• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
beelzebozo said:
you know, i DO love this idea. how hard would it be to put a heart rate monitor in the grips of the controller, at the least? they do this with treadmills and ellipticals and exercise bikes, and i can't imagine the technology is very expensive or large spatially speaking. horror games that could get crazier and crazier as your heart rate went up would be the bomb dizzle. i return again and again to the ETERNAL DARKNESS sequel that does not exist and is without peers in today's gaming climate.
Survival horror is a natural fit, but it'd really work great with any high stress game; Bio-Tetris on N64 comes to mind. Competitive games could really benefit too actually (fighters, racers, fps, etc), not to mention fitness games.

Log4Girlz said:
That's an awesome mock-up. What I love most is how practical it is, I mean, no child would ever possibly lose the screen ;)

How would the screen be significantly more losable than a Wiimote or a Nunchuk?

[Nintex]

That's how Nintendo is going to fund their new online network, they're going to make money on replacement screens and controllers.

wsippel

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
I can only imagine two genres that would benefit. Horror games and fitness game. Maybe I have a limited imagination, but I cringe at all the gimmicky stupid things developers would make their games outside those genres do for the sake of using the damn gimmick.

This is not a repeat of waggle, waggle makes a lot more sense.
Left4Dead is neither horror nor fitness, and Valve experimented with similar tech in combination with their AI Director technology as far as I know. The results supposedly were very impressive. If you think about it, the ability to measure the player's stress level has applications in almost any kind of game, especially action games.

Log4Girlz said:
Too expensive, it will have one leg.

I see it now, the Cafè pad in its glory:

q4vcw.jpg

ReBurn

Gold Member
Log4Girlz said:
That's an awesome mock-up. What I love most is how practical it is, I mean, no child would ever possibly lose the screen ;)
Especially since video games aren't for kids, right? Right?

Didn't Iwata just say at the Investor Q&A that they were having trouble getting the Vitality Sensor to work uniformly for all people? Do you guys think he was bullshitting us? I don't, and I doubt that it will be a de facto feature of Cafe.

Log4Girlz

ReBurn said:
Especially since video games aren't for kids, right? Right?

Nintendo systems are designed exclusively for children. The only adults who enjoy Nintendo systems are curious senior citizens...or hipsters who will play Wii Sports for a few days and then return the Wii to the closet to gather dust and of course geeks and otakus.

;) lol

Log4Girlz

Fourth Storm said:
Didn't Iwata just say at the Investor Q&A that they were having trouble getting the Vitality Sensor to work uniformly for all people? Do you guys think he was bullshitting us? I don't, and I doubt that it will be a de facto feature of Cafe.

I think its difficult to get software that will make compelling use of a variable gimmick. I mean, its not like people's heartrate is guaranteed to increase when they see something intended to be scary but which they are desensitized to.

Edit: Sorry for double post :(

Kafel

Banned
This "padlet" (©myself) is going to be expensive.

I can see them bundling some of those with cheap software like they did with Wii Play. Padlet+Zelda Four Swords HD for $80/90 I'd say.

Father_Brain said:
http://i.imgur.com/15MqZ.jpg

Hope we actually get a detachable screen.

That would only be awesome if the controller halves can optionally attach to each other (they'd be too close together if done with the halves seen in the pic there).

ReBurn

Gold Member
Log4Girlz said:
Nintendo systems are designed exclusively for children. The only adults who enjoy Nintendo systems are curious senior citizens...or hipsters who will play Wii Sports for a few days and then return the Wii to the closet to gather dust and of course geeks and otakus.

;) lol
lol, man! I'm every one of those things!

FoneBone

AceBandage said:
So, Nintendo Power is teasing Sonic Generations for next month.
Could this be the first Cafe game we see?
Given that (a)Nintendo Power sends out its next issue before E3, and that (b) any Cafe version would be out ~6 months after the others... let's go with no. Probably a Wii/3DS Sonic Anniversary game, separate from Generations.

Kafel said:
This "padlet" (©myself) is going to be expensive.

I can see them bundling some of those with cheap software like they did with Wii Play. Padlet+Zelda Four Swords HD for $80/90 I'd say.

It could be expensive. But keeping in mind that you can purchase an Android tablet (with -- compared to the rumoured controller -- a larger LCD, a 533MHz cpu, a full camera, probably a larger battery, 256MB RAM + 2GB storage, SD card expansion with whatever chip/controller that requires, a charger, a wifi chip, and a USB adaptor) for $80, I think it's not unreasonable to assume that a much simpler device (with no real amount of memory/storage, no actual cpu -- just, you know, the minimum amount of chippage required to communicate to the base console, draw the incoming bitmap, and send back the signals from the buttons/sticks/touchzone -- likely not as great camera, smaller battery, smaller screen and then $3 worth of traces and plastic for the more conventional controller parts) could be decently cheaper, especially a year from now.

The only knock to my comparison that I see is that the tablet I'm comparing to uses a resistive screen, which I really hope Nintendo does not use on this particular controller (unless it's a resistive like this one, which is not happening).

superannuation said:
Told Nintendo filmed Cafe E3 promotional videos last week in Orange County with a bunch of seeming hand models cast "based on their hands."

The hands "had to be flawless" and "couldn't have blemishes, wrinkles or a lot of hair."

Posted yet?

http://twitter.com/#!/supererogatory/status/65239359875596289
http://twitter.com/#!/supererogatory/status/65240877387366400

FoneBone

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Posted yet?

http://twitter.com/#!/supererogatory/status/65239359875596289
http://twitter.com/#!/supererogatory/status/65240877387366400
Yes, but I think between all the Cafe threads, it's pretty much impossible for anyone to keep track.

Woffls

Told Nintendo filmed Cafe E3 promotional videos last week in Orange County with a bunch of seeming hand models cast "based on their hands."

The hands "had to be flawless" and "couldn't have blemishes, wrinkles or a lot of hair."
So this just means there's going to be a lot of focus on the controller and what's happening on it, basically? Controllers are always the selling point for Nintendo, so I don't think we can take anything new from this other than people won't be prancing about in beige rooms wearing white clothes.

[edit] Unless they're focussing on hands stroking screens and stuff. Ugh, I hope the haptic rumours are false unless it's super cheap.

Daante

Okay i dunno if this is already posted but here comes some info from Swedens biggest gaming forum "loading" (they are also behind the biggest gaming mag "LEVEL").

Their scource says the following, and also use the name Nintendo Feel (instead of Project Café)

"– Nintendo wants to change the way we play – again. The success of Wii was essentially proof that the controller is every bit as important as graphical technology. When Nintendo unveils its next piece of hardware on June 7th, the presentation will be as much about the feel, as the look, of its new games. The revolutionary aspect will once again be found in the controller itself."

Haptic technology is a form of tactile feedback used to simulate the experience of touching different objects shown on screen. The player can move their fingertips across a surface and clearly feel the difference between soft, smooth or rugged textures. Electronic companies across the world have been conducting research in this field for years. It’s been rumored that Apple is close to patenting a similar technology, and we’ve seen the Toshiba demonstration of ‘New Sensation UI Solution’, that applies a thin film over a screen in order to achieve a haptic effect. In Nintendo’s case, this is a natural progression of both the Nintendo DS touch screen and the Wii technology"

"– You have to try Nintendo Feel to really understand. But the idea itself is very easy to sell, no matter if you are aiming for hardcore players or the wider audience that was first introduced to games through DS, Wii or Kinect."

"– Remember Vitality Sensor? It will most likely make a comeback at this year’s E3, though not as a peripheral for Wii, but as a key feature of Nintendo Feel."

Here are videos that backs up that the technology exists that the scoure mentions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXITjLurof0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ1Rz2clLS0

KAL2006

Banned
Daante said:
Okay i dunno if this is already posted but here comes some info from Swedens biggest gaming forum "loading" (they are also behind the biggest gaming mag "LEVEL").

Their scource says the following, and also use the name Nintendo Feel (instead of Project Café)

"– Nintendo wants to change the way we play – again. The success of Wii was essentially proof that the controller is every bit as important as graphical technology. When Nintendo unveils its next piece of hardware on June 7th, the presentation will be as much about the feel, as the look, of its new games. The revolutionary aspect will once again be found in the controller itself."

Haptic technology is a form of tactile feedback used to simulate the experience of touching different objects shown on screen. The player can move their fingertips across a surface and clearly feel the difference between soft, smooth or rugged textures. Electronic companies across the world have been conducting research in this field for years. It’s been rumored that Apple is close to patenting a similar technology, and we’ve seen the Toshiba demonstration of ‘New Sensation UI Solution’, that applies a thin film over a screen in order to achieve a haptic effect. In Nintendo’s case, this is a natural progression of both the Nintendo DS touch screen and the Wii technology"

"– You have to try Nintendo Feel to really understand. But the idea itself is very easy to sell, no matter if you are aiming for hardcore players or the wider audience that was first introduced to games through DS, Wii or Kinect."

"– Remember Vitality Sensor? It will most likely make a comeback at this year’s E3, though not as a peripheral for Wii, but as a key feature of Nintendo Feel."

Here are videos that backs up that the technology exists that the scoure mentions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXITjLurof0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ1Rz2clLS0

That is something that would have been cool for NGP, iPhone and iPad. I have mentioned haptic a long time ago on NeoGAF

AceBandage said:
So, Nintendo Power is teasing Sonic Generations for next month.
Could this be the first Cafe game we see?

I have my doubts, but it would be a huge honor for Sega (they deserve it), look at Red Steel, I think the GI unveiling did something very special for it; showing what the Revolution was possibly capable of (bullshots aside).

Penguin

I don't know if this has been posted, nor does it say much really, but thought was interesting

“When we launch our new home system sometime in 2012 we think the consumer buying in will look very different than the consumer who’s going to be buying a Wii now,” Fil-Aime claimed. “What we’ve seen in this business it that there are certain consumers who love being first – they have to have the absolute latest hardware – and there are other consumers that are perfectly happy to wait until the game library is much more robust and they have a wider range of options.”

http://www.nintendo-universe.co.uk/...-different-to-those-currently-buying-the-wii/

Penguin said:
I don't know if this has been posted, nor does it say much really, but thought was interesting

http://www.nintendo-universe.co.uk/...-different-to-those-currently-buying-the-wii/

I haven't seen that before. This seems to be the first real sign from Nintendo that they're going after a different crowd with the Cafe than they did with the Wii. Perhaps the initial reports of Nintendo catering to the traditional gaming crowd were true and they are "doing it right" this time. Very interesting nonetheless.

Penguin

brochiller said:
I haven't seen that before. This seems to be the first real sign from Nintendo that they're going after a different crowd with the Cafe than they did with the Wii. Perhaps the initial reports of Nintendo catering to the traditional gaming crowd were true and they are "doing it right" this time. Very interesting nonetheless.

Wouldn't doing it right, imply.. that their current method was wrong?

Anyhow, I think this means... and loose interpretation that they will launch with a much more varied line-up, but I think most people assumed their launch would mostly consist of Ps3/360 ports.

Penguin said:
Wouldn't doing it right, imply.. that their current method was wrong?

Anyhow, I think this means... and loose interpretation that they will launch with a much more varied line-up, but I think most people assumed their launch would mostly consist of Ps3/360 ports.

"Doing it right" in terms of doing what third parties want. Which the Wii didn't really do at all.

M74

From The Dust said:
come on Nintendo. I'll take whatever your are dishing out. give me the gold!
Did you just mess up your own catchphrase?

“What we’ve seen in this business it that there are certain consumers who love being first – they have to have the absolute latest hardware – and there are other consumers that are perfectly happy to wait until the game library is much more robust and they have a wider range of options.”
This is not an excuse for not having a good launch lineup. You tried to pull that crap with the 3DS, and look at the reaction. Hopefully this isn't their way of prepping us for yet another abysmal launch cycle with Stream. Why would he even say something like this, what's the point?

Log4Girlz said:
If Nintendo isn't worried about them losing M+ or NC then why worry about a screen? :p

AceBandage said:
"Doing it right" in terms of doing what third parties want. Which the Wii didn't really do at all.

I took it as them doing what it takes to compete more directly with MS/Sony. I guess it wasn't really clear though.

ReyVGM

Which of the two friggin' Wii2 topics is gonna be the main one? I don't want to be going back and forth here.

*edit*

Yay, finally a member. I can make topics now. However, I don't know what to post anymore.

ReyVGM said:
Yay, finally a member. I can make topics now. However, I don't know what to post anymore.
News, but only if it hasn't been posted yet. Are you representing anyone in your stay here?
From The Dust said:
it has kotaku in the title. bleh
That, and it's been so thoroughly trolled by Hiro that it's not really worth visiting anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom