor mode. He does also say "all of the footage is from the highest difficulty", but I took this to mean "hard" and "survivor". Hard mode would in fact be the highest difficulty for players who haven't beaten the game yet. In any case, my experience in survivor mode has at times resembled his video, so it's a moot point in my books.

In hindsight, my statement about your name and avatar was a fallacious argument. Apologies.

PaulloDEC

The video got off to a rough start with the suggestion that both DmC and Bioshock Infinite were bad games, but the complaints about The Last of Us are pretty hard to refute. Based on the examples shown, the features demoed at E3 just aren't there anymore. Glitchy AI on the other hand is less of a big deal when even the very best games have it to some degree.

That being said, I didn't notice any of the omissions during my time with the game, so my enjoyment wasn't affected in the slightest. Takes all sorts.

Honestly, the AI should be advanced and reacting dynamically (like in the demo versions) regardless of difficulty. The game not reaching up to those standards certainly lessens it, and I agree with the OP. While it had a good story and presentation, the gameplay was nothing special, and thus - the game is disappointing considering the promise it showed prior to release. Then again, nothing new, game developers do this all the time.

I think you to just say that you cultivated your clips. Pretending otherwise is silly and not honest. You had a conclusion, then found clips to support. Nothing wrong with that, but it's clear you didn't find what you wanted in Survivor. Also, stop editing your previous posts to reflect your newer, softer position on how much you played from Survivor.

Like I said, I have like 18GB of footage of the game. I started on hard, but moved up to survivor to get more accurate footage. When I edited the video, I first trimmed down all of the recordings I had, which still included to footage from hard, into a smaller timeline, and then just threw them in as they fit. I didn't know about this glowing thing either, so believe me, I wasn't trying to be dishonest when I said not all of it was survivor in the video. If I was trying to lie about not all of the footage being on survivor, I would have said it was all survivor and then I would deserve to get proven wrong and discredited.

Also, what do you mean? As far as I remember, I've only gone back to fix spelling errors and stuff. I may be wrong. I'm kinda stressing out right now and it's 1am, so I may have made a mistake.

Top Bottom