• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Downloaded Titles Can Be Transferred to Wii U

Erethian

I don't know, I don't run Nintendo. I know it's not the answer you're looking for but there it is.

And, assuming they retrofit the account system onto the 3DS since full digital retail titles are coming, do you really think that layer of abstraction would vanish? Friend codes in use on that platform wouldn't vanish. Instead, we would likely have both an individual account system for digital purchase and friend codes for online games. Both can coexist.

That sort of implementation wouldn't make any sense with everything we know about the Miiverse and the online integration Nintendo has talked about.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man now I have to worry about if having the Homebrew channel on there to play Xenoblade and Pikmin 2 PAL editions will prevent a system transfer from workin. Maybe I should look into hacking the saves to make them NTSC and delete the homebrew channel before I get dat u.

NineH

This is great news but I wonder if they will transfer Wii points balances. I can only dream as I don't have anything else to get on the VC.

Lol all these "wasted" comments. Are your N64 and SNES and NES games wasted too by being tied to a single console?

That's what faith is for.

u have something physical to hold in your hands, no? something you can hold onto for as long you want, correct? that's the difference. when buying something digital, it's nice to know that you can access that content anytime and anywhere.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
That sort of implementation wouldn't make any sense with everything we know about the Miiverse and the online integration Nintendo has talked about.
That post was referring to the 3DS which, as far as I know, does not have Miiverse. I believe Iwata did mention it would be on all future Nintendo hardware though.

Erethian

That post was referring to the 3DS which, as far as I know, does not have Miiverse. I believe Iwata did mention it would be on all future Nintendo hardware though.

It'll be accessible through a web browser or app, I think.

But what I meant was that having your online profile and eShop account as separate on the WiiU is unlikely considering what we know already. Multiple accounts on the same system which is your online profile and ties into Miiverse (cause you and other accounts on the system show up in Miiverse), and Moffitt is saying in the OP that you'll tie your purchases to one of those accounts.

Glass Joe

I wonder If i should delete the homebrew channel from my Wii the day I have to transfer everything to the Wii U? I wonder if its presence on the Wii would glitch anything?

It might be reason to be concerned. I think people with homebrew can't update their firmware without bricking their Wii and there's a strong possibility the process will be a system update that gives a transfer channel to the Wii.

I'd love to think you can just slide your purchased VC games on an SD card and be done with it, or link your Club Nintendo account to your Wii U but this is Nintendo so I doubt it.

Lol all these "wasted" comments. Are your N64 and SNES and NES games wasted too by being tied to a single console?

That's what faith is for.

My NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii games are NOT tied to a single console. If one of those consoles breaks, I can simply put the cart or disc into another working console. Not true for downloaded games on the Wii. I have two Wii's but only one can play Secret of Mana. I also have the SNES cart for that same game and it will work on any SNES.

See the difference?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube and Wii games are NOT tied to a single console. If one of those consoles breaks, I can simply put the cart or disc into another working console. Not true for downloaded games on the Wii. I have two Wii's but only one can play Secret of Mana. I also have the SNES cart for that same game and it will work on any SNES.

See the difference?

Obviously there's a difference, but people are talking as if VC games would have become unplayable the day the Wii U released. If you got hours and hours of enjoyment out of it on Wii, as long as your Wii's still alive, is it really "worthless?" Carts wear out and die just as fast as a well-maintained Nintendo system.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It'll be accessible through a web browser or app, I think.

But what I meant was that having your online profile and eShop account as separate on the WiiU is unlikely considering what we know already. Multiple accounts on the same system which is your online profile and ties into Miiverse (cause you and other accounts on the system show up in Miiverse), and Moffitt is saying in the OP that you'll tie your purchases to one of those accounts.
I think it's unlikely too, which is just what I said in my original reply to Terrell's post. The point I was failing to get across is that we shouldn't jump to any conclusions without substantial word from God to backup anything up. I should have made that clear from the outset.

Yes, we know there is an account system. But there has been little to nothing regarding the platform's online networking, we can conclude some things but ultimately, there's still a lot of blanks that need to be filled in. What we think and what we know are very different and unfortunately, none of that was addressed during the round table conference either.

Obviously there's a difference, but people are talking as if VC games would have become unplayable the day the Wii U released. If you got hours and hours of enjoyment out of it on Wii, as long as your Wii's still alive, is it really "worthless?" Carts wear out and die just as fast as a well-maintained Nintendo system.

If Nintendo insists on tying downloads to a single piece of hardware then they have to allow you to transfer, this is simply not negotiable. The current system doesn't even allow you to transfer without sending two Wii's into Nintendo and letting them do a transfer. It's ridiculous.

Ideally they would do what Sony does and use an activation system. You should be able to play your VC games on atleast 2 Wii's or WiiU's, 2 DSi's or 3DS's. Right now I have 2 Wii's, 1 DSi, 1 DS Lite and a 3DS registered to my Club Nintendo account. Club Nintendo could be acting as an activation system right now. I could download Secret of Mana on my second Wii if Nintendo would just allow it.

You know, when I bought a 3DS I had to MOVE my stuff from my DSi to my 3DS. Why couldn't I have my games on both? When I bought my PS3, I didn't have to move my PS1 games to the PS3, they can exist on both.

This is great news. I stopped buying VC games a while ago because I wasn't sure if I'd get to transfer them over. I think I will go on a wild spending spree now and pick up some of the games I had passed up.

Teknoman

YES! So many games I did hold on for the last two years. *grabs credit card*

I know right? Of course, this means they should still be able to release VC titles well up and into WiiU's launch.

I still want my Lufia 1 and 2. Dunno if Breath of Fire I and II hit the system.

Jaruru

nice move

it's fair that ppl have to pay again (maybe partially) if they upgrade the SD to HD
give the options

stuminus3

Nice, now my Wii U can become my Wii and my Wii can become my Gamecube and my Gamecube can just be my GameBoy Advance on the TV.

There is no way it can't be the opposite. Our club nintendo accounts register our downloads, so if we do the same thing on Wii U, having our club Nintendo account, we can re-download the games. I don't even understand the "tiny restructuring" thing.
They better not rely on the Club Nintendo account. Here in Europe it only logs downloads made after linking the account despite the link knowing the Wii Shop account its linked to with a full log.

Dash Kappei said:
Fuck, another 5 years of shitty 50Hz PAL VC games :/
I hear the 3DS eShop NES games run in 60Hz. But a handful of NES games you probably already own is hardly anything really :(

That said looking at the Wii U specs on the Japanese site. Only these are listed:
1080p、1080i、720p、480p、480i
If we're lucky 576i is not supported at all (though that would break erm the handful of 576i only PAL games like Super Mario all stars...oh snap). It does list RGB Scart under video out* so there is hope.
*-Which only works on European Wiis

Then again just like the Wii VC being 50Hz nobody saw it coming as all the previous compilations (except Animal Crossing) were 60Hz only.

Walter Matthau

Gold Member
Good choice. Gives Wii U owners a huge library of games to download and should incentivize third parties to release some more games. Neo Geo can finally start getting the games people have been waiting for.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
People are going to be so salty if this happens to either 360/PS3's successors.

I think given the design of the PS3 and what most of the rumors say about the PS4's design that might be the one to pull the trigger.

Yagharek

Shit. Now I have to go download all those VC games I've been skipping just in case we couldn't transfer purchases over.

Exactly my course of action. I kind of suspected they were going to confirm this, but without 100% certainty I held off on several purchases. Nice to know they recognise their obligation to support VC ongoing.

FyreWulff

People are going to be so salty if this happens to either 360/PS3's successors.

I think given the design of the PS3 and what most of the rumors say about the PS4's design that might be the one to pull the trigger.

Current scorecard, if this holds up:

Nintendo: 2/2 (DSi -> 3DS, Wii -> WiiU)
Microsoft: 0/1 (Everything you bought on OXbox is now gone)
Sony: I don't remember if they ever really sold anything on the PS2.

I hope so. It would bother me if VC titles were just working in a Wii emulator.

Emulators emulating emulators

Fredrik

I just found out about this. This is truly awesome! :)

I'm one of those that has almost 100 VC games on Wii, the thought of not having to rebuy those, plus having them playable on the GamePad screen for comfy couch retro gaming, is almost making me forget about the bad conference.

Great job Nintendo!

Morokh

It really surprises me how they seem to finally have made something intelligent about the online part, and pretty much failed with everything else so far .. xD

Marvie_3

Banned
I just found out about this. This is truly awesome! :)

I'm one of those that has almost 100 VC games on Wii, the thought of not having to rebuy those, plus having them playable on the GamePad screen for comfy couch retro gaming, is almost making me forget about the bad conference.

Great job Nintendo!
Same here. I'd be really pissed if I wasn't able to transfer my VC games over.

Teknoman

It really surprises me how they seem to finally have made something intelligent about the online part, and pretty much failed with everything else so far .. xD

I wouldnt say they've failed with anything else yet. Dunno tech specs, controller (both of them) seem well made...conference could have been better arranged though.

extralite

Good!

BUT

If they don't transfer save data as well, I will murder someone. The DSi -> 3DS transfer left save data behind. Presumably because they figure it's a method someone could get hacked code on the system? FIGURE IT OUT, Nintendo, I aint transferring SHIT off the Wii without my saves. Same goes for playing any Wii disc games on the Wii U, need dat save data!!

As opposed to DS, the Wii stores save files (even VC ones) in separate files that can be backupped to SD (in most cases). So they should be transferable manually even by switching the SD card to the Wii U, in case the transfer process doesn't copy them automatically.

Madao

Nice, now my Wii U can become my Wii and my Wii can become my Gamecube and my Gamecube can just be my GameBoy Advance on the TV.

lol. my setup is on that same road.

additionally, i have the F-Zero x + Expansion Kit player (a.k.a., an N64 + 64DD) and i really want then to emulate this thing on Wii U VC since this is the only reason i don't put away the n64 (i suppose the Wii couldn't handle N64+64DD emulation)

btw, couldn't people manually delete all the homebrew stuff before doing the (probable) system update, then update safely and later reinstall homebrew when they're done?

andthebeatgoeson

Really good news. I have 3000 points and about 10 games on Wii. Now, I can use those points and not feel like I wasted something. Should be standard this generation for all systems.

Oh man, thats an relief. Was really expecting it but it feels good to hear to confirmation. Stopped buying stuff on the Wii store since I wasn't sure...

Chuckpebble

This is all I wanted to hear out of E3. Only thing that still niggles at me a tiny bit are the NES games that are available for both Wii and 3DS. I was hoping that I could play SMB on my 3DS since I have it on my Wii. I guess I'm OK with this, though, as long as I can move it to the WiiU.

Shit. Hope there's pointer emulation with the touch pad for WiiWare games. Lost Winds would be kinda neat on the controller using just your finger.

Looks like I'll be buying a few VC games this weekend and having a bit of a Retro gaming session. I'd been holding off buying anything until this point was confirmed.

Top Bottom