• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii DVD playback dropped?

koam

You guys are trusting Matt on this DVD-dongle thing? He's the same person who was theorizing that the "small attachment" meant an external drive. I doubt Nintendo canned the DVD attachment but instead, they don't want to comment on it since they'll reveal (most likely) the attachment at the september 14 event.

I think it's a worthless attachment unless you really want a DVD player but regardless, if it does exist/come out, it will probably attach to the bottom of the wiimote and give you a few extra "DVD" type buttons. The whole purpose of the attachment is basically to pay off the DVD forum fees. DivX would be a nice but improbably feature.

mug

Luna104 said:
Well I certainly don't ****ing hope so Nintendo. Knowing the Wii can play DVDs (with a dongle?) and that I am gonna get a Wii on launch, I just gave my DVD player to my mom. Like three days ago. I was planning to use Wii as my new DVD player, but Nintendo could be screwing me over.
Because DVD players are expensive?

Fuzzy said:
You can probably get a DVD player now for less than the price of whatever the dongle would cost.

Normally i'd agree, but the Wii would make one hell of a sexy DVD player. Of all the systems to have DVD playback to far, i think it would make a lot more sense on the Wii.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Christ on a pogo stick, between the 360, the PS3, the $20 specials at Wal-Mart and home computers, how many of you are really, honestly going to miss having Yet Another DVD Player under your ****ing TV?

mug said:
Because DVD players are expensive?

Bullshit. If you can afford to buy even just two games a year, that's more than the cost of some DVD players.

Anyone advocating a $30 DVD player from Wal-Mart has obviously never bought a $30 DVD player from Wal-Mart. They are shit. I have one on the shelf next to me. The drive door won't open (and yet I can't bring myself to throw it away). I directly attribute an afternoon of watching DVDs on my 360 to its untimely death. I would have no such fears for a Nintendo-built machine. Since the Wii doesn't offer the video and audio fidelity that I would want for my home theater, it was never going to be a primary player for me. But it would be a nice function for taking on vacation, when I'm more likely to be using composite cabling and tv sound.

xsarien

daedsiluap
adamsappel said:
Anyone advocating a $30 DVD player from Wal-Mart has obviously never bought a $30 DVD player from Wal-Mart.

And the ones embedded in consoles are any better? I've lost count of how many threads the gaming forum saw dedicated to bitching and moaning about Xbox and PS2 DVD playback.

I respect Nintendo's QA more than Sony's or Microsoft's. Like I said, it would be a nice function for it to provide, even if I rarely used it. I didn't think I would use my Xbox as a DVD player either, until I took it on vacation and had to buy the dongle.

xsarien

daedsiluap
adamsappel said:
I respect Nintendo's QA more than Sony's or Microsoft's. Like I said, it would be a nice function for it to provide, even if I rarely used it. I didn't think I would use my Xbox as a DVD player either, until I took it on vacation and had to buy the dongle.

Why did you take your XBox on vacation?

papercut

My PS2 is almost dead (big f*** you to sony) and the Wii is the only console I'm gonna get. This news would seriously suck if true.

xsarien

daedsiluap
papercut said:
My PS2 is almost dead (big f*** you to sony) and the Wii is the only console I'm gonna get. This news would seriously suck if true.

I love it, LOVE IT.

"MY PS2 IS NEARLY DEAD, SO SCREW YOU NINTENDO!"

LOcKY

if it means it makes it cheaper then great :)

but really who doesnt have a dvd player these days? you can buy one for £20 for your pc and for an extra £10-20 you could buy yourself a decent stand lone player.

papercut

xsarien said:
I love it, LOVE IT.

"MY PS2 IS NEARLY DEAD, SO SCREW YOU NINTENDO!"

?

I'm not hating Nintendo, it's not their fault that Sony makes crap products. I'm just saying that it would suck for me, personally, to not have the Wii play DVDs. It was gonna be through the dongle anyway, what's the problem? I'd rather buy that than a DVD player.

kewlsanx

Banned
WOW, and I was planning to buy a wii to play my movies on!!! Now im not gonna get one. Forget the fact that its a game machine and not a dvd player, forget that franchises like Zelda, metroid, and red steel will be launch titles, this was THE DECIDING factor on my wii purchase. Whats next? PS3 not been able to play all my UMD movies?

mug

papercut said:
?

I'm not hating Nintendo, it's not their fault that Sony makes crap products. I'm just saying that it would suck for me, personally, to not have the Wii play DVDs. It was gonna be through the dongle anyway, what's the problem? I'd rather buy that than a DVD player.
:lol

just buy a damn dvd player people...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I hope that it will at least still play CDs. (I'm curious what kind of visualizer Miyamoto can come up with).

Pimpbaa

A little disappointing. Would have been nice to use it as a sexy little dvd player (I am currently using my ps2 as my dvd player, which is a bit more noisy than I would like). It's certainly not going to affect my decision to get one tho.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Sometimes I think Iwata does these things out of spite.

Gahiggidy said:
I hope that it will at least still play CDs. (I'm curious what kind of visualizer Miyamoto can come up with).

It'd be kinda neat actually if you could manipulate the sound by waving the Wiimote around.

Sagitario

xsarien said:
Why did you take your XBox on vacation?

I knew I was going to get this comment from someone. Is it that unusual? I went on vacation with friends. I wanted to play videogames with them. I realized we could also watch movies on it, if I bought the dongle, so I did. Good times.

mollipen

SuperPac said:
You can buy a DVD player at Target for $35 FFS. This is about as important as audio CD playback...in that it isn't.

One device that can do two things, or two devices that can do one thing? I'll take the one device every day, thanks.

There's no reason at all for Nintendo to drop DVD support in the Wii. I could easily see households with a Wii and no other system, and it would be nice for them to have only one device to play games AND DVDs.

Unlike some of you, there are those of us who DON'T want a bunch of machines sitting around our TVs.

shidoshi said:
One device that can do two things, or two devices that can do one thing? I'll take the one device every day, thanks.

There's no reason at all for Nintendo to drop DVD support in the Wii. I could easily see households with a Wii and no other system, and it would be nice for them to have only one device to play games AND DVDs.

Unlike some of you, there are those of us who DON'T want a bunch of machines sitting around our TVs.

There could be an issue with the DVD Forum, as I'm not sure the DVD Forum allows no optical/digital coax audio output on any DVD device that is meant to be played on a television.

Pellham

Banned
Honestly DVD playback is not a feature I care about on the Wii, and i'm sure Nintendo realized that the good majority of US households already have some kind of DVD player already.

Well but would you really be willing to pay extra on the Wii just for DVD playback? There are plenty of reasons why Nintendo can sell its system for so little, this is one of them.

I'm just glad the important parts aren't being cut, like virtual console and SD/usb support.

this is much worse than dropping dual 1080p HDMIs, gigabit ethernet, and a Spring '06 launch.

oh shit, the PS3 was gonna have gigabit?? **** you Sony! gigabit ethernet rocks! I won't buy a PS3 unless they drop down to $300 now.

Tabris

Ghetto gaming at it's finest :p

I honestly don't care (who watches dvds on their consoles?) but I don't see DrinkyCrow in these threads anymore (is he banned or something?)

Maybe they will sucker you Nintendo fans into buying the Panasonic Qii?

Pimpbaa

Pellham said:
Well but would you really be willing to pay extra on the Wii just for DVD playback? There are plenty of reasons why Nintendo can sell its system for so little, this is one of them.

It was supposed to be a dongle of some sorts. Those who didn't want it, wouldn't have to get it and thus wouldn't be paying for something they don't need or want.

Pimpbaa said:
It was supposed to be a dongle of some sorts. Those who didn't want it, wouldn't have to get it and thus wouldn't be paying for something they don't need or want.
I'll bet a 48 hour ban that the dongle will be dropped in favor of a downloadable (or otherwise purchasable) DVD software on the system, but only if someone else takes another side on it.

mollipen

Pellham said:
Well but would you really be willing to pay extra on the Wii just for DVD playback?

If I were in a position where it meant not having to have another machine to toss beside / under my television? Absolutely.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
already stated but no way the Wii or any other console replacing my standalone DVD players. Especially not my DivX DVD player

I guess it's a minor point, but Wii would be the coolest looking DVD player around.

I never understood why it would need a dongle to play movies. Nintendo should either incorporate the feature internally or just drop it completely.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Jonnyboy117 said:
I guess it's a minor point, but Wii would be the coolest looking DVD player around.

I never understood why it would need a dongle to play movies. Nintendo should either incorporate the feature internally or just drop it completely.

DVD forum fees. See also: Xbox dongle.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
suriwii%20copy.jpg

Inside: why Wii didn't know sooner!
Also: is something wrong with young Wii? FIND OUT FIRST!

dock

Link316 said:
dropping DVD playback is a huge mistake if they wanna appeal to the casuals & nongamers
I agree with this. My mum is interested in the Wii (after she was recently introduced to Brain Training on the DS), and it would be a much more attractive option for her if she could just completely 'replace' her crappy old DVD player with this machine. Using video splitters and such isn't very 'casual'. It would be a shame for them to drop it, but I agree a dongle is the best approach.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
dock UK said:
I agree with this. My mum is interested in the Wii (after she was recently introduced to Brain Training on the DS), and it would be a much more attractive option for her if she could just completely 'replace' her crappy old DVD player with this machine. Using video splitters and such isn't very 'casual'. It would be a shame for them to drop it, but I agree a dongle is the best approach.

butbutbut everyone has a dvd player already

Hunter D said:
Who the hell was going to actually play DVDs on the Wii?

It's a nice option to have just in case imo. I am sure the vast people already own DVD players, but it would be less hook-ups for your television and more convenient. No 5.1? That sucks.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
adamsappel said:
I knew I was going to get this comment from someone. Is it that unusual? I went on vacation with friends. I wanted to play videogames with them. I realized we could also watch movies on it, if I bought the dongle, so I did. Good times.

There are these crazy things now. They`re called handhelds. You can play games on them. You should check them out some time.

TheTrin said:
There are these crazy things now. They`re called handhelds. You can play games on them. You should check them out some time.
Really? And we can play multiplayer Halo on them, too? And watch movies together? Fantastic!

ffs, some of you are the most selfish- and insular-thinking people on the interwebs. I expect the "What? You don't have a Theta Casablanca controller or a Qualia projector? Why haven't you killed yourself yet?" attitude from HTF. But why is it so difficult to empathize that some people may be playing the Wii in their bedrooms with limited space? Or resources? Or, and I know this is just plain crazy talk, take a console out of your entertainment center to another place?

The Wii isn't even necessarily aimed at people who have good audio or video setups. Nintendo has already admitted making a mistake by not including DVD playback in the GameCube, it seems even more foolish to omit it this time. Particularly since it takes the form of yet another peripheral to make money from. I'd be surprised if Nintendo doesn't sporadically release the dongle in different colors.

Top Bottom