• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Downloaded Titles Can Be Transferred to Wii U

There is no way it can't be the opposite. Our club nintendo accounts register our downloads, so if we do the same thing on Wii U, having our club Nintendo account, we can re-download the games. I don't even understand the "tiny restructuring" thing.

I have a handful of games that I bought before the option to link to a Club Nintendo account existed. And there are probably millions of Wii owners who have no Club Nintendo account. IIRC, when you create one, it doesn't pick up previously purchased games.

Really, really great news for me. I have a lot of VC games, and in recent months I avoided buying some more because of this matter.

Jackano

Most countries do not have Club Nintendo.

Indeed. In their case, I think the transfer will be impossible to gamers in those countries.
Unless the transfer is possible over an application like the DSi and 3DS. It will be a mess, but, knowing Nintendo, this will be a new way for them to say "you don't need two TVs here, the Wii U Gamepad make it possible with only one TV!". :)

tuffy

As soon as DSi -> 3DS transfers came online, I'd assumed Wii -> Wii U was only a matter of time. But I'm glad to have it confirmed.

I'm almost willing to bet that this won't be the case for the next playstation given the architecture changes that have been rumored. I don't know if they can get away with that now that Nintendo has set the precedent though..

I'd be interested to hear how even more future consoles will handle DDL titles. Are all consoles going forward going to require some form of backwards compatibility to play these games?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's been a while since I've had to manage Wii save files, so I might be remembering wrong, but you can transfer those via SD card, right? Even if it doesn't go automatically in a system transfer, I don't see why they wouldn't be copyable manually.

Some of them, yes. Some of them, no. It's a per-game thing, perhaps related to whether you could exploit the game somehow by duplicating saves, or because they have an online gaming profile in them, or this or that. But yeah, you can't do it with everything.

Eusis

Wii U excitement went from "Well, they DO have games I want to play" to "I NEED THIS". Literally, I've got artifacting on my Wii and at this point it would be more practical just to get a Wii U and transfer everything over rather than try to get Nintendo to repair/replace it.

Levyne

Banned
How would this work if my Wii was stolen? Does it? The downloads weren't really tied to anything other than the Wii itself

I wonder if we'll be able to play VC games on the tablet. That'd be even better.

That seems so obvious as to be silly if it cant. Its a perfect example of something the U could do without taking up the tv, and nintendo focused on that alot in their material.

I wonder if we'll be able to play VC games on the tablet. That'd be even better.

I would... imagine so, but I guess weirder things have happened. I'd be disappointed if you couldn't. Especially factoring in the resolution. It would make far more sense to play VC games on the pad's screen.

Hellraizah

Another important question is : Will there be another batch of VC releases and, if yes, will they also be available for Wii?

I only have a Wii for VC and couldn't care less about upscaling since my TV is doing the job anyways.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
This actually might work out well for me as my old Wii is busted and I refuse to pay £120 for Nintendo to fix it; my only concern is that you need the old Wii in order to transfer stuff wirelessly to the Wii U, like you did with the 3DS. :\

Nessus

There is no way it can't be the opposite. Our club nintendo accounts register our downloads, so if we do the same thing on Wii U, having our club Nintendo account, we can re-download the games. I don't even understand the "tiny restructuring" thing.

I suspect they are implying a unified account separate from Club Nintendo, since the vast majority of Wii users don't have their Wii console linked to Club Nintendo, they don't even know it exists.

MoxManiac

This calls for a sexy party!

tumblr_m4dzovUEWr1rwd9qso1_500.gif

UberTag

I'm not going to get excited about this until they share the mechanism they plan on providing to facilitate this transfer of past downloaded titles.
Because if it amounts to "please send us your Wii and Wii U hardware and we'll transfer your content licenses over and ship them back in 4-6 weeks" I'm still not impressed.

The "at launch" mystery is also an issue. Vita owners are all too aware of this.

thefro

I'm not going to get excited about this until they share the mechanism they plan on providing to facilitate this transfer of past downloaded titles.

Because if it amounts to "please send us your Wii and Wii U hardware and we'll transfer your content licenses over and ship them back in 4-6 weeks" I'm still not impressed.

Probably will be a "Wii U Transfer Channel" released on the Wii.

Get news, I'm glad to finally get confirmation on this.

I still need to spend the 2000+ points left on my system, funds didn't transfer from DSi to 3DS right?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I'll believe it when I see it or they at least give more concrete details on how it works. Great news if true though.

Eusis

ick, that sucks. :/
Most of them are save states though. Those with hard saves will partially copy, so for something like Zelda you'd lose that save state right after beating Ganon, but you'd still have the save before you fight him unless you never saved in the game ever.

Game Guru

Aren't the only VC saves that aren't transferable the ones that only suspend gameplay? I mean, yeah, you aren't getting where you suspended gameplay in, say, Super Mario Bros. 3 on an SD Card, but the saved goals of, say, Super Mario World, would be perfectly transferable.

Most of them are save states though. Those with hard saves will partially copy, so for something like Zelda you'd lose that save state right after beating Ganon, but you'd still have the save before you fight him unless you never saved in the game ever.

Yeah, exactly. And many of these games use passwords, so you can write the password down and transfer the 'save' that way.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Better late than never, although it is too late to save all my Virtual Console games that are on my dead Wii :-(

Top Bottom