• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Blizzard

Banned
BrandNew said:
I haven't read much in this thread other than the screen posts, but...

...is there any reason as to why The Wii itself can't output in 720p? I'm not too knowledgeable with console tech and the like, but even when things are in 720p, these games look much better.

Or is that because these emulators are using some sort of gpu plugins to make these games look a little better?

10ic3t2.png

Slightly less obnoxious response: As many posters have tried to explain, the emulator is acting as the console, allowing things to be rendered to a larger area, providing more GPU and CPU power than the Wii has.

Man it's a god damn shame the wii doesn't have more horsepower to put out HD+decent image quality, most of these gamecube games look fantastic in HD, far better than half the "next gen" shit released these days.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
BrandNew said:
...is there any reason as to why The Wii itself can't output in 720p? I'm not too knowledgeable with console tech and the like, but even when things are in 720p, these games look much better.

Running games in a higher resolution requires extra processing power. In fact, increasing resolution is one of the the most "expensive" things you can do to improve graphics. It's likely that the Wii simply couldn't render games like Galaxy at 720p.

M3d10n

brain_stew said:
I only just decided to boot P64 back up for the first time in years because of this thread and now that I've spent more than a cursory glance, yeah, you're definitely right. Whilst that little 60fps counter is going in the corner its still rather jerky, when only playing for a couple of minutes with a keyboard I put that jerkiness down to the control and animations but, yeah its most definitely a lower frame cap. I only booted it up to take the photos so wasn't really paying attention, and me being use to playing N64 games on a PAL TV complete with constant slowdown means that its still much better than before anyway, so I'm still happy wit the improvements.

My bad, sorry for misleading anyone, but I still maintain this is the best way to play N64 games.
The 60fps counter means the emulator is running at 60hz (which means the same speed as a NTSC system), not the game itself.

stuburns said:
Yes it can.
No, it cannot. Tech docs and all. Maximum output resolution is 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC), but maximum renderable resolution is 640x576 (not sure about the height, it's been a while, but I'm sure it was higher than 480, but width could never go past 640), which can be horizontally scaled to 720.

After your little show on this thread you should refrain from making such affirmative claims on technical subjects.

StuBurns

Banned
M3d10n said:
No, it cannot. Tech docs and all. Maximum output resolution is 720x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC), but maximum renderable resolution is 640x576 (not sure about the height, it's been a while, but I'm sure it was higher than 480, but width could never go past 640), which can be horizontally scaled to 720.

After your little show on this thread you should refrain from making such affirmative claims on technical subjects.
576p is considered HD in some countries.

But I guess if it's not 720 wide then it's not really 576p, so I was wrong, I apologize.

pakkit

Banned
AzureJericho said:
You really didn't think that SFA was a great looking [keyword: looking :lol] game due to the art/animations more than the tech?
SFA is very much a screenshot game to me. The fur textures and water effects at the time were incredible and the cutscenes hold up very well, but in-game, I just think the game looks a mess. It's very Rare, in that its an odd smorgasbord of then-next-gen effects with strange archaic architecture, bad optimization, and some really unsightly textures.

But, regardless, when you say aesthetics, I think of the art-direction as well, and SFA seemed like an original IP with Star Fox copy-pasted on (because it was). The art direction just wasn't there for me, and, except for turning some of GAF into furry-lovers, it achieved very little that hadn't been done to death in other Rare titles. There are two similar games on GC I can name with what I believe to be much better aesthetics: Wind Waker and Beyond Good & Evil.

It's all opinion though. SFA was impressive technically when it arrived on the scene, but its art and overall visual style was always off=putting to me.

M3d10n

stuburns said:
576p is considered HD in some countries.

But I guess if it's not 720 wide then it's not really 576p, so I was wrong, I apologize.
That's the standard PAL resolution and has always been, but progressive. It's called "Enchanced Definition", just like 480p.

StuBurns

Banned
M3d10n said:
That's the standard PAL resolution and has always been, but progressive. It's called "Enchanced Definition", just like 480p.
SBS consider it HD. As do a lot of websites it seems, as a hell of a lot of HD videos are not 720p or above.

Burai

shitonmychest57
stuburns said:
SBS consider it HD. As do a lot of websites it seems, as a hell of a lot of HD videos are not 720p or above.

Websites don't work within TV standards though.

M3d10n

stuburns said:
IGN calling their 640x360 videos "HD" doesn't make them so.

StuBurns

Banned
M3d10n said:
IGN calling their 640x360 videos "HD" doesn't make them so.
Their HD videos are listed as 720p, though I'm not an insider so I can't download them.

I've been reading up, and it seems HD isn't anything like a fixed factual standard. 720p/1080i/p are generally considered HD, but it's an old term and it's applied to all sorts of resolutions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
OK, so what's the deal with Dolphin? Is it possible to play Wii games directly from DVD at this point (certain games, at least)?

dark10x said:
OK, so what's the deal with Dolphin? Is it possible to play Wii games directly from DVD at this point (certain games, at least)?
Just disc images. Though if you have a modified version of a very specific Hitachi/LG DVD drive, it'll read off of the disc.

Hesemonni

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
Just disc images. Though if you have a modified version of a very specific Hitachi/LG DVD drive, it'll read off of the disc.
Hmm. What about Gamecube disc? Do I need images or can the discs be read? I remember ripping them into .ISOs used to be a pain in the ass.

fizzelopeguss said:
Man it's a god damn shame the wii doesn't have more horsepower to put out HD+decent image quality, most of these gamecube games look fantastic in HD, far better than half the "next gen" shit released these days.

You should see PS2 games done this way. FFXII is really damn incredible looking and would be the best if not for Wind Waker.

http://i43.tinypic.com/eqqptu.jpg

that's one of Kingdom Hearts 2. So many of these PS2/Gamecube games look so good but can't fully be seen because of console limitations.

pakkit said:
SFA is very much a screenshot game to me. The fur textures and water effects at the time were incredible and the cutscenes hold up very well, but in-game, I just think the game looks a mess. It's very Rare, in that its an odd smorgasbord of then-next-gen effects with strange archaic architecture, bad optimization, and some really unsightly textures.

But, regardless, when you say aesthetics, I think of the art-direction as well, and SFA seemed like an original IP with Star Fox copy-pasted on (because it was). The art direction just wasn't there for me, and, except for turning some of GAF into furry-lovers, it achieved very little that hadn't been done to death in other Rare titles. There are two similar games on GC I can name with what I believe to be much better aesthetics: Wind Waker and Beyond Good & Evil.

It's all opinion though. SFA was impressive technically when it arrived on the scene, but its art and overall visual style was always off=putting to me.
Come on now, you really think this
beyond-good-evil-4.jpg

looks better than this?
StarfoxEwokV.jpg

SMMFH
Not to mention BG&E runs at around 20fps (at least on PS2, haven't played it on GC) while SFA is a super smooth 60. And also not to mention that BG&E works better as a cure for insomnia than as a video game, but that's another subject altogether.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Linkzg said:
that's one of Kingdom Hearts 2. So many of these PS2/Gamecube games look so good but can't fully be seen because of console limitations.

I long for the day that Rogue Squadron 3 starts working, if it ever happens. Maxed out AA and AF running at 1080p. Guarghg. I MUST SEE IT NOW.

m3k

Schrade said:
Do all Nintendo games have annoying
(stupid)
sounds or is it just a Japanese game thing?

I have never owned or played any Nintendo console games but I love seeing the advances in emulation for any platforms. After watching all the videos in this thread I've noticed something really off-putting about all these Nintendo system games. They all have cutesy, super repetitive and annoying sounds!

How do people get past that stuff? I guess that must be a reason why I was never into Nintendo systems.

wot
wow, what?
really?
lol
:lol !
no, like you said you never got into them cause you have never played them

Schrade said:
That must be it. Sorry guys, I didn't want to fire you all up, I was just making an observation of what turned me off of the Nintendo stuff.

I'm very impressed with the emulator, though. It's impressive to see how well it's doing during so early into the lifetime of the system. It'll be neat to see how far it will go.

you are truly curious

nincompoop said:
beyond-good-evil-4.jpg

looks better than this?
StarfoxEwokV.jpg

SMMFH
Not to mention BG&E runs at around 20fps (at least on PS2, haven't played it on GC) while SFA is a super smooth 60. And also not to mention that BG&E works better as a cure for insomnia than as a video game, but that's another subject altogether.

You had to pick the single worst Beyond Good & Evil screenshot, didn't you?

Anony

720p = hd
1080p = full hd

480p = sd
720x480 stretched to 16:9 ~ 852x480 = anamorphic sd

for wii, i'm pretty sure it's 576i not p which is edtv, pal is weird like that

Azure J

Ok, I'm a bit late due to posting and reading the majority of this topic off my Wii, but dear God, Windwaker at 720p is orgasmic. :O

Same with Super Mario Sunshine.

MNC

nincompoop said:
beyond-good-evil-4.jpg

looks better than this?
StarfoxEwokV.jpg

SMMFH

Oh FUCK ME. I am buying Beyond Good & Evil RIGHT NOW.

(Does it work on vista?)

Edit: I read the BGE as being better than SFA. You made me buy that game with a screenshot meant to be bad? :lol

dark10x

Technically speaking, Starfox Adventures kicks the shit out of BG&E. That engine was a total mess on all platforms. However, I MUCH prefer the art direction in BG&E.

SFA is a very technically impressive Cube title (much more impressive than the vast majority of Wii games).

dark10x said:
Technically speaking, Starfox Adventures kicks the shit out of BG&E. That engine was a total mess on all platforms. However, I MUCH prefer the art direction in BG&E.

SFA is a very technically impressive Cube title (much more impressive than the vast majority of Wii games).

A Michel Ancel game having better art direction than a Rare game? get out of town!

SFA did look pretty great, though. I remember my friend being obsessed with fur shading in that game. And yeah, Wii games are largely worse looking than Gamecube games since the majority try to pull off visuals similar to what's current with the big three (PC, PS3 and 360) instead of doing what looks good. There are a few exceptions here or there (Super Mario Galaxy) but largely you see devs either go super simple or try and do as detailed as they can. I'd rather them try and experiment more with different styles that better suit the Wii.

nincompoop said:
http://www.the-nextlevel.com/reviews/xbox/beyond-good-evil/beyond-good-evil-4.jpg[IMG]

looks better than this?
[IMG]http://www.nerf-herders-anonymous.net/StarfoxEwokV.jpg[IMG]

SMMFH
Not to mention BG&E runs at around 20fps (at least on PS2, haven't played it on GC) while SFA is a super smooth 60. And also not to mention that BG&E works better as a cure for insomnia than as a video game, but that's another subject altogether.[/QUOTE]

You're so fucking retarded.

dark10x said:

That's Rare, for you. Their art direction has never been spectacular but they're one of the most technically competent developers out there. They've been getting better about art direction, though (Viva Pinata, etc.)

But yeah. BG&E may not be quite as technically impressive but it kicks the shit out of Starfox Adventures in just about every other graphical department.

af906b.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
BG&E has such a great art style...

Here's a few of the nicer pics I found briefly:

17101_full.jpg

17094_full.jpg

BeyondGoodEvil_27.jpg

And it animates really well too. Never played SFA, but it actually looks nice from what I see here. I much prefer BG&E's style.

MNC

Freshly captured off the demo (Just bought the full game :D) They may have some strange artifacts thanks to vista. I swear I'll stop derailing the topic after this post!
bge2009033018334755.png

bge2009033018340935.png

bge2009033018342466.png

bge2009033018341488.png

Xabora

I'm now tempted to pickup Starfox Adventures on Amazon to see how good it looks.
And to play it too since I never did. :(

Vinci

Danish
Wind Waker has an utterly amazing art style. Everything else pretty much bows to it. Definitely looking forward to seeing what Nintendo does once they go HD.

dark10x

Xabora said:
I'm now tempted to pickup Starfox Adventures on Amazon to see how good it looks.
And to play it too since I never did. :(
Not only does it look nice, but it's one of the rare GC titles that does 480p/16:9 at 60 fps with all kinds of crazy shader effects (in addition to the fur they have some really nice looking grass throughout the game that gives basic surfaces some real depth).

It's kind of a boring game, however. It is perfect competent, I suppose, but it never really becomes all that fun. I suppose you could do worse and it is better than a lot of Wii offerings.

Man Nintendo really needs to make a NPC version of SFA.

All they need to do with the game is add a way to reexplore the planet as you were stuck fighting the final boss forever unless you don't save upto that point or start a new file. :/

That made me sell the game after I beat it.

But today I'd buy it again regardless, but I'd much rather play a Wii-enhanced version.

Question is, who would do the port? MS won't allow Rare to do it. Perhaps Nintendo can just have an internal team at HQ do it? Wonder if they could use Rare's new logo in the game?

Even though I prefer the old one. :p

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think you guys are being too hard on SFA. Sure, I agree that the character designs are no fricken contest, but I think SFA holds its own fairly well with its environment design.

What exactly do people find appealing about BG+E's art? Is it the generic main character and enemies? The goofy looking anthropomorphic pig? Or the incredibly bland enviornments? SFA may not win many points for originality but every single aspect of its visuals completely trounces BG&E.

dark10x

nincompoop said:
What exactly do people find appealing about BG+E's art? Is it the generic main character and enemies? The goofy looking anthropomorphic pig? Or the incredibly bland enviornments? SFA may not win many points for originality but every single aspect of its visuals completely trounces BG&E.
Generic main characters? I disagree completely. The environments are also quite lovely to behold. It's a unique looking game.

The game itself is also a lot better than SFA could ever hope to be and has an amazing soundtrack to go along with it.

CamHostage

(BG&E? SFA? What happened to this thread?)

This Wii emulator looks incredibly nice. I've been content just hanging out at a friend's house and playing the few Wii games I've liked rather than buying the console, but if it were just a matter of buying the remote and I've have a serviceable Wii platform to buy games for, I'd be happy.

The PS2 emulator also looks rocking from the screenshots. I've never bothered to do it before because my PC has a video-out but with these two consoles being emulated to HD almost better than the real thing (and with none of the consoles still really doing all I want as media players), I think I'd like to build a Linux Box for my entertainment stand. If I could have a little box like this tossed in my rack that could toss on PCSX2 and this Wii emu and MPlayer, then have a quick remote-controllable interface, that would be a dream.

cen_vt_settopbox.gif

Does anybody have any experience with a good case that has room to stick in hardware but that dissipates heat well and would look nice in a rack? And any recommendations on a Linux release that's fast-loading and easy to navigate? I'll do more research for myself, but I thought maybe if people had some suggestions, that'd be a better use of this thread than debating the fun factor of a Rare game from 2002.

Top Bottom