• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

THE:MILKMAN

Log4Girlz said:
I'm gonna repost this from another thread. With everything we know (Reference BMF's post), what do you expect from the Cafe:

Scenario 1: Xbox 360 level (not much more or less)

Scenario 2: Notch above 360 (running current gen games, regardless of complexity at 1080p)

Scenario 3: Significantly above 360 (running any current game games at 1080p, 60fps with improves textures and IQ)

Scenario 4: Next-gen .5 (Runs current-gen games as listed above, but in addition has just enough horsepower to create innovative new engines to provide graphics and performance never before seen at home, but below expectations for the next Xbox and Playstation)

Scenario 5: True Next-Gen (Xbox 720 or PS4 level, or just a hair or two below)

I'm expecting scenario 2. You will have developers who may want to show graphics beyond what the 360 can do by just lowering the resolution.

PS4 and Xbox 720 will be much less of a jump than any previous transition IMO.

Even if the Cafe is scenario 2, it should still take PS4/720 ports quite easily with less effects and 720p instead of 1080p.

29 days to go..........

JazzmanZ

Sadist said:
^_^

I love Smash, I do but I can't honestly think of what they can add in a new iteration.

They can add characters and stages from the Wii generation to the Cafe' SSB since its been like this since SSBM (where it was N64, SNES and NES stages mostly) and SSBB (which was mostly gamecube stages)

There are still characters in popular demand that still haven't become playable such as Samurai Goroh, Krystal, King k. rool., Ridely and Issac.
Theres also the the possibility of New 3rd Party guest stars like Megaman and Bomberman.

I could think of other things like a Adventure mode that uses enemies and bosses from the entire Nintendoverse or Music can be placed on any stage, but the point is there is still a lot that can be done with the series, Nintendo isn't that dumb to just drop off a megaton hit like this.

Log4Girlz

From The Dust said:
People need to stop saying the 720/PS4 will be 2x (or whatever) the current HD twins. I find it highly unlikely

IF Cafe goes for a high-end R700 part, which is a few years old as it is, they certainly won't blow the Cafe out of the water. But they will be true next-gen parts.

Darryl

Banned
JazzmanZ said:
I could think of other things like a Adventure mode that uses enemies and bosses from the entire Nintendoverse or Music can be placed on any stage, but the point is there is still a lot that can be done with the series, Nintendo isn't that dumb to just drop off a megaton hit like this.

Exactly, the series has barely even started. There's plenty of room for growth and for them to try new things. Next thing you know, we're getting 2.5D Brawl with interactive stages that are so big the only way to actually play them is by using the screen on your own personal controller. 18 vs 18. It'll be Super Smash War.

THE:MILKMAN

Don't know if this suggestion is LOL worthy or if its been discussed before but......

Could Nintendo have the GPU customised to use Eyefinity for displaying stuff on the controller?

From The Dust said:
Definintely not "next gen" leap (which to me means absolutely nothing). I do expect another GCN/Xbox/PS2 style comparison.

I would broadly agree with that.

Log4Girlz

From The Dust said:
Definintely not "next gen" leap (which to me means absolutely nothing).

I do expect another GCN/Xbox/PS2 style comparison.

If MS doesn't go full "Next-gen" with their hardware, I'm inclined to believe Sony will. They will make sure its not priced at 500 dollars and make sure they don't take a bath financially. A cheap blu-ray drive will help immensely. The NGP, though not bleeding edge technology, is still monstrously powerful.

antonz

Log4Girlz said:
If MS doesn't go full "Next-gen" with their hardware, I'm inclined to believe Sony will. They will make sure its not priced at 500 dollars and make sure they don't take a bath financially. A cheap blu-ray drive will help immensely. The NGP, though not bleeding edge technology, is still monstrously powerful.
If MS were to join Nintendo with a reasonably close console power wise while Sony decided to derp it up again it would doom Sony for sure.

If 2/3 of the consoles go in one direction the odd man out is screwed.

swerve

I hope for scenario 2, really, because that will allow it to be cheap, will give us whatever new features the controller has (working well), and will give us Nintendo first party with a visual fidelity we haven't yet known (and a reliability not provided by emulation).

If the 'wii connect 24 on a tablet controller' idea comes true, this will be a great machine for my lifestyle. I can never be bothered to turn on my 360 or PS3 anymore. There's a psychological block there, and I end up turning on the PSP or 3DS instead.

All they need do is get rid of loading screens and warnings, and it's ULTIMATE NINTENDO for me.

Akai

Log4Girlz said:
If MS doesn't go full "Next-gen" with their hardware, I'm inclined to believe Sony will. They will make sure its not priced at 500 dollars and make sure they don't take a bath financially.

So go all-out on the hardware, not price it high, yet still not make a loss? Aha...

antonz

comedy bomb said:
The Wii sold okay I think.

Thats because Nintendo had a crazy enough concept to appeal to a broader audience. If it comes down to MS/Nintendo relatively equal and Sony trying to blow them out of the water it will simply end up with MS/Nintendo being the primary source of games and Sony getting inferior ports

Log4Girlz

Akai said:
So go all-out on the hardware, not price it high, yet still not make a loss? Aha...

I didn't say go all out, I said they would make a truly next-gen system. There are murmurs that MS and Sony are considering significantly cheaper or otherwise less advanced hardware in their next iterations. If MS decides to release a system which breaks even from day 1, I fully expect Sony to create a device which is more powerful, but without going overboard with expensive shit that makes them lose shit-tons of money.

Blu-Ray won't be anywhere near as expensive. They will not try to create a custom CPU and spend billions on R&D just on it alone. They will not box a HDD with every unit, instead going for a small, cheap amount of Flash RAM. Sure its far more expensive per gigabyte, but the idea is just to put 1 little chip in there. They can just up their BOM by a few bucks per console and dedicate that mostly to the GPU and RAM, insuring both are ahead of MS' offering. Again, assuming MS designs a machine which will be profitable day 1.

EDIT: A more sophisticated GPU and say, double the RAM would go far in claiming the title of a truly next-gen machine. Gaf seems to go ape-shit when discussing RAM, and we all know console makers always skimp on that shit.

antonz said:
Thats because Nintendo had a crazy enough concept to appeal to a broader audience. If it comes down to MS/Nintendo relatively equal and Sony trying to blow them out of the water it will simply end up with MS/Nintendo being the primary source of games and Sony getting inferior ports

How exactly would they be "inferior" ports? They wouldn't make full use of the system but they'd still be the superior version.

brain_stew said:
How exactly would they be "inferior" ports? They wouldn't make full use of the system but they'd still be the superior version.

And the cafe would seemingly suffer the same fate until the next systems are released using this theory.

antonz

brain_stew said:
Thats if developers decide to invest the extra funds to take advantage of possabilities the PS4 would offer.

Developers dont even put the effort in most of the time to ensure the 360/PS3 shared games are equal and the two consoles are on relatively equal footing.

antonz said:

In that scenario, PS4 would actually get superior ports (framerate, resolution, effects), barring a bizarre, difficult-to-develop-for architecture. Whether that would actually equate to much of an advantage would depend on Sony's launch date and price relative to its competitors.

In any case, no next-gen console will get third-party exclusives solely by virtue of its specs. That era is long over.

Log4Girlz said:
I'm gonna repost this from another thread. With everything we know (Reference BMF's post), what do you expect from the Cafe:

Scenario 1: Xbox 360 level (not much more or less)

Scenario 2: Notch above 360 (running current gen games, regardless of complexity at 1080p)

Scenario 3: Significantly above 360 (running any current game games at 1080p, 60fps with improves textures and IQ)

Scenario 4: Next-gen .5 (Runs current-gen games as listed above, but in addition has just enough horsepower to create innovative new engines to provide graphics and performance never before seen at home, but below expectations for the next Xbox and Playstation)

Scenario 5: True Next-Gen (Xbox 720 or PS4 level, or just a hair or two below)

I'm expecting scenario 2. You will have developers who may want to show graphics beyond what the 360 can do by just lowering the resolution.

I'm going with four. Listening to Nintendo's current talk I don't think they will repeat what they did with the Wii in having a console at or just a step above the previous generation. If Sony and MS do decide to release earlier than expected, then scenario 5 might be more accurate since the costs of the last gen will keep MS and Sony from getting outrageous with specs.

antonz

Father_Brain said:
In that scenario, PS4 would actually get superior ports (framerate, resolution, effects), barring a bizarre, difficult-to-develop-for architecture. Whether that would actually equate to much of an advantage would depend on Sony's launch date and price relative to its competitors.

In any case, no next-gen console will get third-party exclusives solely by virtue of its specs. That era is long over.
You are right inferior probably isnt the term I should have used. Its just going to be a case of If MS and Ninty are close they will dictate the entire generation. Sony will only benefit from their own development studios on power if they go that route.

Hiltz

I think Nintendo's next-gen system will mostly likely be a notch above the 360.

Nintendo isn't a graphics whore like Sony is, but I think it would be willing to at least achieve slightly above the 360's capabilities. In Nintendo's eyes, the addition of HD support would be perceived as a big deal and a way to help make up for any of horsepower. Based on the rumors, it sounds like Nintendo is going to continue to stick with flash and not HDD, perhaps not even as an option. Hopefully, we won't see a repeat of having to "clean out the fridge" like on the Wii. Project Cafe's technology wouldn't as outdated as the Wii's but still enable Nintendo to make a profit off of the hardware.

I don't think Nintendo would go as far as supporting the next Unreal game engine even if it mean a better chance of achieving stronger and more consistent third-party support. Nintendo would perhaps try to offer other ways to entice third-parties like with an improved online service with better DLC and demo support. Of course, there's also the potentially unique features of the home console's controller as well.

Hiltz said:
I
I don't think Nintendo would go as far as supporting the next Unreal game engine even if it mean a better chance of achieving stronger and more consistent third-party support. Nintendo would perhaps try to offer other ways to entice third-parties like with an improved online service with better DLC and demo support. Of course, there's also the potentially unique features of the home console's controller as well.

what? if it's above 360, then it WILL support Unreal 3

Hiltz

But would would be the minimum specifications necessary in order to run UE3 ? For all we know, Nintendo may just try to turn Project Cafe into an Xbox 360 1.5. Would that be enough?

Hiltz said:
But would would be the minimum specifications necessary in order to run UE3 ? For all we know, Nintendo may just try to turn Project Cafe into an Xbox 360 1.5. Would that be enough?

considering UE3 already runs on the 360, 1.5x would be better

linko9

From The Dust said:
what? if it's above 360, then it WILL support Unreal 3

He's saying NEXT, as in UE4.

EDIT: NVM (I guess?) I have no idea what's going on here. Bottom line, it will support UE3, but likely not UE4.

Hiltz

That was my mistake. I said UE3 but should have said UE4 as that is the one the other next-gen platforms are going to be supporting.

linko9 said:
He's saying NEXT, as in UE4.

EDIT: NVM (I guess?) I have no idea what's going on here. Bottom line, it will support UE3, but likely not UE4.

If the Cafe doesn't then I doubt the PS4 and 720 will either, then.

if we take Samaritan as UE4, then it may be a ways away before we get a console that can pull that off in realtime. of course there may be a "lite" version of engine for consoles who doesn't have the power of a Geforce 580

wsippel

Banned
Hiltz said:
An iPhone.

linko9

The thing is, Epic has stated that the only reason they aren't calling the Samaritan engine UE4 is because they're waiting for the next generation of consoles to hit; the engine that's made to run on those consoles will be called UE4. And you can bet they're not talking about the Cafe; they're waiting for Sony and MS's next consoles. Obviously, they're only going to bother porting an engine designed to run on more powerful hardware if the Cafe ends up being the home of "hardcore" games (yeah, I hate the term, but I don't what else to say).

That really won't be up to Epic.
If UE4 can be downported to the Cafe (and it will be able to be) then third parties will use it on the system.

antonz

linko9 said:
The thing is, Epic has stated that the only reason they aren't calling the Samaritan engine UE4 is because they're waiting for the next generation of consoles to hit; the engine that's made to run on those consoles will be called UE4. And you can bet they're not talking about the Cafe; they're waiting for Sony and MS's next consoles. Obviously, they're only going to bother porting an engine designed to run on more powerful hardware if the Cafe ends up being the home of "hardcore" games (yeah, I hate the term, but I don't what else to say).

The new engine UE is working on wont be on next gen consoles in its current state.

When a demo takes 3 of the most powerful GPUs on the market its years away from Console use.

Fat Goron

I've never actually believed this..... but, hell, when I read some things, I do think we've come to a "dead end" in terms of graphics.....

I don't know... I mean, from what I've come to expect from generation leaps, Samaritan would be "pretty reasonable" for a PS4/X720..... and now you guys say there's no way we'll get that from a console by 2013/14.... If not that, then what?

It's a serious question.... what would be "great graphics" for the next generation? Battlefield 3?

Eteric Rice

Fat Goron said:
I've never actually believed this..... but, hell, when I read some things, I do think we've come to a "dead end" in terms of graphics.....

I don't know... I mean, from what I've come to expect from generation leaps, Samaritan would be "pretty reasonable" for a PS4/X720..... and now you guys say there's no way we'll get that from a console by 2013/14.... If not that, then what?

It's a serious question.... what would be "great graphics" for the next generation? Battlefield 3?

I think the limitations are due to energy cost and keeping the console in the small enough box to keep under your TV.

They technically could make a beast of a console, but it would be much bigger, and use a lot of electricity.

Fat Goron said:

The problem with Samaritan is that it's running on 3 580s. That's three of the best GPUs out on the market TODAY.
Now, let's say, theoretically, they get it running perfectly on a single 580. That 580 uses more power and heat than the entire 360 console.
Regardless of what Epic wants, the next generation of consoles are not going to run Samaritan as it is without serious neutering.

Log4Girlz

Ok, uses and ideas for a 6 inch touch-sensitive display (by all means list what you want to see as well). I like the idea of 1, 2, 7 and 9 most.

1. Using the display as a track pad, replacing the use of a mouse in games like an RTS or Tower Defense game

2. A mid-way decent keyboard. Would make social games and anything demanding typing fun. I can imagine a typing of the dead like game, but it would have to played solely on the controller.

3. Your own display during an FPS, reducing cheating in local multiplayer

4. Showing alternate camera angles. Perhaps on one screen i'm in first person view, because I think its cool, and on the second display I'm in 3rd person, giving a wider field of view. Or perhaps a top down perspective

5. Showing lesser, though still useful HUD elements in the controller. Like Radar, item durability/degradation/MAP

6. An always up inventory screen. Any item you need is a glance and touch away

7. Drawing Tablet. Imagine Mario Paint or any sort of custom art that could be added to a game

8. Alternative filter. Imagine an always on X-ray mode

9. Displaying an area in alternative state or time-line. I mentioned earlier, how about a Zelda game where you enter an area in the present, only to see the area in the past or future on the tablet. You can then tap the tablet to travel to the time displayed to solve a puzzle.

10. Having hints and tutorial elements display on the controller so they can be effectively skipped by advanced players by simply ignoring the fucking screen.

11. Playing a totally separate quest/game/section on the second display concurrently to the main screen. Imagine a game like Pikmin 2 where you always had your partner on the other screen. Or perhaps you're in an FPS and you've set up a drone sniping station. When you see the target of interest pop up on the second screen, use it to take him out.

12. The ability to create a screen full of customizable buttons and macros.

13. Touch enable special abilities. Run your finger vertically to have Samus turn into a morph ball and launch herself, depending on the speed of your gesture in the direction of your touch. Honestly I saw what they did with Drake jumping over an obstacle in NGP and thought it was cool.

14. Cinematic cutscenes could play on the second screen, saving you the hassle of sitting through one or skipping one in some jarring manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom