• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why won't WB drop Zack Snyder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
He delivers on time, is flexible to demands and the films make money.

That about covers it.

Yeah the movies are disappointing quality wise, and you can't tell me that WB is overjoyed that Batman vs Superman made less money than Captain America vs Iron Man, but I seriously doubt they're in panic mode right now.

suaveric

I guess you haven't been paying attention. He's been greatly diminished in his capacity in the DCEU. WB completely redid the power structure of the DC films during production of Justice Leauge.

Everything post-JL goes through the new producers. There's not even a guarantee that Snyder will be back for Justice League 2. In fact, I'd say there's a 70% chance he's not back, unless the first one really hits it out of the park this year.

He's great at making movies for the 15 - 19 year old crowd, who loves that bit of edge that gives them the feeling they are no longer kids. It's a demo with terrible taste, but, it's who WB believes is mainly interested in these movies.

SteveWD40

This, he is reliable and they don't lose money. Kevin Smith said much the same when asked how he still gets work (just after that shit with Bruce Willis) and the answer was: I work pretty cheap, I usually turn a small profit and am reliable, if you are known to the studio often that's all it takes to get work.

Only if you measure best by lifting direct comic book panels as isolated moments of screen but add nothing of value between them.

He should be a photography director.
nah, he knows his stuff, even if his stuff involves making Superman into a emotionally stunted adult and Batman his acolyte

Glass Rebel

Only if you measure best by lifting direct comic book panels as isolated moments of screen but add nothing of value between them.

He should be a photography director.

It's gonna be fun to see how much of that was Larry Fong when Justice League hits. The Comic Con footage wasn't very impressive.

Azazzel

That's because he went full anime for MoS. Wish he had stuck to that style instead of the generic shit in BvS.

If there is something i'll be forever thankful to Snyder is the MoS fights. That's how superpowerful people should fight and the consequences of it.

Marvel should learn a little bit more about that.

Well Zack Snyder is quite frankly an incredible director. He has a knack for stylish visuals and impactful action scenes. Action scenes that really provide that oomph.

Watchmen in particular is a masterpiece in my opinion. And I really liked Batman v Superman.

I have to agree with this. Zack Snyder is an incredibly polarizing director. On one hand, he does have an incredible eye for for cinematography and knows how to frame scenes really well. On the other hand... he is Zack Snyder.

Personally I think WB is trying to ease him out of the DCU by letting him work on other movie productions. He has less control on Justice League than he did with BvS.

HotHamBoy

Guy knows how to bring in the money. His films perform really well despite all of them being critically panned and despised by most fans.

It's a paradox, but WB has no interest in art.

How can anyone say he is a good director? He has zero good movies. I'm including 300. He is a music video director through and through. The biggest part of being a good director is good storytelling. He is a spectacular failure at storytelling.

sirap

If there is something i'll be forever thankful to Snyder is the MoS fights. That's how superpowerful people should fight and the consequences of it.

Marvel should learn a little bit more about that.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Marvel has that Oblivion level-scaling shit going on to justify Black Widow, Hawkguy, and Falcon's existence in the A team. Hell, everything's so normalized they managed to make the most OP super-power look boring (Quicksilver's speed)

Thor 3 & Thanos might change that, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Because the problem isn't Jack Snyder.

The problem has been bad writing and screenplays for each of the critically panned yet financially successful DCCU films.

Basically David Goyer is shit without other, better writers to lean on and/or clean up his work. And David Ayer can't write superheroes.

Ninjimbo

How can anyone say he is a good director? He has zero good movies. I'm including 300. He is a music video director through and through. The biggest part of being a good director is good storytelling. He is a spectacular failure at storytelling.
Its pretty simple. The guy knows how to tell a story with style and grace. Sure, you probably have something different in mind when you think of good storytelling. Maybe Spielberg is more your style? Or maybe PTA? But Snyder has his own voice and a bunch of people respond to it positively. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just opinion afterall. There's no textbook answer on what makes a good movie.

They're just movies buddy. One man's Citizen Kane is another man's Deep Blue Sea.

WB's take on the DC Universe is already a loss IMO,

I don't care about Box Office talk to just like Sales-Age talk.

the MvS is total shit and unenjoyable, the movie has dozens of problems.

Character's motivation is glaring problem #1: why are they doing what they are doing?
Why is Lex Luther a Satan Worshipper (Darkeid Worshiper?) I don't get it.

Why is Bruce Wayne easily manipulated by angry mail? WTF?

Why did Lex Luther design all the Superhero Logos for Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman? he should have been a Graphic Designer instead of an evil billionaire

Wonder Woman being parachuted into the movie without any propper introduction and compelling reason of WHY NOW? Why not ever before? Where was she before? Why the hold out?
Wonder Woman felt like Obama doing nothing about Russian hackers meddling in the election campaign but only doing something in AFTER everything was alrady broken.

And the worst of all, Superman is used like a PROP to the point that he is characterless and unhuman to the point we don't care about him. THAT is the worst part of the movie

TDLink

I think Snyder is a good director. He is just given too much power on the creative side. Don't let him near the script and he's better than fine.

Zyzyxxz

Why are people against the gritty and darker tone that the recent DCU movies have taken? Seems to be a common slant against and I'm curious as to why some feel that way?

I'm not a huge comic book reader and I have personally never really liked the light tone often childish atmosphere in some of the Marvel movies.

Litan

I wouldn't hold my breath. Marvel has that Oblivion level-scaling shit going on to justify Black Widow, Hawkguy, and Falcon's existence in the A team. Hell, everything's so normalized they managed to make the most OP super-power look boring (Quicksilver's speed)

Thor 3 & Thanos might change that, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a super-powered fight, because I prefer the action to be more grounded even when there's a lot of power being displayed on-screen.

I hated the trinity vs Doomsday, for example and I think every superhero team should have at least one member who isn't a superbeing. What would JL be without Batman?

Anung

Un Rama
Why are people against the gritty and darker tone that the recent DCU movies have taken? Seems to be a common slant against and I'm curious as to why some feel that way?

I'm not a huge comic book reader and I have personally never really liked the light tone often childish atmosphere in some of the Marvel movies.

It's just that they've doubled down on the darkness to often comical extreme. Nolan films are often described as gritty and dark but there's still levity to break it up and there's still hope. Synder thought Batman should get raped in prison. It's a 90's view of darkness that's edgy to a fault.

Plus character appropriateness. Having an entire cinematic universe built around what works for Batman is pretty silly.

Dark =/= mature

Also, DC characters most people remember (save from comic fans) are moral and positive roles. Seeing them as these dark anti heroes clashes with the basis of the characters for a lot of people.

Its pretty simple. The guy knows how to tell a story with style and grace. Sure, you probably have something different in mind when you think of good storytelling. Maybe Spielberg is more your style? Or maybe PTA? But Snyder has his own voice and a bunch of people respond to it positively. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just opinion afterall. There's no textbook answer on what makes a good movie.

They're just movies buddy. One man's Citizen Kane is another man's Deep Blue Sea.
Those people would be considered idiots and have their opinions discounted in pretty much any serious discussion about movies going forward.

Skelter

Banned
Code:
[URL="http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2016"]8	Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice	WB	$330,360,194	4,256	$166,007,347	4,242	3/25	6/16[/URL]

It's like GAF thinks WB cares about the properties. Nope, only thing that matters is money.

The Kree

Banned
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a super-powered fight, because I prefer the action to be more grounded even when there's a lot of power being displayed on-screen.

I hated the trinity vs Doomsday, for example and I think every superhero team should have at least one member who isn't a superbeing. What would JL be without Batman?

They'd be completely unstoppable.

Jigorath

Banned
JL started shooting right after BvS premiered so there wasn't any time to switch things around. Yeah BvS made money but I'm pretty sure it did less than everyone expected. It had a huge opening thanks to the brand power but awful legs due to the quality. If JL disappoints as well then they kind of have to switch things up for JL2.

Garlador

While this is the correct answer, it's also a stupid reason.

Because a better director could also deliver on time, respect and understand the source material better, and the films could make even MORE money.

It's misinformation that keeps getting repeated for some reason.
It's out of context... but the actual context isn't exactly glowing either. He was talking about Watchmen, but it also shows sort of where his mindset is.

Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go.

Litan

He brings a means for them to be better heroes with coordination. Resources and uses his intelligence to solve their problems and when the fighting gets too rough he could pop out the hellbat suit
Basically, he's the team's tactician and troubleshooter.

He's... good at his job? Like, actually directing the movie.

I mean, I don't like the DCEU much but I would say MoS and BvS seem to be well realized from a technical standpoint. The fact that the script and editing are a mess doesn't strictly have anything to do with Snyder himself, that's a pretty reductionist view IMO.

If anything is other areas where Snyder isn't involved that are dragging these movies down, I mean, what's Suicide Squad's actual story? Why did anyone think it was good?

I'm not saying that I want to see Batman get raped in prison because rape is a horrible thing, but I do not not want to see Batman get raped in prison.
Though I always assumed that out of all the normal humans in the DCEU, Batman would be the most rape-proof. Why would anyone even attempt to rape Batman, especially this angry murderous version of Batman? Especially in prison where you might have the numbers, but you most likely wouldn't have the weapons or strategy to overpower him?
Batman without his suit and his gadgets is still a dangerous motherfucker. You better think twice before you even think of raping the Dark Knight.

The usual responses from DC-GAF here are hilarious as always. Keep defending guys!

The question is: WHO would they replace him with? JL was started filming in April 2016 (or was it March?) By the time WB realized they should have dumped him it was too late. To replace Snyder at that point would have required a delay in production, possibly for months. This would've fucked up the actor's work schedules, costs for renting sound stages, and God knows how much other shit. On top of this, any new director, at least a competent one, might have asked for script rewrites, which would've delayed for even longer.

TLDR: Replacing Snyder at this point would cost far more time and money than just sticking with him and praying for the best.

What it should have made is irrelevant.

Clearly it wasn't to WB, or else they wouldn't be scrambling to change the tone of Justice League and making Ben Affleck EP to reign in Snyder.

shoreu

Also a certified sanctimonious jerk who thinks he's better than Superman. He's scared to get his hands dirty so he uses the league to do the job for him.

4149010-untitled.png

These suits and his brain make him justice league level. And bruce is broody but he hasn't been written as cocky in a while

But more importantly where are you getting this interpretation of batman from? He doesn't use them they are actually his friends whom he respects. And he's not scared to do anything I mean look at this crazy shit.

hidys

I'm not saying that I want to see Batman get raped in prison because rape is a horrible thing, but I do not not want to see Batman get raped in prison.
Though I always assumed that out of all the normal humans in the DCEU, Batman would be the most rape-proof. Why would anyone even attempt to rape Batman, especially this angry murderous version of Batman? Especially in prison where you might have the numbers, but you most likely wouldn't have the weapons or strategy to overpower him?
Batman without his suit and his gadgets is still a dangerous motherfucker. You better think twice before you even think of raping the Dark Knight.

This would be before he became Batman. I'm Snyder's view his getting raped in prison would be part of his origin story. It's such a weird thing to say that kind of demonstrates he has a very poor understanding of superheroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom