• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware 4.0: SD and SDHC Card menu confirmed! Already Installed HBC is safe!

Blu_LED said:
Wait so you can't play games off the SD card? How is this different from before?

Technically you're not playing games from SD. From an end user's point of view you are.

They're faking it, but the end result is that you can store and "run" your games from the SD card. It's just fake and bad programming ethic.

Gagaman

goldenticket said:
what does this do to wii development going forward. like can patches be released for bug fixes? can this lead to a netflix wii? (im already happy with it on my 360 just wondering) downloadable content?
Hopefully it opens it up to bigger downloads in some form at least, even if it means the bigger files have to have a "SD card only" option for them to fit.

Gagaman said:
Hopefully it opens it up to bigger downloads in some form at least, even if it means the bigger files have to have a "SD card only" option for them to fit.

No download/Wiiware/etc game can ever be more than 512MB (or rather less, whatever is available in the Wii flash after IOS installations etc., which is approximately 256MB I believe).

This is because whatever you're "running" from SD has to be COPIED to the Wii's internal flash and it plays from there using the Wii internal memory as a "cache".

markatisu

Dragona Akehi said:
No download/Wiiware/etc game can ever be more than 512MB (or rather less, whatever is available in the Wii flash after IOS installations etc., which is approximately 256MB I believe).

This is because whatever you're "running" from SD has to be COPIED to the Wii's internal flash and it plays from there using the Wii internal memory as a "cache".

Would they need to be, we have seen some good solid games come in at the 40mb limit of WiiWare, and wasnt Luigis Mansion only really 187mb and just padded on the Gamecube?

Anony

goldenticket said:
what does this do to wii development going forward. like can patches be released for bug fixes? can this lead to a netflix wii? (im already happy with it on my 360 just wondering) downloadable content?

someone stated in the homebrew thread, because of the wii's ios, patches are impossible even in the future (unless nintendo changes ios)

markatisu said:
Would they need to be, we have seen some good solid games come in at the 40mb limit of WiiWare, and wasnt Luigis Mansion only really 187mb and just padded?

All I'm saying is that this does NOT remove size restrictions for Wiiware/downloads, because of the fact it just transparently dumps whatever it is into the Wii internal memory.

Nintendo will keep size restrictions for Wiiware/DLC.

Gagaman

Dragona Akehi said:

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. Never mind.

Ranger X

Nobody answered my question...

I know the games called from the SDcard will cache in the Wii system memory. Now what happens with the game image? Does it keep all my games image (like when you play a game from the Wii system memory) or it will be erased just like the cache if I start a second game from the card?

So we still have to use regular SD cards with games like Smash Bros. and Guitar Hero, right? The only reason I'd need a SDHC card is for the 200+ block Guitar Hero DLC, but this wouldn't help with that at all.

They can't update the games so it's kinda like the DS games not being able to use the DSi's WPA security. Right?

Having all this space feels so liberating. I'm just thinking I should go ahead and get the 32GB SDHC for the inevitable giant WiiWare files coming down the pipelines.

Kenka

jrricky said:
so does this open up for demos?

I would say no. Or maybe there is a possibility if Wii's internal memory is used in a clever way (which means not charging the full data into it but rather stream lesser quantites of data to it at an adequate rate)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Dragona Akehi said:
Demos were always possible, as long as they were within the filesize limit (<256MB). Nintendo doesn't believe in demos for the most part though.

Yeah, if I had demos I wouldn't have thrown away probably a total of 15 dollars on VC and a fortune on other Wii games that just weren't for me

Of course I would spend more because now I don't buy anything if I am not 100 percent sure of it, so maybe they SHOULD reconsider

Ranger X

Also, will I finally be able to move the damned Weather and News channel out of my god damned Wii?

If yes, this is the best update ever.

lsslave said:
Yeah, if I had demos I wouldn't have thrown away probably a total of 15 dollars on VC and a fortune on other Wii games that just weren't for me

Of course I would spend more because now I don't buy anything if I am not 100 percent sure of it, so maybe they SHOULD reconsider

I'm honestly still astounded that Nintendo is allowing DS game demos via the Nintendo channel.

Kenka

So :

- we'll be able to store more software in the future
- but they'll likely not be bigger than the current ones

(cough)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Ranger X said:
Also, will I finally be able to move the damned Weather and News channel out of my god damned Wii?

If yes, this is the best update ever.

Nope, they don't register as channels in your menu

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah... you're fucked now.

...Until marcan and Bushing release the next exploit, that is.

Seeing as I barely used my Wii at all before today, I guess it doesn't matter. By the time some homebrew I'm interested in pops up I'm sure they'll be rolling again.

TheGreatDave said:
Seeing as I barely used my Wii at all before today, I guess it doesn't matter. By the time some homebrew I'm interested in pops up I'm sure they'll be rolling again.

The main thing I use it for is GeckoOS. I can't imagine not being able to access that. I also went ahead and installed DVDX just in case, despite not really needing it.

Dragona Akehi said:
The main thing I use it for is GeckoOS. I can't imagine not being able to access that. I also went ahead and installed DVDX just in case, despite not really needing it.

I installed Homebrew purely because I wanted to play a friend's PAL disc on my imported Wii. Beyond that I've not really messed with it. If I was PAL only I'd probably be in tears now.

markatisu

Dragona Akehi said:
All I'm saying is that this does NOT remove size restrictions for Wiiware/downloads, because of the fact it just transparently dumps whatever it is into the Wii internal memory.

Yeah I was just implying they could increase the restriction to maybe 80mb or 100mb and not really screw the system that much. But it would allow developers a much greater amount of room (since Hudson for example was saying they could do a lot more with Onslaught if given the extra room).

markatisu

TheGreatDave said:
I installed Homebrew purely because I wanted to play a friend's PAL disc on my imported Wii. Beyond that I've not really messed with it. If I was PAL only I'd probably be in tears now.

There should be a fix shortly, it was basically hacked a few mins after it came out so now its just getting it all packed up and released like the Tona Wii Shop custom installer or some of the more seedier apps out there that are not available on Wii Brew

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sounds fucking awesome. Gonna hold off and see how the homebrew community deals with this first, though.

Linkhero1

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm keeping it at 3.3 lol. I must have GeckoOS available at all times. I'm paranoid that it would stop working one day if I update.

wsippel

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Technically you're not playing games from SD. From an end user's point of view you are.

They're faking it, but the end result is that you can store and "run" your games from the SD card. It's just fake and bad programming ethic.
It's not really a bad solution, because there's probably no other way to do it. The basic design was lazy, and they did what they could to "fix" it. The implementation is far from perfect, though. Who cares, it works.

volmer

Just updated and HBC works... as mentioned ~four thousand times already. :)

"Menu Loader" no longer works for region free channels, however, which sucks for me since I bought World of Goo from the US shop back then (when it was still planned for a late disc-only release in PAL-land.)

So... do I plow down another 1500 points for the EU version, or does some tool exist for changing a channel's region? :/

Ranger X said:
Nobody answered my question...

I know the games called from the SDcard will cache in the Wii system memory. Now what happens with the game image? Does it keep all my games image (like when you play a game from the Wii system memory) or it will be erased just like the cache if I start a second game from the card?

You're talking about the save state? Like when you pick up just where you left it? It stores those!

DeaconKnowledge said:
So has anyone confirmed that you can download straight to your SD card from the Wii shop? If not i'll do so now.

Confirmed.

It's in the OP :\

Mejilan said:
Sounds fucking awesome. Gonna hold off and see how the homebrew community deals with this first, though.

Mej, marcan said it's safe to go ahead and upgrade as long as you have everything you want already installed on your Wii. More exploits are "already on their way". He said it won't be a problem with BootMii either.

So I'd go ahead.

MarkusRJR

After moving all of my VC/WiiWare/Channels over, I have only 1000 blocks left (because of all of my save data). I fucking hate how some of the game saves can't be transferred over. :(

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Unregistered007 said:
OH SHIT .. in before Nintendo Invented SD cards...

I could have sworn I saw a Nintendo-branded SD card in a store somewhere, though it could have been a third-party card advertising that it's usable on the Wii.

Somnid

Actually the update isn't sloppy at all. The Flash RAM is specialized piece of hardware that is very important to Wii security policy. Trying to patch around it would be stupid. What Marcan doesn't seem to understand is that it would have worked this way regardless of how Wii's IOS system worked. It's never a good idea to circumvent your own security because backdoors simply lead to worse problems.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
stuminus3 said:
"Hey we did this awesome thing. By the way, you can pick it up on the way out the door. No hype train for you!"

"That's cause we put the train in our new Zelda game. Enjoy!"

Dragona Akehi said:

"bad programming ethic"?

I disagree. It's a solution, and it may even be the ideal solution for the situation after we weigh all the pros and cons of running Wii software directly from an SD device. But as for this approach, it:

1) acts as a viable way to avoid "fridge cleaning" shenanigans. Solves the problem.
2) allows the SD card to be kept read only. Helpful. Won't trash your card, no matter what goes wrong.
3) from Nintendo's perspective, doesn't introduce weird problems they haven't tested as thoroughly, like extra latency or whatever other slight differences in the way the SD handles calls compared to the internal flash. The VC and WiiWare games are being run exactly the same way as before -- drastically minimizing the chance of something going up in flames.

There are also a few cons (though extra wear on flash drives is an overblown problem, assuming the memory has decent wear levelling ... which it damn well better), but given that there are already 50 million odd Wiis running around, blowing up the entire existing system for the 100% optimal solution is much less feasible than a clever bandaid solution like this one.

It's still annoying they didn't plan for it from the start, though.

BikoBiko

Iam Canadian said:
I could have sworn I saw a Nintendo-branded SD card in a store somewhere, though it could have been a third-party card advertising that it's usable on the Wii.
There are some white Wii SD cards out there, yes.

Dragona Akehi said:

They could increase it to around 100-150MB surely. Even with limits being higher on PSN/XBLA most games still fall around that mark. Coupled with the fact that WiiWare games would be inherently smaller due to lower quality assets being needed (As well as the use of midi which IIRC can't be done on 360 or PS3 since they don't have midi hardware) it would be a good size.

Neomoto

I think this is a good solution to the storage problem. About damn time though, still a nice surprise because it came out of nowhere and ready to go right away.

markatisu

Did the update, all my HBC stuff still works (VBA, FCEA, ScummVM, Gecko OS)

And things transfer a LOT faster than they did before in the Wii side, I did notice a slowdown on the HBC side but as long as stuff works thats fine with me

Top Bottom