• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Sorry for the bump, but I was about to purchase an ati HD5770 to improve my performance on this emulator but wanted to know if my current card was holding it back or my CPU. I have a Core2Duo E7200 (2.53 GHz originally) overclocked to 3.2 Ghz. My current card is a Geforce 7900GS.

So will upgrading the graphics card give me a huge boost in FPS, or is the CPU the issue? Or both?

I currently get 30 FPS max on most games (average is lower), makes most of them unplayable.

Louminater said:
Sorry for the bump, but I was about to purchase an ati HD5770 to improve my performance on this emulator but wanted to know if my current card was holding it back or my CPU. I have a Core2Duo E7200 (2.53 GHz originally) overclocked to 3.2 Ghz. My current card is a Geforce 7900GS.

So will upgrading the graphics card give me a huge boost in FPS, or is the CPU the issue? Or both?
Try playing some games while looking at your processor usage. For me, with a dual core Athlon 2.7 GHz and a Geforce 9800 GTX+ video card, it's mostly the CPU holding back the emulation.

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that it also depends on what game you're playing.

Firestorm

Q9550 @ 3.4 GHz + GTX 275
Native Resolution: 1360x768

Should I be using 2xSS or some form of MSAA for the best image / framerate balance?

Why would you do that? said:
Try playing some games while looking at your processor usage. For me, with a dual core Athlon 2.7 GHz and a Geforce 9800 GTX+ video card, it's mostly the CPU holding back the emulation.

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that it also depends on what game you're playing.

Yeah the CPU is being used 100% :(... I just thought that if I was using a 1gb graphics card, it would take some of the load off of the CPU... I guess not?

Edit: Also, I don't even turn on the damn HD mode and the FPS is already crappy. I've tried SMG, NSMB Wii, and a few Gamecube games... The only one thats playable at 30FPS is Twilight Princess (GCN version) for me

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
NSMB Wii runs fabulously for me at 1440x900. I unchecked Enable Audio Throttle as recommended, which had moderate improvements, and I forced it to run 60FPS as well. Menus indeed blow through at 60FPS, and gameplay goes between 28-34FPS. With 8xMSAA, 8x Anisotropic Filtering it dips down into the 24-28FPS range. It's definitely playable though, either way.

Animal Crossing, works, but on a later revision. There are some graphical blips, but the game seems to run flawlessly.

We own a ton of Wii games, so we're definitely going to try them all!

System here is:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
4GB RAM
Windows 7 (64-bit)

And screens:

2d0gyz7.png

2lt4qxz.png

sx2of4.png

Durante

So, after 3 years or so F-Zero GX is now finally playable in Dolphin. The only remaining problem I could find is that some shadows are corrupted sometimes.

DolphinIL-2010-01-15-17-38-59-01.jpg

DolphinIL-2010-01-15-17-55-29-26.jpg

DolphinIL-2010-01-15-17-55-45-93.jpg

Durante said:
So, after 3 years or so F-Zero GX is now finally playable in Dolphin. The only remaining problem I could find is that some shadows are corrupted sometimes.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

BRB F-ZERO GX'ING

Yeah someone needs to grab some F-zero GX screens in at least 4xAA in a massive resolution.

Just from those smaller images alone the game still looks fucking amazing.

ector

Neo Member
Shamelessly stealing shuffle2's pictures:

GFZE01-2.png

GFZE01-4.png

GFZE01-16.png

GFZE01-7.png

GFZE01-28.png

Have fun. All thanks to skidau's amazing coding work.

Btw, hint: F-Zero has a built-in widescreen mode. Use that and set Dolphin to force widescreen.

Kenka

Durante said:

Fu
ck

Ye
ah

Fuck Yeah.

ector

Neo Member
shuffle2's widescreen shots:

GFZE01-37.png

GFZE01-38.png

GFZE01-39.png

GFZE01-40.png

GFZE01-41.png

GFZE01-42.png

Damn. I need to speed this damn thing up, 20-40 fps, which I get on my machine, just doesn't cut it.

ector

Neo Member
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Okay NOW I'm ready to jump in :lol: F-Zero time :D

Will my PC be able to emulate GC/Wii?
Intel Core2 Quad Q8300 2.50GHz
6gb ram
ATI Radeon HD 4350

Sure, it'll be playable and beautiful. You're not gonna get full speed on all tracks though - I don't think anyone can.

darkwings

Banned
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Okay NOW I'm ready to jump in :lol: F-Zero time :D

Will my PC be able to emulate GC/Wii?
Intel Core2 Quad Q8300 2.50GHz
6gb ram
ATI Radeon HD 4350

well you dont gain anything by running a quad core. CPU speed are what matters and 2.5ghz is on the slow side.

MNC

Shiieeet I just bought this game for the wii and it's awesome :D Good to see it finally works! This game would look BEAUTIFUL in motion! Any videos of it yet?

Durante

Normally I'd be the first to post high-res crazy AA images, but for F-Zero stable 60 FPS are more important so I'm playing at only 720p 2xAA currently.

Kenka said:
But please, could you tell me why this .gif is banned ? Thank you.
Probably the same reason anything is banned: It annoys some mod.

Medalion

Banned
Pretty neat about F-Zero GX in HD
The polygons looks great...but the slightly lower-res faded textures of the text and graphical bars still need work.

bee

ok, game runs practically flawless @ 1680x1050, 4xaa, 16xaf with nvidia 3D vision!!!( aside from framerates of 30-45) there are no pop out effects but the increased depth is very nice indeed and it actually works a lot better in 3D than a lot of pc games. took some 3D screens but you need the glasses to view them

http://www.mediafire.com/?nzcnomujkmt

RavenFox said:
Will run on win 7 64bit no problemo right?

thats what i'm running it on

Brashnir

New version (r4850) seems to fix the lighting problem on some NSMBW models in D3D mode. Everything is perfect now, and runs at an almost-perfect 60fps for me in 1080p. Sweet.

Now I just need to finish off the stuff I'm already playing so I can actually dig into it.

Durante

Brashnir said:
New version (r4850) seems to fix the lighting problem on some NSMBW models in D3D mode. Everything is perfect now, and runs at an almost-perfect 60fps for me in 1080p. Sweet.
More recently the problem where some of the post-processing effects (eg. the heat haze in World 2) were rendered to the wrong rendertarget was also fixed. Really, the only remaining thing seem to be the spinning coins.

Fox the Sly said:
Apparently only a JIT version of the emu works for F-Zero, but I don't see any recent JIT (x64) builds. :(
I think you mean IL instead of JIT? Anyway, they are available here for example.

Fox the Sly

Durante said:
More recently the problem where some of the post-processing effects (eg. the heat haze in World 2) were rendered to the wrong rendertarget was also fixed. Really, the only remaining thing seem to be the spinning coins.

I think you mean IL instead of JIT? Anyway, they are available here for example.

Thanks for the link. I read "JIT" somewhere lol. Finally got past the memory card screen now.

selig

Banned
im sure it has been asked before, but: would it be possible for some hypothetical "Wii HD" to upscale Wii and GameCube-games into what´s seen in this thead? Especially F-Zero GX looks perfectly fine and really wouldnt need a sequel, haha.

Top Bottom