• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Happy.Neko said:
$300 netbook is more than enough for that. :)

Seriously I don't understand obsession with emulating SD games on PC. SD game is still SD game, it's not going to become Crysis by any means.

Buy a damn Wii if you are interested in wii games. It's cheaper and it's working like it was intended. Today, not the next (next) year.

Yes. Your right.

This:-

supermariogalaxy.jpg

Does look a lot better then

71k940.jpg

/rollseyes.gif

Cruceh

Banned
brain_stew said:
An OC on that quad would do wonders, its worth it for its benefits outside of the emulation scene as well fwiw.
I would if I could, trust me, but I can't because I was cheap and bought it off dell for $370 instead of building my own. Just added the gpu for $105. But it's great considering I came from a 5 year old amd64 3200+ with a 9800pro.

Cruceh said:
I would if I could, trust me, but I can't because I was cheap and bought it off dell for $370 instead of building my own. Just added the gpu for $105. But it's great considering I came from a 5 year old amd64 3200+ with a 9800pro.

Ah, fair enough, that's precisely why I'd never buy a Dell! :lol

My E5200 is basically a E8400 for all intents and purposes now, free performance is great!

You might want to try some of the more optimised games then, though be aware the emulator still has a long, long way to go.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I watched a video of in HD on Dolphin and this is all I have to say:

:O

It actually annoys me that Nintendo only took the Wii as far as 480p.

KAL2006

Banned
Let me get this straight

Can you play Wii games with no framerate problems (fullspeed) and no graphical glitches in 720p by emulating on a powerfull PC.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
KAL2006 said:
Let me get this straight

Can you play Wii games with no framerate problems (fullspeed) and no graphical glitches in 720p by emulating on a powerfull PC.
Some, some, kinda

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
KAL2006 said:
Let me get this straight

The short answer is no. Some games will play fullspeed without graphical glitches, some won't. Every game is likely to need tweaking. Every emulator update is likely to fix some things and break others. It's not a one size fits all.
When it works, it will be glorious but expect a lot of random crashes, issues, frustration. It's not going to be plug and play.
Even the best emulators out there don't play everthing.

ShinNL

Some of you don't seem to understand that upping the resolution requires more power as well. More power is more expensive. Not everyone has (the money for) a gaming PC. For example, if I play a game on my notebook, I get a much better framerate if I put something at 1024x640 instead of 1280x800.

If it's just about upping resolution output without increasing graphical power (for the Wii), then all we get are nicer screenshots and a shitty framerate. I choose framerate over resolution any day. I'll leave that variable framerate choppiness to the PC (and some games on 360 and PS3)

mr_nothin

Banned
Soneet said:
Some of you don't seem to understand that upping the resolution requires more power as well. More power is more expensive. Not everyone has (the money for) a gaming PC. For example, if I play a game on my notebook, I get a much better framerate if I put something at 1024x640 instead of 1280x800.

If it's just about upping resolution output without increasing graphical power (for the Wii), then all we get are nicer screenshots and a shitty framerate. I choose framerate over resolution any day. I'll leave that variable framerate choppiness to the PC (and some games on 360 and PS3)

Ehh, depends on the game for me. I played Crysis @ 20-70fps (alot of it was at 30fps)....with everything on full + custom config to make it look better...@ 1600x1200. I wouldn't trade that for a steady 60fps any day. But Crysis is a weird case because even though the game would run at 20 fps sometimes, it didnt really seem like 20 fps. Same with Doom3

Tendo

I can't wait for this to be on par with the ps2 emulator in a few years. No sound in TP stopped me from diving all the way in right now, and I do need a faster proc, but I can't wait for near perfect emu.

Cataferal said:
Why buy a Wii?

Because the emulation isn't quite there yet. What these pictures don't show is that many of these games can't be played at a good framerate even with a really powerful computer. And because of emulation issues and glitches, some games can't even be played at all.

Tendo said:
I can't wait for this to be on par with the ps2 emulator in a few years. No sound in TP stopped me from diving all the way in right now, and I do need a faster proc, but I can't wait for near perfect emu.

They've got the sound working in TP.

Aesius

Fucking A.

How quickly are they progressing on this? If I were to get a cheap but powerful (E8400, 4770, etc) come this November would A) I be able to play and complete Galaxy and TP at an acceptable framerate and B) would the emulator have enhanced performance by then?

This and the PS2 emulator are like a dream come true for me. Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade now or wait a little while longer (like, a year or more?) This will probably be my last ever desktop and I'm mainly going to build it for this.

Aesius said:
Fucking A.

How quickly are they progressing on this? If I were to get a cheap but powerful (E8400, 4770, etc) come this November would A) I be able to play and complete Galaxy and TP at an acceptable framerate and B) would the emulator have enhanced performance by then?

This and the PS2 emulator are like a dream come true for me. Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade now or wait a little while longer (like, a year or more?) This will probably be my last ever desktop and I'm mainly going to build it for this.
Wait a year, the emulator should hopefully be better by then as well.

Cataferal said:
Why buy a Wii?
It's MUCH easier to dump games with a Wii.

Also, I don't know of the Wii Remote works well with the emulator or not.

Also, Wiiware games.

Speaking of Wiiware games, is it legal to run WADs on the emulator? From what I understand, you can only download unencrypted WADs through sketchy means, but it is only legal if you were to download it from Nintendo through your Wii, but if you do, it's encrypted or something.

scitek

ShockingAlberto said:
These screenshots are boner-inducing, then consequently cock-stomping once you see the FPS mark.

Same with my PC, it just can't handle the emulator at proper speed. I can take some screens though I think.

DungeonO

Enemy Of Fate said:
That looks great, is the entire game done in that style?If so where can I get it!!!

Of course it is!

83ce5a4c.png

9bfa1580.png

gb4.jpg

Unfortunately though, it's not finished. I spent a lot of time going from that original screen everyone made fun of to how it is now, so I'm not quite done yet. So, in the meantime, the version you see in the screens isn't available. However, there are older versions floating around the internet.

scitek

DungeonO said:
Of course it is!

Damn man, nice work! How long have you been working on it? Can I ask you some questions about it for my online gaming show I'm going to be doing starting next week?

Daante

Zenith said:
the modded PC version has already way surpassed those shots.

Tried to get that working some time ago, but failed :(
To much work to get everything togheter it seems for me.

Those screens above looks fantastic anyway!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Zenith said:
Would you have a link to where I can DL all the stuff to make it up to fluff? I still have an untouched copy lying here that I've been meaning to try out!

I don't know if this game has been posted yet... but I finally got around to dumping the game from the Wii hard drive to my computer to emulate it.

Each pic is plus or minus a megabyte big, so I'm only showing 2 and leavingthe rest as links.
s49l4x.png

http://i32.tinypic.com/lwl15.png
http://i31.tinypic.com/2eoyzpu.png
http://i28.tinypic.com/zwkbhw.png
aag374.png

Because it is a 2D game made for 640x480, it doesn't always look "OMG Amazing" because of a little pixelation or bluriness, but it still looks nice, I think.

nincompoop said:
Holy fucking shit.

This could pass for an Xbox 360 game, easily.

Aren't the Ada Missions just the PS2 assets crammed into the Wii? I'm not sure how the PS2 Ada model compares with Leon. I know the PS2 Leon has roughly half the polygon count.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ogs said:
In engine cut scenes too.
There's no doubt that the Gamecube/Wii version of Resident Evil 4 is the best version out there, graphically. Whoever tells you different doesn't know wth they're talking about.

Why would you do that? said:
Because it is a 2D game made for 640x480, it doesn't always look "OMG Amazing" because of a little pixelation or bluriness, but it still looks nice, I think.
Looks like it's supposed to look: a 640x480 2D game upsized to HD resolutions.

Aka, like crap.

Why would you do that? said:
A side note...
Is there any way to move save files to the Wii?
i would like to take my save files and use them on the Wii. Would make so much screenshotting easier.
Not without some homebrew tapping.

Cow Mengde said:
Aren't the Ada Missions just the PS2 assets crammed into the Wii? I'm not sure how the PS2 Ada model compares with Leon. I know the PS2 Leon has roughly half the polygon count.
Nope, that's Assignment Ada, the mission that was also in the original game.

Also, Leondexter once made a comparison thread that revealed the added PS2 scenario Separate Ways uses GameCube assets for the Wii edition – where they previously existed on the GameCube. As far as I know, only the shipyard, parts of the tunnel and the herbs in Separate Ways are PS2 quality on the Wii.

Zenith

Banned
Teetris said:
Would you have a link to where I can DL all the stuff to make it up to fluff? I still have an untouched copy lying here that I've been meaning to try out!

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=573

Texture resolution, sure. But the lighting and polygon detail of the Wii version still outclasses the ps2-ported PC version.

PC version has lighting mods.

There's no doubt that the Gamecube/Wii version of Resident Evil 4 is the best version out there, graphically. Whoever tells you different doesn't know wth they're talking about.

I disagree.

drizzle said:
Looks like it's supposed to look: a 640x480 2D game upsized to HD resolutions.
Aka, like crap.

Not without some homebrew tapping.
To the first point, yes, you're right, I guess. I downscaled it and upscaled it in Photoshop and it pretty much looked the same. :( I thought it looked nice, though.

To your second point... I guess I'll have to look around for the appropriate homebrew, so thanks.

I did more pictures just now, of Sonic and the Black Knight. Sure, the game isn't all that great, but some areas do look nice.

vgftc.png

2rrto28.png

Varna

Zenith said:

You still can't have the GC lighting in the PC version can you?

EDIT: The only lighting mods I've come across ad stupid bloom type effects. I haven't seen one that adds the dynamic lighting from the GC version.

Top Bottom