• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenpp72

You know that last mockup just made me realize I would really love being able to play my console games on the controller screen, it might seem silly but a lot of time the girlfriend is watching tv or something and I don't want to interrupt, being able to let her do so while wirelessly playing my game would be quite awesome :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Neo Child said:
It's about on par with the original XBox.

Struggles with traditional shaders though. Devs gotta work that extra bit harder.

Neo Child said:
It's about on par with the original XBox.
More like 2 duct tapes Wiied together.

goldenpp72 said:
You know that last mockup just made me realize I would really love being able to play my console games on the controller screen, it might seem silly but a lot of time the girlfriend is watching tv or something and I don't want to interrupt, being able to let her do so while wirelessly playing my game would be quite awesome :)
This why i love people, after the increased chances of the rumor being true, now we are forcing ourselves to justify uses for the screen.

McHuj

JasonMCG said:
They're not showing their hand. Everything is based on rumors.

I think he's talking about the E3 reveal. There will be at least another year before MS or Sony announce another console.

They could very well try to ape some of Nintendo's ideas between this E3 and whenever they announce their next consoles.

Sony's Sixaxis attempt came across as very bolted on and last second, but now they'll have a year+ if not two to mimic what Nintedo did and refine it (if they so choose).

KrawlMan

goldenpp72 said:

Yeah, having your games stream entirely onto the controller sounds like a promising option. I'd be pissed if it were something they wanted to be standard though. There are plenty of games which I would much rather have something like an inventory on the controller and the main game on the TV.

French said:
That's what 01net said no ? And they were right on other things.

The rumors circulating about the power are a little ambiguous. With some saying a "notch" above 360, and others saying "significantly more powerful." Considering none of the specs have been confirmed by Nintendo it's safe to say nobody on these boards knows (or if they do know for certain I'm sure those people wouldn't be allowed to tell.)

Eteric Rice

KrawlMan said:
Yeah, having your games stream entirely onto the controller sounds like a promising option. I'd be pissed if it were something they wanted to be standard though. There are plenty of games which I would much rather have something like an inventory on the controller and the main game on the TV.

Agreed.

goldenpp72

KrawlMan said:
Yeah, the option of having your games stream entirely onto the controller sounds like a promising option. I'd be pissed if it were something they wanted to be standard though. There are plenty of games which I would much rather have something like an inventory on the controller and the main game on the TV.

Well like, someone wants to play me in smash brothers 4, girlfriend is watching cake boss, so I can just load it up using the pad and play on it. it would also be preferable to use a big portable screen for 4 player split screen rather than all on one tv in my mind. Still, you can think of any amazing uses for a new function and it ends up not delivering (wii mote, kinect) so who knows.

Mithos

brochiller said:
Is the screen on that mockup actually 6''?

On my screen and resolution MYE's latest mockup is about 5". If I resize the picture from its 1053x695 to 1300x858 it gets about 6" (again on my screen).

So I've been hearing theres going to be an R700 card in Project Cafe. Assuming its not the cheap-ass model and is one of the higher end versions, couldn't this hardware power something like the UE3 next-gen concept trailer? CPUs sound like they'll be only marginally better than 360 but I don't think thats a huge bottleneck for most games.

birdchili

is nintendo really going to have a controller that's incompatible with the "active gaming" that's been both a huge focus of their push to change gamer stereotypes, as well as... y'know... hugely profitable for them?

screen or no, there's got to be a way to have some sort of controller bit that would let people play standing up/moving about.

infinityBCRT said:
So I've been hearing theres going to be an R700 card in Project Cafe. Assuming its not the cheap-ass model and is one of the higher end versions, couldn't this hardware power something like the UE3 next-gen concept trailer? CPUs sound like they'll be only marginally better than 360 but I don't think thats a huge bottleneck for most games.
The Samaritan demo? Not even close.

On the other hand, if they used an R700 based card, maybe they can offline render Samaritan in a couple of years, so instead of frames per second -fps- we could be taking about days per frame -dpf-.

goldenpp72

birdchili said:
is nintendo really going to have a controller that's incompatible with the "active gaming" that's been both a huge focus of their push to change gamer stereotypes, as well as... y'know... hugely profitable for them?

screen or no, there's got to be a way to have some sort of controller bit that would let people play standing up/moving about.

Perhaps the controller can somehow be separated from the screen?

JasonMCG said:
I still say it could be smaller. A rough example (hope you don't mind MYE)...

S52LP.gif

I really love this design. tall or short.

Now if someone could make a charging stand for it so that the controller will sit upright (Like my DroidX) when not in use and then the IR sensors on the controller can also double as a sensor bar, and the controller screen could double as an alternate display, that would be perfect.

Vinci

Danish
birdchili said:

We don't know. Maybe, maybe not. If they are abandoning it in some respect, it's likely because they found something else that they feel will contribute in a similar fashion.

evangd007

French said:
That's what 01net said no ? And they were right on other things.

We have a collection of subjective statements and the fact that the dev kit has an R700, which descirbes a line of ATI GPUs of varying power. We know next to nothing. However, I trust the devs that IGN has talked to more than ones that 01net has talked to due to the fact that 01net's source is probably in Ubisoft, and Ubisoft is often lackadaisical with Nintendo tech.

KrawlMan said:
The rumors circulating about the power are a little ambiguous. With some saying a "notch" above 360, and others saying "significantly more powerful." Considering none of the specs have been confirmed by Nintendo it's safe to say nobody on these boards knows (or if they do know for certain I'm sure those people wouldn't be allowed to tell.)
A reasonable hypothesis is 3-4x on the GPU. Whether you define this as a notch or significantly more powerful is a matter of perspective.

birdchili

goldenpp72 said:
Perhaps the controller can somehow be separated from the screen?
that seems the most obvious to me... though it makes the controller design even more complicated/expensive. just have a detachable right-side bit something like a remote, and probably battery packs on both sides so they can both be active at once.

the whole thing still sounds mighty unwieldy...

Bumpers and triggers in the back would certainly solve our grip problems and it could make this controller pretty good for FPS games right from the start.

I can totally dig a design like the one MYE made.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't like any of the mockups I have seen so far, mainly because most of the mockups are like handhelds. Handhelds like PSP and DS always give me a handcramp after using it for a while, I would prefer the controller to have handles like regular controllers. GameCube and 360 controllers are probably the most comfortable to hold so hopefully the controller is like that.

KAL2006 said:
I don't like any of the mockups I have seen so far, mainly because most of the mockups are like handhelds. Handhelds like PSP and DS always give me a handcramp after using it for a while, I would prefer the controller to have handles like regular controllers. GameCube and 360 controllers are probably the most comfortable to hold so hopefully the controller is like that.

You are shit out of luck, son.

Red

KAL2006 said:
I agree with you completely. I need something to wrap my fingers around. Even the 360 controller is a bit small. My fingertips end up getting pushed against the back of the controller or the battery pack.

I can only play my DS for five or ten minutes at a time before needing to shake out my wrists, otherwise my fingers go numb.

Mithos said:
On my screen and resolution MYE's latest mockup is about 5". If I resize the picture from its 1053x695 to 1300x858 it gets about 6" (again on my screen).

I was thinking more about the screen size with relation to the rest of the picture,like the nubs, d-pad, and buttons.

Crunched said:
I agree with you completely. I need something to wrap my fingers around. Even the 360 controller is a bit small. My fingertips end up getting pushed against the back of the controller or the battery pack.

I can only play my DS for five or ten minutes at a time before needing to shake out my wrists, otherwise my fingers go numb.

Sorry, this is like my first attempt at editing a picture, but here's the keyboard GC controller with a screen instead of keys. Not sure if the screen is actually 6 inches but just kinda going by on looks.

20q1jeu.jpg

Looking at it more closely, I think the buttons and dpad/sticks could be closer to the screen, but it's hard for me to do this stuff, especially with paint.

KAL2006

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Sorry, this is like my first attempt at editing a picture, but here's the keyboard GC controller with a screen instead of keys. Not sure if the screen is actually 6 inches but just kinda going by on looks.

20q1jeu.jpg

You could've made that less wide, there is space between the dpad and the screen and the right analog and the screen

Red

StickSoldier said:

20q1jeu.jpg
That's ugly as fuck but would actually be comfortable to hold.

For me, the heavier and thicker the grip of a pad is, the better.

I have a feeling the screen is going to be used as a tablet, so requiring it to be within thumb's reach probably isn't a necessity. I think the mock ups that are "closest to the real thing" look great, but I can't imagine them being very ergonomic.

KAL2006 said:
You could've made that less wide, there is space between the dpad and the screen and the right analog and the screen

Yeah, just noticed that, but I made it just to get an idea of what it would look like as a GC controller. I'm sure Nintendo will figure out a way to make it look nice and comfortable to hold.

Crunched said:

I have a feeling the screen is going to be used as a tablet, so requiring it to be within thumb's reach probably isn't a necessity. I think the mock ups that are "closest to the real thing" look great, but I can't imagine them being very ergonomic.

And ultimately, it will come down to being comfortable to hold. I don't want to play on some fucking device that's gonna cramp my hands after awhile; I wan't it to feel nice in my hands, like the Wiimote/nunchuck is.

Vinci

Danish
thehillissilent said:
And knowing Nintendo, those games will stay at $50 long after they have been released as far as first-party titles go.

Oh no, the game prices will go up. HD and all. But it's foolish.

KAL2006

Banned
Crunched said:

GameCube was the most comfortable controller I have ever held. All they need to do with the GameCube controller is have a bigger D-Pad, better triggers and normal face buttons and better analog sticks (especially the right analog C stick which was awful)

Totobeni said:
Is there any chance that Nintendo will keep games prices at $49?
Nope!

Third party developers would never allow it and Nintendo themselves wouldn't do it because it would bring up the "Nintendo competes unfairly" thing. Plus, extra dollars.

MYE

Refreshment.01 said:
@Mye: If you can post your design in the correct size so people get a better idea, since its coming way too big in those pics.

Missed this post.
Just got home from work, no Photoshop here.
Sorry

Red

KAL2006 said:
GameCube was the most comfortable controller I have ever held. All they need to do with the GameCube controller is have a bigger D-Pad, better triggers and normal face buttons and better analog sticks (especially the right analog C stick which was awful)
C stick is the number one con. I wasn't a fan of the hard edges around either analog stick, but they never became too much of a problem.

One thing I noticed about GC controllers is that the sticks tended to be very loose. After a few months of use they'd "fall" into a certain direction and get stuck there. Happened to every one I owned.

Krowley

Crunched said:

The problem with these kinds of designs is the weight and the inclusion of a touch screen. Presumably, you'll sometimes have to cradle the thing one-handed in a fashion similar to holding the DS in touch oriented games, so less weight and a smaller form factor would probably make more sense.

Still, it could be more like a regular controller, but i personally think it's unlikely, especially since the mockup that 01.net says is closest looks a lot like a gameboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom