• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
gerg said:
Perhaps, but there are some differences between "Wii" and "Feel", namely that the former wasn't actually a word before Nintendo used it, and that only in the UK does "wee" really mean to urinate.

wee means pissing here in America too. it also sounds like we and qui. makes sense in a marketing perspective. though there were the pee jokes

Chao

corpa said:
Here goes an opinion article of a spanish media, that says the feature of the new controller is a trackpad, yes A TRACKPAD like NGP back:

http://www.juegosdb.com/juegos/nint...ject-cafe-wii-2-y-su-posible-nuevo-mando.html

I know the journalist that has written this, as an opinion because of his sources are under NDA, and I trust him.

It makes sense on many levels, as having a touchscreen on the back of the pad is the only position that allows for usage of the trackpad while also sticking to the buttons.
A touchscreen in the front of the pad requires continuous adjustements in your grip. It's uncomfortable.
The console could be streaming to the screen, and the trackpad in the back could simply mirror it.

VisanidethDM said:
It makes sense on many levels, as having a touchscreen on the back of the pad is the only position that allows for usage of the trackpad while also sticking to the buttons.
A touchscreen in the front of the pad requires continuous adjustements in your grip. It's uncomfortable.
The console could be streaming to the screen, and the trackpad in the back could simply mirror it.

Nintendo copying Sony?

Mojojo

AceBandage said:
So, Nintendo Power is teasing Sonic Generations for next month.
Could this be the first Cafe game we see?
Probably not, it's for the 20th anniversay (this year), and Cafe is next year... I just hope it's a unique Wii game like Colors and not a Generation downgrade.

Woffls

corpa said:
Here goes an opinion article of a spanish media, that says the feature of the new controller is a trackpad, yes A TRACKPAD like NGP back:
No, just no. Trackpads have hardly any use for gaming, and it's a massive contradiction to what people have said about the touch screen.

corpa said:

http://www.juegosdb.com/juegos/nint...ject-cafe-wii-2-y-su-posible-nuevo-mando.html

I know the journalist that has written this, as an opinion because of his sources are under NDA, and I trust him.

so:

6" screen
touch-enabled
trackpad
standard dual analog layout
accelerometer/gyroscope
streams games

are we still talking about Nintendo or just the NGP?

VisanidethDM said:

So, what now - a controller with dual analogues, buttons, triggers, wireless, IR sensors of some sort, a screen on the front being fed a stream from the system and a touchpad on the reverse? Plus possibly some kind of gyro/accelerometer setup?

Serious case of blind men and the elephant here, I think...

corpa

VisanidethDM said:
It makes sense on many levels, as having a touchscreen on the back of the pad is the only position that allows for usage of the trackpad while also sticking to the buttons. A touchscreen in the front of the pad requires continuous adjustements in your grip. It's uncomfortable. The console could be streaming to the screen, and the trackpad in the back could simply mirror it.

Well, implemented like the apple´s magic trackpad in a controller with a left stick and triggers, I think it could be more ergonomic than NGP Trackpad.

I recomend to read the article (sorry for no translate, text is too long and im too lazy ¬¬U), it makes sense.

After all, E3 is close, we´ll see there.

TunaLover said:
But that was just doubling a feature created for Nintendo, same as the dual rumble pack.

Dual analog gives more possibilities for 3D games than one analog, which is why it is the standard. It absolutely is a new feature and it's silly to try to spin it as otherwise.

Innovation is besides the point anyway. Sony "doubled the feature" well before Nintendo did. It's fair to say Nintendo copied.

No, the Spanish article seems to be on the basis of completely ruling out a screen in the controller, unless my Google Translate skills are lacking.

I'll keep my expectation low to avoid disappointment:
500 MB storage
UMD
2GB RAM
480i maximum
NES pad with monochrome screen
GameSpy architecture + friend codes

DXB-KNIGHT said:
500 MB storage
UMD
2GB RAM
480i maximum

28.8k dial-up modem
Game Boy Camera

...Sorry, the camera might be wishful thinking.

DXB-KNIGHT said:
500 MB storage
UMD
2GB RAM
480i maximum

I thought you wanted to avoid disappointment

I hear the controller will have

a camera
an image processor
audio playback
RAM
accellerometers
rumble
bluetooth
AA batteries
and an expansion port!

lol

TunaLover

H_Prestige said:
Dual analog gives more possibilities for 3D games than one analog, which is why it is the standard. It absolutely is a new feature and it's silly to try to spin it as otherwise.

Innovation is besides the point anyway. Sony "doubled the feature" well before Nintendo did. It's fair to say Nintendo copied.

Not really, in Super Mario 64 Nintendo already had a camera system controlled by the C-buttons, kinda like a second stick, so I could say that Sony just replace the C-buttons and put a stick in its place, that's more an improvement, not a creation.

15MqZ.jpg

Hope we actually get a detachable screen.

Cosmonaut X said:
So, what now - a controller with dual analogues, buttons, triggers, wireless, IR sensors of some sort, a screen on the front being fed a stream from the system and a touchpad on the reverse? Plus possibly some kind of gyro/accelerometer setup?

Serious case of blind men and the elephant here, I think...

I know, I know, but it still makes more sense than a touchscreen, and is possibly more economical too.

Raide said:
Not sure what to think myself. On the one hand it sounds awesome and utterly new for home consoles, on the other hand do the CoD players Nintendo are trying to get, really care about the advanced controller features?

Call of Duty's main selling point might be its gunplay and that could be enhanced with this.

TunaLover said:
Not really, in Super Mario 64 Nintendo already had a camera system controlled by the C-buttons, kinda like a second stick, so I could say that Sony just replace the C-buttons and put a stick in its place, that's more an improvement, not a creation.
Virtual Boy also had dual D-pads. It's pretty obviously a direction Nintendo was already headed.

TunaLover said:

Single analog = just an improvement of the d-pad then?

Improvement or creation, it really is beside the point. Sony did it before Nintendo did it. That's all that was said.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Log4Girlz said:
That's an awesome mock-up. What I love most is how practical it is, I mean, no child would ever possibly lose the screen ;)

you could make it so the screen emitted a high pitched squeal when detached from the controllers, audible only to dogs and small children. that would solve the problem.

Log4Girlz

beelzebozo said:
you could make it so the screen emitted a high pitched squeal when detached from the controllers, audible only to dogs and small children. that would solve the problem.

I would prefer it to constantly yell "HEY!" at them.

beelzebozo said:

Surely more practical to have the child emit a high-pitched squeal when detached from the screen? After all, it's already got the built-in speaker etc. ;-)

wsippel

Banned
VisanidethDM said:
I know, I know, but it still makes more sense than a touchscreen, and is possibly more economical too.
Signs would point to both if anything. Haptic touchscreen on the front, trackpad on the back. Also dual analog, buttons, triggers, camera, IR and motion sensors. And possibly a built in vitality sensor (heart rate and possibly skin conductance monitors). Insanity.

Log4Girlz

wsippel said:
Signs would point to both if anything. Haptic touchscreen on the front, trackpad on the back. Also dual analog, buttons, triggers, camera, IR and motion sensors. And possibly a built in vitality sensor (heart rate and possibly skin conductance monitors). Insanity.

I expect a dumb NGP. I can't imagine haptic feedback or even vitality sensor functionality. Not that it wouldn't be possible, it just seems unlikely.

TunaLover

beelzebozo said:

My uncle that work in Nintendo told me that the screen has two little robotic legs, so it can walk to the main controller when it is lost.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
lunchwithyuzo said:
I'm still pulling for the Vitality Sensor. I hope it makes it in the standard controller.

you know, i DO love this idea. how hard would it be to put a heart rate monitor in the grips of the controller, at the least? they do this with treadmills and ellipticals and exercise bikes, and i can't imagine the technology is very expensive or large spatially speaking. horror games that could get crazier and crazier as your heart rate went up would be the bomb dizzle. i return again and again to the ETERNAL DARKNESS sequel that does not exist and is without peers in today's gaming climate.

Interfectum

TunaLover said:
My uncle that work in Nintendo told me that the screen has two little robotic legs, so it can walk to the main controller when it is lost.

Shit, add that to the bullet point. The Cafe controller is also self aware.

wsippel

Banned
beelzebozo said:
you know, i DO love this idea. how hard would it be to put a heart rate monitor in the grips of the controller, at the least? they do this with treadmills and ellipticals and exercise bikes, and i can't imagine the technology is very expensive or large spatially speaking. horror games that could get crazier and crazier as your heart rate went up would be the bomb dizzle. i return again and again to the ETERNAL DARKNESS sequel that does not exist and is without peers in today's gaming climate.
Heart rate would probably be harder to do than skin conductance, but both should be doable. I really hope it'll be included. I love the concept of "passive input".

Log4Girlz

beelzebozo said:

I can only imagine two genres that would benefit. Horror games and fitness game. Maybe I have a limited imagination, but I cringe at all the gimmicky stupid things developers would make their games outside those genres do for the sake of using the damn gimmick.

This is not a repeat of waggle, waggle makes a lot more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom