• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii firmware 4.0: SD and SDHC Card menu confirmed! Already Installed HBC is safe!

Just did the Wii update, and it has added an SD Card menu on the menu. Gonna get some pictures soon! EXCITE!

Edit:

- Support for up to 32GB SDHC cards confirmed.

- Adds an SD Card menu accessible from the Wii Menu. STORAGE SOLUTION!

- Games transfered to the SD Card can basically be played from the SD Card. They are transfered to the Wii Memory before play, and deleted afterwards. An N64 game takes about ten seconds to load! If you don't have enough room on the Wii Memory, there's an automatic feature that'll transfer games to the SD card for you.

If you have played a game through the SD Card, and play it again later without loading something else off the card, you won't need to preload the game (meaning the few second load isn't there).

This means there's next to no reason to have VC games on the Wii Memory.

- You can download games directly from Wii Shop to the SD card.

- Save data must be accessed from the main Wii memory.

- The updates adds a "Virtual Console Arcade" menu in Wii Shop, contains a few Arcade games.

- For the homebrewers: According to Wiibrew, system 4.0 somehow breaks some homebrew. Wait for a workaround before updating if you're nervous for breaking something.

Anything else?

Pictures:

v7z88z.jpg

2hxq5jc.jpg

24yztwj.jpg

6fw55e.jpg

2v9dvea.jpg

246s3a1.jpg

124f1cj.jpg

2uhpctk.jpg

Cataferal said:
But is it worth sacrificing homebrew?

I'm gonna update... I mean, hopefully the homebrew channel is unaffected or they find a way to keep it working...

but I have tonnes of stuff on my SD card that I took off cos it was taking too much space.

I'm happy its finally done, but I'm not gonna jam my head too far up Nintendo's ass in celebration. Its about damn time!

marcan said:
1. Add FAT filesystem code to IOS retroactively, disabling any SD access for titles that launch from SD
2. Add FAT filesystem code to IOS retroactively and push title updates for everything that uses SD, to remove the in-title FAT code and replace it with a new interface to IOS
3. Just fake it and transparently copy titles to the Wii system memory when you want to launch them, causing more Flash wear and tear and longer launching times

Chances are they’re going to go for number 3. And the only reason 1. and 2. exist is because downloadable content access is implemented through a unified “application security” subsystem, which forced them to define a sort-of-standard interface for it. They wouldn’t have done it otherwise.

Quoth the marcan: OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Cheesemeister said:
Once more for old time's sake...

[IG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/cheesemeister05/512mb.jpg[/IMG]
The fridge still exists. You just copy your things from a much larger fridge into a smaller fridge before you can use them. I don't really get it.

Y2Kev said:
The fridge still exists. You just copy your things from a much larger fridge into a smaller fridge before you can use them. I don't really get it.

It's Nintendo. There isn't really anything to get.

Y2Kev said:

You could already do that through the system settings menu!? Does this auto launch the games as well, as well as reserve some space for them and make the whole process transparent? If it doesn't do all of that then its basically a pointless update, as it'd only save all of 5 seconds on the previous method.

Capndrake

Bigger news: Arcade games on VC.

Mappy, Starforce, Tower of Druaga and Gaplus are available in Europe right now. 500 points each.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It would make sense to me if the system wiped the flash memory after every shut-off, but that would wear down the memory. You'd also need to be able to download directly to the SD card so that you don't have to move things off the Wii to the SD card to save memory.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
I just launched LostWinds from SD card. There wasn't enough room on my Wii for it to transfer temporarily to system memory, so the Wii offered me the chance to manage my files myself or have the Wii automatically move some channels to the sd card. I chose the latter, with the criteria being channels that are taking up a large amount of blocks. It automatically moved Toki Tori and some other something I didn't really pay attention to. One of the other criteria was to move channels starting from the rightmost channel screen.

Oh, and the SD card menu has 20 pages of channels.

You can also download VC/WiiWare games directly to the SD card, but if you only have a game on SD card, then the Titles You've Downloaded screen will show that title as Downloadable, rather than Downloaded.

Sophia

brain_stew said:
You could already do that through the system settings menu!? Does this auto launch the games as well, as well as reserve some space for them and make the whole process transparent? If it doesn't do all of that then its basically a pointless update, as it'd only save all of 5 seconds on the previous method.

It's all transparent; There's a separate menu for the SD card. Anything on the SD card can be loaded there, and has a slight load time (took roughly 2-3 seconds for Mega Man 9 to boot up)

Pretty nifty. I've already transferred all my VC/WiiWare stuff over. :D

EDIT: The store lets you save directly to an SD card now too... awesome.

Nishastra

Banned
By the way, I just put a 4gb MicroSDHC card in there (via adapter, of course) and it's able to read and work with it fine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
GeckoOS is the only app I need to load. Can anyone verify? I need to play my imports.

bryehn

So they ended up going the quick and dirty route.

Do you need ~50MB free on the user side of the Wii memory or are the games being loaded into the "other" 256MB? If you still need a half empty fridge this is hardly a solution.

Capndrake said:
Bigger news: Arcade games on VC.

Mappy, Starforce, Tower of Druaga and Gaplus are available in Europe right now. 500 points each.

What, for real!? Now that's a real megaton. So why in the hell did they have to feed us dozens of crappy aged console ports of arcade games for 2 years if they were never against adding arcade titles to the service?

Look forward to another 5 versions of Street Fighter 2, making all previous Street Fighter 2 purchases worthless overnight! Only Nntendo could get away with this sort of thing.

bryehn said:
So they ended up going the quick and dirty route.

Do you need ~50MB free on the user side of the Wii memory or are the games being loaded into the "other" 256MB? If you still need a half empty fridge this is hardly a solution.

Just always save your VC games straight to the SD card in future? Wouldn't that be fine, just leave your Wii memory empty?

later

It would be nice if they would somehow move the most used games on to the 512MB flash and move the least used games to the SD card transparently like once a week.. so that there is not as much wear and tear.

Metaphoreus said:
I just launched LostWinds from SD card. There wasn't enough room on my Wii for it to transfer temporarily to system memory, so the Wii offered me the chance to manage my files myself or have the Wii automatically move some channels to the sd card. I chose the latter, with the criteria being channels that are taking up a large amount of blocks. It automatically moved Toki Tori and some other something I didn't really pay attention to. One of the other criteria was to move channels starting from the rightmost channel screen.

Oh, and the SD card menu has 20 pages of channels.

You can also download VC/WiiWare games directly to the SD card, but if you only have a game on SD card, then the Titles You've Downloaded screen will show that title as Downloadable, rather than Downloaded.

Oh, excellent news, so it works exactly as I thought it would do, that'll do for me then, excellent update.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So here's how it works.

Leave space for one big game on your HD.

Now when you launch a game from the SD card, it temporarily caches that data on the drive until you're done playing, at which time it frees up the space.

So now instead of moving all kinds of crap around every time a new game comes out, you can put everything on the SD card and run from there.

markatisu

Why does anyone care if you have to have space on your Wii to temp run the games, the whole point of being able to use a 4-8gb SD Card is so you wont have stuff taking up your internal memory.

Its essentially the same system that works in GHWT and RB2 when you want to play DLC tracks and that works wonderfully

I cant wait to get home and try it (as long as it does not kill Homebrew completely)

Rash said:
So this update actually does allow you to download to and play games straight from the SD card?

Technically speaking? No, there's some jiggling about going on in the background.

From a user perspective? Yes, its all fully transparent, if you didn't know about the way the system works you'd never know the difference.

When you manage channels in the system menu now, you can "move" a file, rather than copy it. So it autodeletes when it's done. Is that new? I'm sure I remember it not being the case.

Davey Cakes

So this is pretty much what everyone wanted, right? The only difference is that the game takes up system memory while you're playing it, so you have to save some space on the side. And, if you don't have space saved, you are at least given the option to manage your channels.

Does this work across all consoles, or just the console that the games were moved/downloaded from?

So basically if I'm correct:

The VC game's channel data is accessable from the SD Card now, but the save data (which is puny in size anyway) has to remain in the main Wii memory correct?

Can someone confirm if you can save time by downloading new VC games directly to the SD Card?

And what's SDHC again?

Top Bottom