• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYE

Wolves Evolve said:
Great job. God knows where the bumpers and triggers go.

This is what i had in mind

Wh7hg.jpg

nickcv

cacildo said:
bNLsz.jpg

Yeah... right

Its probably the best mock until now (except for the bongo ones). yet the idea of a going back to dual analogic.... and a screen in the middle.... yeah, it still stupid.

It feels like nintendo think the biggest problem in gaming is "kids wanna play, parents want to watch tv"

completely agree... please let us still have separate controls... i love so much wiimote + nunchuck... it's the less tiring setup i've ever used to play any game.

anyway, now that the investor meeting is gone without any new interesting info we just have to wait till E3 or there's some other even before that?

MYE said:
This is what i had in mind

Wh7hg.jpg

this is genius!

thehillissilent said:
If Leapster can bring out portable "Learning" game consoles for under $60 with touchscreen, Nintendo should be able to bring the controller out for that much since it isn't a "real" portable.
For things like this, is why i can't see Nintendo just taking a tablet and stick some pad buttons in there. Or taking the typical controler, slap a touch screen and make it ridiculously wide. Even if those are the practical aproaches. It has to be something less conventional so it invoques a surprise factor to the user. Taking the top part of a 3DS and putting some analog pads and keys doesn't seem too exciting for me.
Wolves Evolve said:
Jesus. You're good. That would actually work.
nickcv said:
this is genius!
Stinking Sh!T! So you guys were imaging a flat surface at the bottom? That's incredibly narrow minded. :D

@Mye: If you can post your design in the correct size so people get a better idea, since its coming way too big in those pics.

ASIS

Speevy said:
I think we've reached the point of having too much imagination for this thing to be surprising.
You know what would really be surprising? If the controller has no screen AT ALL!

Refreshment.01 said:
For things like this, is why i can't see Nintendo just taking a tablet and stick some pad buttons in there. Or taking the typical controler, slap a touch screen and make it ridiculously wide. Even if those are the practical aproaches. It has to be something less conventional so it invoques a surprise factor to the user. Taking the top part of a 3DS and putting some analog pads and keys doesn't seem too exciting for me.

Stinking Sh!T! So you guys were imaging a flat surface at the bottom? That's incredibly narrow minded. :D

Also Nintendo does a lot of research on their controllers. They do a lot of testing and it would have to be very comfortable.

Mithos

MYE said:
Clearer front view of my mockup

QletE.jpg

Very good, AND the way you expect the backside to look for the triggers and bumpers are good also, I'm almost gonna be disappointed when/if Nintendos version doesn't look like this IF it becomes a pad-design.

Size of the entire controller will be large though like taking an a4 paper and fold it on the middle, aka a5 papersize.

Reallink

cacildo said:
http://i.imgur.com/bNLsz.jpg[/IMG

Yeah... right

Its probably the best mock until now (except for the bongo ones). yet the idea of a going back to dual analogic.... and a screen in the middle.... yeah, it still stupid.

[B]It feels like nintendo think the biggest problem in gaming is "kids wanna play, parents want to watch tv[/B]"[/QUOTE]

Nah, I think it's a cash in on the tablet/browser/app-game craze, a push for local multiplayer, and all that silly shit they tried with GBA connectivity. Anyone that can afford a $300-$400 console + $60 games already has 3-6+ HDTV's throughout their homes.

Anth0ny

KrawlMan said:
I'd personally rather have something akin to the gamecube keyboard:

c9ihN.jpg

Obviously it would only be as wide as is needed to accommodate the 6" diagonal screen. Why are so many of the examples trying to look just like a tablet? I'm really hoping it feels like I'm holding a wide controller, not some variant of a tablet / ipad.

This would be ideal.

nickcv

Refreshment.01 said:

the problem is that i don't really enjoy the idea of something that is not on the line of wiimote + nunchuck (separate controls ftw!) so my imagination refuse to work on stuff like this XD

by far the best mockup btw!

ps: i don't really like the idea of bundling the console with both the classic-touch control and wiimote+nunchuck control... it will be a nightmare if have to buy multiple controllers for any possible multiplayer setup.

Bert

brochiller said:
Yeah I think that would be incredibly stupid on Nintendo's part, but that's what the patent seemed to suggest. I guess it might not even be a patent for the Cafe though.

That patent looks like a DS based patent. Especially as it mentions "one cartridge mode". Unless Nintendo is rocking it old school with a cart based home system...

Thoraxes

Speevy said:
I think we've reached the point of having too much imagination for this thing to be surprising.
The best thing is gonna be when it turns out exactly nothing like we imagined at all. I remember all the crazy DS, 3DS, and Wiimote mock-ups that happened, and even though those were all amazing, the final results were almost nothing like anyone anticipated.

SpecX

Whoa, if that's what this thing is going to become, i can't see it being priced low again like Nintendo has done in the past.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Dexa said:
you guys really like that bulky thing as your standard controller?

its way too big/heavy imo
Sixaxis 4.83 oz, psp 3000 6.7 oz, 3DS 8.1 oz.
It's not going to have all the compenteds inside it that the psp or 3DS need.
Sixaxis is pretty light.

RobbieNick

Where's what I don't think people are grasping. A widescreen like that would make the controller far too wide and uncomfortable. Who said the screen has to be horizontal? Make it vertical like a Pac-Man arcade screen and have the joysticks and buttons BELOW that. Makes more sense to me.

JaseMath

RobbieNick said:
Where's what I don't think people are grasping. A widescreen like that would make the controller far too wide and uncomfortable. Who said the screen has to be horizontal? Make it vertical like a Pac-Man arcade screen and have the joysticks and buttons BELOW that. Makes more sense to me.
If the goal is to stream games and other media, 16:9 would make much more sense. It's an industry standard ratio.

I really hope the screen in the controller rumors turn out to be wrong. I have not seen one mock-up of that idea I like. No offense to Mye, you did good work dude, just not what I want from a controller for a console.

Personally I would be happy with a Wiimote ++ just upgrade the sensors and camera in it, make it a little longer so you can add on an analog stick, make the nunchuck wireless and that would be perfect. (outside of fighters, but thats why they would make an arcade stick/classic controller for that)

RobbieNick said:
At 6" 16:9, it's not too big an average sized person can stretch their thumbs a little beyond half of the screen. The only problem is child hands

Billychu said:
16:10 is dying? WTF.

16:9 is the standard for video content screens and the computer industry decided to standardize on what TVs do rather than try to stick to the (superior but incompatible) 16:10.

RobbieNick said:

If you're streaming things from the TV, you will likely want to have roughly the same aspect ratio. The only way I could see it being vertical is if they want to somehow do two screens again with a virtual screen border, but I seriously doubt it.

KrawlMan

carlo6529 said:
What will all the Raging Nerds, that like to throw there controllers around, do now?

Funny, when I first told my roommate about the idea of the screen on the controller he immediately threw his controller at the ground towards me and said "that is why it's a bad idea".

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is a pic that Jeri Ellsworth (google her) posted on her facebook a little while ago. While everybody else was talking about the diodes in her dress I was getting a kick out of the tablet in her hands. Thought it was pretty neat :)

2d1lfmx.jpg

charlequin said:
16:9 is the standard for video content screens and the computer industry decided to standardize on what TVs do rather than try to stick to the (superior but incompatible) 16:10.
This deeply saddens me. I have a 1920x1200 and a 1600x1200 flat panel side by side. When one goes, I'm going to have to replace both.

[Nintex]

That mock-up is probably close to what Nintendo has in mind. Bolting a 6" LCD screen to a controller just doesn't look that exciting from a marketing point of view a tablet like controller would.

mantidor

carlo6529 said:
What will all the Raging Nerds, that like to throw there controllers around, do now?

Nintendo has a pretty good track record of incredibly resilient hardware, a screen is a problem but I think they will figure it out.

JCRedeems

Banned
Assuming the rumors are true, I'm surprised Nintendo is showing their hand (at least some of it) so early considering their competitors steal their ideas.

[Nintex] said:
That mock-up is probably close to what Nintendo has in mind. Bolting a 6" LCD screen to a controller just doesn't look that exciting from a marketing point of view a tablet like controller would.
I would go so far as to say that would look like shit.

Agreed that the mockup looks sorta maybe accurate

JaseMath

JCRedeems said:
Assuming the rumors are true, I'm surprised Nintendo is showing their hand (at least some of it) so early considering their competitors steal their ideas.
They're not showing their hand. Everything is based on rumors.

KrawlMan

[Nintex] said:

I just hope they put ergonomics above aesthetics. The whole "tablet with grips on the back" sounds awful compared to something that really conforms to the hand on the top and bottom.

carlo6529 said:
Why would that pose a problem to Nintendo? What do raging nerds do when they lose playing with a hanheld console?

The point being there are people (of varied age groups) playing with more sensible devices already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom