• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii and one million breakthrough "Sales success"

Kabouter

mysticstylez said:
And if MS has 1million at launch available it would have sold 1million just like the Wii did.

But they didn't, and that's what matters.
Nobody gives a shit about what they COULD have sold, all that matters is what was actually sold.

Kabouter said:
Nobody gives a shit about what they COULD have sold, all that matters is what was actually sold.

You are exactly right, but whats to brag about selling 1million consoles at launch time?

Any console would sell 1million units at launch if they had that many available.

Kabouter said:
yep. a sale lost in the holiday season isn't a guaranteed sale once supply picks back up. people have less money, and the land scape may have changed by then (price cuts, new software releases what have you). heck, part of why a lot of people will pay full price at launch is to have it at launch.

three months later when there aren't any really major new games for the system, a lot of those people won't pay that same price because the media blitz, excitement and newness factor have all died down a bit.

whats to brag about is this.

they managed to get that many made. in other words, they achieved something sony and microsoft couldn't.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
mysticstylez said:
You are exactly right, but whats to brag about selling 1million consoles at launch time?

Any console would sell 1million units at launch if they had that many available.

I don't understand this post at all. It's all going over my head. WAAAY over my head.

plagiarize said:
whats to brag about is this.

they managed to get that many made. in other words, they achieved something sony and microsoft couldn't.

Considering that its using similar architecture as Gamecube I'm not suprised they had so many at launch.

Considering that its using similar architecture as Gamecube I'm not suprised they had so many at launch.

So then I guess that would be..."good launch strategy"? Now it remains to be seen if this good launch strategy will lead to a good long-term one. It's nice to see a gutsy move pay off, though.

Regardless of sales numbers (assuming that what mysticstylez said is true, that if a game company has X amount of units at launch that company can expect to sell X amount of units at launch) the Wii has won the first battle because every single person I have shown it to has laughed their ass off while playing it and had a great time, every single one of them (from my mom, to my 9 year old cousin, to my nintendo buddies, to my pc/sony/xbox 360 buddies to my friends that never play any video games at all) has come back for more. Every single one has said that they HAVE to get one.

The PS3 has not even been mentioned inside my house unless we are discussing how appalling the idea behind the system is and how poorly it's been rolled out.

Nintendo has easily created the highest level of demand between the three systems this holiday season, and thats what they have won the first (of many) battles. Now we just have to wait and see what comes with the next wave of software.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that the Wii has not won because every single person I personally have shown it to decides the fate of the video game industry, just that this is going on all over the country. Friends that have moved away but I still keep in touch with have talked to me about how all their friends get together, just like mine, to play.

ethelred

GrundlTerror said:
Nintendo has easily created the highest level of demand between the three systems this holiday season, and thats what they have won the first (of many) battles. Now we just have to wait and see what comes with the next wave of software.

No, they've created the highest level of supply, and the highest level of actual consumer sales. Not necessarily the highest level of demand. I doubt that they have done that.

Dragmire

Well so far, the Wii has had a smashing launch in the US, with positive buzz all over the place. If anyone remembers, Gamecube didn't have this kind of image at launch. Whenever it was actually mentioned in articles, they just talked about how it couldn't play DVD's.

F#A#Oo

Banned
quetz67 said:
It is Nintendo's fault, they are so greedy they now want to make money from the hardware too (at launch already).

They have to prove the Nintendo teh DOOMED theory wrong tbh...:D

GrundlTerror said:
Regardless of sales numbers (assuming that what mysticstylez said is true, that if a game company has X amount of units at launch that company can expect to sell X amount of units at launch) the Wii has won the first battle because every single person I have shown it to has laughed their ass off while playing it and had a great time, every single one of them (from my mom, to my 9 year old cousin, to my nintendo buddies, to my pc/sony/xbox 360 buddies to my friends that never play any video games at all) has come back for more. Every single one has said that they HAVE to get one.

The PS3 has not even been mentioned inside my house unless we are discussing how appalling the idea behind the system is and how poorly it's been rolled out.

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that the Wii has not won because every single person I personally have shown it to decides the fate of the video game industry, just that this is going on all over the country. Friends that have moved away but I still keep in touch with have talked to me about how all their friends get together, just like mine, to play.

Dude its a new Nintendo system launching, of course there is gonna be mega hype for it. It happens everytime.

Don't jump the gun here, give it a year and see if they take the same route with the Gamecube when it comes to third party games, and spreading out 1st party games over the year.

Then talk about sales.

ethelred said:
No, they've created the highest level of supply, and the highest level of actual consumer sales. Not necessarily the highest level of demand. I doubt that they have done that.

I was in Gamestop yesterday and there were 5 people there waiting for the Wii and 1 for the ps3. I've seen this whenever I go in there (I go in there on my lunch break to harass the employees). Plus, a gigantic part of the PS3's demand was ebayers looking to resell the system and according to an article I read, this may or may not be even worth it anymore to some people. I believe that at this point there are more people out there looking for Wiis for Christmas than PS3s.

faoo6ki.gif

Off topic, but thats an awesome CD.

mysticstylez said:
Dude its a new Nintendo system launching, of course there is gonna be mega hype for it. It happens everytime.

Don't jump the gun here, give it a year and see if they take the same route with the Gamecube when it comes to third party games, and spreading out 1st party games over the year.

Then talk about sales.

Well this thread is about sales... and I never said that Nintendo won and everyone else should just pack up shop and go home. I just said that Nintendo has created the highest level of demand for their product at this time.

GrundlTerror said:
faoo6ki.gif

Off topic, but thats an awesome CD.

Well this thread is about sales... and I never said that Nintendo won and everyone else should just pack up shop and go home. I just said that Nintendo has created the highest level of demand for their product at this time.

You didn't say they won but others have.

mysticstylez said:
You know thats not true, people were probably doing the same thing with the 360 when it first launched.

And if MS has 1million at launch available it would have sold 1million just like the Wii did.

The 360 and PS3 both could have sold a million at launch IMO. But they couldn't make that many and suffered the conseqeunces. But neither would have done as well afterwards due to pricing.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The 360 and PS3 both could have sold a million at launch IMO. But they couldn't make that many and suffered the conseqeunces. But neither would have done as well afterwards due to pricing.

Could be the same way for Wii. Can you honestly say that without Zelda at launch they'd move so many consoles?

I'll give Nintendo credit, they did a wise thing delaying Zelda for the Wii.

mysticstylez said:

Then talk about sales.
i could be wrong, but i don't believe the cube sold out at launch in japan, and if it did, it certainly did it much slower than the wii has done here.

the thing is, that while i agree with you that the ps3 would have sold out with the same supply, and while i agree with you that both would probably have sold out with two million units world wide, that doesn't mean that there aren't already signs that tell us more one way or another right now.

getting systems in peoples homes is half the battle. if nintendo get 6 million systems in peoples homes worldwide by the end of march, that's a sizeable user base in a very short time that won't be ignored by publishers.

the wii has had a more succesful launch than it's predecessor, and a more succesful launch the the ps3 and xbox 360. that much we know. we don't know what happens from here other than it may take a while before we get a clear picture (DS vs PSP took a year to shake out).

we do know that nintendo had the best launch, and i don't think it's crazy to applaud that. it's certainly not going to hurt nintendo at this stage, and i think it's pretty hard to argue that it isn't an advantage even at this point.

Pellham

Banned
I seriously doubt the PS3 would have sold out with 1 million units at launch. With no killer apps (lol resistance, w/e) and the huge pricetag, it would be retarded to think that there are 1 million consumers who would go out of their way to get one at launch.

F#A#Oo

Banned
mysticstylez said:
Could be the same way for Wii. Can you honestly say that without Zelda at launch they'd move so many consoles?

I'll give Nintendo credit, they did a wise thing delaying Zelda for the Wii.

What is it with all these "could" arguements your making...:lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
mysticstylez said:

can you honestly say that man could run as fast with one leg?

Why are you making bizarre points like that? To have a great launch you need lots of consoles, great software and a price the market will go for, looks like they nailed the trifecta while the other 2 failed miserably in at least one area.

mysticstylez said:
I'll give Nintendo credit,

no you won't.

mysticstylez said:

Then talk about sales.

Give it up already

Pellham said:
I seriously doubt the PS3 would have sold out with 1 million units at launch. With no killer apps (lol resistance, w/e) and the huge pricetag, it would be retarded to think that there are 1 million consumers who would go out of their way to get one at launch.

If there were one million ps3s, one million would be sold at launch. Then there would be hundreds of thousands on ebay.

catfish said:
can you honestly say that man could run as fast with one leg?

Why are you making bizarre points like that? To have a great launch you need lots of consoles, great software and a price the market will go for, looks like they nailed the trifecta while the other 2 failed miserably in at least one area.

It's just odd that a bunch of people here are going crazy over these sales figures like "Nintendo is back" and "Nintendo Won" kinda nonsense.

Is selling 1 million at launch great, of course it is. Don't jump the gun though, Nintendo has been notorious for f'in up with 3rd parties and spreading 1st party games out over the year.

mj1108

mysticstylez said:
It's just odd that a bunch of people here are going crazy over these sales figures like "Nintendo is back" and "Nintendo Won" kinda nonsense.

Is selling 1 million at launch great, of course it is. Don't jump the gun though, Nintendo has been notorious for f'in up with 3rd parties and spreading 1st party games out over the year.

Please....just give it up.... please.

hyp

Thaedolus said:
At Wal-Mart yesterday there were still a bunch of guys camping out for the next Wii shipment. This anecdotal evidence proves Nintendo has won the war.

right because winning a war is decided the holiday season that a new console is out. :lol

Pellham

Banned
GrundlTerror said:
If there were one million ps3s, one million would be sold at launch. Then there would be hundreds of thousands on ebay.

:lol and the PS3's tie ratio will be something like 0.01

Vyer

I don't think you guys saying 'well of course the launch will sell out' truly understand the differences, though.

You are right, of course - but that means different things. We're looking at night and day here.

People did not line up for Gamecubes weeks after launch.
Most people did not have trouble finding Gamecubes at launch.
We did not see a huge media presence/hype on the Gamecube.

Now, does this mean it can be sustained? Who knows. Does this mean Nintendo is looking at success long term this gen? Who knows. None of that is a given in any sense.

HOWEVER, to try and downplay this release - especially when looking at their last - is in correct. There is a very real difference here.

Deku

Banned
Wasn't it GAF consensus that the Wii couldn't possibly sell out in the way it has given its quantities?

First day sell-out maybe, but repeated sellouts and line-ups after the 4th and 5th shipment?

Deku said:
Wasn't it GAF consensus that the Wii couldn't possibly sell out in the way it has given its quantities?

First day sell-out maybe, but repeated sellouts and line-ups after the 4th and 5th shipment?

It's no real surprise to me, it's a typical Nintendo launch. I expect it to keep selling like this until at least the end of January.

They did say they will sell 4 million by the end of the year. Now they are adding that they will sell SIX by March. So two million to sell in the first two months of the year.

Edit: Heh... sounds stupid. I can do math.

ethelred

_leech_ said:
It's no real surprise to me, it's a typical Nintendo launch. I expect it to keep selling like this until at least the end of January.

More than double the GameCube's Japanese launch, and repeated and consistent post-launch day sell-outs in the US are hallmarks of the typical Nintendo launch? I don't recall that being the case at all.

F#A#Oo

Banned
DEO3 said:
I thought they were planning on having 4 million sold by the end of the year?

Yes that hasn't changed 4m by Dec 31st...:) and 6m by March...

But well I think Iwata will order his Pikman workforce to make Wii's faster now to try and make it atleast 7m-8m by March...:D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I would just like to remind everybody (mostly those fapping over this news) that making some of these posts seems awfully ugly of you, and its no worse than the other fanboys that used the past 5 years to make you miserable. Class. raise it up a notch. Nintendo hasn't won yet.

The one thing I think we are all wondering is how long Nintendo can keep up WW sales like this. If they can get to 12-15 million by next Christmas, I would say that's all they would ever need to do to ensure that we all get the games we want on the platform. However, the real question is how long this platform can stand as the PS3 price drops and FFXIII and MGS4 are released? Will the Wii stagnate as graphical heavyweights become more affordable? Is it realistic for the Wii to sell 40 million? When -and what- would be appropriate to expect the next Nintendo console?

If the Wii succeeds, will they have proven once and for all that graphics are important only as long as they hit a mass market price? What happens when the PS3 hits that price? Is it possible that Nintendo could release its follow up system (Wii2 or WiiLite?) the day that PS3 goes $300?

These are all questions we should be asking, rather than generic fapping over expected success.

pswii60

norinrad21 said:
Give it up already

Well Mystic makes a good point but in a slightly troll-y kind of way. N64 was mega-hyped, beyond Wii at launch, and in fact did very well for its first couple of years.

I was working in retail (EB in the UK) when Gamecube came out and I won't forget just how hyped it was for a console coming out in May. Queues were huge, demand was blistering for a non-xmas launch. However, by THAT Christmas, when all the Nintendo fans were out the way, Gamecube was already being discounted by WHSmith and they were stopping stock of it in Dixons.

Launch doesn't mean a lot, it's what you do for the next 24 months that really matter, and Nintendo sure have their work cut out for them and with the current release schedule for next year its not looking much better than the Gamecube's first 12 months - with the exception of exclusives by default from EA.

Nintendo need to work real hard and stop 3rd parties shifting cheap crap on their system, and instead get them to thrown some real money and weight behind some large-scale projects specifically for Wii. Nintendo have stockpiles of cash and its about time they used it.

ethelred said:
More than double the GameCube's Japanese launch, and repeated and consistent post-launch day sell-outs in the US are hallmarks of the typical Nintendo launch? I don't recall that being the case at all.

The GC did close to 4 million units sold in 4 months (iirc), i'll be surprised once the Wii beats that number quicker.

Bert

Thespis721 said:
They did say they will sell 4 million by the end of the year. Now they are adding that they will sell SIX by March. So two million to sell in the first two months of the year.

Edit: Heh... sounds stupid. I can do math.

They aren't adding that, they've always predicted 6m by March '07. Now they are considering raising that estimate based on the launch figures.

I thought they were planning on having 4 million sold by the end of the year?

And? They haven't launched in Europe yet, we haven't had revised numbers from the US since 28/11 and there's the biggest console buying month of the year left.

I really love seeing all these people crying about Nintendo doing well. Suck it up, variety is the spice of life and Nitnendo have finally offered a welcome difference to the Sony/MS way.

Also, those saying it's all down to price or all down to Zelda fail. You aren't seeing this hype because of Zelda, you're seeing it because of Wii Sports. You hear that? WII SPORTS! HAHAHAHA

*ahem* Sorry about that. But I really am glad that gaming has a second option now and it doesn't cost £300 and repeat the same formula we've seen for the past decade.

_leech_ said:
The GC did close to 4 million units sold in 4 months (iirc), i'll be surprised once the Wii beats that number quicker.

I'd bet my account that it does it WW in half that time.

I'm happy that Nintendo is off to a great start and doing well, as they deserve it. They were the only ones that thought out of the box and took this huge risk by going in a completely different direction than Microsoft and Sony.

But to declare anyone the victor in this generation already is premature. I view the console race as a marathon and any marathon is never won at the very beginning. Nintendo is sprinting very fast right now, but it remains to be seen if they can keep this up for the next 5 years or so.

In any case, this generation is going to be very fun to follow and play. Never in any generation have we, as consumers, been offered such a wide breadth of choices, in terms of content and technology. This is a perfect example of why competition breeds innovation and we, as consumers, all win in the end.

X26

Banned
Wii is the most marketable system ever. I've never seen a PS or Xbox get as much coverage on talk shows and such, and now on all those shoes the Wii is showing up in their annual holiday buyers guides. Wii being #1 really doesn't seem as far fetched as I once thught

_leech_ said:

According to VGCharts.Com the GC sold 3.8 million in 2001 in the US and Japan only.

Although Nintendo has the capability (At least it sounds like they do) to produce Wii in larger quantities for US and Japan launch they have deliberatly kept supply lower to produce lines. This isnt a bad plan, but pure numbers wise it is interesting to note that the Wii will sell less in it's first week in the US then the GCN did. In the November 2001 NPD had GCN at about 625K sold in the US during it's first 7 days. Today we get the November 2006 NPD and Nintendo has already said the Wii sold ~600K in all of North America for the first 8 days of launch (The last Sunday falls in the December NPD). So probably 450K-500K in the US for the Wii first 7 days. Will Nintendo sell another 700K-800K in the US alone in December to meet the GCN launch in the US?

Top Bottom