• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Nabs

Bear said:
Is it possible to mess around with controls using Dolphin? I've always liked Metal Slug and I understand the only version of MSA that runs well is the Wii version (plus it's the only version I can find nowadays, and quite cheap too), but for whatever reason the game doesn't support the classic controller. I already have my Wii controllers hooked up to my PC for various games anyway, so could I map the controls in Dolphin to use the CC in games that don't actually support it?

yup. i do that for excitebots (pitch = left and right on the d-pad) and mario (shake = r1, pitch = l2 & r2). i need to get a bluetooth dongle/adapter though.

ImNotLikeThem said:
Nabs: Curious, what are your system specs? Couldn't find if you had posted them earlier in the thread but I was interested to see what you have for a setup.

i7 860 / 5850

Kimosabae

Banned
Might as well ask here:

Anyone have any experience with 3d party Wii component cables? Need to buy some, but I want to get them cheap as possible and Amazon's selling the officials for only 3 dollars less than MSRP.

Any Wii components should do, right?

ATF487

Kimosabae said:
Might as well ask here:

Anyone have any experience with 3d party Wii component cables? Need to buy some, but I want to get them cheap as possible and Amazon's selling the officials for only 3 dollars less than MSRP.

Any Wii components should do, right?

From what I remember, the main issue with cheap component cables is shielding. There might be some interference from other stuff close to your console. However, seeing how it's only 480P, I'd just get the cheap component cables and save 20+ dollars. If they don't work that well, or at all, you're only out a few dollars.

I bought the official Nintendo ones when they were 40, and I definitely don't think it was worth it.

Hmm, would it be possible to run a game on your computer like you are doing, and then for your monitor make it an HDTV, giving yourself a WiiHD?

Schlomo

How are people ripping their Wii games to their PC?

I just got a new PC and wanted to try Dolphin, so I ripped some games to an external HDD via Configurable USB Loader. My HDD is formatted in FAT format and I got .wbfs files. Dolphin apparently only reads .iso files. Is there a program to convert them?

I found file managers that will extract .isos from WBFS-formatted drives, but I would like to keep my HDD in FAT format.

Luigiv

Schlomo said:

I just got a new PC and wanted to try Dolphin, so I ripped some games to an external HDD via Configurable USB Loader. My HDD is formatted in FAT format and I got .wbfs files. Dolphin apparently only reads .iso files. Is there a program to convert them?

I found file managers that will extract .isos from WBFS-formatted drives, but I would like to keep my HDD in FAT format.
You could use DVD dumper to dump .iso files straight to your PC, through the network, though that's a lot slower then ripping to the USB drive and transferring straight to your PC. Have no idea on how to convert .wbfs files, my drive is wbfs formatted.

Firestorm

Setvan2734 said:
Hmm, would it be possible to run a game on your computer like you are doing, and then for your monitor make it an HDTV, giving yourself a WiiHD?
That's what I'm doing right now. Haven't got the pointer working though...

Schlomo said:

Is there any reason to use FAT? I'm using a dedicated HDD on my Wii. I replaced my Laptop HDD a while back so just using my old one in a $3 external case.

Nabs said:
yup. i do that for excitebots (pitch = left and right on the d-pad) and mario (shake = r1, pitch = l2 & r2). i need to get a bluetooth dongle/adapter though.

i7 860 / 5850
This is what I'm using for Bluetooth: http://www.dealextreme.com/feedbacks/BrowseReviews.dx/sku.11866

$1.98

Okay, so I got a 1080p TV, and I tried Dolphin out on it... and it's so amazing! Why it took me so long to jump in to HD I don't know, but I didn't think it'd be that much of a difference. I played Mario Kart Wii (slow at times but really beautiful), Wind Waker, Muramasa, and New SMB Wii.

Playing it on a TV with an Xbox controller makes it feel like the real thing, too, but in HD.

I've used Dolphin before, but I can't find a couple of things...
1, where are the nightly builds? I can't find them...
2, is there a specific place where everyone shares their configuration to get games working at maximum speed?

As for the people loking for a Wii game dumper...

I know that there is a Waninkoko game dumper that can dump games to an SD card's FAT or to a USB stick's FAT. I used to use it before the advent of WBFS.

I think you'll need his cIOS installed, though...

JADS

Why would you do that? said:
Okay, so I got a 1080p TV, and I tried Dolphin out on it... and it's so amazing! Why it took me so long to jump in to HD I don't know, but I didn't think it'd be that much of a difference. I played Mario Kart Wii (slow at times but really beautiful), Wind Waker, Muramasa, and New SMB Wii.

Playing it on a TV with an Xbox controller makes it feel like the real thing, too, but in HD.

I've used Dolphin before, but I can't find a couple of things...
1, where are the nightly builds? I can't find them...
2, is there a specific place where everyone shares their configuration to get games working at maximum speed?

As for the people loking for a Wii game dumper...

I know that there is a Waninkoko game dumper that can dump games to an SD card's FAT or to a USB stick's FAT. I used to use it before the advent of WBFS.

I think you'll need his cIOS installed, though...

http://dolphin-emulator.com/ <- for nightly builds
http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-6003.html <- For game settings

Personaly, I use a WBFS formated HD with USB Loader GX to dump my games. Is pretty quick and hasn't let me down so far.

Durante

mikespit1200 said:
What resolution can I typically run Wii games with a 3.3GHz Athlon II x3?
The resolution depends mostly on which GPU you use -- the CPU speed determines which games you can run at full speed. With a 3.3 Athlon II you should be able to run less taxing games at full speed, and many others at playable rates.

Durante said:
The resolution depends mostly on which GPU you use -- the CPU speed determines which games you can run at full speed. With a 3.3 Athlon II you should be able to run less taxing games at full speed, and many others at playable rates.

My full specs are a 3.3GHz Athlon II, ATI 5770 1GB and 4GB of RAM. I'm mostly aiming for the Metroid Prime games and Mario Galaxy. I tried out Galaxy at full 1680 x 1050 but it ran I think in the teens for fps. Maybe I just need mess with the settings. Is there some sort of database for game settings though? I looked through the post above but each game thread requires you to read the entire thing to find the actual settings instead of being in the OP.

edit: what about filters? Does applying 4x/8x AA affect fps with regard to the CPU or GPU?

JADS said:
http://dolphin-emulator.com/ <- for nightly builds
http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-6003.html <- For game settings

Personaly, I use a WBFS formated HD with USB Loader GX to dump my games. Is pretty quick and hasn't let me down so far.
Ah, thanks very much! Appreciated.

Also, the thing about WBFS managers is that they can't dump Gamecube games. (Or... Can they now? That would make me happy.) When I dump Gamecube games, since I have an SD Gecko, I use the Gamecube homebrew GCBoot (a Gamecube ISO loader) to dump Gamecube games to my SDHC card.

However, if you don't have an SD Gecko, then one option for dumping Gamecube games is Waninkoko's dumper, which dumps to an SD card or USB stick (slower, since it was only USB 1.1 at that time).

Kimosabae

Banned
Can someone give me a quick rundown of what's happening in this thread? The OP doesn't really give any info. Are people modding their Wiis to run these games in HD on their TV, or is it an emulator for the PC?

Durante

AFAIK there's actually a OSX version, but you can't use the DirectX plugin (which is usually better performing) and unless you own a mac pro you'll likely not have enough CPU power.

Speaking of the DirectX plugin... where is it? I downloaded the x64 nightly version of Dolphin and am running in Windows 7, and DirectX plugin just isn't there. Tried searching for it, or to see if it was discontinued, found nothing. :(

Chris R

Firestorm said:
I actually just ordered this to because I want to play my Wii in my bedroom and my current monitor only has DVI/HDMI/VGA input and figured getting the Emulator setup running on my PC (Q9550, R4870) would be fun to work around with.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet (but I will, had to Google search to bring it up), but hopefully someone can answer this question. Do I have to build a Wii Sensor Bar to use with this? If so, which would be the best (and cheap) guide to follow to build a sensor bar? Again, if this is answered in the first page of this thread don't jump all over me because I'll be reading this entire thread over the course of tonight.

rhfb said:
I actually just ordered this to because I want to play my Wii in my bedroom and my current monitor only has DVI/HDMI/VGA input and figured getting the Emulator setup running on my PC (Q9550, R4870) would be fun to work around with.

I haven't read through the entire thread yet (but I will, had to Google search to bring it up), but hopefully someone can answer this question. Do I have to build a Wii Sensor Bar to use with this? If so, which would be the best (and cheap) guide to follow to build a sensor bar? Again, if this is answered in the first page of this thread don't jump all over me because I'll be reading this entire thread over the course of tonight.

I just turn on my Wii and use its sensor bar (I use my TV as my desktop display). The Wii's idle power usage is ridiculously low so its a pretty "easy-way-out" solution if you have your Wii in the same room.

Chairhome

kiruyama said:
I just turn on my Wii and use its sensor bar (I use my TV as my desktop display). The Wii's idle power usage is ridiculously low so its a pretty "easy-way-out" solution if you have your Wii in the same room.
I wouldn't want to leave my Wii idling like that, personally. I thought all you need is two LEDs or lights and you're set for a sensor bar, right?

Chairhome said:
I wouldn't want to leave my Wii idling like that, personally. I thought all you need is two LEDs or lights and you're set for a sensor bar, right?

well, if you were to actually play the game on your Wii you'd be using more power anyway, but I can see how it might bother you. And yes, any IR lights will work--I've tried remotes, candles, etc and they're all picked up, but they can be inconsistent and jittery. I'm sure there are some homemade remedies easy findable via google.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Question.

Would my:
1.8GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
512MB ATI All-in-Wonder HD Video Card
2GB of RAM

be enough to play any of these Wii games decently?

I play L4D2 just fine at 1080p with 40fps, so I'm curious.

Also how the hell do you play games that require the sensor bar on the PC?

Firestorm

No.

And sensor bar doesn't send any info to the Wii. It's just two LEDs that allows the camera to figure out what point in space it's in.

Edit: Oh you have to turn the Wii on to use the sensor bar? Well that'd explain why it didn't work for me :lol durr me smrt

Luigiv

This thread needs some Monster Hunter Tri running in Native HD. The pictures posted a few months were running on an older build that only upscaled the game and hardly did it justice.

Got the game running at 1680 x1050 with 4xMSAA and 16xAF. Close to full speed, too, only using one 2.77GHz Core 2 core! Unfortunately the game still has some glitches, most notably the bloom lighting. First picture has bloom enabled, to demonstrate, the rest have it disabled.

6ritl0.jpg

11k8dy0.jpg

kbqhyu.jpg

dyvkzt.jpg

2hh1wtl.jpg

2dujv39.jpg

f3ho4z.jpg

313odtx.jpg

2w5ll4j.jpg

55fbpi.jpg

344z24y.jpg

nd0ltt.jpg

2mq9kba.jpg

3090owz.jpg

f9oxh2.jpg

These shots are from the demo using a custom build of SVN R4790, compiled by Dolphin Forum member Spellforce. Here's the thread I found it in, if you're interested. Spellforce's builds appears later in the thread but I'd advise you read the first several pages first, as they explain which settings to use.

Edit: A bit late, but I finally got off my ass and figured out how to compress the images with PS elements. Now the images are about 300kb each as opposed to 7MB.

Hieberrr

Can someone help me out, please?

I got the latest rev of the emulator from one of the links above and for some reason my PC has never been so good with emulators, speed wise that is.

Here are my specs:

Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz
4GB Ram
32-Bit OS
NVidia 9800GT 512MB

Is this even a decent rig to run games at native res and at a stable framerate? or should I just stick to the actual Wii?

scitek

Hieberrr said:

I got the latest rev of the emulator from one of the links above and for some reason my PC has never been so good with emulators, speed wise that is.

Here are my specs:

4GB Ram
32-Bit OS
NVidia 9800GT 512MB

Is this even a decent rig to run games at native res and at a stable framerate? or should I just stick to the actual Wii?

They say you want a higher clock CPU than that to run really well, but I have a 2.8 GHz that I overclocked to 3.25 and I can run games like The Wind Waker fine. The emulator only uses 2 cores from what I gather, so you don't need more than a dual. Just give it a try.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Geez, Monster Hunter doesn't look all that hot when viewed at such a resolution. It's like they built the game with a PSP port in mind. :\

JADS

Hieberrr said:

Here are my specs:

4GB Ram
32-Bit OS
NVidia 9800GT 512MB

With a slight OC you will be able to run most games, however try playing around with some settings first. Disabling audio trottle (Under DSP plugin) and enabling framelimit can make quite a difference from time to time. Some games play well with the OGL plugin while others play great with the DirectX plugin, the DirectX plugin is a bit faster most of the time though. Have a look at Copy to GL texture it's under the Advance tab of your graphic plugin. It can greatly improve your FPS while sacrificing some compatibility.

Hieberrr

scitek said:
They say you want a higher clock CPU than that to run really well, but I have a 2.8 GHz that I overclocked to 3.25 and I can run games like The Wind Waker fine. The emulator only uses 2 cores from what I gather, so you don't need more than a dual. Just give it a try.

JADS said:
With a slight OC you will be able to run most games, however try playing around with some settings first. Disabling audio trottle (Under DSP plugin) and enabling framelimit can make quite a difference from time to time. Some games play well with the OGL plugin while others play great with the DirectX plugin, the DirectX plugin is a bit faster most of the time though. Have a look at Copy to GL texture, it's under the Advance tab of your graphic plugin. It can greatly improve your FPS while sacrificing some compatibility.

Thanks, I changed some things and I've seen a lot of improvements :D Although I'll see about OCing because I bought my computer from Dell and I literally have no clue when it comes to OCing.

Luigiv

dark10x said:
Geez, Monster Hunter doesn't look all that hot when viewed at such a resolution. It's like they built the game with a PSP port in mind. :\
I'm willing to bet once the bloom is fixed it'll look considerably better. The bloom really is quite masterfully done when rendered correctly. And a big part of the visual fidelity is the animations, which the screens obviously don't capture. But yeah, the game doesn't scale up to 1680x1050 quite as well as some other Wii games do (or at least moga forest and these small monsters don't).

That being said, Having played the MH3 demo and MHFU side by side (occasionally on the same screen), trust me when I say Capcom will have a hard job of porting MH3 content to the PSP.

MNC

Monster Hunter looks pretty awesome, but only because of the environments. The textures are bad at that resolution. So, is Monster Hunter basically an offline MMO for 4 player co-op with realtime gameplay/action instead of click and attack?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Whoa, what's up with the MH3 HUD elements being waaaay higher resolution bitmaps than they need to be for 480p?

Careful planning for Wii HD?

Does anybody have Godzilla Unleashed for the Wii? That's a very underrated (GRAPHICALLY) game on the Wii.

70ewci.jpg

x1fzuc.jpg

I'd love to see what that sucker looks like in HD. Specially the gorgeous water and bump mapped snow.

Durante

Aokage said:
Whoa, what's up with the MH3 HUD elements being waaaay higher resolution bitmaps than they need to be for 480p?
This is the case for a remarkably large number of Wii games, and has lead to the obvious speculation. Anyway, it's awesome for Dolphin users.

Tenbatsu

Wow at MH3 HD! I bet it will look really pretty in motion. They should emulate the final product thou, especially the desert and the rainforest.

Firestorm

Anony said:
i have this, there's no software or anything that came with it
what software are you using, i tried xp's built in bt and an old bt disc i had from a broken bt dongle (doesnt work, just incompatible device and limits you)
I'm on Windows 7 so Windows downloaded drivers automatically.

I have a i7 920 at 3.6ghz(i managed to go to 4.0ghz) and a hd5870, what are the best configs to play these games and which graphic plugin should i use....

Nabs

Bluemercury said:
I have a i7 920 at 3.6ghz(i managed to go to 4.0ghz) and a hd5870, what are the best configs to play these games and which graphic plugin should i use....

you're gonna have to fool around with various configs. one BIG thing to remember is that the i7 has hyper threading, so Dolphin will think that the first virtual core is a real one. You'll want to right click dolphin.exe in the taskmanager and 'set affinity'. make sure CPU 1 (the second one) isn't selected, and I think you should be fine.

in dolphin you'll probably want to use Direct3D9 most of the time. in there, use the EFB Scaled Copy Hack, as well as 'Enable EFB Copy to Texture'. i also use safe texture cache, but i dunno if it helps.

turn off Framelimit, and if a game runs poorly, mess w/ the dsp throttle options.

Luigiv

SecretBonusPoint said:
Any chance of re-saving those MH3 HD shots properly so theyre not like 7mb each? Can't be making them easy to load for anyone else!
I don't have any good compression software, so unless you like Microsoft paint quality jpgs... Anyway, I'm not quite sure why they got so large when I uploaded them. They're only 2-3MB each on my HDD.

Top Bottom