• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AndyMoogle said:
They better have real analog sticks and not shitty analog slide pads.

I really thought the same thing.. but .. I hate to admit it, after playing games with the 3DS, I don't think it would be a deal breaker.

mantidor

"- Nintendo feels that gaming is better with buttons, so you won’t see a machine without them"

I really, really love nintendo.

Ickman3400 said:
Yeah that's a big one to me. If they have slide pads or nubs or whatever then I won't even consider buying it. I want a console controller not a handheld one.
I really think slide pads on a console could actually turn out better than traditional analogue sticks.

Taker666

brochiller said:
I really can't think of a reason why Nintendo wouldn't make the screen 16x9. Regardless of what the make the screen on the controller, these games are still going to be programmed to primarily run on 16x9 TV's, so there's no reason for them to make the process of streaming content to the controller even more complicated by changing the aspect ratio.

Unless of course they're going to use that little bit of extra screen real estate for like a status bar or something.

I think 16:10 is better for things like web browsing/ebooks/ etc...it would also give the controller a more tablet type look (which I'm guessing Nintendo would want)

Plus it'll mean the controller would be slightly narrower.

wsippel

Banned
Refreshment.01 said:
Very interested in this, do you have any informative links?
I've read about it in a German technology magazine three or four years ago. It's based on a matrix of light sensors embedded in the display itself, so it's also thinner and lighter (and potentially cheaper) than regular touchscreens.

M74

- Nintendo feels that gaming is better with buttons, so you won’t see a machine without them

In case people aren't catching what this means, it means Nintendo won't be pursuing Kinect-style systems.

Taker666 said:
I think 16:10 is better for things like web browsing/ebooks/ etc...it would also give the controller a more tablet type look (which I'm guessing Nintendo would want)

Plus it'll mean the controller would be slightly narrower.

I think a lot of it depends on what Nintendo's primary focus with the screen is going to be. If it's going to be focusing on game streaming to the device, then 16:9 is the way to go. But if it wants to focus on using the device as a second screen and for other applications like you mention, then 16:10 is definitely a better option and more aesthetically pleasing as well.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
M74 said:
In case people aren't catching what this means, it means Nintendo won't be pursuing Kinect-style systems.

doesn't it also reassure that the touch screen will not be a button replacement?

From The Dust said:
wat. 16:10 monitors are dying off even. that's really fucking weird

Did anyone think that maybe Nintendo would go with slightly off resolution of 16:10 on the controller to preserve a full 16:9 for gaming and a 16:1 notification bar a the top or bottom of the screen for things like Friends list, messages, battery & clock?

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Did anyone think that maybe Nintendo would go with slightly off resolution of 16:10 on the controller to preserve a full 16:9 for gaming and a 16:1 notification bar a the top or bottom of the screen for things like Friends list, messages, battery & clock?

Yeah I did bring that up a page or two back. I think that could work really well, instead of having an popup obstructing game play like you get when you get a message or invite on Xbox Live, it would just be a little notification up top alongside things like battery life, a clock, etc. I think something like an Android style pulldown menu would work well for something like that.

VerTiGo

Banned
I would be somewhat annoyed if the Cafe didn't feature an improved pointer controller. Unless they can keep the Wii brand alive on the Cafe with Motion Plus Wiimote still selling at retail, and if the Wiimote Plus is forward compatible. If individual Cafe controllers are pricey I can see Nintendo considering such a plan. One machine, two different kinds of marketable control methods (casual/hardcore).

How much of this is based on research of DSiXL consumers? If they find that these users stay home, why not keep these sales in the home environment. The Project Cafe concepts reminds of the DSiXl, being a really interesting move towards making a handheld/home console hybrid. A safe and controlled household network for entertainment is a great idea, especially for large families.

This makes me question if whether the Project Cafe could push information and gameplay images to the 3DS. If the controller is only streaming imagesand control, it won't need to be powerful tech wise, if ON LIVE is anything to judge by. Since the 3DS had dedicated gaming hardware however -- would it be possible to display project cafe software in 3D on the 3DS?

It would keep the Cafe forward compatible with future home 3D display options.

ksamedi

AndyMoogle said:
They better have real analog sticks and not shitty analog slide pads.

Slide pads are useful for fully portable devices. The Wii controller is not a portable in this sense so they will add normal analog sticks.

M74 said:
I'm glad about this as well. However, I do wonder what Kinect will be like next-gen when Xbox720 arrives. Hopefully, they can dramtically reduce the lag. I still think the game selection for that type of system is slim. Sony and Nintendo's solution (Wii remote and Move) atleast have a happy medium.

From The Dust said:
some PC games aren't even supporting it if I remember correctly. also 16:10 monitors seems to be more and more scarce

Yeah Witcher 2 doesn't even support it and I rarely ever see or hear about those monitors. Would not be surprised at all if they're dying.

Effect

VerTiGo said:
One machine, two different kinds of marketable control methods (casual/hardcore).

Doesn't have to be the case. A new Wiimote with more buttons could be just as hardcore as a controller with analog sticks. I'd actually prefer that. I've played my Wii so much using a single controller doesn't feel natural anymore. In fact using both hands at a distance (Wii and PC for example) is simply more comfortable. Just add more buttons so you have an exact number button match with a single controller unit. You could also have motion control schemes as well for those that want them. I can't imagine playing a console FPS without such a controller going forward. Especially if Move is going to be adopted into future PS3 FPS. It doesn't make any sense for Nintendo to drop the motion controller or to even push it as a distance and optional second. IF they want those that got the Wii to move to the next system they have to have as an integral part of the system.

It shouldn't be to hard for developers to use two control schemes should it? Especially if the number of buttons is the same and instead of a extra analog stick you have the pointer?

VerTiGo

Banned
Always-honest said:
yes, but i also hpe they pimp it up for Wii2

Doubt it. Skyward Sword will launch this holiday. Project Cafe won't be out regardless. Dragon Quest X in the same launch window if anything. It will backwards compatible however, so if the machine can do Dolphin-esque things to Wii and GameCube software I would be more than happy. That's what I'm hoping.

Maxrunner

Are Nintendo really dropping the wiimote? i have a hard time believing, specially as it could be improved...and if theres rumours that the supposed cafe controller as motion tech superior to move i have a hard time believing it wont be used in the format of a wiimote....

VerTiGo

Banned
Jackano said:
It's not like they never did this.

Keeping the Wii brand strong will be important for Nintendo, and not too hard to maintain with the size of its userbase and the console's still strong retail positioning. A low entry level Wii price and Zelda can do big things.

Iwata mentioned one key Nintendo title a month for the Wii. It would make sense to launch Zelda this November, with games like Xenoblade and Last Story following as opposed to preceeding because Zelda can build that consumer market on the Wii. Ending with Dragon Quest X.

KrawlMan

Ickman3400 said:
Yeah Witcher 2 doesn't even support it and I rarely ever see or hear about those monitors. Would not be surprised at all if they're dying.

Witcher 2 really doesn't support 16:10? I know they've been very hard to come by in the last year or so if you are looking to buy a new monitor, but there's still a ton of people (myself included) with 16:10 monitors purchased only a couple years ago. Dumb move.

Vinci

Danish
Jaruru said:
saw the description of this graph but didn't see it actually.
is it suggesting that the parent can host multiple events @ the same time? it must be very powerful? unless all of the events are poorly done.

Many people in here have been speculating that the system might be powerful enough to host multiple controllers and send distinct content to each. How this affects the quality of the content, no clue - if that's what they're doing.

Jaruru said:
saw the description of this graph but didn't see it actually.
is it suggesting that the parent can host multiple events @ the same time? it must be very powerful? unless all of the events are poorly done.

considering there are multiple parent devices in use, they must all do their own calculations

JaseMath

From The Dust said:
then they would have to delay the game for a year. it ain't happening.
Fun fact: If SS releases this fall, it would be the first Zelda since Majora's Mask to hit it's target release - that's across all platforms.

VerTiGo

Banned
Effect said:
Doesn't have to be the case. A new Wiimote with more buttons could be just as hardcore as a controller with analog sticks. I'd actually prefer that. I've played my Wii so much using a single controller doesn't feel natural anymore. In fact using both hands at a distance (Wii and PC for example) is simply more comfortable. Just add more buttons so you have an exact number button match with a single controller unit. You could also have motion control schemes as well for those that want them. I can't imagine playing a console FPS without such a controller going forward. Especially if Move is going to be adopted into future PS3 FPS. It doesn't make any sense for Nintendo to drop the motion controller or to even push it as a distance and optional second. IF they want those that got the Wii to move to the next system they have to have as an integral part of the system.

It shouldn't be to hard for developers to use two control schemes should it? Especially if the number of buttons is the same and instead of a extra analog stick you have the pointer?

We are already at that point within the industry. Where each platform markets two different control methods to its consumers. Pointer/Motion and NES style games have been huge on the Wii, and Kinect is proving to be a healthy market for Microsoft to be, in addition to their hardcore markets.

I really do prefer pointer controls over dual-analog in many situations after having a generation length's exposure to what has worked and what hasn't.

KrawlMan

JasonMCG said:
Fun fact: If SS releases this fall, it would be the first Zelda since Majora's Mask to hit it's target release (that's across all platforms).

Except it didn't hit its target release. Last July they said they were aiming for early 2011.

Vinci

Danish
From The Dust said:
considering there are multiple parent devices in use, they must all do their own calculations

User's Apparatus is what, the Cafe? Then Parent Devices are controllers, with Child Devices as Wiimotes or whatever? If Parent Devices are controllers, than I think that illustration clearly shows that the User's Apparatus is able to provide distinct content to each one.

From The Dust said:

So the controllers are going to have some kind of basic processing power besides just what'd necessary to display video then?

Emitan

Ickman3400 said:
You're fucking kidding me. I upgraded my computer to play a game that won't even display properly? Fuck you, CD Projekt.

beje

Banned
brochiller said:
So the controllers are going to have some kind of basic processing power besides just what'd necessary to display video then?

Doubt it, unless we're looking at $150 controllers with a 3 hour battery life.

MYE

Clearer front view of my mockup

Svd8W.jpg

I'd love to toy around with the back of it but i really dont have time right now.
Someone bored can take a crack at it

brochiller said:

it has to if it will have a screen

as for the patent image, without a description, it's hard to determine what's what. as BlackNMild2k1 said, it may not even be for the Cafe

beje said:
Doubt it, unless we're looking at $150 controllers with a 3 hour battery life.

Yeah I think that would be incredibly stupid on Nintendo's part, but that's what the patent seemed to suggest. I guess it might not even be a patent for the Cafe though.

brochiller said:
If Leapster can bring out portable "Learning" game consoles for under $60 with touchscreen, Nintendo should be able to bring the controller out for that much since it isn't a "real" portable.

MYE said:
Clearer front view of my mockup

http://i.imgur.com/bNLsz.jpg[IMG]

I'd love to toy around with the back of it but i really dont have time right now.
Someone bored can take a crack at it[/QUOTE]

not bad. but now I have the Observatory theme stuck in my head

cacildo

bNLsz.jpg

Yeah... right

Its probably the best mock until now (except for the bongo ones). yet the idea of a going back to dual analogic.... and a screen in the middle.... yeah, it still stupid.

It feels like nintendo think the biggest problem in gaming is "kids wanna play, parents want to watch tv"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom