• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

scitek

Meier said:
Why is there a Wii emulator that can render in higher resolution than the system but not a PSP one apparently? Does no one care?

Because the PSP is a handheld system with its own screen that makes its games look fantastic. The Wii is being played on HDTVs which make its games look like Swamp Thing's ass.

xemumanic

scitek said:
Because the PSP is a handheld system with its own screen that makes its games look fantastic. The Wii is being played on HDTVs which make its games look like Swamp Thing's ass.

Well also, the Wii is nothing more than an overclocked Game Cube hardware wise, and apparently, it wasn't too hard (comparatively) for the Dolphin developers who were long since working on a Game Cube emulator, to add Wii support, since much of the base work was already done. Remember that Dolphin was the codename for the Game Cube, not the Wii.

d[-_-]b

Banned
scitek said:
Isn't it more because the PSP has no ga...
oh yeah you don't say Swamp Thing's ass......

scitek said:
Where can I get one of these mythical PSPs with a screen that doesn't make PSP games look like a jaggy dithered mess?

xemumanic said:
Well also, the Wii is nothing more than an overclocked Game Cube hardware wise, and apparently, it wasn't too hard (comparatively) for the Dolphin developers who were long since working on a Game Cube emulator, to add Wii support, since much of the base work was already done. Remember that Dolphin was the codename for the Game Cube, not the Wii.

There's a difference between similar architecture and an overclock job. ;)

scitek

nincompoop said:
Where can I get one of these mythical PSPs with a screen that doesn't make PSP games look like a jaggy dithered mess?

Really? A mess?

I thought he was asking why people care so much about a Wii emulator and not for a PSP one. To me, it's because more people wish the Wii was an HD console than care to play PSP games in high resolutions.

nightez

Banned
Anybody got a shot of the water in Super Mario Sunshine?

Edit: I've just seen the Mario Sunshine videos. The water effects are indeed completely missing. Like I had predicted it would be impossible to replicate any of the indirect texturing effects on the PC. Its just not going to be possible at all.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
xemumanic said:
Well also, the Wii is nothing more than an overclocked Game Cube hardware wise
It also has more RAM. /shrug

M3d10n

nightez said:
Edit: I've just seen the Mario Sunshine videos. The water effects are indeed completely missing. Like I had predicted it would be impossible to replicate any of the indirect texturing effects on the PC. Its just not going to be possible at all.
What? Shader Model 2.0 is capable of reproducing *all* of the TEV features with ease. Indirect texturing is just using the result of a texture sample to modify the texture coordinates used to sample another texture. Half Life 2 is full of those effects.

So do you guys think there is a possibility to a wii HD coming out? I want to setup my computer to play all these wii games, but Im thinkin of just waiting it out and hoping for an actual system.

ArjanN

TrAcEr_x90 said:
So do you guys think there is a possibility to a wii HD coming out? I want to setup my computer to play all these wii games, but Im thinkin of just waiting it out and hoping for an actual system.

Maybe. But not for at least another year.

And knowing Nintendo they would make you buy the games again.

Durante

M3d10n said:
What? Shader Model 2.0 is capable of reproducing *all* of the TEV features with ease. Indirect texturing is just using the result of a texture sample to modify the texture coordinates used to sample another texture. Half Life 2 is full of those effects.
Exactly. Also, Sunshine water is actually fixed in recent (even semi-recent) revisions.

By the way, Dolphin just started supporting multiple real and/or emulated Wiimotes. I think we can at least partly thank NSMB Wii for that happening :D

nightez

Banned
Durante said:
Exactly. Also, Sunshine water is actually fixed in recent (even semi-recent) revisions.

By the way, Dolphin just started supporting multiple real and/or emulated Wiimotes. I think we can at least partly thank NSMB Wii for that happening :D
Oh seen. You got any screen shots?

Michan

I'm doing a weekly Mario sales chart over in the Media Create threads and the Mario in screenshots provided generously by Wesker is almost too small for the chart now.

1262315522-mario_311209.png

I was wondering if somebody could take high resolution screenshots of Mario so I could scale them down to use in this chart. The size of Mario varies each week, and when scaling down, the pixels are less jagged if he's larger in size. I think there's a section before fighting Bowser Jr. where the characters are much larger in relation to the screen; the larger the better.

I'm looking for some screencaps of Penguin Mario running/sliding/shooting ice, Fire Mario running/shooting fire, and Propeller Mario running/taking off. If you could switch the anti aliasing off (since it makes it easier to cut out that way) and save as a PNG I would appreciate that super-greatly.

I don't really need the rest of the screenshot, so if you like, you can crop it if it saves server space.

Thank you very much in advance! :D

I'll see what I can do. My monitor's native res is 2304x1440 so I should be able to get some slightly bigger stuff if I use that instead of 1920x1080 like I have been.

Michan

.:Wesker:. said:
I'll see what I can do. My monitor's native res is 2304x1440 so I should be able to get some slightly bigger stuff if I use that instead of 1920x1080 like I have been.
Awesome. Thank you very much. :)

nightez said:

:lol :lol

Gagaman

Michan said:
I'm doing a weekly Mario sales chart over in the Media Create threads and the Mario in screenshots provided generously by Wesker is almost too small for the chart now.

1262315522-mario_311209.png
That's quite depressing to see how low Mario Galaxy is.

Red Scarlet said:
What's FMSMB? I know the other ones (wow Mario Galaxy didn't sell much at all).
Famicom Mini* Super Mario Bros. I guess the sales figures count the Happy! Mario 20th reprint.

*-AKA NES Classics. The NES games released on GBA to celebrate 20 years of Famicom.

[Nintex]

Go to the Sacred Forest/Lost Woods/Temple of Time Area or whatever it is called, that is the best textured area in the game. Also some HD shots of the Twilight Realm would be nice. Ordon Village is a different game when you compare the two forests. It seems that someone at Nintendo forgot to pay the texture artists or something.

[Nintex] said:
Go to the Sacred Forest/Lost Woods/Temple of Time Area or whatever it is called, that is the best textured area in the game. Also some HD shots of the Twilight Realm would be nice. Ordon Village is a different game when you compare the two forests. It seems that someone at Nintendo forgot to pay the texture artists or something.
Will do cap'n.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks like MadWorld is stuck in standard def, but at least it works.

There are videos on YouTube of the game running at 720p which look crisper than SD.

Durante

[awesome Zelda shot]
This GUI elements stuff is really strange. They look good in that screenshot even at 1440p. Compare that with PS2 games where the UI often starts to look relatively bad even at 2x upscaling.

JADS

Looks like MadWorld is stuck in standard def, but at least it works.

Try using the directX plugin and enable EFB Scaled Copy, it should be under enhancements.

Edit: Here is a screenshot of Madworld with EFB Scaled Copy. The DirectX plugin does have some issues with Madworld though. As you can see there is a huge blackbar at the bottom :lol

Haunted

Durante said:
This GUI elements stuff is really strange. They look good in that screenshot even at 1440p. Compare that with PS2 games where the UI often starts to look relatively bad even at 2x upscaling.
The only explanation is that they've actually used high resolution bitmaps for the HUD elements for some reason.

[Nintex]

Durante said:
Maybe Nintendo kept all the options open when they decided that. So that if they'd change the revolution/wii specifications at the last minute they'd still be able to port Zelda and the HUD wouldn't be a mess.

Haunted

[Nintex] said:
Maybe Nintendo kept all the options open when they decided that. So that if they'd change the revolution/wii specifications at the last minute they'd still be able to port Zelda and the HUD wouldn't be a mess.
Zelda TP HD edition for Wii+ confirmed.

JADS said:
Try using the directX plugin and enable EFB Scaled Copy, it should be under enhancements.

Edit: Here is a screenshot of Madworld with EFB Scaled Copy. The DirectX plugin does have some issues with Madworld though. As you can see there is a huge blackbar at the bottom :lol
Ah, that does look quite a bit better.

Luigiv

Haunted said:
The only explanation is that they've actually used high resolution bitmaps for the HUD elements for some reason.
Well that isn't the only explanation. There's always vector graphics to consider.

Haunted

Luigiv said:
Well that isn't the only explanation. There's always vector graphics to consider.
Should've said the only explanation I could think of. :lol

Someone with more knowledge of the technical stuff should be able to clear this up, though. There's one of the Dolphin devs posting right here.

ector

Neo Member
Haunted said:
Should've said the only explanation I could think of. :lol

Someone with more knowledge of the technical stuff should be able to clear this up, though. There's one of the Dolphin devs posting right here.

Nah, just like in NSMBW, they simply used higher resolution 2D bitmaps than necessary for no good reason, which is great for people playing the games in emulators :)

ector said:
Nah, just like in NSMBW, they simply used higher resolution 2D bitmaps than necessary for no good reason, which is great for people playing the games in emulators :)
And people act like their art teams will be stumped on newer hardware.

Top Bottom