• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why won't WB drop Zack Snyder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjimbo

These suits and his brain make him justice league level. And bruce is broody but he hasn't been written as cocky in a while

But more importantly where are you getting this interpretation of batman from? He doesn't use them they are actually his friends whom he respects. And he's not scared to do anything I mean look at this crazy shit.
Leave it to comics to make the Batgod even more OP. Smh

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Leave it to comics to make the Batgod even more OP. Smh

bat-god-jpg.jpg

a916

We know it underperformed and we know it led to a shakeup at WB.

https://www.google.com/amp/conseque...dicated-arm-of-warner-bros/amp/?client=safari

Snyder is still the director of JL but he was demoted. He no longer runs the Cinematic universe.

He never did. They went on record to say each film was going to be filmmaker driven. Maybe less so now after SS, but they've always said that.

It's gonna be fun to see how much of that was Larry Fong when Justice League hits. The Comic Con footage wasn't very impressive.

He does his own story boarding, so maybe it does come from his head.

Pandy

Well Zack Snyder is quite frankly an incredible director. He has a knack for stylish visuals and impactful action scenes. Action scenes that really provide that oomph.

Watchmen in particular is a masterpiece in my opinion. And I really liked Batman v Superman.

I support this.

The problem with BvS in particular is the writing, and then the editing, not the direction.

Tsukumo

Man of Steel was a fantastic movie, and so was Watchmen. He is one the most skilled directors around in terms of tech and style and all the flack he gets, he is getting because of the type of product he is selling.
All he had to do was to drop the slow-mo. What's left now is prime photography and dynamic action sequences that aren't trying to confuse you with shaky-cams and close-up shots. Only the Russos outdo him and outclass him in terms of quality of action sequences. If those dumb-asses at Warner had left the warehouse sequence where it was, inside the movie instead of making it into a commercial, right now they would have the same amount of people gashing over it with the enthusiasm people reserve to the Cap vs Bucky action in Winter soldier.
Snyder was doing fine until WB decided to pull a Batman v Superman and fuse two inconsistent movies into a disastrous mess.
The actual idea behind Batman v Superman was really ingenuous. First it was perfectly fitting the heritage of Nolan's Batman, since in the movie Bruce goes through what people in Gotham went through once he appeared the first time. As Joker said "he changed things". He is finding himself at the other side of the equation: there's someone who is more powerful than he is, as a symbol and as a hero, and of course he starts getting nightmares of all sorts including the very one where he felt his helplessness for the first time.
Second, the idea that some people would have a fucking psychotic attack at the undeniable proof that God really exists or that aliens really exist, doesn't look that ludicrous to me. Actually, now that Trump won the election a character like Lex Luthor doesn't seem that far-fetched to begin with. The real problem with Luthor wasn't Eisenberg or the sudden introduction of mystical intervention into his actions, it was the fact that it's never really explained why he lost his mind at the idea of God not only being real but also being "all-good". The screenplay should have treated Superman as a side-character, making us see him through the eyes of Bruce and Lex, all the while focusing on deeper introspection of Bruce and Lex's motives. But, hey, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN TOO DARK, right?
This was a BATMAN MOVIE, but since they made people wait for four years and since WB wanted to turn the whole thing into a cash-cow, they worked on this project as if it was a pilot for a tv-show. And they fucked it up.
I refuse to believe that garbage like Dark Knight Rises, or at least everything in Dark Knight Rises after the first Bane fight, or Batman v Superman are Nolan and Snyder responsibility.

Nev

Banned
The actual idea behind Batman v Superman was really ingenuous. First it was perfectly fitting the heritage of Nolan's Batman, since in the movie Bruce goes through what people in Gotham went through once he appeared the first time. As Joker said "he changed things". He is finding himself at the other side of the equation: there's someone who is more powerful than he is, as a symbol and as a hero, and of course he starts getting nightmares of all sorts including the very one where he felt his helplessness for the first time.

There are zero indications of this Batman being remotely related to Nolan's Batman, it's a completely different world altogether and we have to understand that he's a careless killer now because he says he's seen some shit in 20 years of which we haven't seen anything.

It's not a Batman I can emphasize with at all. Maybe Snyder shouldn't have put the Waynes' death there for the 20th time and should've replaced it with some other interesting flashback like the death of Jason Todd. That way there would be some actual visual testimony of these 20 fucked up years and the potential turning point that Todd's death would be for this Batman.

It wouldn't make his rampant killing more justifiable but at least I would've cared more for him, showing the Robin costume with some Leto on it is not enough, and the killing of Bruce's parents achieved nothing in terms of character development. Mainly because the whole population of this planet already knows what happened to them. The only reason this scene is there is so they could go ahead with the stupid Martha thing.

Second, the idea that some people would have a fucking psychotic attack at the undeniable proof that God really exists or that aliens really exist, doesn't look that ludicrous to me. Actually, now that Trump won the election a character like Lex Luthor doesn't seem that far-fetched to begin with. The real problem with Luthor wasn't Eisenberg or the sudden introduction of mystical intervention into his actions, it was the fact that it's never really explained why he lost his mind at the idea of God not only being real but also being "all-good".

These exact themes are developed in Civil War to considerably greater success.

The screenplay should have treated Superman as a side-character

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it did.

Well Zack Snyder is quite frankly an incredible director. He has a knack for stylish visuals and impactful action scenes. Action scenes that really provide that oomph.

Watchmen in particular is a masterpiece in my opinion. And I really liked Batman v Superman.

This. In Zack I Trust.

Anth0ny

contract in place I think

he'll be out for justice league 2. there is no way they're happy with their big film to kick off the DC cinematic universe getting completely shit on critically and making less money than the last solo batman film

Dalek

Man of Steel was a fantastic movie, and so was Watchmen. He is one the most skilled directors around in terms of tech and style and all the flack he gets, he is getting because of the type of product he is selling.

latest

He's great at making movies for the 15 - 19 year old crowd, who loves that bit of edge that gives them the feeling they are no longer kids. It's a demo with terrible taste, but, it's who WB believes is mainly interested in these movies.

This is a good post and very insightful.

LionPride

Banned
All he had to do was to drop the slow-mo. What's left now is prime photography and dynamic action sequences that aren't trying to confuse you with shaky-cams and close-up shots. Only the Russos outdo him and outclass him in terms of quality of action sequences. If those dumb-asses at Warner had left the warehouse sequence where it was, inside the movie instead of making it into a commercial, right now they would have the same amount of people gashing over it with the enthusiasm people reserve to the Cap vs Bucky action in Winter soldier.
Snyder was doing fine until WB decided to pull a Batman v Superman and fuse two inconsistent movies into a disastrous mess.
Second, the idea that some people would have a fucking psychotic attack at the undeniable proof that God really exists or that aliens really exist, doesn't look that ludicrous to me. Actually, now that Trump won the election a character like Lex Luthor doesn't seem that far-fetched to begin with. The real problem with Luthor wasn't Eisenberg or the sudden introduction of mystical intervention into his actions, it was the fact that it's never really explained why he lost his mind at the idea of God not only being real but also being "all-good". The screenplay should have treated Superman as a side-character, making us see him through the eyes of Bruce and Lex, all the while focusing on deeper introspection of Bruce and Lex's motives. But, hey, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN TOO DARK, right?
This was a BATMAN MOVIE, but since they made people wait for four years and since WB wanted to turn the whole thing into a cash-cow, they worked on this project as if it was a pilot for a tv-show. And they fucked it up.
I refuse to believe that garbage like Dark Knight Rises, or at least everything in Dark Knight Rises after the first Bane fight, or Batman v Superman are Nolan and Snyder responsibility.

You got a problem mate

Dalek

You know now that I think about it-Snyder is the perfect person to helm the Upcoming Liefeld Extreme film universe. Their sensibilities pretty much match up and there's little to no nuance for him to miss out on. His fans would still be able to praise his "technical prowess" or whatever and he'd be free to muck around with a big sandbox.

Garlador

People hating on Watchmen, the greatest superhero adaption of the greatest graphic novel ever. Now I have truly seen it all.

Hallelujah?...

... It was as good an adaption as I think you could make, but that doesn't necessarily translate into a great film. I liked it. Didn't love it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Watchmen is not "6.5". It is a great adaptation of the novel which even goes to the extent of improving it in some ways.

DiscoJer

Directors in Hollywood always confuse me.

Some seem to have jobs for life. Others, despite a great track record, have one flop and are banished for decades. Some are literally driven insane being forced to make Jean-Claude Van Damme movies until they have a break down,.

ElyrionX

I only found out Snyder made Sucker Punch after I watched BvS.

But yeah, I can't believe how someone who made Sucker Punch continues to have a job making movies.

Snyder is the best superhero/comic director.

Because Zack Snyder is a good director who makes good movies.

Not a fan of the guy for the most part. Just liked BvS and Dawn of the Dead really but good on yall. To each their own and all that

it's fine to hate these films. Say it as much as you want to that's fine. Im known to not like a lot of output from Disney's marvel for instance. But what are some of you guys accomplishing by always trying to force your opinion to take precedence over theirs. It's embarrassing. Like the dude isn't aware of snyder's bad track record with reviews already? Lmao

B33

Banned

Both movies are awful.

Only agree for Watchmen and Batman's fight scene in BvS. The warehouse fight, particulary when the camera follows right behind his left hook (I think) was awesome. His fights with Superman though, was hugely disappointing. Just lots of slamming and ramming and heaving each other. And something about their mothers.

RexNovis

Banned
Batman v. Superman is in the top 20 worst, according to Rotten Tomatoes, FWIW

1. Supergirl
2. Catwoman
3. Fantastic Four
4. Elektra
5. Batman & Robin
6. The Crow City of Angels
7. Steel
8. Superman IV
9. The Spirit
10. Howard the Duck
11. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
12. Spawn
13. TMNT (2014)
14. Blade Trinity
15. Superman III
16. Ghost Rider
17. Green Lantern
18. Suicide Squad
19. Batman v. Superman
20. Barb Wire

I don't care what anyone else says Spawn was a fucking awesome movie. You will never convince me otherwise. How anyone could think it is somehow worse than that flaming ball of shit that was Green Lantern is just beyond me.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I don't care what anyone else says Spawn was a fucking awesome movie. You will never convince me otherwise. How anyone could think it is somehow worse than that flaming ball of shit that was Green Lantern is just beyond me.
I saw Spawn on the list too and was surprised. I feel it's a better film than "Swamp Thing 2" and "Tank Girl".

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
People hating on Watchmen, the greatest superhero adaption of the greatest graphic novel ever. Now I have truly seen it all.

You're half right. The movie certainly looks the part. Can't argue that. Tragically, it misses any nuance of the book. It wears it's skin but lacks any of its heart, so to speak.

Watchmen is not "6.5". It is a great adaptation of the novel which even goes to the extent of improving it in some ways.

tenor.gif

Bleepey

To be fair, the action in BvS is a very mixed bag. The batmobile sequence was honestly shot like shit. Nolan's batmobile sequence was vastly superior and he is routinely criticized for being a poor director of action. Come to think of it, there is not one standout action set piece in all of BvS.

His best action set piece was the showdown with the Kryptonians in Smallville.

Holy hyperbole Batman! I can understand hating Snyder but how can you hate the Metropolis opening or the Arkham take down?!

Same reason they won't drop the Wachowskis. WB still prides itself as a director-driven studio and will anchor itself to artists even if they drag them down to the bottom of the ocean.

Plus I'm sure Zack is a nice enough dude to work for and is capable of delivering on time and budget without getting too stressed. Really goes a long way. So does co-owning your own production company with your wife.

Holy hyperbole Batman! I can understand hating Snyder but how can you hate the Metropolis opening or the Arkham take down?!

Metropolis opening was great, outside of the whole company waiting for permission from their boss to evacuate the building when 9/11*100 is happening outside the window. Very tense and horrific. Maybe the best scene in the movie.

Warehouse fight has poor choreography. Great looking beatdowns, but too many goons standing around waiting for their turn to be hit by Batman. Scene would have went completely differently if the 17 guys in that warehouse just all dogpiled him.

This is a problem in a lot of movies though, not specific to Snyder.

Bleepey

It's just that they've doubled down on the darkness to often comical extreme. Nolan films are often described as gritty and dark but there's still levity to break it up and there's still hope. Synder thought Batman should get raped in prison. It's a 90's view of darkness that's edgy to a fault.

Plus character appropriateness. Having an entire cinematic universe built around what works for Batman is pretty silly.

It's kinda surprising how a lie travels round the world twice before the truth has set off. Also ironic since Batman's been raped in the comic (Talia date raped him).

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's kinda surprising how a lie travels round the world twice before the truth has set off. Also ironic since Batman's been raped in the comic (Talia date raped him).

Anung is pretty on point with the '90s view of darkness' comment though. Snyder said:

Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in [Watchmen]. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.

The irony being, the man helming Watchmen misinterpreted what it was trying to do, just like all the 80s/90s comic book imitators.

Bleepey

People are lucky Snyder did Watchmen. Terry Gilliam wanted Ozymandias to tell Dr Manhattan to undo everything and make it so that it was all a dream and the Minutemen were only comic book characters. Missing squids ain't got shit on Terry Gilliam.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
People are lucky Snyder did Watchmen. Terry Gilliam wanted Ozymandias to tell Dr Manhattan to undo everything and make it so that it was all a dream and the Minutemen were only comic book characters. Missing squids ain't got shit on Terry Gilliam.

The 'missing squid' is far from the only problem with the Watchmen movie, man.

Bleepey

Same reason they won't drop the Wachowskis. WB still prides itself as a director-driven studio and will anchor itself to artists even if they drag them down to the bottom of the ocean.

Plus I'm sure Zack is a nice enough dude to work for and is capable of delivering on time and budget without getting too stressed. Really goes a long way. So does co-owning your own production company with your wife.

Metropolis opening was great, outside of the whole company waiting for permission from their boss to evacuate the building when 9/11*100 is happening outside the window. Very tense and horrific. Maybe the best scene in the movie.

Warehouse fight has poor choreography. Great looking beatdowns, but too many goons standing around waiting for their turn to be hit by Batman. Scene would have went completely differently if the 17 guys in that warehouse just all dogpiled him.

People were told to stay indoors during 9/11. I think some building protocols at the time advised staying indoors to protect against falling glass.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2001/sep/16/september11.usa3?client=safari

2) considering he disabled most of their guns and took out like 8 of them in 10 seconds and they did try to come at him at once. But this is all subjective.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

The Raid 2 was the only movie to get it right.

hqdefault.jpg

Bleepey

The 'missing squid' is far from the only problem with the Watchmen movie, man.

What did he misinterpret about Watchmen? I asked people what was wrong with the ending and they said that blaming Dr Manhattan makes no sense since he was still a US creation. Which I don't get. The US inadvertently created the Taliban with their BS proxy war in Afganistan and when Bin Laden attacked the US on 9/11 didn't the world come together in support of the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom