• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Durante

FRAPs works well for me in Dophin.

I still wonder what people are talking about when they mention "so many" workarounds for NSMB. The only thing I did was turning off fog :/

Luigiv

brain_stew said:
Most of the time its not even that high.
Most is a bit of a hyperbole here. I know for a fact which of the games I own run in anamorphic widescreen (640x480) and which run is shortscreen (640x360) as my TV displays the former quite crisply and the latter with a slight blur. Most do run in anamorphic widescreen.

Luigiv said:
Most is a bit of a hyperbole here. I know for a fact which of the games I own run in anamorphic widescreen (640x480) and which run is shortscreen (640x360) as my TV displays the former quite crisply and the latter with a slight blur. Most do run in anamorphic widescreen.

Those that are anamorphic widescreen are very rarely rendering the full 640x480 frame, which is why you'll get thick black borders on the edge of your screen if it is setup to disable overscan

Luigiv

brain_stew said:
Those that are anamorphic widescreen are very rarely rendering the full 640x480 frame, which is why you'll get thick black borders on the edge of your screen if it is setup to disable overscan
Never heard of overscan before. I'll get back to you once I've tested this out for myself.

x3sphere

NSMB running at 2560x1600 res: Looks absolutely beautiful in motion :D I have a i7 920 @ 3.2GHz and HD5970. Never dips below 60 FPS.

DolphinIL-2009-12-03-16-08-07-88.jpg

DolphinIL-2009-12-03-16-05-45-59.jpg

I am getting an error message "this is not a valid Win 32 application" when I try to launch the Dolphin.exe file. Can anyone assist?

I am running Windows XP

Thx

Durante said:
FRAPs works well for me in Dophin.

I still wonder what people are talking about when they mention "so many" workarounds for NSMB. The only thing I did was turning off fog :/
well for one thing you'll notice the lack of shading on many things with DX9. the character's heads are fine. coins are fine, but enemies are flat shaded, as is yoshi (though his eating face isn't amusingly).

there's various things you can do, but at the moment they are work arounds. with a few tweaks it should either be shaded in dx9 or full speed in open gl on more set ups.

jangotangos said:
I am getting an error message "this is not a valid Win 32 application" when I try to launch the Dolphin.exe file. Can anyone assist?

I am running Windows XP

Thx
Sounds like you downloaded the 64-bit Dolphin.

this is the difference between looking at jaggies and looking at graphics.
who ever says jaggies are a non issue shoud buy a pair of fucking eyes.

54-46!

Is it possible to run Windwaker and Metroid Prime 1-2 at a stable (30ish) framerate?

My system:
- Phenom II X4 955
- Radeon 4890 1GB
- 4GB RAM
- Win7

Eiji said:
They aren't using the OpenGL plugin. The D3D9 plugin exhibits the lighting problem.
most people are running the dx9 plugin cause it runs much faster. there's no playing at crazy resolutions in OGL for most people, though it should be fixable.

if you disable EFB copy in OGL it runs great, but textures of stuff off screen at the time you disabled it will probably be all fucked up. you can toggle it on and off again to grab those textures and keep it looking and playing well... but they took out the shortcut key to do it that earlier versions had so it's kinda annoying.

still, strikes me as something that can and will be fixed, as does the DX9 lighting issues. give them another couple of builds and i'd bet both plugins will be running the game at full speed properly (perhaps with the exception of the spinning coins).

54-46! said:
Is it possible to run Windwaker and Metroid Prime 1-2 at a stable (30ish) framerate?

My system:
- Phenom II X4 955
- Radeon 4890 1GB
- 4GB RAM
- Win7
64 bit?

windwaker absolutely. 32 bit... probably. not too sure about prime 1 and 2. you need to run those at 60 to get full speed. i think they ran fairly well last i tried and that was a good few builds back.

x3sphere said:
NSMB running at 2560x1600 res: Looks absolutely beautiful in motion :D I have a i7 920 @ 3.2GHz and HD5970. Never dips below 60 FPS.
I am all for a better resolution but the 2D assets scale ugly, so it's pointless for you to run at that res IMO, looks worse then 640x480.

Twig

Banned
x3sphere said:
Good god that is disgusting.

Even ignoring all the ugly blown up 2D crap, what's with the aliasing. No AA? THEN WHAT'S THE POINT. ):

And where the hell are the shadows? Or is that just an issue with the game period? (I don't own it yet.)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
tried to get this running but it requires the LLE sound plugin and not the HLE plugin or some such.

turning that on gives a couple *.bin files not found errors relating to that.

I give up for now.

JohnsonUT

How much do the aliasing and filtering affect the frame rate compared to the resolution? I am trying to get the highest possible resolution while still having good image quality and stable and usable frame rate. But, adding any AA slows things down to a crawl most of the time.

Specs: I5 and 4870.

x3sphere said:

DolphinIL-2009-12-03-16-05-45-59.jpg

What exactly looks beautiful to you in this shot? To me it looks like a trainwreck...

Dash

Does anyone know how well Skies of Arcadia, Metroid Prime 2 and Tales of Symphonia run?

Also, how does the dongle work for the Wii remotes? Do you just plug it in by itself and it detects your Wii remote?

Red

I can't get the scan visor to work properly in MP2. So while the performance is fine (mostly 60 fps), I can't actually get past the first area of the game.

Don't know if anyone here has had better luck.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Crunched said:
I can't get the scan visor to work properly in MP2. So while the performance is fine (mostly 60 fps), I can't actually get past the first area of the game.

Don't know if anyone here has had better luck.

Known issue I believe- does it even show up properly in MP?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I just started messing around with the dolphin emulator as I found my old copy of wind waker (my gc is long gone at this point) and had the urge to play again. Holy god damn does it look nice at high resolutions! On the latest build using the d3d plugin is runs surprisingly well with fairly accurate sound. I'm impressed.

However I am encountering crashes here and there, and a certain glitch prevents me from progressing. When I get the telescope in the beginning I have to look at the mailbox, but the screen goes completely black save for the telescope hud and text box. Does anyone have any suggestions or patches to fix this?

Red

Why would you want to play it stretched out like that though? Forcing widescreen in Wind Waker takes away from the game, I think. Always distracted me when I played like that.

Twig

Banned
Crunched said:
Why would you want to play it stretched out like that though? Forcing widescreen in Wind Waker takes away from the game, I think. Always distracted me when I played like that.
Yeah it looks terrible.

Mostly because of the GUI I guess but... totally not worth it.

defferoo

the widescreen in dolphin now works for gamecube games... meaning the 3D isn't stretched anymore, the aspect ratio is actually correct. it's just the 2D overlay (hearts and items) that is stretched.

Crunched said:
Just the HUD is stretched, the 3D isn't.

Red

defferoo said:
the widescreen in dolphin now works for gamecube games... meaning the 3D isn't stretched anymore, the aspect ratio is actually correct. it's just the 2D overlay (hearts and items) that is stretched.
Either way, looks off to me. Little things like that always bug me. I didn't realize the aspect ratio had been fixed, though... maybe I'll give it another try sometime.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
defferoo said:
Exactly. My browser won't load more than half those screens for some reason, but what I see isn't stretched at all. Just the HUD is. Anyone complaining about stretching should have their eyes checked.

bridegur

Wind Waker looks amazing in widescreen. The HUD stretching is barely noticeable. I wish I had a computer with enough power to run it.

Twig

Banned
defferoo said:
Yeah. It still looks bad, though. ):

P.S., I meant to say HUD, not GUI. I do that all the time.

EDIT: Barely noticeable? It's fucking atrocious is what it is.

Red

Jocchan said:
Exactly. My browser won't load more than half those screens for some reason, but what I see isn't stretched at all. Just the HUD is. Anyone complaining about stretching should have their eyes checked.
I think I was forcing myself to think it was stretched out because of a past experiences with it :lol

But the HUD does look very bad still.

jarosh

.:Wesker:. said:
Actually it looks slightly better since the assets are a bit higher-res than they need to be for a 480p game.
that would only matter if the game rendered its sprites inside a 3d engine. does muramasa do that? does it run on a 3d engine?

Top Bottom