• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii and one million breakthrough "Sales success"

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
mysticstylez said:
Any console would sell 1million units at launch if they had that many available.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

And that is not taking anything away from the Wii launch. At least people have chance of getting one unlike a $#%)(! PS3.

Karishin

Banned
shantyman said:

And that is not taking anything away from the Wii launch. At least people have chance of getting one unlike a $#%)(! PS3.

Funny you say that, cause the Wii is just as hard to get as a PS3, I can't find either around here.

My sincere condolences to all those who claimed Japan no longer mattered...

miyamoto_iwata.jpg

J-Rzez

Well boys... the next gen war is over apparently... it was a grueling, painful, tiring, and LONG battle... but, after that month, it's all over...

To those with a collective IQ of that matching a bag of hammers

I heard Sony and MS are thinking about regrouping and combining their remaining forces to try and stop the juggernaut that is the mighty Wii... or they just may go third party for the big N...

cvxfreak said:
I hope Red Steel is a success. It's simply a good game.
you aren't being sarcastic are you?

i might have to check it out. i sense we have a similar taste in games. i'm still holding out on far cry: something or other on the really slim chance it gets decent reviews.

i know. try to hold back the laughter.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Hmm this thread hasn't really gone anywhere...

Still...I've enjoyed the read...and some good posts...plus utterly cráp trolling!:D

I have to agree with who ever said...if Nintendo has Japan they can then take over elsewhere...:)

the Wii being $250 instead of $200, that extra $50 wii're paying is to make up for the low price of the Nintendo 64 which was supposed to be priced at $250, but got cut to $200 almost at the last minute. :) see, Nintendo always gets back it's money somehow :lol

Mau ®

That's great for Nintendo. Its the first next gen machine to hit 1 million so fast.

I'll get one once FF:CC hits or Mario Party hit the scene. Prolly next year around XMAS.

polluar

for your information the daily newspaper "le Parisien" stated today that there were 90 000 reservations for the wii in France :eek:

impressive for France

Buggy Loop

Right now, as in not thinking about what could happen in 2k7 for all 3 consoles, i've never seen such a craze over a console launch, its been nearly 3 weeks now and i havent seen a single wii box in stores, i made a dozen long distance calls to places where i thought peoples wouldnt even know that wii existed and it was all sold out. In the meantime, 1 week after PS3's launch i saw 2 at zellers, a wednesday 5pm (not a new shipment). Tomorow there's supposed to be a wii shipment in canada, and even though i'll call walmart @ 8am when it opens to see if its there, i dont even think i'll manage to get one, i went there a few days ago to buy a CD, peoples that are heading in the electronic division litterally take the first turn to the gaming section, pass the PS3 (here its PS3/psp/Wii/DS/360/PS2 in that order) and grab the nearest worker almost by the shirt to know if they have some in the warehouse and when they'll get more. Calling them now, you just ask "please transfer me to the electronic department" and they immediatly say "No, we dont have nintendo Wii"...

I've never had such a hard time finding a console. 4M by december 31st? i think they can and would still have more demand than supply.

Zynx

quetz67 said:
It is Nintendo's fault, they are so greedy they now want to make money from the hardware too (at launch already).
More like, all the other companies not so smart to sell stuff at a loss? Even when you talk of the 'razor and razor blades' model - Gillette makes money on BOTH the razor AND the blades!

shantyman said:

Name a retail store that has the Wii in stock. I guarantee every Wii system will be gone by the time one of us gets there.

SoVos20

Banned
The only reason wii sold one million is because nintendo flooded the market. If M$ had shipped 1 million Xbox360 you can bet 1 million would have sold out in a day.

Rushmore

SoVos20 said:
The only reason wii sold one million is because nintendo flooded the market. If M$ had shipped 1 million Xbox360 you can bet 1 million would have sold out in a day.

You're right. It's obvious that Nintendo over-shipped systems. I didn't even want a Wii yet I just had to because they made so many.

PS - Bonus cool points for calling Microsoft M$. Man, that still cracks me up.

inthezone said:
That's great for Nintendo. Its the first next gen machine to hit 1 million so fast.

False. The PS2 sold over 1 million in just 2 days for the Japanese launch alone.

edit: Oh ok, nevermind, i see what you mean.

choc_cake

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Note to Microsoft and Sony:

Pricing, Pricing, Pricing!

ballmer.jpg

Note to Dr. Kitty Muffins:

Pricing is not everything. It is a big deal. However the reason why Nintendo sold so many isn't due to pricing alone. It has to do with the hardware being available as well.

You don't think that if Sony had the units available that they would not also have sold a million?

Same thing with Microsoft last year, you don't think if they had one million units available at launch that people would have not bought them?

A million Wii's sold at lauch means nothing. It is after launch and after all the hype that dies down that is most important. A year or two from now is the big deal.

If the Nintendo wii is selling great a year or two from now, that is when you can get all excited.

You can put out old hardware for a cheaper price than anyone else and still sell a ton and Nintendo will make a huge profit from that. You can produce millions of consoles based on old hardware and have people buy them. It's really no big deal.

I am happy for Nintendo, but don't count your chickens before they hatch.

For next year, what happens if Microsoft drops their console price a $100, then what?

choc_cake

Banned
plagiarize said:
whats to brag about is this.

they managed to get that many made. in other words, they achieved something sony and microsoft couldn't.

Well duh! It's really not hard to make tons of hardware that is basically an overclocked gamecube.
(There is really nothing to brag about here).

I mean use your brain dude.

choc_cake said:
Note to Dr. Kitty Muffins:

Pricing is not everything. It is a big deal. However the reason why Nintendo sold so many isn't due to pricing alone. It has to do with the hardware being available as well.

You don't think that if Sony had the units available that they would not also have sold a million?

Same thing with Microsoft last year, you don't think if they had one million units available at launch that people would have not bought them?

A million Wii's sold at lauch means nothing. It is after launch and after all the hype that dies down that is most important. A year or two from now is the big deal.

If the Nintendo wii is selling great a year or two from now, that is when you can get all excited.

You can put out old hardware for a cheaper price than anyone else and still sell a ton and Nintendo will make a huge profit from that. You can produce millions of consoles based on old hardware and have people buy them. It's really no big deal.

For next year, what happens if Microsoft drops their console price a $100, then what?

You know the CONTROLLER being a little different might have something to do with the appeal of the system too, right? :lol

What did being $100 cheaper do for the GameCube again?

choc_cake

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The 360 and PS3 both could have sold a million at launch IMO. But they couldn't make that many and suffered the conseqeunces. But neither would have done as well afterwards due to pricing.

True next generation games with better graphics, physics, and more enemies on the screen with online or a last generation system with a new controller and only $50 cheaper than a true next generation system.

hmmmmmm I don't know..

P90

choc_cake said:

You are right. This is just launch, but the ownage is in Japan and the US. Let's see what happens in EU and AU. Let's see what happens in 12 months.

If MS drops the 360 than Wii60 ftw.

choc_cake said:
True next generation games with better graphics, physics, and more enemies on the screen with online or a last generation system with a new controller and only $50 cheaper than a true next generation system.

hmmmmmm I don't know..

I think the rumblings of the public have spoken that the choice would be the new controller. Just my estimate from what we are hearing though. Could change if Nintendo misses content or if they keep being ****ing stupid and limiting output to create lines. Such a ****ing dumb error to do right now, biggest error ever.

choc_cake

Banned
soundwave05 said:
You know the CONTROLLER being a little different might have something to do with the appeal of the system too, right? :lol

What did being $100 cheaper do for the GameCube again?

I didn't say it didn't have anything to do with it. But be honest with yourself.
Just because a launch does well does nothing for the rest of the system.

The Dreamcast launch was good, but we know how that turned out.

Just because the controller is fun now does not mean that it will not wear off in the future.
We all like bright and shiny new things but the fun wears out after awhile.

If the wii sells six million to consumers by march I would be blown away and there would be something about the controller that is working.

I however do not see that happening.

P90

choc_cake said:
If the wii sells six million to consumers by march I would be blown away and there would be something about the controller that is working.

I however do not see that happening.

The 360 didn't sell six mill in 4 months. Your point is...?

choc_cake

Banned
P90 said:
The 360 didn't sell six mill in 4 months. Your point is...?

My point is that Nintendo said themselves that they hope to have six million wii's available by March 2007 and I am not sure they will be able to sell all of them on to consumers.

If you were reading you might have caught that.

choc_cake

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
I think the rumblings of the public have spoken that the choice would be the new controller. Just my estimate from what we are hearing though. Could change if Nintendo misses content or if they keep being ****ing stupid and limiting output to create lines. Such a ****ing dumb error to do right now, biggest error ever.

Well to me a million is not impressive when what you are selling is a gamecube that is overclocked so it is easy to come up with the hardware.

There are a lot of Nintendo fanboys who have bought the console (now I am not saying it was them only who bought it, we all know better) which is just like every launch.

Then there are those people who couldn't buy a PS3 that bought it and yet others who saw the controller and bought it for that.

I do not think it was the controller alone that has sold the system and I am skeptical that it will sell well a year or two from now when it really matters.

console sell well at launch because they launch at the crazy christmas season and people will buy anything for that holiday. Once that holiday is over and the excitment starts to wear off and the console is no longer new and exciting (a year or two latter) is where it really needs to start selling.

P90

choc_cake said:
My point is that Nintendo said themselves that they hope to have six million wii's available by March 2007 and I am not sure they will be able to sell all of them on to consumers.

If you were reading you might have caught that.

You're a retread that was banned before and has come back with another moniker.

choc_cake said:
Well to me a million is not impressive when what you are selling is a gamecube that is overclocked so it is easy to come up with the hardware.

There are a lot of Nintendo fanboys who have bought the console (now I am not saying it was them only who bought it, we all know better) which is just like every launch.

Then there are those people who couldn't buy a PS3 that bought it and yet others who saw the controller and bought it for that.

I do not think it was the controller alone that has sold the system and I am skeptical that it will sell well a year or two from now when it really matters.

console sell well at launch because they launch at the crazy christmas season and people will buy anything for that holiday. Once that holiday is over and the excitment starts to wear off and the console is no longer new and exciting (a year or two latter) is where it really needs to start selling.

I'm almost certain that the Wii will have sold six million by March.

I'm not sure what you are implying when you say that launches don't matter. The numbers are simply astounding. Having one million sold is still a feat worth lauding.

However, I do agree with you that it would be wrong to simply focus on launch numbers. More important are launch conditions and consumer mindshare. It is spectacular, the universal acclaim and enthusiasm being poured onto Nintendo at the moment. Anecdotal and DS evidence also indicate that Nintendo has succeeded in breaching the mainstream. You can always argue the finer points about how this isn't definitive evidence but discounting the perceptual conditions as not contributing to a console's sales and future is foolish.

From what I can see, your point merely amounts to "Let's wait and see the real numbers". That doesn't mean anything much though. Right now, all arrows point to a successful console life for the Wii. If people had to vote on a console winner right now over the next five years, it would not be dumb to vote for the Wii. With an apparently strong 2007 games line up, one regional console launch left to do, and red hot demand that will probably extend through March of next year, the future is absolutely rosey for Nintendo and these posters are merely expressing that fact.

choc_cake

Banned
P90 said:
You're a retread that was banned before and has come back with another moniker.

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt wrong again, genius!

I have been reading on here for awhile but I never have signed up for an account before.

choc_cake

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
I'm almost certain that the Wii will have sold six million by March.

I'm not sure what you are implying when you say that launches don't matter. The numbers are simply astounding. Having one million sold is still a feat worth lauding.

However, I do agree with you that it would be wrong to simply focus on launch numbers. More important are launch conditions and consumer mindshare. It is spectacular, the universal acclaim and enthusiasm being poured onto Nintendo at the moment. Anecdotal and DS evidence also indicate that Nintendo has succeeded in breaching the mainstream. You can always argue the finer points about how this isn't definitive evidence but discounting the perceptual conditions as not contributing to a console's sales and future is foolish.

From what I can see, your point merely amounts to "Let's wait and see the real numbers". That doesn't mean anything much though. Right now, all arrows point to a successful console life for the Wii. If people had to vote on a console winner right now over the next five years, it would not be dumb to vote for the Wii. With an apparently strong 2007 games line up, one regional console launch left to do, and red hot demand that will probably extend through March of next year, the future is absolutely rosey for Nintendo and these posters are merely expressing that fact.

These same people were just as excited in 2001 before the gamecube launched.
They are Nintendo fans, they get excited about anything positive (and honestly I don't blame them).

However, just because you start off strong (right before christmas) because you have tons of units out there because the system is using old hardware and is easy to put on shelves does not mean that it is going to be a long term success.

See, I see Nintendo like any other holiday launch and nothing special. Lots of items are awesome or sought after during the Christmas holiday season. It doesn't mean they will be hugely successful.

I don't see anything that tells me that the Wii will be outselling everything over the next two years. I don't see anything that says that Nintendo will sell six million units to consumers by March 2007.

I see Nintendo fans getting excited about anything with the wii and saying that it is going to be in the number one position because Nintendo has tons of old hardware for sale for cheaper prices before Christmas. Well, if you took nintendo fans out of the sales how much would still be sold, a lot but not a million.

This isn't like the DS at all and I think Nintendo fans are far too optimistic too early. This launch doesn't really mean the machine will be a success long term (like the DS is).

If Sony used the PS2 hardware or Microsoft used Xbox 1 hardware with the new wii controller they would have sold just as many for launch.

Taking a step back and reading all these posts, takes me back to before PS3/Wii were released. People were saying, don't get caught in the launce hype. Things like Nintendo consoles always have good launch because of there fanbase, which is true. And that any launch of any console will be a complete sell out. Which is also true. I mean we all know if Sony or Nintendo had a million for each region they would sell out. After all of these pre thoughts and forewarnings, there are posts like "its all over for Sony" and "Nintendo is back", "all hail Nintendo" etc etc. Some of them are having a laugh, but the majority aren't. Now I honestly do favour Nintendo myself, but this sort of stuff has been said for the last 2 generations as well. And they didn't come through. I mean sony failing on all 3 of there consoles has been predicted before and it never happened. Even the PSP is gonna hit 20 million. It may be a total loss, as no software is sold, but it still sold 20 million, and probably has life in it. I personally think it will die late 2007, but my opinion is not relevant. I just think everyone should just except everything for what it is, and not join a particular side of the fence. Just spectate from a distance. We should have all learned from the DS. For a whole year everyone thought even me, that what the hell is Nintendo doing. I for one never doubted there technology, but i did there methods of being successful. And look at it now. Its a total turn around. This same thing could occur with any console. I admit the favourite at the moment is the Wii, but 1 million over 2 regions over 3 weeks (2 NA, 1 Japan), isn't that amazing. Ok all sold out, but that is expected, it even happened with GC. In the UK at least the GC set records for launch, and its not even known here anymore.

Ok thats all folks!!!

choc_cake said:
They are Nintendo fans, they get excited about anything positive (and honestly I don't blame them).

However, just because you start off strong (right before christmas) because you have tons of units out there because the system is using old hardware and is easy to put on shelves does not mean that it is going to be a long term success.

See, I see Nintendo like any other holiday launch and nothing special. Lots of items are awesome or sought after during the Christmas holiday season. It doesn't mean they will be hugely successful.

I don't see anything that tells me that the Wii will be outselling everything over the next two years. I don't see anything that says that Nintendo will sell six million units to consumers by March 2007.

I see Nintendo fans getting excited about anything with the wii and saying that it is going to be in the number one position because Nintendo has tons of old hardware for sale for cheaper prices before Christmas. Well, if you took nintendo fans out of the sales how much would still be sold, a lot but not a million.

This isn't like the DS at all and I think Nintendo fans are far too optimistic too early. This launch doesn't really mean the machine will be a success long term (like the DS is).

If Sony used the PS2 hardware or Microsoft used Xbox 1 hardware with the new wii controller they would have sold just as many for launch.

I disagree on your first points. The people getting excited right now are not exclusively Nintendo fans. The entire mainstream media and all anecdotal evidence indicate that a lot more people are excited about the Wii. I don't see how you can dispute this. This completely separates the Wii from the Gamecube.

I don't see you addressing my point at all. You tell me that a launch before the holidays means nothing about long term success. I completely agree there. However, you ignore the fact that Nintendo has a lot more going for them than just holiday buzz and fanboyism. Strictly abiding by the rules of argumentative convention, I suppose I would have to give you the benefit of the doubt since I can't quantify what this extra factor is but if all you see is a mobilized Nintendo fanbase, you aren't seeing everything. For example, Time magazine hailing Wii Sports as the best video game ever is enough for me to recognize that.

Further, I don't understand how this isn't like the DS at all. That nonsense about Nintendo having a prior handheld monopoly is rather confusing. Nintendo is selling as many handhelds as it always has. This is in light of the fact that the PSP is selling just a little less than the DS. This indicates that the market has likely expanded through Nintendo's new approach.

I agree that it is too early to declare a console victory but it is not too early to be optimistic about Nintendo. Everything about them has changed for the positive in terms of potential to gain market share from five years ago.

I totally agree with you choc_cake. I was probably writing mine while you posted, so I didn't read it till after. But yeah, my point is exactly the same. And thats coming from someone who favours Nintendo and the philosophy as a whole. The whole thing that they don't have much at the moment to give them longevity is true as well. Unless they can get the PC market, with online and FPS, and god games, it ain't gonna be as sweet as some would hope. Sure they got all the Nintendo franchises, but when have the not had them?

Pimpbaa

Anecdotal evidence may mean nothing. But in my small ass town, the Wii and PS3 is near impossible to get here at the moment. I never had that problem before with any other sysem launch, even the ps2. The PS3 I can understand do to very limited amounts sony is distributing. But not the Wii. I've never seen this much of a demand for a Nintendo system at launch in my area before ever.

cvxfreak

plagiarize said:
you aren't being sarcastic are you?

i might have to check it out. i sense we have a similar taste in games. i'm still holding out on far cry: something or other on the really slim chance it gets decent reviews.

i know. try to hold back the laughter.

I'm not. That said Red Steel isn't excellent or even great, but good. It's very possible to have fun with it.

After reading your post Rancid Meldew. Something just clicked. You compared the media talk of GC launch to Wii. I remember it well. All they could go on about was the kids. Kiddy michine, kiddy image, kiddy games, kiddy console. Everything i read regarding Nintendo was "so how do you plan to shake of the kiddy image" or "Why do you have a kiddy image". i remeber reading a catalogue of GAME or something, and it had a comparison for all 3, and it was like, "for kids the GC is ideal. It has the famous Kiddy Nintendo franchises, like mario etc etc"

All of a sudden, everyone seems to have forgotten it. Infact I haven't heard one mention if it at all. WOW, I am writing as I am thinking, and its all just rushing into my brain. I feel like I had an epiphany.

choc_cake said:

Gamecube just isnt on the same level as Wii is. Try as you might, you're looking at two different concepted machines as the public perceives the two. The sooner you accept that, the better.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
I'm not. That said Red Steel isn't excellent or even great, but good. It's very possible to have fun with it.
Do you have to consume large amounts of alcohol first?

choc_cake

Banned
gamergirly said:
Gamecube just isnt on the same level as Wii is. Try as you might, you're looking at two different concepted machines as the public perceives the two. The sooner you accept that, the better.

You are a Nintendo fan, so of course you are going to see things in a distorted reality.

The gamecube did not have a million at launch. If it did, it would have sold out as well.
People buy all kinds of crap for Christmas and then end up regretting it later.

Don't you guys remember cabbage patch dolls of the 80's. It is always something new every year but that does not mean long term success.

I have nothing against Nintendo. I like the DS. I am not a huge Nintendo fan though, the last console I had in the 90's was the N64 and that was it. I am not blind.

Until I see something real beyond the Christmas/New years season, I am not willing to believe it is such a big success.

Having more consoles to sell for a cheaper price isn't exactly all that exciting for Christmas because crap on a stick would sell for Christmas.

Nintendo can sell all of this hardware because it is overclocked gamecube hardware from years and years ago and they have plenty to sell.

Nintendo needs to sell great years from now when the software isn't coming out every week.

choc_cake said:
You are a Nintendo fan, so of course you are going to see things in a distorted reality.

The gamecube did not have a million at launch. If it did, it would have sold out as well.

Don't you guys remember cabbage patch dolls of the 80's. It is always something new every year but that does not mean long term success.

I have nothing against Nintendo. I like the DS. I am not a huge Nintendo fan though, the last console I had in the 90's was the N64 and that was it. I am not blind.

Until I see something real beyond the Christmas/New years season, I am not willing to believe it is such a big success.

Having more consoles to sell for a cheaper price isn't exactly all that exciting for Christmas because crap on a stick would sell for Christmas.

Nintendo can sell all of this hardware because it is overclocked gamecube hardware from years and years ago and they have plenty to sell.

Nintendo needs to sell great years from now when the software isn't coming out every week.

There's nothing distorted about reality. Are you going to actually say that Gamecube and Wii were equals on launch hype, sales, expectations, and leverage over the competition? There's more than a "little" difference in one or more of those categories....

Wii will succeed in the long run simply because the play experience is so different and Nintendo will take advantage of that.

The DS did not need Pokemon or the Game Boy name to demolish the PSP. Nintendogs, Brain Training, and touchscreen did a good enough job of that.

I don't see Sony/MS offering that type of content. The Wii has huge interest in different demographics. This complicates things for Sony especailly IMO. Sony's used to being the "cool" one. Now they're being upstaged at their own game. Nintendo reaching out to demographics like women has paid off in spades.

Now suddenly Sony/MS are the ones that look nerdy/dorky because they appeal primarily to the same ol', same ol' tired demographic of male teenagers.

choc_cake

Banned
gamergirly said:
There's nothing distorted about reality. Are you going to actually say that Gamecube and Wii were equals on launch hype, sales, expectations, and leverage over the competition? There's more than a "little" difference in one or more of those categories....

Other than sales (because more old hardware can be built) I really don't see a difference. I guess you really do have a short memory.

D3RANG3D

choc_cake said:

Isn't it a little premature to decide whether the Wii is a flop or a success, I mean jesus titty ****ing christ, nobody is denying that it (wii) basically is a overclocked GC with a waggle wand, and your point is what exactly? Seriously it could go any ****ing way at this point mister nostradamus

choc_cake said:
Other than sales (because more old hardware can be built) I really don't see a difference. I guess you really do have a short memory.

You don't see a difference? Really? So the GameCube got the exact same level of press attention as the Wii right?

The GameCube also led in Japan from day 1 too right?

The GameCube had lineups not only at launch, but for restocking *several* times right?

The GameCube opened the door to new demographics of gamers with its controller right?

Wow, you're right. Except for these little details, the Wii is just like the GameCube. Face it. Nintendo is killing the other two in the PR war. If the evening news is doing a bit on game consoles, the Wii is the one that's getting the headliner treatment.

Image is everything. And Nintendo is winning the image war. That changes everything. The whole idea of appealling to non-gamers ... it's thrown Sony and MS for a loop honestly. I don't think they know how to deal with it. Sony tried to half ass motion control into their controller late in the game because they feared exactly what is starting to happen IMO. Nintendo used to be easy to compete against. Now they've suddenly become unpredictable.

Newzboyz99

Losers! My wife has me on lock!
Nintendo has 2 huge product differences.

--Price

--Interaction (controller)

Those are two compelling reasons to buy a Wii, and Nintendo should partly thank both MS and Sony for so overpricing their hardware that they were able to come in at $250 bucks and make instant profit. Nintendo probably was expecting to come in at like $150. But thanks to Sony's insane price, were able to launch at their highest price point ever, make profit and STILL be 200-300 bucks cheaper than the competition!!!! :lol :lol

Top Bottom