• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii and one million breakthrough "Sales success"

choc_cake said:
Other than sales (because more old hardware can be built) I really don't see a difference. I guess you really do have a short memory.

My memory is fine. Right now I see someone who's afraid of what could happen. YOU.

linsivvi

choc_cake said:
Other than sales (because more old hardware can be built) I really don't see a difference. I guess you really do have a short memory.

You wouldn't see too many families playing the Gamecube together.

Pimpbaa

gamergirly said:
There's nothing distorted about reality. Are you going to actually say that Gamecube and Wii were equals on launch hype, sales, expectations, and leverage over the competition? There's more than a "little" difference in one or more of those categories....

All I know is that the gamecube was cheaper and had powerful hardware for it's time, but was very easy to obtain during the holiday season. Now we have a more expensive system (in the US at least), based on last gen hardware, and it's incredibly hard to get your hands on one. It's very obviously that nintendo is reaching for beyond it's niche with the Wii, and it seems to be work so far. I've seen people that barely touched video games before wanting to try the Wii.

choc_cake

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Wii will succeed in the long run simply because the play experience is so different and Nintendo will take advantage of that.

The DS did not need Pokemon or the Game Boy name to demolish the PSP. Nintendogs, Brain Training, and touchscreen did a good enough job of that.

I don't see Sony/MS offering that type of content. The Wii has huge interest in different demographics. This complicates things for Sony especailly IMO. Sony's used to being the "cool" one. Now they're being upstaged at their own game.

I love the DS, I really do. I hate when Nintendo fans say "oh, the Wii is the same as the DS."

The DS is a completely different market and a completely different sell than that of the wii.
The DS is a fun, portable, pick up and instantly play handheld. It is priced for most people out there and it is self contained (meaning it has everything that you need to play a game out of the box. This is where Nintendo has always done really well with.

With handhelds you don't have to have the latest and greatest hardware and you don't have to have the best graphical games. All you need are games that are fun to play easy to pick up and play.

The PSP's games are not as fun and it is not selling. Why is that?

1) Games are not pick up and play and are not easy to get into (they are complicated like console games) and they take forever to load.
2) The games are not innovative, they are the same kinds of games you can play on the PS2.
3) The price

Sony is trying to take a console and put it into a handheld and it simply does not work and the same thing if Nintendo takes a DS and tries to make it into a console.

The console and handheld markets are two different markets and they cannot compete with each other.

With a DS it just works and plays games. With a Wii, you expect more and it also does not come with everything you need (Ie TV set) and you have to spend time of hooking it up.

You can't use the DS for the success in the wii. The DS is it's own handheld in it's own maket and the wii has nothing to do with it.

So sure it sold one million because the consoles were there and a lot of Nintendo fanboys liked it, but that is a far cry from being market leader later on next year.

dyls

choc_cake said:
I love the DS, I really do. I hate when Nintendo fans say "oh, the Wii is the same as the DS."

The DS is a completely different market and a completely different sell than that of the wii.
The DS is a fun, portable, pick up and instantly play handheld. It is priced for most people out there and it is self contained (meaning it has everything that you need to play a game out of the box. This is where Nintendo has always done really well with.

With handhelds you don't have to have the latest and greatest hardware and you don't have to have the best graphical games. All you need are games that are fun to play easy to pick up and play.

1) Games are not pick up and play and are not easy to get into (they are complicated like console games) and they take forever to load.
2) The games are not innovative, they are the same kinds of games you can play on the PS2.
3) The price

Sony is trying to take a console and put it into a handheld and it simply does not work and the same thing if Nintendo takes a DS and tries to make it into a console.

The console and handheld markets are two different markets and they cannot compete with each other.

With a DS it just works and plays games. With a Wii, you expect more and it also does not come with everything you need (Ie TV set) and you have to spend time of hooking it up.

You can't use the DS for the success in the wii. The DS is it's own handheld in it's own maket and the wii has nothing to do with it.

So sure it sold one million because the consoles were there and a lot of Nintendo fanboys liked it, but that is a far cry from being market leader later on next year.

Somehow, against all odds, your arguments are actually getting worse.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
choc_cake said:

Wow...if my memory serves correct: just about EVERYTHING about the GCN was negatively perceived by everyone inside & outside of the industry...BEFORE it even launched.
-controller looked like a toy
-pastel purple
-bad advertising
-for kids
-no DVD
-looked like a lunchbox
-name was easily confused with X-BOX by outsiders 'cos box = cube...seriously, that WAS a problem
-no real "killer ap" at launch

Alot of those problem perceptions have been either negated or completly reversed especially in the gaming/mainstream media thanks to how "new" the gameplay is.

Sales aside ('cos every system sells out at launch) the hype about Wii is still strong besides...and when you take into account Nintendo's strategy (as you put it weaker repeat hardware makes for more profit, lower price & higher production output) and the general outlook overall is very possitive by those inside & outside the business...almost total opposite of GCN.

Nintendo has always had image issues, but Wii is an image focused product for the company, unlike GCN.

GCN had alot of HOPE...Wii is more genuinly put: HYPE!

choc_cake said:

3) The price

We'll see. You wouldn't be the first skeptic on this board that Iwata has made say "daddy" six months later. :)

BTW get one thing straight ... prior to Nintendogs and the DS starting to get different styles of games, the PSP was actually outselling the DS, even in Japan. Face it ... the hardcore gamer is not the only gamer. There are lots of people who just want something that is accessible and relatable to them. Nintendo is cashing in on this fact. Modern gaming just isn't relatable to many people. Back in the day, everyone tried Super Mario Bros. Your sister, parents, etc. Does this happen anymore? Try putting Gears of War infront of a family. The answer is no. With Wii, this is changing.

choc_cake

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
All I know is that the gamecube was cheaper and had powerful hardware for it's time, but was very easy to obtain during the holiday season. Now we have a more expensive system (in the US at least), based on last gen hardware, and it's incredibly hard to get your hands on one. It's very obviously that nintendo is reaching for beyond it's niche with the Wii, and it seems to be work so far. I've seen people that barely touched video games before wanting to try the Wii.

Sorry if I seem a little frustrated but you guys just don't seem to get it, over and over and over again.

The gamecube came out at $199 in 2001 (in the USA). The wii is $50.00 more at $249, but inflation has increased all the consoles up and the more advanced consoles are selling at a higher price. Xbox 1 sold for $299 at launch in 2001, the Xbox 360 sells for $399 in 2006 and of course sony at $499 or $599.

So when you compare $249 to $399 or $499 (which is cheaper today?). Yes, so the wii is cheaper than the other two again.

Now, the wii has the advantage of using old hardware to sell more consoles. If Microsoft or Sony used old PS2 hardware and Xbox hardware, they would have sold a million at launch as well.

So what have we learned.

Lower price than the other two + the number of wii's available because it is older hardware and easy to manufacture + Christmas hype = sales.

It is really not that hard kids.

Now as for the parents playing the new controller, sure it makes games easier for them to play and have a blast. We all know that. However, just because you bring the wii over to your uncles house and people play (who never play video games before) does not mean that they are going to go out and buy one.

I know that most of you are being overoptmistic here and assume that everyone that is playing on a wii must buy one of their own, but I don't think that is the case.

Why? Because most of them will think they are great for parties but not something they want to purchase. I know, because I have asked this question to many non gamers myself.

choc_cake said:
Sorry if I seem a little frustrated but you guys just don't seem to get it, over and over and over again.

The gamecube came out at $199 in 2001 (in the USA). The wii is $50.00 more at $249, but inflation has increased all the consoles up and the more advanced consoles are selling at a higher price. Xbox 1 sold for $299 at launch in 2001, the Xbox 360 sells for $399 in 2006 and of course sony at $499 or $599.

So when you compare $249 to $399 or $499 (which is cheaper today?). Yes, so the wii is cheaper than the other two again.

Now, the wii has the advantage of using old hardware to sell more consoles. If Microsoft or Sony used old PS2 hardware and Xbox hardware, they would have sold a million at launch as well.

So what have we learned.

Lower price than the other two + the number of wii's available because it is older hardware and easy to manufacture + Christmas hype = sales.

It is really not that hard kids.

Now as for the parents playing the new controller, sure it makes games easier for them to play and have a blast. We all know that. However, just because you bring the wii over to your uncles house and people play (who never play video games before) does not mean that they are going to go out and buy one.

I know that most of you are being overoptmistic here and assume that everyone that is playing on a wii must buy one of their own, but I don't think that is the case.

Why? Because most of them will think they are great for parties but not something they want to purchase. I know, because I have asked this question to many non gamers myself.

Bottom line is Nintendo has a chance with this audience.

Sony or Microsoft? No chance in hell.

Nintendo doesn't need every non-gamer to buy a Wii. 10 million copies of Nintendogs though ... who's buying those? Is it all hardcore gamers? Obviously Nintendo is doing something right.

The other difference is Japan. Nintendo is leading in Japan actually. With the GCN, the PS2 already had a 10+ million unit headstart there ... it was over before it began. If the Wii continues to lead for a while in Japan (likely) they will get a lot more 3rd party support.

Sony has used the "kiddie" image and the content difference to their advantage .... I don't think they can bully Nintendo around on those points any more. They don't have a headstart this time or a massive mindshare advantage. I think Sony is the bigger question mark right now.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
soundwave05 said:
We'll see. You wouldn't be the first skeptic on this board that Iwata has made say "daddy" six months later. :)

BTW get one thing straight ... prior to Nintendogs and the DS starting to get different styles of games, the PSP was actually outselling the DS, even in Japan. Face it ... the hardcore gamer is not the only gamer. There are lots of people who just want something that is accessible and relatable to them.

Well said...I know alot of people who are NOT Nintendo fans who want a Wii, so his argument holds no weight there either.

As far as replicating the NDS effect into Wii...yeah, they're 2 different markets, but what will matter either way is the games. Wii will have the same "kick in the ass of innovation & gameplay" that NDS brought to the table software wise...and that is due to Nintendo's new approach to the hardware.

Log4Girlz

For some reason I want Nintendo to win this round of the console wars...just so I can rub into some fanboy's face that Nintendo won with a console named after pee.

choc_cake

Banned
soundwave05 said:

BTW get one thing straight ... prior to Nintendogs and the DS starting to get different styles of games, the PSP was actually outselling the DS, even in Japan. Face it ... the hardcore gamer is not the only gamer. There are lots of people who just want something that is accessible and relatable to them. Nintendo is cashing in on this fact. Modern gaming just isn't relatable to many people. Back in the day, everyone tried Super Mario Bros. Your sister, parents, etc. Does this happen anymore? Try putting Gears of War infront of a family. The answer is no. With Wii, this is changing.

Lets get this strait, non gamers love the DS and that is all they are really going to care about. I never said hardcore camers are the ones that only matter for a handheld.

The handheld was made for the non gamer (they don't have to do anything but pull it out of a box to play a game and it is portible). That is why I mentioned it.

Console gaming isn't really ment for the non-gamer while handhelds are. Nintendo is trying to make this work with wii using a simpiler controller and while non gamers will play it, they are unlikey to purchase it.

The majority of people purchasing the wii at launch are not non-gamers.

There is a huge difference between someone who does not play games at thanksgiving and having fun with it, verses a non gamer who actually buy's the wii for themselves. They might buy it for their kids though.

choc_cake said:
Lets get this strait, non gamers love the DS and that is all they are really going to care about. I never said hardcore camers are the ones that only matter for a handheld.

The handheld was made for the non gamer (they don't have to do anything but pull it out of a box to play a game and it is portible). That is why I mentioned it.

Console gaming isn't really ment for the non-gamer while handhelds are. Nintendo is trying to make this work with wii using a simpiler controller and while non gamers will play it, they are unlikey to purchase it.

There is a huge difference between someone who does not play games at thanksgiving and having fun with it, verses a non gamer who actually buy's the wii for themselves. They might buy it for their kids though.

Doesn't matter. Mindshare is more important and in that regard, the Wii and GameCube couldn't be more different.

The Wii is cool. Maxim loves it. College aged girls love it (this demographic is magic for Nintendo IMO). Guys can't hate on it ... it's funny, but it's true. The non-gamer thing really hurts the people who like to play up the "Nintendo is for kids". When they see a group of girls who like the DS Lite or Wii ... well then they're the ones that look like they're out of touch. The mainstream press is raving about it. Parents are dying to find one.

This is not a regular console launch. Honestly, since when does a console launch ever have lineups every time there's a new shipment come in? That only happens for things like Tickle Me Elmo, it's never happened for game consoles before.

Not even the mythic PS2 launch got this type of a response. So why is this important ... because unfortunately image is really what defines a platform. Even moreso than content. This is what Nintendo never figured out with the GameCube. They had to learn the hard way.

choc_cake

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
Well said...I know alot of people who are NOT Nintendo fans who want a Wii, so his argument holds no weight there either.

As far as replicating the NDS effect into Wii...yeah, they're 2 different markets, but what will matter either way is the games. Wii will have the same "kick in the ass of innovation & gameplay" that NDS brought to the table software wise...and that is due to Nintendo's new approach to the hardware.

The DS can play a lot of the same games as wii (Trama Center), it is portible, it is self contained (nothing else is needed to play games). It just works perfectly for non gamers to take with them.

The wii is a home console and is nothing like the DS and will have less games for it than the DS.

The majority of the people who bought the wii for launch are either nintendo fans, have loved nintendo in the past, or non-nintendo gamers that really want to see what all the hype is about, there is also people who want to buy it for christmas for their kids as it is the latest thing.

The non gamers are not going to buy the wii, they are going to buy the DS (unless it is for their kids).

The wii is not portable and it is not self contained (you need to hook it up to your TV) and it is a more complicated process that is not fit for non-gamers and it is more expensive than that of the DS.

The DS is just a much better sell to the non-gamer.

choc_cake said:
The DS can play a lot of the same games as wii (Trama Center), it is portible, it is self contained (nothing else is needed to play games). It just works perfectly for non gamers to take with them.

The wii is a home console and is nothing like the DS and will have less games for it than the DS.

The majority of the people who bought the wii for launch are either nintendo fans, have loved nintendo in the past, or non-nintendo gamers that really want to see what all the hype is about, there is also people who want to buy it for christmas for their kids as it is the latest thing.

The non gamers are not going to buy the wii, they are going to buy the DS (unless it is for their kids).

The wii is not portable and it is not self contained (you need to hook it up to your TV) and it is a more complicated process that is not fit for non-gamers and it is more expensive than that of the DS.

Give up.

choc_cake said:

Not many college aged kids have time for a portable device. Everyone has a TV in their dorm though. The Wii has appeal that even the DS potentially can not have. The Wii also has that whole retro-gaming appeal going for it. So that's a two way street.

My sister and her friends tried out the Wii yesterday and they loved it. Today one of her friends went to three different stores trying to get one (no luck). But she wouldn't get a DS simply because between a cell phone, iPod, there's only so much real estate in a busy person's pocket.

The Wii is something you can come home to and chill out with. The social experience is exactly what makes it fun ... playing with your friends.

The Mii Channel I also predict will be fuggin' HUGE when Nintendo starts to get that going. I'm amazed at how people just become enchanted by it. Such a simple idea ... but such great execution. The whole idea of "channels" is brillaint. Wii Beauty, Wii Cooking, Wii Karaoke can be channels rather than games and still have a huge impact. I can see exactly what Nintendo is going for.

choc_cake

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Doesn't matter. Mindshare is more important and in that regard, the Wii and GameCube couldn't be more different.

The Wii is cool. Maxim loves it. College aged girls love it (this demographic is magic for Nintendo IMO). Guys can't hate on it ... it's funny, but it's true. The non-gamer thing really hurts the people who like to play up the "Nintendo is for kids". When they see a group of girls who like the DS Lite or Wii ... well then they're the ones that look like they're out of touch. The mainstream press is raving about it. Parents are dying to find one.

This is not a regular console launch. Honestly, since when does a console launch ever have lineups every time there's a new shipment come in? That only happens for things like Tickle Me Elmo, it's never happened for game consoles before.

Not even the mythic PS2 launch got this type of a response. So why is this important ... because unfortunately image is really what defines a platform. Even moreso than content. This is what Nintendo never figured out with the GameCube. They had to learn the hard way.

The wii is cool because it is a new big item for Christmas. Will the wii be cool two years from now, probably not.

Don't you guys know anything about Christmas sales and how it works?

Each year a new item that is new and sexy is the in thing for Christmas.
People see this new way to control games and I call it Christmas hype.

Last year it was the same thing about the 360, people were dying to get one and stood in line several times. Don't you even remember. The only single difference is the amount of consoles avaible.

Are you the kind of Nintendo fans that hide in a cave except when Nintendo comes out?
Don't you remember the chaos from last year?

It's just really sad that I have to type this out.

choc_cake said:
The wii is cool because it is a new big item for Christmas. Will the wii be cool two years from now, probably not.

Last year it was the same thing about the 360, people were dying to get one and stood in line several times. Don't you even remember. The only single difference is the amount of consoles avaible.

Are you the kind of Nintendo fans that hide in a cave except when Nintendo comes out?

Yes .... and if you're lucky enough to be that "it" item for that said Christmas, it creates a strong impression among consumers.

10 years later *everyone* still knows what Tickle Me Elmo is. 10 freaking years later. You can't make an advertising campaign that good. You can't buy that kind of mindshare.

People also said the same thing about another Christmas craze. You might remember it. It was called ... what was it ... hmmm ... let me think ... oh yeah POKEMON. There were people who swore up and down this was just some silly fad, it would pass.

Eight years later ... still a huge seller. You underestimate how important a first impression is for a product. I think Sony won the last console race even before it started just off mindshare. Sega could do nothing right and Sony could do nothing wrong once Sony had the "masses" thinking how they wanted them to.

Like in Gladiator ... Maximus' mentor tells him "win the crowd ... and win your freedom" ... mindshare is like that for game consoles :lol

Log4Girlz

soundwave05 said:
Yes .... and if you're lucky enough to be that "it" item for that said Christmas, it creates a strong impression among consumers.

10 years later *everyone* still knows what Tickle Me Elmo is. 10 freaking years later. You can't make an advertising campaign that good. You can't buy that kind of mindshare.

People also said the same thing about another Christmas craze. You might remember it. It was called ... what was it ... hmmm ... let me think ... oh yeah POKEMON.

Eight years later ... still a huge seller. You underestimate how important a first impression is for a product. I think Sony won the last console race even before it started just off mindshare. Sega could do nothing right and Sony could do nothing wrong once Sony had the "masses" thinking how they wanted them to.

Its been 10 years already? Goddamn.

choc_cake

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Not many college aged kids have time for a portable device. Everyone has a TV in their dorm though. The Wii has appeal that even the DS potentially can not have. The Wii also has that whole retro-gaming appeal going for it. So that's a two way street.

My sister and her friends tried out the Wii yesterday and they loved it. Today one of her friends went to three different stores trying to get one (no luck). But she wouldn't get a DS simply because between a cell phone, iPod, there's only so much real estate in a busy person's pocket.

The Wii is something you can come home to and chill out with. The social experience is exactly what makes it fun ... playing with your friends.

The Mii Channel I also predict will be fuggin' HUGE when Nintendo starts to get that going. I'm amazed at how people just become enchanted by it. Such a simple idea ... but such great execution.

What are you talking about Portable devices are great for college kids. Did you even go to college?

Retro gaming? I can already do that without the wii, anyone can really. The VC is the least impressive thing about the wii in my opinion.

I agree with Scoot (Luke from 1up), you are just basically buying the same games you bought over and over and over again.

This is why I have a hard time understanding Nintendo fans.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
choc_cake said:
"The Wii is a home console that's all about party games and playing with your friends or family, including people who truly aren't into gaming thanks to its incredibly easy to pick up controller"
choc_cake said:
Oh I like that one "The majority of the Wii buyers either are nitendo fans, or aren't. There are also people who want to buy it for christmas"

BRILLIANT!
choc_cake said:
Handheld means you need to have the time to play it out of your couch (because when you're at home, you usually don't play handhelds). People who live in dorms and such have no need for handhelds, they'll buy a Wii
choc_cake said:
The wii is not portable and it is not self contained (you need to hook it up to your TV)
Oh come on, this argument is so flawed it's not even funny, even europe has TVs everywhere and since the Wii outputs 480p max you can hook it to pretty much any TV you come by and it'll work np (some dude even hooked his Wii to a 1.5" TV)

choc_cake said:

Oh my goodness. If you cannot admit that there is a difference between Gamecube and the Wii, then you are blind. The previous posters are right. The new strategy that Nintendo is engaging in is working. You can point out all the differences you want between the DS and the Wii but the ones that matter show that they are very similar. Nintendo is indeed expanding the market and it shows in that it is winning consumer mindshare.

Your point about Christmas is utterly retarded. By that logic, EVERYTHING would be hot during Christmas. From what I can glean from the media, the Wii leads in pre-Christmas hype. This isn't because of Christmas. The Wii stands by its own merits. If the system launched in May, the hype would be similar since the media is praising its control system. Time magazine did not call Wii Sports the best video game of all time because it's Christmas.

"It's just really sad that I have to type this out."

choc_cake said:
What are you talking about Portable devices are great for college kids. Did you even go to college?

Retro gaming? I can already do that without the wii, anyone can really. The VC is the least impressive thing about the wii in my opinion.

I agree with Scoot (Luke from 1up), you are just basically buying the same games you bought over and over and over again.

This is why I have a hard time understanding Nintendo fans.

Put a Wii infront of a group of college aged girls. Put a PS3 next to it. See which one creates a stronger reaction.

Nintendo fans ... hardcore gamers of any stripe ... they have nothing to do with it. College kids are more into doing social activities in their free time, not burying their head into a portable handheld. That's one advantage Wii has over the DS in terms of appealling to non-gamers. You can play Wii at a party or just a regular get together in your dorm ... the DS ... not so much.

The reason why you don't "get" the Virtual Console is most people haven't played a lot of those games since they were really young. It brings back a lot of great memories. Not everyone is a PC nerd who replays old games via emulators and illegal ROM dumps. I hear over and over again from people in their 20s that they don't care for modern gaming, but they loved "game X" back in the day. I don't think that's ancedontal, it's a real issue.

Deku

Banned
As I already said in the Nov NPD thread, SHIP THE DAMN WIIs.
ITS SOLD OUT. NOT SPOT SHORTAGES.

I want to make a good cap gain on my stocks next year. I need outperform sales data!

edit: I also need a Wii for myself and I still can't find one.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
choc_cake said:

Dude, you're stating the obvious when it comes to Christmas sales + new system launch hype...we're not arguing against that so I dunno why you keep bringing it up?

The NDS success transfering to (or should I say, transfusing with) Wii could be argued all day since they're 2 different markets (portable vs console). HOWEVER, what matters in either market is games...once there's a Nintendog's-like phenom on Wii, everyone will eat those "Wii isn't NDS" words.

And you're also comparing GCN to Wii as if they were both perceived possitively...hell no...this can't be argued here, Wii in all manners of the word hype is something more talked about/sought after than GCN was when it launched.

Also...I really hate how Nintendo fans are perceieved as one collective hive that all think the same. I'm a Nintendo only gamer, but I know of all kinds of Nintendo fans and none of them think the same about games.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What the hell is Choc arguing? Hell, just looking at the Japanese Wii and GC launches and comparing show a galaxy of difference.

neptunes

I seriously hope they dont squander this opportunity

hurry up with the games, opera browser, wifi connection, etc...

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
What the hell is Choc arguing? Hell, just looking at the Japanese Wii and GC launches and comparing show a galaxy of difference.

Reality is a harsh mistress, apparently.

It appears that choc_cake has retreated. His posts simply degenerated as time went on. He just double talks and retreats into his enclave while condemning his opponents for missing his point.

Anyways choc_cake, please keep this in mind

retard.jpg

DrGAKMAN

Banned
neptunes said:
I seriously hope they dont squander this opportunity

hurry up with the games, opera browser, wifi connection, etc...

I think they're planning things out in phases...like with NDS. What's really going to be telling is how PokeMon does across both platforms. We know it's going to sell, but is there gonna be alot of NDS/Wii crossing over? That's a phase in both Wii & NDS's strategy I think....something that brings all the promise of connectivity as well as Nintendo going online together with Nintendo strongest franchise. Something that simple could just catapult both platforms beyond what naysayers ever thought possible.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
choc_cake said:

I agree completely and am bugged by the way nintendo keeps claiming it's the same sell with 'new ways to play' and the way they keep saying "Just like with the DS we see....." what's that all about, why do they keep saying that it's the same sell, when it's a clearly different sell, as evidenced by you.

choc_cake

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
Dude, you're stating the obvious when it comes to Christmas sales + new system launch hype...we're not arguing against that so I dunno why you keep bringing it up?

The NDS success transfering to (or should I say, transfusing with) Wii could be argued all day since they're 2 different markets (portable vs console). HOWEVER, what matters in either market is games...once there's a Nintendog's-like phenom on Wii, everyone will eat those "Wii isn't NDS" words.

And you're also comparing GCN to Wii as if they were both perceived possitively...hell no...this can't be argued here, Wii in all manners of the word hype is something more talked about/sought after than GCN was when it launched.

Also...I really hate how Nintendo fans are perceieved as one collective hive that all think the same. I'm a Nintendo only gamer, but I know of all kinds of Nintendo fans and none of them think the same about games.

My point is that it is obvious and it is not because the wii will succede long term.
A lot of people on here keep saying that Nintendo is the King and that it is in first place and all of this hype and my point of being obivious was that is just not the case.

The entire point is that the wii is not as big as Nintendo fans are making it out to be. Not yet at least. In two years will the hype be the same, I would guess a big no.

The DS is a success yes (without a doubt), but the wii has not obtained anywhere close to that (however the posts on here say that Nintendo fans believe that the wii has or will).

Deku

Banned
oh I think its fair to say that the DS success =! Wii success has been debunked. There's spillover effects for sure. There's a lot of reasons I don't have time to get into right now, but simply making a true statement,--that portable market =! console market does not make your argument suddenly true.

Here's something bite sized for choc to chew on. DS success and exceeding consumer expectations generated a ton of goodwill and curious gamers for the Wii to capture.

choc_cake

Banned
Deku said:
oh I think its fair to say that the DS success =! Wii success has been debunked. There's a lot of reasons for that, but simply making a true statement, that portable market =! console market does not make your argument suddenly true.

DS generated a ton of goodwill and curious gamers for the Wii to captured and capture(d) it has.

Nintendo sells a million units world wide and nintendo fans go insane.
It does make a lot of sense.

one million units for Christmas does not equal (!=) the DS's sucsess.
Sorry, it does not. The NPD numbers show differently.

There is not enough evidence that this thing is going to do any better than the gamecube over time. Sorry, I am not a believer. It maybe that I don't have nintendo rose colored glasses.

Pellham

Banned
choc_cake said:

The nongamer market is a ****load bigger than the hardcore gamer market. I hope you finally realize that at some point.

choc_cake

Banned
Pellham said:
The nongamer market is a ****load bigger than the hardcore gamer market. I hope you finally realize that at some point.

yeah, and they all play on Nintendo DS systems. A wii is just too involved to be seriously hooked up for non gamers. Playing the wii for thanksgiving is one thing, but buying one is another thing altogether.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Wii is the most fun I've ever had playing video games with my parents, ever. I won't be surprised at all if this sort of accessibility makes the Wii a DS-sized success (among many other reasons)

And even though the "console wars lol dicks cocks" won't pan out for a few years, there is no disputing Nintendo is back in a big way. I was a child the last time Nintendo had this much mindshare, and that was back during the days of NES and the original Gameboy. For example, I don't think the Gamecube would have been picked as having "The Best Week Ever" on VH1.

Yamauchi

Banned
I like this little bit at the end of a Reuters report:

Nintendo shares have doubled in value over the past year, buoyed by strong DS sales and soaring expectations for the Wii, outshining a 4.6 percent gain in the Nikkei.

Yes, doubling is a little better than 4.6% growth.

choc_cake said:
Nintendo sells a million units world wide and nintendo fans go insane.
It does make a lot of sense.

one million units for Christmas does not equal (!=) the DS's sucsess.
Sorry, it does not. The NPD numbers show differently.

There is not enough evidence that this thing is going to do any better than the gamecube over time. Sorry, I am not a believer. It maybe that I don't have nintendo rose colored glasses.

No one is going insane. Your first point about how there is not enough evidence to prove that the Wii will lead the coming generation is fine and valid though the signs show that is possible.

This new point is the one that everyone takes issue with. The Wii will exceed the Gamecube no matter how you spin it. You never answer the points regarding mainstream acclaim, the overwhelming amount of anecdotal evidence, and positive Wii news. You can't answer it because these launch conditions are completely different from the one shrouding the Gamecube. This ensures that the Wii will exceed the Gamecube. Once again, a Time editorial declared Wii Sports as the greatest game in history. There was no app that merited that type of attention on the Gamecube.

Bookmark this thread for the future; you will be so wrong. If Nintendo rose is the same color as reality, I guess I do happen to wear those glasses.

AniHawk

choc_cake said:
yeah, and they all play on Nintendo DS systems. A wii is just too involved to be seriously hooked up for non gamers. Playing it for thanksgiving is one thing, but buyine one is another thing altogether.

Yeah, because now you actually get to have something that cool and that fun all to yourself.

apujanata

This thread is golden. After we got to April 07, we should revisit this thread, and laugh at the person who made a wrong prediction.

Myself, I will keep on playing my Zelda & Wii Sports, between today and April 07 (probably I will finish Zelda by Dec, so Wii Sports from Jan - April 07).

choc_cake said:
yeah, and they all play on Nintendo DS systems. A wii is just too involved to be seriously hooked up for non gamers. Playing the wii for thanksgiving is one thing, but buying one is another thing altogether.

Why are they completely different things? As a consumer, I'd like to test out items before I buy them. If I like it and it is affordable, what prevents me from purchasing it?

What do you mean by too involved? Hooking it up is as complicated as hooking up a DVD player. Further, you have absolutely no proof for this statement.

I am curious. Who do you think will become the leader in the new generation and why?

You obviously have some preconceived notions about a winner. If you don't, then your prediction about the Gamecube equalling the Wii fails because it all revolves around the idea that there isn't enough evidence to make predictions. If that's true, then why are you so keen on predicting a failure?

choc_cake said:

I suppose Wii Sports outselling Zelda in Japan also is because hardcore rabid Nintendo fans just love ... tennis.

And of course Nintendogs selling 10 million units is all Nintendo faithful and people who are too retarded to hook up a game system to a television set.

It's a f-cking conspiracy! Wii am GC2!

Linkup

apujanata said:
Myself, I will keep on playing my Zelda & Wii Sports, between today and April 07 (probably I will finish Zelda by Dec, so Wii Sports from Jan - April 07).

I hear ya. With school and such my Zelda and Wii sports progress has been pretty slow though I'm really only playing tennis right now. Should be getting C:poR soon and that will only get finished once I hit break.

choc_cake

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
No one is going insane. Your first point about how there is not enough evidence to prove that the Wii will lead the coming generation is fine and valid though the signs show that is possible.

This new point is the one that everyone takes issue with. The Wii will exceed the Gamecube no matter how you spin it. You never answer the points regarding mainstream acclaim, the overwhelming amount of anecdotal evidence, and positive Wii news. You can't answer it because these launch conditions are completely different from the one shrouding the Gamecube. This ensures that the Wii will exceed the Gamecube. Once again, a Time editorial declared Wii Sports as the greatest game in history. There was no app that merited that type of attention on the Gamecube.

Bookmark this thread for the future; you will be so wrong. If Nintendo rose is the same color as reality, I guess I do happen to wear those glasses.

Maybe it is because Nintendo fans have not seen this hype in a while. It has happened for Sony and Micorosoft for awhile now. Microsoft had quite a few time articles (remember the one with Bill Gates on the cover with the Xbox 360.

This is just Christmas launch hype. I see this every year. I don't see it really as a big deal. It is hype that hypes up the consoles for the holiday.

Sony has been having some negative press because of the price and not having the consoles around.

The only difference is that Nintendo can hit a million consoles for the holiday season because they have more consoles to sell. They have more consoles to sell because the hardware is from 2001 and overclocked (not exactly a big deal).

What is the big deal (other than more consoles to sell) between this launch and last years 360 launch?

Sure more families are involved and girlfriends are involved but they probably none of them will buy one.

Also families were involved last year with stories of soccer moms loving up Xbox Live Arcade.

I guess I don't see this as a big deal like a lot of you Nintendo folks. I just think it is a normal launch with more consoles and christmas hype.

I really don't think there is a long term impact from all of this like there was with the DS and we already talked about why that was.

Diffense

Nintendo does best when it has something a little odd-ball.
I think Wii will work out fine.
A head start over PS3 and good publicity can't hurt.
Apart from the weight of Nintendo's legacy in the handheld market, Wii's circumstances so far might be even more favorable than the start the DS had against PSP.

Funny that Nintendo might succeed in making Sony look like the old-fashioned dinosaur that is stuck in its ways. After all, Sony has had the limelight for the past 2 generations and PS3 is a lot like PS2 and PSX, though every-thing in it is thing-er. Yes they were winning formulae, but some subconscious fatigue in the consumer base might increase the appeal of something a bit weird, different and cheap.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
choc_cake said:
Dude, the point of the Wii is that it's not "involved" at all, you pick up the controller and you just know how to play without much of that learning nonsense.

Plus most people are in social activities, and the Wii truly is a social console, it's meant to be brought to a party or a friend's house (small form factor, light, ...), hooked in and then the fun just starts.

Handheld is all very good, but it's an extremely solitary activity, the kind of things you do when you're bored and pretty much alone, the situations where people used to read books to pass time.

Not so with the Wii, because one of the Wii's goal -- and it seems to be running with the ball so far -- is to enjoy playing with your friends, family, colleagues, whatever. And that's extremely important for "non-gamers" crowd, they are going to be interested once they try the system (remember, playing is believing), and they're going to be interested because some guys are going to start bringing Wiis at parties.

No the DS success doesn't mean the Wii will be successful, but the DS success created a brand new awareness of nintendo systems. And the DS showed Nintendo "The Path". If anything, I think the Wii has an even greater potential for success than the DS ever had, in and out of Japan.

Now I don't know if the Wii will be that successful, but I pray it will, and I do think it will. It's generating a lot of buzz in europe, it's just started setting Japan ablaze, and it seems to be doing well in the US. In the "mainstream, non-gaming press/markets", I mean. For hell's sake, pretty much every "news" outlet (including the Colbert Report) mentioned the Wii, even in Yurop!

Top Bottom