• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

How powerful a computer would you need to play the Wii games at a perfect framerate? And I don't think this is answered i the thread, but can you play the Wii/GCN games directly from that LG DVD Drive that was mentioned? I really, really hate piracy, so it's a big deal for me.

dark10x said:
Generic main characters? I disagree completely. The environments are also quite lovely to behold. It's a unique looking game.

The game itself is also a lot better than SFA could ever hope to be and has an amazing soundtrack to go along with it.
I'd have to strongly disagree with that, while I didn't finish BG&E the 8 or so hours I spent with it were among the worst 8 hours of my gaming life. Horrible combat, horrible stealth elements, and wandering around hideous enviornments taking pictures of animals are not my ideas of fun gameplay. I didn't have very high expectations for SFA due to Rare's heinous N64 efforts but I found it to be a pretty solid experience all the way through, I even liked it enough to play it twice. I don't remember anything from BG&E's soundtrack but SFA's soundtrack was excellent.

Xizer

Banned
BrandNew said:
I haven't read much in this thread other than the screen posts, but...

...is there any reason as to why The Wii itself can't output in 720p? I'm not too knowledgeable with console tech and the like, but even when things are in 720p, these games look much better.

Or is that because these emulators are using some sort of gpu plugins to make these games look a little better?

The Wii is weaker than the original Xbox.

The Xbox came out in 2001. 8 years ago.

That's your answer.

Sanjay

nincompoop said:
I'd have to strongly disagree with that, while I didn't finish BG&E the 8 or so hours I spent with it were among the worst 8 hours of my gaming life. Horrible combat, horrible stealth elements, and wandering around hideous enviornments taking pictures of animals are not my ideas of fun gameplay. I didn't have very high expectations for SFA due to Rare's heinous N64 efforts but I found it to be a pretty solid experience all the way through, I even liked it enough to play it twice. I don't remember anything from BG&E's soundtrack but SFA's soundtrack was excellent.

DIE!

Eteric Rice

Xizer said:
The Wii is weaker than the original Xbox.

The Xbox came out in 2001. 8 years ago.

That's your answer.

It's about the same, actually. Xbox has built in shader stuff, though.

And the Wii can't output in HD because it lacks the fillrate to do it.

Not to mention the games would be laggy. :/

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wind Waker HD might be the greatest thing mine eyes hath ever saw.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nincompoop said:
Just out of curiosity, are you a fan of what Nintendo is doing this generation with their games (ie - Wii Play, Wii Sports, Wii Music, Gamecube re-releases, etc)? If so, that would at least explain a few things.

pakkit

Banned
Shit, people, I wasn't trying to turn this into a BG&E v. SFA thread. My point was that the games are similar (essentially one button gameplay), and that BG&E looks better thanks to excellent art direction, something that Rare has lacked ever since the jump to GCN (Viva Pinata being an exception). Also, I played through SFA less than 3 months ago, and the environments and gameplay just don't hold up. There is a canned animation when using your weapon and not surrounded by enemies that just looks bad, and many of the environments are blocky, something that just doesn't lend itself to the style Rare picked, unlike Zelda: Wind Waker where blocky environments were forgiven and even encouraged thanks in large part to the style Nintendo chose. Finally, many of the textures in SFA seem carried over from its time as a N64 game (this problem exists with Eternal Darkness too, but since the camera is often pulled out far away from the character this is rarely an issue).

whitehawk said:
Dude, starfox adventures was a great game. It just wasnt a star fox game.
That was never the conversation. I think SFA is a decent game that served as an excellent appetizer until WW made its splash on the console. You're right on it not being a Star Fox game, all those elements seem very secondary and do look absolutely rushed. Comparatively, though, I think WW makes SFA look a lot more dated than it might have looked otherwise.

1-D_FTW

Eteric Rice said:

Xbox actually had a couple of games that were playable at 720P. Including Soul Calibur 2. That's what made the decision so maddening for the non-fanatics who weren't willing to defend anything. The original Xbox did 720P!!!!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Weaker than Xbox or stronger than Xbox don't mean a thing. They're two completely different architectures. And yes...

EmCeeGramr said:
It's not the fillrate, the fillrate's fine. It's the framebuffer that's the problem.
...this is the reason why the Wii can't render frames in HD.

Xabora

1-D_FTW said:
Xbox actually had a couple of games that were playable at 720P. Including Soul Calibur 2. That's what made the decision so maddening for the non-fanatics who weren't willing to defend anything. The original Xbox did 720P!!!!
Xbox had support for:
480i (4:3 & 16:9)
480p (4:3 & 16:9)
720p (4:3 & 16:9) [Black Vertical Borders in 4:3 Games]
1080i (4:3 & 16:9) [Black Vertical Borders in 4:3 Games]

;)

MNC

nincompoop said:

What the FUCK. Star Fox was amazing. As were Perfect Dark, GoldenEye and both Banjo's.
Unless I'm completely misinterpreting you :D

f@luS

More than a member.
brain_stew said:
Where any Xbox games actually rendered in 720p? I'd hazzard a guess that the majority were scaled from a lower resolution.
few
Soul calibur 2, Amped..

1-D_FTW

brain_stew said:
Was this ever proven, pixel counting and all. I've never used an original Xbox with an HDTV so I wouldn't know as the PAL Xbox only ever output 480i/576i.

I don't know if the pixel count was being fudged, but I remember hooking up a friend's new DLP many years ago and he had an Xbox and Soul Calibur 2. It was the first thing I booted up and it looked damn good for the time.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This emulator has no value since it can't play Reddo Suteero. It probably can't run it's UE2.5 amazing goodness and FEAR-style AI.

Xizer

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

All I know is, my Xbox seems to handle outputting at 1080i just fine, so it's pretty damn sad that the Wii isn't capable of that. On another note, it can also handle running Firefox 2.0 @ 720p with no problems. The Wii's web browser struggles with any page that has more than two pictures on it.

f@luS

More than a member.
brain_stew said:
Was this ever proven, pixel counting and all. I've never used an original Xbox with an HDTV so I wouldn't know as the PAL Xbox only ever output 480i/576i.
yeah but for the record, SC2 was 720p but 4/3 (more like 1024*720 ) , no widescreen in HD.
amped2 , had a really so-so framerate in 720p

pakkit said:
That was never the conversation. I think SFA is a decent game that served as an excellent appetizer until WW made its splash on the console. You're right on it not being a Star Fox game, all those elements seem very secondary and do look absolutely rushed. Comparatively, though, I think WW makes SFA look a lot more dated than it might have looked otherwise.

Starfox Adventures starts out a great game that, as it progresses, it slowly becomes apparent that Rare stopped caring. As the game nears its finale everything begins to unravel a bit. The polish begins to drop off, the storyline basically peters out... the last fourth of the game does not feel complete.

And then the final boss... what a cop-out.

A few years ago some Starfox fansite actually went digging in the SFA ISO and there's huge, massive chunks of Dinosaur Planet's script still contained in the game, unused. The original plot of the game was very different. In comparison, SFA is a shadow of what Dinosaur Planet was going to be.

Maybe we need a Starfox Adventures thread, I dunno.

Sega1991 said:
Starfox Adventures starts out a great game that, as it progresses, it slowly becomes apparent that Rare stopped caring. As the game nears its finale everything begins to unravel a bit. The polish begins to drop off, the storyline basically peters out... the last fourth of the game does not feel complete.

And then the final boss... what a cop-out.

A few years ago some Starfox fansite actually went digging in the SFA ISO and there's huge, massive chunks of Dinosaur Planet's script still contained in the game, unused. The original plot of the game was very different. In comparison, SFA is a shadow of what Dinosaur Planet was going to be.

Maybe we need a Starfox Adventures thread, I dunno.

As I suggested in the Nintendo Download thread, Nintendo should remake SFA into Dinosaur Planet, especially as you pointed out, the old assets are tucked away into the ISO (what does that stand for? I assume you mean it's in the disc), so Nintendo has what they need to complete what Rare started.

Obviously they don't want Star Fox to be associated with Dinosaur Planet anymore, only Namco chose to put the SFA references in Assult. Thank god too as that proved Nintendo owned everything from Adventures.

Could you imagine if Nintendo did that and pushed the Wii to it's limits graphically?! :O

Hero of Legend said:
As I suggested in the Nintendo Download thread, Nintendo should remake SFA into Dinosaur Planet, especially as you pointed out, the old assets are tucked away into the ISO (what does that stand for? I assume you mean it's in the disc), so Nintendo has what they need to complete what Rare started.

Obviously they don't want Star Fox to be associated with Dinosaur Planet anymore, only Namco chose to put the SFA references in Assult. Thank god too as that proved Nintendo owned everything from Adventures.

Could you imagine if Nintendo did that and pushed the Wii to it's limits graphically?! :O

An ISO is a disc image. It is the contents of a CD or DVD translated in to a file on your computer.

I had transcribed all the stuff they found in the Starfox Adventures GAMETEXT.bin on to the Hardcore Gamer Magazine Wiki, but they took the Wiki down. All that exists now is a Google cache of the page (check "History" and "Trivia").

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
radioheadrule83 said:
I recommend watching the Zelda 720p vid on your PS3. Download it off youtube using Keepvid.com

WOW o_O
That's what I was going to do, since I downloaded the MP4 as well, but I forgot :lol

Azure J

Eteric Rice said:
Why do I get the feeling that some people here are going to build small, powerful PCs to make into HDWiis? :lol

This is hilariously true. I was already in need of a better PC, then I saw this thread and came to the realization that it'd be an added bonus. :lol

Xabora

radioheadrule83 said:
Good. For two reasons

1) I want Wii HD

2) I want Celda HD all over my face

I recommend watching the Zelda 720p vid on your PS3. Download it off youtube using Keepvid.com

WOW o_O
Why?
I can play Zelda WW @ 1366x768 on my HDTV. :p
Or 1080p on my other HDTV.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Xabora said:
Why?
I can play Zelda WW @ 1366x768 on my HDTV. :p
Or 1080p on my other HDTV.

Oh. And how beautiful it'll look...:lol

This emulator has exceeded all my expectation in terms of performance. I'm playing Brawl at 1920x1200 (1080p + borders, essentially) with 4xAA at a solid 30fps. There are glitches here and there, but it's amazingly playable with four 360 controllers. Here are some captures of my game:

Brawl1HD.png

LinkHD.png

720p + 4xAA

After you upgrade your PC and buy a Wii-mote adaptor, you'll be wondering why you bought a Wii in the first place. And once they iron out all the bugs, it'll really be beyond comparison.

PusherT

I have a question if the Wii was built to have excellent 480P (SD) graphics why are we getting the result .Nintendo tripled the amunt of RAM to 88MB + the 3MB framebuffer to 91MB total or 3x what was in the GC. The GPU and CPU have been increased too. So why don't we have more Wii games that look as good a SMG,MP3 or PS2 games like MGS3/FFXII or Xbox games with large worlds like Fable. I have a 32in HDTV CRT so the Wii game with good graphics "SMG,SSBB and MP3" all look great but after that there is a drop

PusherT said:
I have a question if the Wii was built to have excellent 480P (SD) graphics why are we getting the result .Nintendo tripled the amunt of RAM to 88MB + the 3MB framebuffer to 91MB total or 3x what was in the GC. The GPU and CPU have been increased too. So why don't we have more Wii games that look as good a SMG,MP3 or PS2 games like MGS3/FFXII or Xbox games with large worlds like Fable. I have a 32in HDTV CRT so the Wii game with good graphics "SMG,SSBB and MP3" all look great but after that there is a drop

Because devs know they don't need to try.

bridegur

Cataferal said:

This emulator has exceeded all my expectation in terms of performances. I'm playing Brawl at 1920x1200 (1080p + borders, essentially) with 4xAA at a solid 30fps. There are glitches here and there, but it's amazingly playable with four 360 controllers.

After you upgrade your PC and buy a Wii-mote adaptor, you'll be wondering why you bought a Wii in the first place. And once they iron out all the bugs, it'll really be beyond comparison.

What are the specs of your PC?

Eteric Rice

PusherT said:

The devs aren't trying.

PusherT

Xabora said:
Xbox had support for:
480i (4:3 & 16:9)
480p (4:3 & 16:9)
720p (4:3 & 16:9) [Black Vertical Borders in 4:3 Games]
1080i (4:3 & 16:9) [Black Vertical Borders in 4:3 Games]

;)
Yeah Soul Calabur 2 and Tony Hawk Underground supported 720 on the original xbox . SC 2 had black bars and wasn't 16x9. I don't understand how the xbox could do HD but the Wii can't even when it has more system memory? Did the Xbox 1 have a larger framebuffer?

Eteric Rice

PusherT said:
Yeah Soul Calabur 2 and Tony Hawk Underground supported 720 on the original xbox . SC 2 had black bars and wasn't 16x9. I don't understand how the xbox could do HD but the Wii can't even when it has more system memory? Did the Xbox 1 have a larger framebuffer?

I believe so, yeah.

PusherT

TheGreatDave said:
Because devs know they don't need to try.
Alot of the games look like GC/PS2 games, with the faster CPU & triple the RAM we should atleast see Wii games with huge worlds and better AI especially since the extra RAM isn't going to into Resolution like a HD game would. Then people should also remember wii games are on DVDs now not mini dics so that alone should allow better quality textures but we haven't seen anything. I want to see what F5 could do on the Wii

Eteric Rice

PusherT said:
Alot of the games look like GC/PS2 games, with the faster CPU & triple the RAM we should atleast see Wii games with huge worlds and better AI especially since the extra RAM isn't going to into Resolution like a HD game would. Then people should also remember wii games are on DVDs now not mini dics so that alone should allow better quality textures but we haven't seen anything. I want to see what F5 could do on the Wii

LeonardMcCoy.jpg

"They're dead, Jim."

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cataferal said:

This emulator has exceeded all my expectation in terms of performance. I'm playing Brawl at 1920x1200 (1080p + borders, essentially) with 4xAA at a solid 30fps. There are glitches here and there, but it's amazingly playable with four 360 controllers. Here are some captures of my game:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/cataferal/Brawl1HD.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/cataferal/LinkHD.png[IMG]
720p + 4xAA

After you upgrade your PC and buy a Wii-mote adaptor, you'll be wondering why you bought a Wii in the first place. And once they iron out all the bugs, it'll really be beyond comparison.[/QUOTE]
What hardware are you running?

How does it fare on 1680x1050 with 4xAA?

Can you lock the framerate with vsync to 30 or 60?

Thanks, pics look stunning.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Hazaro said:
What hardware are you running?

How does it fare on 1680x1050 with 4xAA?

Can you lock the framerate with vsync to 30 or 60?

Thanks, pics look stunning.

No probs. I'll put a few more up on the next page.

Vista Home Premium 64-bit (running the x64 Dolphin build)
Quad Core Q6600 @2.4Ghz
Nforce 750i SLI mobo/ 4Gb 800Mhz RAM
9800GTX 512Mb

All stock settings.

If you can run 720p at a reasonable frame rate, you won't take a hit by bumping it up to 1680x1050. The strain seems to be more on the CPU side of things than the GPU (much like the PS2 emulator, if you've tried that). To put this into perspective for you, I can go from anywhere between native 640x480 and native 1920x1080, and regardless, it'll always lurk around the 30-40fps mark.

Minsc

Gold Member
Why has no one posted 720p 16xAA F-Zero shots?
I don't care it's not made for the Wii.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cataferal said:
No probs. I'll put a few more up on the next page.

Vista Home Premium 64-bit (running the x64 Dolphin build)
Quad Core Q6600 @2.4Ghz
Nforce 750i SLI mobo/ 4Gb 800Mhz RAM
9800GTX 512Mb

All stock settings.

If you can run 720p at a reasonable frame rate, you won't take a hit by bumping it up to 1680x1050. The strain seems to be more on the CPU side of things than the GPU (much like the PS2 emulator, if you've tried that). To put this into perspective for you, I can go from anywhere between native 640x480 and native 1920x1080, and regardless, it'll always lurk around the 30-40fps mark.
Ahh, from the tiny bit of research I've done it seems you're limited by CPU obviously like you said.

Even though it's an Nvidia board you should be able to get your CPU to 2.8Ghz at least, maybe 3.0 or higher.

I tried PS2 emulation once and didn't bother with it, I only had 1 game left to really play and I got a 60GB PS3 anyway.

I take it you still need a 8/9/ 3xxx or 4xxxx to play this well then?

Top Bottom