• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vestal said:
I have to ask.. How is this supposed to work? Really? How much are these things supposed to cost?? Will the rendering occur on the Device or in the console.. I assume the console, so if you are using multiple of these then the performance of the console will take a pretty big hit.. If you render it on the controller then each controller will be over 100 a pop.

The idea (the popular speculation, at least) is that it's an incredibly dumb terminal, just a screen, a demultiplexor (or whatever it'd be to decode the signal to individual pixels), a wifi transmitter/receiver, etc, etc but no actual processing. Given that similarly-sized Android tablets with far more capability can cost well under $100, we're probably well in the clear here.

Neiteio

Oh well, now that there's a controller mockup thread, I guess everyone will have to talk about the games of their wildest dreams.

YESSSSSS.

I'll throw in my vote for a Snatcher revival -- HD Neo Kobe, drool -- and a new Darkstalkers, the latter using touchscreen shortcuts for combos like the Lite controls in SSFIV3DE.

Emitan

Neiteio said:
Oh well, now that there's a controller mockup thread, I guess everyone will have to talk about the games of their wildest dreams.

YESSSSSS.

I'll throw in my vote for a Snatcher revival -- HD Neo Kobe, drool -- and a new Darkstalkers, the latter using touchscreen shortcuts for combos like the Lite controls in SSFIV3DE.
I wonder if the Stream will have enough RAM for Darkstalkers. Capcom refuses to make sprite based fighters again and there's no way all of the transformations and stuff would work with 3D models on the current systems, at least according to Capcom.

Neiteio

Billychu said:
I wonder if the Stream will have enough RAM for Darkstalkers. Capcom refuses to make sprite based fighters again and there's no way all of the transformations and stuff would work with 3D models on the current systems, at least according to Capcom.
Is Capcom's concern regarding Demitri's Midnight Bliss move, which turns each opponent in the game into a woman for him to victimize (he being an incubus and all)? That -is- a lot of extra character models all for the sake of one move...

steveovig said:
I don't know about that. I just really love achievements. They should be a standard for the industry.
Lets hope that they manage to get a proper online architecture up and running before even considering achievements.

I propose an alternate parallel homebrew discussion.

I was planning to buy a bunch of pretty cheap (like ~$200) nano-ITX or similar computers and connect them to LCD monitors and have them act as MythTV clients, so I can unleash my large amount of video files upon any room of my house.

But maybe these things can somehow be paired with non-Nintendo devices to do the same, acting as just another screen for my server elsewhere in the house. That'd be pretty cool, and the screens would be far cheaper than LCD + tiny computers.

Zeal

Banned
GameplayWhore said:
I was planning to buy a bunch of pretty cheap (like ~$200) nano-ITX or similar computers and connect them to LCD monitors and have them act as MythTV clients, so I can unleash my large amount of video files upon any room of my house.

lol at this bizarre mess.

Kard8p3

Neiteio said:

YESSSSSS.

I throw my vote for a new horror IP that uses the screen on the controller in some interesting creepy way.

GameplayWhore said:
I propose an alternate parallel homebrew discussion.

But maybe these things can somehow be paired with non-Nintendo devices to do the same, acting as just another screen for my server elsewhere in the house. That'd be pretty cool, and the screens would be far cheaper than LCD + tiny computers.
AppleTV2 running XBMC will be the eventual correct answer. $99 is a hell of a great price.

BMF said:
AppleTV2 running XBMC will be the eventual correct answer. $99 is a hell of a great price.

Excellent, as long as it can link to a Stream controller.

Huh ... I've seen "XBMC" mentioned all over the place but always assumed it was some Xbox thing, so I never looked into it. Now I will.

GameplayWhore said:
I've seen "XBMC" mentioned all over the place but always assumed it was some Xbox thing, so I never looked into it. Now I will.
I've used it on my HTPC for the past couple of years and use it daily. It's fantastic (although really just an overly-fancy frontend). I used it on my Xbox less frequently before that.

Look into a Boxee if you want a dedicated device and don't want to use/build a PC.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
BMF said:
It doesn't have enough juice to decode 1080p. Do you store much 1080p media?
Yeah, especially now that 3D SBS pretty much requires 1080p. Apple TV1 can decode 1080p with an improved card, so apple TV2 should be powerful enough but apparently it has some other hardware limitations.

poppabk said:
Yeah, especially now that 3D SBS pretty much requires 1080p. Apple TV1 can decode 1080p with an improved card, so apple TV2 should be powerful enough but apparently it has some other hardware limitations.
It's an iPad without a screen or battery. Totally different architecture than the original AppleTV.

Kard8p3 said:
I throw my vote for a new horror IP that uses the screen on the controller in some interesting creepy way.

Or how about using the camera to flash an image on the TV screen of you with some random monster/demon/zombie/etc. sneaking up behind you while you play? ;)

watershed

Banned
so we really haven't had any new rumors? No random twitter post from a developer? No french developer leaks (ubisoft)? No IGN teases?

artwalknoon said:
so we really haven't had any new rumors? No random twitter post from a developer? No french developer leaks (ubisoft)? No IGN teases?
In liue of which I'm kind of thinking I should post some 3DS screenshots and compare them to 360 games or something. At least the thread moves then. Or maybe wake up StephanColbert by talking about Sony and bluray financials.

watershed

Banned
Bending_Unit_22 said:
In liue of which I'm kind of thinking I should post some 3DS screenshots and compare them to 360 games or something. At least the thread moves then. Or maybe wake up StephanColbert by talking about Sony and bluray financials.

The former would be interesting but the latter would be funner.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Bending_Unit_22 said:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

Caramello said:

Some Raw Google translate....
Q1
 Recently, they came out pretty hard type of tablet, fairly large screen is also in an intuitive, but have the impression that there are areas of attractive looking as a game machine, as a game machine or hard of Nintendo I want to hear the views of the tablet when I saw Iwata.

A1
Iwata:
 It is a tablet form. The screen above a certain size, that can directly touch, "making the play with a touch screen," If you look in terms of the Nintendo DS made to flow, using the touch screen in the sense that what is used on the extension of the game I think an interesting device. On the other hand, have been throwing away a long time or even four-way controller button or even when we make a new game, the game is still more were such, I make a game-reactive on is because I think in some respects advantageous. In that sense, (for Nintendo) make sense because there is no button at all abandoned the so-called game, just the structure of the tablet for now, let's consider a game in Nintendo do not think so. However, because it thinks of as a game machine, in other ways as there are tablets that are very interesting, it might even become popular in the form of the future though.

There's more but it's just hard to read properly

antispin

blizzardjesus said:
Some Raw Google translate....
Q1
 Recently, they came out pretty hard type of tablet, fairly large screen is also in an intuitive, but have the impression that there are areas of attractive looking as a game machine, as a game machine or hard of Nintendo I want to hear the views of the tablet when I saw Iwata.

A1
Iwata:
 It is a tablet form. The screen above a certain size, that can directly touch, "making the play with a touch screen," If you look in terms of the Nintendo DS made to flow, using the touch screen in the sense that what is used on the extension of the game I think an interesting device. On the other hand, have been throwing away a long time or even four-way controller button or even when we make a new game, the game is still more were such, I make a game-reactive on is because I think in some respects advantageous. In that sense, (for Nintendo) make sense because there is no button at all abandoned the so-called game, just the structure of the tablet for now, let's consider a game in Nintendo do not think so. However, because it thinks of as a game machine, in other ways as there are tablets that are very interesting, it might even become popular in the form of the future though.

There's more but it's just hard to read properly

I read that as:

IWATA: "Tablets are cool dude [takes a drag] but not without buttons [pause]... we love buttons [blows off smoke]. That's the future [laughs]"

No matter what happens, I'll be glad if Nintendo has a non-motion control pivotal controller in the box. In my opinion, that can only mean good things for both developers and gamers. More options = (most likely) more games. And I think Nintendo knows this at this point. If they pack in a Wiimote++ great, but they need a "classic" option. Or at least a Six-Axis style option. Touchscreen or not.

Can't wait for E3.

NeonZ

Neiteio said:
Is Capcom's concern regarding Demitri's Midnight Bliss move, which turns each opponent in the game into a woman for him to victimize (he being an incubus and all)? That -is- a lot of extra character models all for the sake of one move...

Darkstalkers had a lot of moves with unique hit animations involving body deformation. Midnight Bliss was one of the three most complete changes, but not the only one.

I don't think Midnight Bliss itself is that problematic. They don't need to make the transformations as good looking as actual characters. They modeled all those background people in Street Fighter 4, so this shouldn't be too hard.

On the other hand, we're talking about a possible 3d game. They could easily use the models of the Midnight bliss transformations as alt costumes (They'd just need to stick with transformations that kept the body structure roughly the same as the real body structure + add an extra female voice track for each character... or they could also make every transformation have a similar, generic, body structure to each other and make a single "Midnight Bliss" character which features each different transformation as an alt), so it wouldn't become a big waste of resources at all if they decided to make them very detailed.

E-phonk

Banned
antispin said:
I read that as:

IWATA: "Tablets are cool dude [takes a drag] but not without buttons [pause]... we love buttons [blows off smoke]. That's the future [laughs]"
You should translate the whole Q&A!

I'm still quite puzzled by the entire Cafè design. The touchscreen pad idea sounds incredibly... uncomfortable.

It's not without pros, for sure:

- RPG games with the pad acting as a map, or a permanently open inventory
- FPS/survival horror/action RPG with the pad being a status screen (ammo, maybe localized damage a la MGS3, etc)
- the screen acting as a comm interface in itself (MGS: the codec conversation happens on the pad screen, with audio from the pad speakers, and you can keep active as Snake on the main screen)

and the list goes on.

The cons, however, are massive too:

- that thing will be heavy as hell, and unwieldy to boot. I can't really imagine myself playing Street Fighter on that. The same issue happened with the wiimote, but still.
- it's gonna be... delicate. We drop pads. Often. One of the great things about the DS3 is that the non-vibrating model was more or less weightless. You could drop it and it would bounce back into your hands. The X360 pad (one of the best pads to date, IMHO) was a lot heavier, but dropping it was less likely given how ergonomic it is. This thing? Sure, we do hold iPads, but we play Devil May Cry on them? I can't picture myself being comfortable with that.
- the third core issue is... the pros are radical. There's some great gamebuilding to be done around such a pad (Aliens-inspired FPS... the pad screen acts as the sonar-thing; action RPG with 3 dozen abilities tied to touchscreen icons; MMOs that can actually work on consoles; I could go on all day); however, if the rest of the industry doesn't follow, either developers go around implementing "inferior" versions of the same mechanics on PC/other consoles (can't really see that happen, or rather, publishers wanting it to happen) or the full use of the pad is limited to exclusive (both first and third party). Once again... good luck with that.

I'm warming up on the idea of that pad (with a different design, if possible, I think a GCN mockup with the screen resting where the second stick was would be ideal), because it's definitly thickling my game-building fantasy, but pulling it off right and making it a success will be very, very hard.

antispin

VisanidethDM said:
I'm still quite puzzled by the entire Cafè design. The touchscreen pad idea sounds incredibly... uncomfortable.

- FPS/survival horror/action RPG with the pad being a status screen (ammo, maybe localized damage a la MGS3, etc)
- the screen acting as a comm interface in itself (MGS: the codec conversation happens on the pad screen, with audio from the pad speakers, and you can keep active as Snake on the main screen)

and the list goes on.

- that thing will be heavy as hell, and unwieldy to boot. I can't really imagine myself playing Street Fighter on that. The same issue happened with the wiimote, but still.
- it's gonna be... delicate. We drop pads. Often. One of the great things about the DS3 is that the non-vibrating model was more or less weightless. You could drop it and it would bounce back into your hands. The X360 pad (one of the best pads to date, IMHO) was a lot heavier, but dropping it was less likely given how ergonomic it is. This thing? Sure, we do hold iPads, but we play Devil May Cry on them? I can't picture myself being comfortable with that.
- the third core issue is... the pros are radical. There's some great gamebuilding to be done around such a pad (Aliens-inspired FPS... the pad screen acts as the sonar-thing; action RPG with 3 dozen abilities tied to touchscreen icons; MMOs that can actually work on consoles; I could go on all day); however, if the rest of the industry doesn't follow, either developers go around implementing "inferior" versions of the same mechanics on PC/other consoles (can't really see that happen, or rather, publishers wanting it to happen) or the full use of the pad is limited to exclusive (both first and third party). Once again... good luck with that.

I'm warming up on the idea of that pad (with a different design, if possible, I think a GCN mockup with the screen resting where the second stick was would be ideal), because it's definitly thickling my game-building fantasy, but pulling it off right and making it a success will be very, very hard.

Agreed.

But let's give these guys the benefit of doubt: (1) Iwata says this new console will surprise people, (2) We didn't think much of the Wiimote or the DS until we knew the core feature (motion and touchscreen): (3) Ergo, there is a missing piece in the puzzle; if this controller is just a large screen, then it fails right there.

Then again, the scenario you described above is pretty much how the Wiimote fared: not enough dev interest; full use of new controller mostly by exclusives, etc. So this will probably fail either way.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
VisanidethDM said:

I disagree completely with you.

First: How the hell do you play Street Fighter with the 360 pad??? the D-Pad is broken and very uncomfortable, if you don't play it with an arcade stick, you are doing it wrong.

Second: Nintendo has a track of releasing the most drop conscious controllers ever. All of their machines and consoles are sturdy and very difficult to break [insert immortal GB here].

Third: There is absolutely no reason for developers to implement "inferior" versions of games this time around. This generation already has it's Dreamcast power-wise (the Xbox 360), and developers make the best version of their games on that console. Obviously, for quick ports, the controller screen will be a last minute addition, but that happens with a lot of DS games, and there is no harm done in that. Also, because this will probably be the first console released next generation, it won't be the console to port games to, but the console to port games from.

The cons are not massive, because we don't know how the controller will be, we have absolutely no idea; all we know is that it'll have a 6'' screen and dual analogs.

I haven't followed the entire discussion, but have people gone into the fact that there could still be a classic controller available without the screen? And isn't the system backwards compatible with Wii controllers anyway? That would leave the Wii's classic controller in the mix as an option as well.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
manueldelalas said:
I disagree completely with you.

First: How the hell do you play Street Fighter with the 360 pad??? the D-Pad is broken and very uncomfortable, if you don't play it with an arcade stick, you are doing it wrong.

heh, you're not familiar with the SF community are you?

There are tournament winners that absolutely demolish stickplayers, Alioune for example.

orioto

Good Art™
VisanidethDM said:

and the list goes on.

The worst part is that all the pros are wrong...

_No inventory cause no touch screen reachable while using the pad.
_No status on tablet cause you need to look at it quick, meaning on the main game screen.
_No point in that other than being "cool". Having a pop up window on tv is the same.

There is no pros...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom