• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Downloaded Titles Can Be Transferred to Wii U

Zee-Row

Banned
I wonder If i should delete the homebrew channel from my Wii the day I have to transfer everything to the Wii U? I wonder if its presence on the Wii would glitch anything?

Pachinko

This is great news, now just let me lump togethor my various nintendo wallets please. I've got like 40$ sitting on the wii and 10$ sitting on the 3DS as well as 10$ on the dsi. I'd like to think it would be simple to just affix that wallet to a credit card # and email address then add it to a universal nintendo wallet for all future purchases.

Even if that never comes to pass, knowing I can put all my VC stuff on the wii U is a bit of a load off. Hopefully the process is as simple as copying games from the wii to an sd card then loading them onto the wii u.

Eusis

It was. At least for any company that doesn't want to intentionally piss off it's customer base it is.
The bizarre backwards way purchases functioned on the Wii was concerning, though now I'd be most worried about Sony unless either the AMD rumors are false or they reliably put the PS3 hardware in each system.

I won't buy anything online from them at all until it is 100% account based and NOT hardware based.
Sounds like we're getting that thankfully. I guess they could still be dumb about the hardware crap, but if I can at least have them on newer hardware I'll be content.

Persona7

Banned
ok, they can be transferred but once they go over can I continue playing the games on my wii or will it be like the DSi to 3DS?

Eusis

ok, they can be transferred but once they go over can I continue playing the games on my wii or will it be like the DSi to 3DS?
We probably won't know until closer to release, but unlike the DSi saves aren't bound to the game file, so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. All those suspends are probably toast though, but at least that's only staying true to how the games originally worked.

There is no way it can't be the opposite. Our club nintendo accounts register our downloads, so if we do the same thing on Wii U, having our club Nintendo account, we can re-download the games. I don't even understand the "tiny restructuring" thing.

There are at least two reasons why using Club Nintendo is shitty.

1. Club Nintendo doesn't exist in many countries.

2. Being forced to use Club Nintendo would be stupid if you want to create several accounts on the same console. It's much easier to just create an account on the system without any need to tie in a Club Nintendo account.

Crayons

Banned
I wonder If i should delete the homebrew channel from my Wii the day I have to transfer everything to the Wii U? I wonder if its presence on the Wii would glitch anything?

I don't think that's the way it works. It probably just transfers the download rights to the console. Otherwise, pirates would transfer their free games to their Wii U.

Anyway, if I can play VC Games on the Gamepad then I want a Wii U.

Eusis

There are at least two reasons why using Club Nintendo is shitty.

1. Club Nintendo doesn't exist in many countries.

2. Being forced to use Club Nintendo would be stupid if you want to create several accounts on the same console. It's much easier to just create an account on the system without any need to tie in a Club Nintendo account.
It'd be nice to have either Club Nintendo or transferring from a Wii, but both have their pros/cons, if you have to transfer from a physical Wii then you're screwed if it broke somewhere along the line, whereas if you remembered to set up a Club Nintendo account you'd be good, though you're screwed either way if you didn't.

But I don't think the second point matters, I'm sure Club Nintendo will be tied to accounts rather than systems that time when it comes to games purchased (obviously the serial number needs to be tied to a single Club Nintendo account), and if other accounts belong to people who bought games on the system Wii there'd probably still be problems unless they handled it closer to the 3DS... In which case it'd actually probably work out very nicely.

zigg

There is no way it can't be the opposite. Our club nintendo accounts register our downloads, so if we do the same thing on Wii U, having our club Nintendo account, we can re-download the games. I don't even understand the "tiny restructuring" thing.
Club Nintendo isn't a software license account. It's a survey website. When you associate a shop account with CN, the shop merely informs CN you bought game X so that there's no code to copy down into CN to give you the registration and post-play surveys. It doesn't authorize a thing. It's merely convenience.

To go accounts, Nintendo needs a system that actually handles software licensing and device authorization, not just something that keeps track of what someone bought.

Salsa

Super nice, but expected and demanded. I'd be mad if otherwise but im not all "OMG YESSS" considering it should be a given for every next console.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Thread title should be updated, since Moffitt essentially confirms the death of friend codes.
Not really. An account system can exist solely for digital purchases while a friend code can still be required for communication with others online. Not that that's likely, but none of the info from the interview firmly suggests anything about the inclusion of friend codes either way.

Terrell

Not really. An account system can exist solely for digital purchases while a friend code can still be required for communication with others online. Not that that's likely, but none of the info from the interview firmly suggests anything about the inclusion of friend codes either way.

Why the heck would they make individual logins for one thing and then resort to system-tied friend codes for another? You're adding a layer of abstraction to this just because, even when you say it's unlikely?

My brain hurts now.

lucius

When I had a Wii I had Club Nintendo linked to it and quite a few downloaded games, but before I sold it I deleted everything, so is there any chance I can get some those past download games back on a new Wii U?

Nintendo still sends me emails about Club Nintendo coins so it must still be active, I guess but not sure.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Why the heck would they make individual logins for one thing and then resort to system-tied friend codes for another? You're adding a layer of abstraction to this just because, even when you say it's unlikely?

My brain hurts now.

I'm saying that although it's unlikely, there's no guarantee that it couldn't happen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
There's a point where being pessimistic just borders on insanity.

No, I agree with him, and I've been saying it since last E3. Nintendo's been talking about local "accounts" for Wii U for a while now, but there's no guarantee they have any bearing on actual online accounts. Similar to the disconnect between your Windows PC login and your Windows Live login, or whatever.

Terrell

No, I agree with him, and I've been saying it since last E3. Nintendo's been talking about local "accounts" for Wii U for a while now, but there's no guarantee they have any bearing on actual online accounts. Similar to the disconnect between your Windows PC login and your Windows Live login, or whatever.

Why would they add such a layer of abstraction? Any answer other than "it's Nintendo" will suffice.

Ondore

First reaction: This.

Sober second thought: So this isn't going to be as easy as sticking my SD card in the WiiU, is it?

Zee-Row said:

Pretty sure the inevitable update to facilitate this would delete the HBC for you.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Why would they add such a layer of abstraction? Any answer other than "it's Nintendo" will suffice.

I don't know, I don't run Nintendo. I know it's not the answer you're looking for but there it is.

And, assuming they retrofit the account system onto the 3DS since full digital retail titles are coming, do you really think that layer of abstraction would vanish? Friend codes in use on that platform wouldn't vanish. Instead, we would likely have both an individual account system for digital purchase and friend codes for online games. Both can coexist.

Expected.

Now link WiiU and 3DS via the account system. Allow a VC game to be transferred and played across both platforms via an SD card.

This could save your E3, Nintendo.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Great! I hope the WiiU has new emulators for the VC games so it can run them in higher resolutions :). It'd be nice to play Majora's Mask in 720/1080p. Shouldn't be impossible.

I can't remember though, do the VC titles come with their own separate emulators? I seem to remember that they changed it to reduce download size or something.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Of course they can be, the worldwide leader in cable news told me that Wii U is just a new controller!

This is seriously the one thing I cared about learning at e3.

pargonta

Ya never know.

WAKA WAKA

... it would be hilarious though... they throw a catch all net on transferring things from the Wii but VC saves are left behind. we'll see.

This really is a perk though, it changes how I'm looking at a Wii U purchase.

Top Bottom