• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Annoying Old Party Man said:
I wonder what's next...
The touch feedback stuff isn't too out there this time around, it's not something which needs to phisically reshape the surface. It seems like there is still a secret feature to the controller, so it could be that or it could be motion/stylus related.

Hiltz

The small text is the only legit complaint about Monster Hunter Tri.

Capcom started development of the game as a PS3 exclusive. However, the game was moved over to the Wii because of its unique, intuitive controller as a way to attract casual gamers.Ironically, the Wii remote controls make the game more difficult to play with when compared to using the Classic Controller Pro, at least in my opinion. In addition, Capcom felt that the cost of PS3 development for the title was too expensive.

The game isn't broken. The fact is, you have yet to get used to the controls and understand how combat works. The lack of Z-targeting makes the combat more strategic, intense, and challenging. Besides, the camera system works extremely well given how you're fighting against gigantic monsters that can take up half of the screen and are constantly moving around. The combat is very demanding because it isn't a hack and slash type of game.

You're expected to observe monster behavior so that you can ultimately predict their attacks so you'll know when and where it is safe to attack them, when you need to dodge and/or block, and when it is temporarily safe to use items. Naturally, the game is going to be more difficult if you play solo because the monster is only going to be focused on attacking you. However, in online mode, monsters will random

Expert players can be so good at the game that they do not even need the use of armor and only rely on dodging and/or armor skills in order to successfully defeat monsters. The game takes time to master, but its challenging and complex gameplay proves to be very rewarding and addictive.

dwu8991

Banned
Hiltz said:
The small text is the only legit complaint about Monster Hunter Tri.

Capcom started development of the game as a PS3 exclusive. However, the game was moved over to the Wii because of its unique, intuitive controller as a way to attract casual gamers.Ironically, the Wii remote controls make the game more difficult to play with when compared to using the Classic Controller Pro, at least in my opinion. In addition, Capcom felt that the cost of PS3 development for the title was too expensive.

The game isn't broken. The fact is, you have yet to get used to the controls and understand how combat works. The lack of Z-targeting makes the combat more strategic, intense, and challenging. Besides, the camera system works extremely well given how you're fighting against gigantic monsters that can take up half of the screen and are constantly moving around. The combat is very demanding because it isn't a hack and slash type of game.

You're expected to observe monster behavior so that you can ultimately predict their attacks so you'll know when and where it is safe to attack them, when you need to dodge and/or block, and when it is temporarily safe to use items. Naturally, the game is going to be more difficult if you play solo because the monster is only going to be focused on attacking you. However, in online mode, monsters will random

Expert players can be so good at the game that they do not even need the use of armor and only rely on dodging and/or armor skills in order to successfully defeat monsters. The game takes time to master, but its challenging and complex gameplay proves to be very rewarding and addictive.

I'm using the wii remote + nunchuck but will get a pro controller instead!

wsippel

Banned
I believe there was a Nintendo patent a few years ago regarding some sort of "haptic" touchscreen. It was simply a small vibration motor, similar to those used in cellphones or the Wiimote, mounted between the case and the display array. Should be incredibly cheap and probably good enough.

Double it from 8GB to 16GB and then we're in business. 8GB seems way too low if Nintendo wants to compete in third party releases and all the DLC that comes with them these days.

Log4Girlz

disappeared said:
Double it from 8GB to 16GB and then we're in business. 8GB seems way too low if Nintendo wants to compete in third party releases and all the DLC that comes with them these days.

Iwata *laughs* You want how many gigglebytes?

Prez

disappeared said:

8GB of what? I don't see that number anywhere in this thread?

edit: oh, that's in the other thread. I'm not really following the info on this thing.

Shiggy

Majine said:
Exclusive leakage on Loading.se

07aa5994b9bbfd8785ab8de7589b843b_n.jpg

[Partly in English. I'll translate the rest.]

Exclusively for Loading.se, A source close to Nintendo has all the information regarding the company's next home console.

June 7th is the date that everyone has been waiting for. Nintendo unveils their next home console at E3 in Los Angeles. But Loading can already now reveal some of the hottest (and most trustworthy) rumors about the machine. This is all we got to know about Nintendo Feel.

Our source, who has a close connection to the company, speaks about the console in a conversation with us. We choose to deliver the information unedited and untranslated [from Eng to Swe]:

– Nintendo wants to change the way we play – again. The success of Wii was essentially proof that the controller is every bit as important as graphical technology. When Nintendo unveils its next piece of hardware on June 7th, the presentation will be as much about the feel, as the look, of its new games. The revolutionary aspect will once again be found in the controller itself.

After Touch comes Feel
We already know Nintendo is developing a controller with a built-in screen. Since that info got leaked there have been paralels between Apple's iPad and how Nintendo used the GBA as a controller for a few Gamecube-games. But this new "Screen-controller" brings another dimension - Feel. Our source uses the name "Nintendo Feel"

– Haptic technology is a form of tactile feedback used to simulate the experience of touching different objects shown on screen. The player can move their fingertips across a surface and clearly feel the difference between soft, smooth or rugged textures. Electronic companies across the world have been conducting research in this field for years. It’s been rumored that Apple is close to patenting a similar technology, and we’ve seen the Toshiba demonstration of ‘New Sensation UI Solution’, that applies a thin film over a screen in order to achieve a haptic effect. In Nintendo’s case, this is a natural progression of both the Nintendo DS touch screen and the Wii technology.

Hardcore meets Casual
After having recieved the information on Nintendo Feel from our source we have gotten confirmation that the technology exists. Toshiba seems to have shown it to the public and we have had a Novint Falcon in the office for a long time. Novint was one of the first companies to introduce haptic feedback to the gaming world.

According to our source the work for the new console has been going on for a few years, and throughout this whole time the goal has been to create an as direct and easy-to-understand concept as the Wii.

– You have to try Nintendo Feel to really understand. But the idea itself is very easy to sell, no matter if you are aiming for hardcore players or the wider audience that was first introduced to games through DS, Wii or Kinect.

And sure, anyone can suddenly realize the feeling of fur agains the fingertips would do for Nintendogs. You don't have to be unfamiliar to The Legend of Zelda to understand the epicness in drawing patterns in a desert, feeling the breeze from a lake, the burning sensation from lava or realizing the structure of a very old tree.

At the same time, Nintendo Feel is an experience that doesn't want to explain itself in words, but rather tell the player through his hands. Which is probably why Nintendo will bring playable demos to E3, even tho the finished console won't be available until 2012.

All visions in one

Nintendo Feel is on many levels a summary of all the grand visions Nintendo has had during the latest gaming generation. Starting with the Rumble Pack for the Nintendo 64, Nintendo gave the player physical feedback through the controller, and 2006 they started the concept "Touch Generations" to marked the Wii and DS to a whole new audience. If we get to see a "Feel Generations" marketing remains to be seen, but one thing is sure: The new console is an extension of the idea of more intuitive controllmethods.

Also the individual screens revived the "Connectivity" concept launched during the Gamecube/GBA era. A concept that never got the impact Nintendo was hoping for. Our source says:

– Remember Vitality Sensor? It will most likely make a comeback at this year’s E3, though not as a peripheral for Wii, but as a key feature of Nintendo Feel.

And yet another puzzlepiece.

END

Some notes from me:

Don't put too much attention to the name. It could just be a name that developers are calling it for all we know. Nowhere in the article does it clearly say "This IS the name".

Loading.se is a very reliable news source. They would never intend to decieve people. It is more likely they got wrong info, but even that sounds farfetched. Compared to the other rumors flying around, I'd say this is the best lead we got. This is coming from an avid user.

Interesting.

Shiggy said:
Interesting.

Spill!

BTW - the mention elsewhere of Nintendo hiring hand models for a Cafe promo to be shown at E3 is interesting, as it suggests a focus on interaction with the controller in promotional material again.

Gotta be honest, my initial reaction is very "meh" on the Nintendo "Feel" stuff. It would just be another baby step towards VR gaming that won't really be put to use in a way that truly impresses me. Hell, all the motion gaming we gotten in 5 years since the Wii released has yet to impress me.

Woffls

Not so sure about this one. How are you going to get haptic feedback if you're using the buttons all the time and not the touch screen? I guess it would be cool for puzzle solving or navigating in areas where you can't see your surroundings, but this doesn't seem right to me.

They would blatantly call it "Fiil", though. Reggie Fiils Aime, durr hurr :p

Raide

lazybones18 said:
Okay.....I'm currently at a loss of words right now after reading that article

Not sure what to think myself. On the one hand it sounds awesome and utterly new for home consoles, on the other hand do the CoD players Nintendo are trying to get, really care about the advanced controller features?

Metallix

Banned
Interesting.

This is definitely getting me even MORE excited for E3.

I wonder how third parties would utilize the haptic technology?

Azure J

OK, trying to catch back up from where I last was with Cafe rumors (the last major IGN column on it) and, I-- what? My mind is too full of fuck now.

LM4sure

Banned
Hmm...not sure how this haptic technology will enhance gameplay. The nintendogs example is a good one, but it sounds like it'll mostly appeal to the casual crowd. Touching shit doesn't exactly sound exciting to me.

LM4sure said:
Touching shit doesn't exactly sound exciting to me.

Not unless you're a coprophile...

;-)

Anyway, haptic tech does sound interesting but I can't see too many applications for it just now - or at least none that I think would be worth the cost of including it.

MYE

Metallix said:
I wonder how third parties would utilize the haptic technology?

They would fall short of Nintendo's efforts.

Graphics Horse said:
Just Shiggy quoting the earlier post.

Shiggy knows things, although I'm not sure what exactly.

Interesting

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
LM4sure said:
Hmm...not sure how this haptic technology will enhance gameplay. The nintendogs example is a good one, but it sounds like it'll mostly appeal to the casual crowd. Touching shit doesn't exactly sound exciting to me.

Would also be a very odd thing to apply to a console, when it's not the television you will be touching. The benefits of the haptics (which isn't really much more exciting than a rumble pack for your finger) is diminished by the disconnect of television from controller.

To make this rumour more believable you should throw in the Wi 2 won't connect to a television at all, and watch the sparks fly.

at least we only have a month or so of this crazy speculation.

Nintendo 'Feel' just doesn't sound legit to me. I love me some haptics, but that bit about the vitality sensor seems to go against public comments just recently about them putting that back into R+D until they can make it work for more people than it currently does.

plagiarize said:

Nintendo 'Feel' just doesn't sound legit to me. I love me some haptics, but that bit about the vitality sensor seems to go against public comments just recently about them putting that back into R+D until they can make it work for more people than it currently does.
FiiL

Caramello

plagiarize said:

Yup! They should have left that bit out of their rumour, people may have believed it for longer.

Micerider

Always-honest said:

Maybe they hope to "FiiL" their pockets with fresh money, that would certainly re-invegorate the sleeping "wii" in their panties. But I DS...er...digress

Out with low-level Nintendo console names jokes now :D

Micerider said:
Out with low-level Nintendo console names jokes now :D

Fiil would be dangerously close to Fail. But I'd go along with Majine's comment at the end of the post about not taking the name too seriously, it sounds more like it would be relating to the controller than the console name, like remote, pointer, nunchuck. (Feel pad? I don't know)

Micerider

Graphics Horse said:
Fiil would be dangerously close to Fail. But I'd go along with Majine's comment at the end of the post about not taking the name too seriously, it sounds more like it would be relating to the controller than the console, like remote, pointer, nunchuck.

I do not know what kind of sensitivity they are aiming at with their new console, but should the "Hardcore+casual" Philosophy be confirmed, "Fiil" or "Feel" would certainly not make it . Wii generated enough running gag as it is.

Otherwise, I'm quite pleased that (should any of this be confirmed) they would still strive for an original approach. The longtime gamer in my heart would expect a power-house, but in the end, that would duplicate the purpose of other consoles and would not add much to the gaming scene. So trying new approaches as they did for the DS and Wii is stellar and I would encourage that (event after the semi-deception the Wii left on my side).

gerg

"Feel" is such a bad name that I doubt that Nintendo would use it.

"Can I have a Feel please?"
"I can't find anywhere that will give me a Feel!"

Of course, "Wii" also allowed for some puerile jokes and puns, but at least the spelling was different.

There's likely half a dozen names being shopped around for the system.
I also don't think Feel would be a good marketing point.
Wii was at least its own word when it came out.
Feel is just generic silliness.

MYE

gerg said:
"Feel" is such a bad name that I doubt that Nintendo would use it.

"Can I have a Feel please?"
"I can't find anywhere that will give me a Feel!"

Could be usefull in court.

"She asked for it, your Honor"

gerg

Interfectum said:
Nintendo called their last system the "Wii"

If they can make that name work, they can make any name work.

Perhaps, but there are some differences between "Wii" and "Feel", namely that the former wasn't actually a word before Nintendo used it, and that only in the UK does "wee" really mean to urinate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom