• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

Hopefully some of the other sites will run this by their sources soon, and maybe we can get some further corroboration... I would feel more comfortable with it if there were two sites saying the same thing

Log4Girlz

I can imagine a 3D angry birds clone on this thing. You have a sling shot on the screen and you just wind up and fling something onto your big screen. If its haptic, then maybe you can feel the feathers lol.

The whole feel rumor was part of the early Revolution rumors IIRC. "Touching is good, but feeling is better" I think someone here started that lol

Majine said:
07aa5994b9bbfd8785ab8de7589b843b_n.jpg

It's like the E's are faces laughing that they know it's a fake.

Boney

Banned
AceBandage said:
Nintendo is going to work with outside companies for their online.
And some fake thing about Haptic Touchscreen.
yeah saw that from the iwata stuff, pretty cool

wanted more juicy stuff like, nintendo actually found osama with cafe or something

Emitan

Pikmin replaced with your terrorist militia who are ready and willing to throw themselves at enemies and suicide to further your goals. Oh wait-

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I love how you guys dismiss these rumors from loading.se and than go back to discussing your IGN ones. :lol

It's called selective hearing.

AceBandage said:
Nintendo is going to work with outside companies for their online.
And some fake thing about Haptic Touchscreen.
Everyone keeps assuming for some reason that haptic technology only applies to touchscreens. And that's a rather lame use of haptic tech - the REAL awesome use is force-feedback. IE, the joystick is able to move on its own, so it can either fight your thumb or help it, or try to pull it in a different direction. This is the true future of video gaming in my opinion - heck, we've had force-feedback steering wheels forever.

Imagine a Mario game - you are running along, everything's normal. You run into a wall, and the thumbstick immediately stops and maybe even recoils a slight bit in the opposite direction you were holding. You step onto a slope and the thumbstick starts pulling down in the direction of the slope - if you want to climb up the slope or move across it without going up or down you have to fight the stick a bit (not much, just enough to feel like you are fighting gravity), if you want to go down the slope the stick's helps you.

Skiesofwonder said:
I love how you guys dismiss these rumors from loading.se and than go back to discussing your IGN ones. :lol

Haptic Touchscreen isn't happening.
That's just insane. It's like the sites that were reporting the holographic projector in the Revolution.
Dreamwriter said:
Everyone keeps assuming for some reason that haptic technology only applies to touchscreens. And that's a rather lame use of haptic tech - the REAL awesome use is force-feedback. IE, the joystick is able to move on its own, so it can either fight your thumb or help it, or try to pull it in a different direction. This is the true future of video gaming in my opinion - heck, we've had force-feedback steering wheels forever.

Imagine a Mario game - you are running along, everything's normal. You run into a wall, and the thumbstick immediately stops and maybe even recoils a slight bit in the opposite direction you were holding. You step onto a slope and the thumbstick starts pulling down in the direction of the slope - if you want to climb up the slope or move across it without going up or down you have to fight the stick a bit (not much, just enough to feel like you are fighting gravity), if you want to go down the slope the stick's helps you.

The rumor is specifically about being able to feel textures.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why is a haptic touchscreen such a longshot idea? It seems perfectly reasonable.

Emitan

Skiesofwonder said:

I had a really bad Computer Data Structures teacher from Sweden last semester. And Minecraft has started acting up on my computer. Obviously nothing good comes from Sweden.

I kid, I kid. I have a mancrush on Jinro and really want to go to Sweden some day.
AceBandage said:
That's just insane. It's like the sites that were reporting the holographic projector in the Revolution.

Yeah. Remember when the Revolution had a secret holo projector? Oh wait, that was an SD card slot.

Emitan

From The Dust said:
the Revolution was promised to lick my balls. 5 years later, I still have dry balls. WTF Nintendo?
You were supposed to play Wii Fit to get sweaty. And then your balls wouldn't be dry anymore.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
AceBandage said:

Umm... Please explain how haptic feedback is any more crazy then streaming next-gen graphics to four different controllers at the same time?

Haptic feedback technology has been around since before the Wii was even announced, and today can be sold at a consumer-friendly price. A biometric/haptic feedback controller sounds much more feasible and nintendo-like to me then any of the rumors before it.

Now I'm not saying the previous rumors were false, or that even these new ones are true. Hell, maybe all of them are correct, making for one unbelievably badass controller! But point being, I really don't see how it's any more "insane" than the other rumors.

Because streaming video has been around for decades and is simple to do.
Having your controller be able to simulate the feel of grass or leather or fur... that's pretty out there stuff. Even for Nintendo.
And I can't even begin to fathom the cost of this game controller with that. I mean, just an LCD screen and a little CPU and RAM is already pushing it.

Skiesofwonder said:

The problem with the loading.se ones is that their primary rumor smells like bullshit. The primary IGN ones seem to either be common sense or resonate with other rumors. It could just be that we're reading too much into the loading.se rumors - vibrating the controller when hitting a touchscreen button is done all the time, and it's technically haptic feedback. It might be all that they're talking about, and if that's the case, then they're blowing way out of proportion.

Krowley

Well I'm not going to flat-out dismiss the haptic rumor; if people say loading.de is a credible site, it probably is.

The big difference between this rumor and the IGN stuff for me is the question of corroboration. There are several sites talking about the touchscreen stuff. Not just IGN.

This thing about haptic feedback is only on loading.de. In many ways it fits with the other rumors, but it also seems a little bit "pie in the sky." If a couple of other credible sites pipe up with similar information, I'll take it more seriously.

Apparently advanced haptic technology is being designed for things like mobile phones, so it probably isn't that expensive. It would not shock me if this was true, but for now, I'm still kind of iffy on it.

KevinCow

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

I've wanted something like this for a while. Also in buttons and triggers. Like in an FPS, you could have a revolver. You could fire it without cocking it, but the trigger would be harder to press. Or you could cock it, and the trigger would be really easy to press. In a driving game, you could feel the road through your gas and brake, especially if you have to slam on the brake. Maybe in an action-adventure game, an enemy could have a spell that disabled certain functions, and as a result the button on your controller would become impossible to press.

Highly unlikely that this will ever happen, and I don't think I'd want to pay too much more for a novelty like that, but it would be neat if it could be done cheaply.

BMF said:
vibrating the controller when hitting a touchscreen button is done all the time, and it's technically haptic feedback. It might be all that they're talking about, and if that's the case, then they're blowing way out of proportion.
But... that's all it needs to be, once you swap the spinning off balance weight for piezoelectric actuators.
Whether anything amazing could be done affordably is another matter, but vibration is the basis for most haptic screen concepts.

DatBreh

Banned
Dreamwriter said:

What are are describing will cause nothing but broken thumbsticks. Having the controller pull the stick one direction while a much stronger human jerks it in another is just spelling disaster.

DatBreh said:
What are are describing will cause nothing but broken thumbsticks. Having the controller pull the stick one direction while a much stronger human jerks it in another is just spelling disaster.

Not really. There can be a safeguard in place so that excessive force overcomes the resistance without any kind of damage.

Emitan

It's still going to wear down the stick much more quickly. Unless Nintendo is open to people replacing sticks themselves (lolno) it's not going to happen.

Billychu said:
It's still going to wear down the stick much more quickly. Unless Nintendo is open to people replacing sticks themselves (lolno) it's not going to happen.
It can be done with electromagnets and no moving parts, pulling a slide pad on two axes. Not a chance though.
Still wary of any haptic rumours thanks to the revolution ones.

Graphics Horse said:
Still wary of any haptic rumours thanks to the revolution ones.
The only haptic rumors worth considering are the ones that state that Nintendo is experimenting with the technology.

It will be seen in some consumer product (think something like Microsoft Surface) before it's available on a Nintendo game console.

Lenardo

Banned
network wise

hesitate to say it but a killer linkup- besides Steamworks would be.....

Battle.net

imagine the reaction to that..
and oh the reaction if they announced for the "release" of cafe that starcraft II would be a release "port" & that all the original games(wacraft 1-3, diablo- would be avail as downloadable content.

or heck even for a bigger blow your mind would be diablo 3 on it@ release...

this is not a rumor, just idle speculation on my part since everyone seems to be all for steamworks, it occured to me that battle.net could have as big or bigger impact that steamworks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom