• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Durante

selig said:
im sure it has been asked before, but: would it be possible for some hypothetical "Wii HD" to upscale Wii and GameCube-games into what´s seen in this thead? Especially F-Zero GX looks perfectly fine and really wouldnt need a sequel, haha.
Theoretically, yes. The problem is that the process may not work perfectly for all games. While this is accepted in an emulator (and you can just change the settings), in console BC they would have to have profiles for every game or something like that to reach the desired level of compatibility.
In any case, don't use the word "upscaling", it's not really correct. It's "rendering at a higher resolution" (and with AA and AF) that makes the difference.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Durante said:
Theoretically, yes. The problem is that the process may not work perfectly for all games. While this is accepted in an emulator (and you can just change the settings), in console BC they would have to have profiles for every game or something like that to reach the desired level of compatibility.
In any case, don't use the word "upscaling", it's not really correct. It's "rendering at a higher resolution" (and with AA and AF) that makes the difference.
They can just add an option to choose between rendering at higher resolution (with the warning some older games may not visualize correctly) or simply upscaling the picture.
If they call this option somewhat generic like Image Quality Enhancements On/Off, no one will be scared by technical lingo.

Sectus said:
If the backgrounds were re-rendered in high resolution, REmake would be a perfect fit for current gen consoles.

2v1ogmo.jpg
This is just too much goodness! There is all kinds of great depth in here. Its laughable how insanely great this looks :lol

jett

D-Member
selig said:
im sure it has been asked before, but: would it be possible for some hypothetical "Wii HD" to upscale Wii and GameCube-games into what´s seen in this thead? Especially F-Zero GX looks perfectly fine and really wouldnt need a sequel, haha.

That would be extremely difficult. Games aren't just being "upscaled" here, they're being re-rendered in higher resolutions, and this emulator requiress a pretty fucking powerful computer. :p

Borman

Eh a Wii HD could do it with minimal effort though. The powerful computer is required due to not-the-best programming, no resources, and the fact that its all emulated. Through a comparable (but quicker) PPC and ATI chip in (basically, do the same thing that was done with the Wii, but on a larger scale), along with the other spec bumps, and it could be done for -relatively- cheapily

Durante

Sure, but then you'd be saddled with a 10 year old GPU architecture again, but with the added disadvantage of having to actually invest money into creating a custom "new old" design to get a significant speedup from it. I don't think that's worth it for slightly easier BC. If the system is sufficiently powerful software emulation should be enough (maybe needing a few profiles) and more cost effective.

Durante said:
So, after 3 years or so F-Zero GX is now finally playable in Dolphin. The only remaining problem I could find is that some shadows are corrupted sometimes.
YES!!! I also noticed there's an option so it renders the game in red/blue 3D. Finally my dream of HD 3D F-Zero is kind of coming true! :D

bee

haha this is pretty funny, of the small amount of games i have to test on dolphin barring soul calibur 2 they all either don't display in 3D at all, crash, glitch or just look shit. that is except f-zero, if this was a pc game and on nvidias 3D compatibilty list it would be at least be labelled as good, maybe even excellent

it actually puts a lot of pc games to shame in 3D, the only very small thing is the shadows under the ships look at the wrong depth but its is very minor and a lot of pc games have this aswell. i was wrong earlier when i said it doesn't have any pop out action , the replays have some pop out 3D :D

here's a couple more 3D screens for the 5 people that can probably view them on this forum

http://www.mediafire.com/?it0mgjzjg24

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I just got this up and running on my new PC and its amazing, I kind of let my Wii fall to the way side but this has totally brought me back to the Wii and from looking around some of the Emu forums I noticed this thread about the new texture loading feature for the OpenGL plugin where you can dump the textures from the game, modify them and then load them into the game to do stuff like this:

203826d1241791588-about-hi-res-texture-loader-wtfisthis.jpg

Sadly though I cant get my games to run well at all in OpenGL but Ive gotten almost all my games running in 1080p full AA and AF on D3D.

Enduin said:
I just got this up and running on my new PC and its amazing, I kind of let my Wii fall to the way side but this has totally brought me back to the Wii and from looking around some of the Emu forums I noticed this thread about the new texture loading feature for the OpenGL plugin where you can dump the textures from the game, modify them and then load them into the game to do stuff like this:

203826d1241791588-about-hi-res-texture-loader-wtfisthis.jpg

Sadly though I cant get my games to run well at all in OpenGL but Ive gotten almost all my games running in 1080p full AA and AF on D3D.
Are the HUD elements dumping? If someone just cleaned them up/made them widescreen compatible this game would be perfect.

bdouble

HOLY SHIT BALLS.

F-Zero is crazy. Nintendo don't make one for Wii. Just wait and do it next gen. I will wait 4 more years. It will be insane.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Unfortunately, I still can't run RE Remake at full speed. Its pretty decent most of the time, but whenever an animated background (particularly the one with the candle lights) appears, it all goes to hell.

Oh, and of course.. the occasional monster people..

ItgALGkLM.jpg

Aesius

Sectus said:
I'm using the latest version (rev 4846), and it seems to work just fine.

Where can I download that? The latest revision on the site says 4771 (and REmake seems to be broken in that revision).

Sectus

Aesius said:
Where can I download that? The latest revision on the site says 4771 (and REmake seems to be broken in that revision).
http://www.mediafire.com/orleans

I'm running DolpinIL.exe, with the OpenGL settings. I think everything is at default settings exceot "Auto scale" is set to on in the opengl settings, that fixes the aspect ratio for the game.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Sectus, can you upload that build somewhere? It looks like the page I linked to took it down and the one you linked to doesn't have that specific build either. x64 if possible ;)

Sectus

Dot50Cal said:
Sectus, can you upload that build somewhere? It looks like the page I linked to took it down and the one you linked to doesn't have that specific build either. x64 if possible ;)
Did you try the latest version on that page? The version I'm using right now was the latest version a few days ago, I'm just periodically updating. REmake has been working perfectly for me for many revisions now.

Red

cyberheater said:
And now the Wii emulator can do real time stereoscopic 3D with the right plugin.

Just amazing... Metroid Prime in 3D.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wdmyj6.png[IMG]

From a thread here:-

[url]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=108217[/url]

More piccies here:-

[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/32634936@N05/sets/72157622201239681/[/url][/QUOTE]
Oh my god, it's full of stars.

Cruceh

Banned
I don't know how to get the 360 controller to work. I plug it in, press buttons, and nothing happens. I can't get keyboard to work either. The only thing that works is the mouse left click. :(

Is it worth it to get a bluetooth adapter for my wii remote? Will I need multiple adapters for more than 1 remote?

MNC

Oh shit! Awesome :eek: But isn't stereoscopic where you crosseye? Anyway, I hate how there isn't a universal 3D glasses. Or that people would just START PRODUCING images meant for only one kind of glasses. red/green, whatever. Or the awesome cinema glasses that look fashionable and have these dark grey tainted glasses.

Cruceh

Banned
MNC said:
Oh shit! Awesome :eek: But isn't stereoscopic where you crosseye? Anyway, I hate how there isn't a universal 3D glasses. Or that people would just START PRODUCING images meant for only one kind of glasses. red/green, whatever. Or the awesome cinema glasses that look fashionable and have these dark grey tainted glasses.
Yeah, yuck. I put on my 3d glasses I stole from 6-flags and it doesn't work. The right lens is just all dark. Will the red/green ones work?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Crunched said:
Oh my god, it's full of stars.

Apparently you can play Mario Galaxy in proper 3D. It must be an amazing experience.

Aesius

Sectus said:
Did you try the latest version on that page? The version I'm using right now was the latest version a few days ago, I'm just periodically updating. REmake has been working perfectly for me for many revisions now.

Well, I tried the x64 version of rev. 4867 and, while the game isn't completely broken, there is a weird fogging effect in certain rooms and occasional extreme slowdown.

Very disappointing. I actually had great luck with a very old rev. I found - 2745. Full speed the entire way through, and no graphical glitches. Unfortunately, it crashes after I go through a door on the way to Lisa Trevor's cabin.

I realize how complicated the emu process is, but I really wish somebody could compile a list for the most popular games showing which settings to use and have links available for the best rev for each game.

So we took a bunch of games that only rendered in 2D at 480p with no AA, and rendered them in 3D at 1080p and shitloads of AA?

PC truly is the master race.

Aesius said:
I realize how complicated the emu process is, but I really wish somebody could compile a list for the most popular games showing which settings to use and have links available for the best rev for each game.
I swear they have this to some extent on the Dolphin forums. If not then I agree that such a thing is needed for this and PCSX2, it would save much screwing around and constant questions.

.:Wesker:. said:
PC truly is the master race.
I wish your avatar would join us :l

freddy

Banned
I'm seeing lots of praise for this emulator in here in the last couple of pages. When I tried it almost every game had massive slowdown issues and major flaws even on Gamecube games like Twilght Princess. In short the screenshots looked good but the performance was lacking. Anything changed or are these comments by screenshot whores? A comment from someone who isn't invested emotionally in the project would be nice.

Datschge

freddy said:
In short the screenshots looked good but the performance was lacking. Anything changed or are these comments by screenshot whores?
As far as I can see this emu is causing people to invest in bleeding edge CPUs and GPUs to have the games run smoothly. Your machine may simply not be up to the task.

Sectus said:
If the backgrounds were re-rendered in high resolution, REmake would be a perfect fit for current gen consoles.

I'd imagine Capcom rendered the original backgrounds at a much higher res so they could mess around with them with Photoshop, color correction, and so on, only to scale them down later. Nothing beats high res source art.

Top Bottom